As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ipod Touch Help

Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
So I bought A 32 GB Ipod Touch tonight. I get home and am fooling with it and I attempt to connect it to the Wireless, go through the steps it finds the network and it says it has signal strength but it isn't able to connect to the internet.

My Laptop also knows the wireless is there, it says there is a strong signal, but it won't connect to it either. I think this may strictly be my Ipods issue because my other laptop connects, and I may have been using the wrong password for the first laptop

Ziac45 on

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    So this isn't really an iPod touch issue, now is it? If your laptop and printer won't connect you should probably start with your router.

Also, might want to take a little bit of time and proof your posts. That's difficult to understand.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry, been fooling with the thing all night and was getting frustrated. Okay well after further Testing the other laptop in my house (screens busted so it's not in use) will connect to the network just fine.

However using the same information on my Ipod it will not connect, it picks up the signal however it won't let me use any of the web based applications.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    My iPod touch has been wonky on networks before, but it's usually ones that require a log in screen. It works fine on my home network. Do you need a password? You don't have anything insane like WPA2 turned on, do you?

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Nope WEP and I need a password can't figure out how to disable that. I went through and changed the password for it to make sure I was using the right one and it still won't connect.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That's strange. Maybe someone else with an iPod touch will come around that uses WEP. I don't want to throw my network into cardiac arrest or I would switch it to test.

Satan. on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    So I bought A 32 GB Ipod Touch tonight. I get home and am fooling with it and I attempt to connect it to the Wireless, go through the steps it finds the network and it says it has signal strength but it isn't able to connect to the internet.

My Laptop also knows the wireless is there, it says there is a strong signal, but it won't connect to it either. I think this may strictly be my Ipods issue because my other laptop connects, and I may have been using the wrong password for the first laptop

Make sure your router is set to key 1 instead of key 2, key 3, or key 4. This was they key (hurr) to getting my Wii, iPhone, and DS online.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DaveheadDavehead Sitting at my computerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It sounds like it might be something in your router. My brother has an iPod Touch and I have an iPhone - neither of us have any trouble connecting to our home wireless network and the Internet. I will also second the "use Key 1" advice. There are all kinds of devices out there that flat out refuse to use any key but #1. The Wii, for example. My laptop doesn't seem to care for any of the others either.

Have you tried doing a cold restart of your router? Unplug it, leave it for a bit, and plug it back in? That usually gets my router to start behaving itself again when it forgets what it's supposed to be doing.

Davehead on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Multiple keys? What spawn of me are you guys using for routers?

Or: am I missing a setting on my AirPort Extreme somewhere?

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I doesn't surprise me that the apple implementation of a wireless spec leaves certain things out so as not to confuse the customer. This is not a troll.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I doesn't surprise me that the apple implementation of a wireless spec leaves certain things out so as not to confuse the customer. This is not a troll.

Yeah, but it was.

It's also not a requirement of the spec, dick. I've had non-Apple routers that didn't allow for this either.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Calm down, Satan. You're the one who said suggested that a router WITH these options is some spawn of the devil.

And I didn't say it was a requirement of the spec, dick. I only called into question their implementation. If you hadn't noticed, I previously called into question Nintendo's implementation too. I too used had non-apple routers that didn't allow for multiple keys either, for the same reason I said-- to reduce customer confusion. I didn't even say it was a bad thing. I doesn't surprise me that ANY consumer router leaves out these features. This is not a troll. Sorry if I offended you. Dick.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Calm down, Satan. You're the one who said suggested that a router WITH these options is some spawn of the devil.
    Like you couldn't tell that was a joke, especially with the gigantic "hey I didn't know this was an option with any router ever" statement following.
    Blah blah I'm a fucking troll blah blah blah

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    I don't know dick about routers but here I am in this thread hurffing and durrfing and insulting those who know what they are talking about.

Like I said, sorry if I offended you. I wish the OP would get back to us and tell us he fixed it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't know dick about routers but here I am in this thread hurffing and durrfing and insulting those who know what they are talking about.

Like I said, sorry if I offended you. I wish the OP would get back to us and tell us he fixed it.
    That's why I asked a fucking question. Should I start a new thread next time? I'll be sure to call everyone out that asks questions tangentially related to the thread form now on.

Christ you're dense as fuck.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So first you're just making a joke, and now you're asking a question? The confusion is on my end. To answer your question I will refer to the Cisco Aironet access point documentation.
    cisco wrote:
    You can enter up to four WEP keys. The key that you select as the transmit key must also be entered in the same key slot on client devices that associate with the access point or bridge, but it does not have to be selected as the transmit key on the client devices.

There are four key slots, according to the spec. Most client devices (phones, DS, gaming consoles, printers) only bother to implement the first slot. A better solution would be to internally store the same key in each of the four slots, while still only requiring the user to enter a single key. The reason is because the key entered into any given slot on the router has to match the key in the same slot on the client. The problem is that because the client devices only respond to transmissions made with key 1, using any other key on the router results in the client device going "wtf?"

It goes down like this:

Router: "yo laptop, what you got for key 1?"
    Laptop: "yo router, I got xyzqr for key 1."
    Router: "dig it baby. What you got for key 2?"
    Laptop: "shit daddy-o, you know I got abcdef!"
    Router: "you are so far out, solid, and right on"

Router: "yo iPhone, what you got for key 1"
    iPhone: "Hello router, I am pleased to report xyzqr for key slot 1."
    Router: "dig it, cat. Let's switch it up and use key 2, what do you got for key 2, baby?"
    iPhone: ".............."
    Router: "key 3? Come on, I know you can dig this."
    iPhone: "........."

Since consumers are the ones with these unhip devices, manufacturers of consumer routers elect to only deal with key 1, to avoid these awkward conversations between devices. Apple is one such manufacturer. The "spawn of you" routers that others are dealing with are probably just a little higher end, like pro-sumer routers or some shit. I've personally never owned a router without all four key slots, but I haven't used any brand new routers lately. I'd say electing to make things easier is good for the industry, which is why I am unsurprised you can't find the option on your Airport. I know (and love) that Apple is great at making things easier, which is why I was unsurprised.

I hope I helped. And no, I don't think you should make a new thread when you have a question. I do think you could benefit by 1.) not calling me a liar, and 2.) not being a rude piece of shit. Questions are good, combat is not.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    For your handy "how to read a post" print-n-keep pocket sized goodness, bold indicates the points you need to focus on:

The joke
    Multiple keys? What spawn of me are you guys using for routers?

The question
    Or: am I missing a setting on my AirPort Extreme somewhere?

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No. You are not missing a setting. And now you also know why you are not missing a setting. You should have a fantastic day from here on out.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No. You are not missing a setting. And now you also know why you are not missing a setting. You should have a fantastic day from here on out.

See, look how amazingly simple that was to begin with.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I reset the router and put it in Key 1 (as far as I know I did) and it still is not working. I personally think there is a good chance that I didn't put it in the right key or anything like that considering I have never fooled with my wireless before and am not the most tech savvy person out there. I followed a guide when doing it but I will go back tonight and do it again to see if I skipped a step.

Ziac45 on