As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

• Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    Oh, and is it too late to apply to the Six Mouths?

One of us. One of us.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    Oh, and is it too late to apply to the Six Mouths? I'd been following the thread (and very randomly posting in it) for a while now, ever since TSM first started, I believed. I didn't apply cause Witch Hunters (and their hats) were my previous fascination, but I've really lost interest in them and started to love the Greenskins and Chaos.

We have new applications almost every day which are always welcomed. Come join the tea party

narv107 on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    is anyone else really looking forward to the Zealot? The whole bird idea is really neat to me

Yeah, Zealots look sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing how their mechanics actually play out, but conceptually I've wanted to play one since day one.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    Arsenic CanaryArsenic Canary A Whirlwind of Joy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    TEA FOR THE TEA GOD! SCONES FOR THE SCONE THRONE!
    This made my morning. :D

I'm totally down to play a Dappa Choppa!

Arsenic Canary on
    Steam: arsenic_canary
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No problem; go ahead and sign up!

edit: so beat'd. Go refresh!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I need a firm date from Mythic as to when Warhammer launches.
    Because I need to pick a ship out date for Officer Candidate School. Get on it, Mythic!

Accualt on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I need a firm date from Mythic as to when Warhammer launches.
    Because I need to pick a ship out date for Officer Candidate School. Get on it, Mythic!

OCS? Really? Do you want to be known as a caditiot? Go 11b for a couple of years then go to OCS, you'll thank me. Really.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't think I understood a word you just said.
    I will assume it has something to do with Officers who have no previous enlisted experience getting less respec than those who do.
    This is Navy, btw.

Accualt on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will assume it has something to do with Officers who have no previous enlisted experience getting less respec than those who do.
    This is Navy, btw.

I have no idea what 11b is, but wanted to comment on Officers without previous enlisted experience and the amount of respect the receive. For the most part this is untrue, it really boils down to the officers attitude. You get a lot of officers that come straight out of collage and think they know everything and won't even think about listening to someone of lower rank then them. The problem lies in the people they're ignoring have years of real world experience working with the ancient equipment that make up the 'modern' US Navy. Things do not work without a lot of non-standard imaginative work a rounds. You'll be fine as long as you don't discount the Chief Petty Officer tells you, he's been doing the job for 20 years.

The average Navy ship is held together with sweat, bailing wire, blood, and lots and lots of grease. As an aside, never get into a Navy Helicopter thats not leaking oil, thats a really bad sign.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hehehe, Waithammer. :^:

So guys, I uh, just want to ask. How are we going to do the beta testing when* we get into it. Are we actually going to like, beta test and try and break stuff or just go around and break stuff as they intended.

I kinda want to screw around with the game more than actually play RvR over and over and over again. I wanna find some plungers of the world and lairs!

((*if ever))

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So, uh, I'm kind of perplexed that stealth is in the current demo build for conventions. I thought no stealth was a selling point with WAR?

http://www.multiplayer.it/articolo.php?id=26058&pag=2
    Timestamp 1:08 would be a good place to watch the Witch Elf not scream in bezerker fury but turn pale and transluscent as if entering stealth.

narv107 on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, uh, I'm kind of perplexed that stealth is in the current demo build for conventions. I thought no stealth was a selling point with WAR?

It's not stealth in the traditional sense.
    It has limitations that balance it much better than stealth in other games. Those details have not been fully released that I'm aware of so I'm not going to mention them here :) .

Selner on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I kinda like the AoC stealth system. All classes can stealth just not particularly well, with assassin's better at it. You use it for sneaking around in dungeons to bypass rooms/mobs. Seems like it would be a fun mechanic. Stealth in the WoW sense is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

edit: oh and the crafting system ... i'm not impressed at all with what i hear. Hopefully i will be pleasantly surprised. But i was sure they were adamant that there would be no sissy flower picking. How the fuck is collecting seeds and growing mushrooms any better?

Lly on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Do you mean how it drains AP? Cause you can see that in the video, and it was readily viewable in Paris. I just imagined the Witch Elves to be berserkers not assassins. I guess I expected WoW Enhancement Shaman or EQ Berzerkers not Rogues with stealth that has a timer.

narv107 on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cuz mushrooms grow into giant orkz?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That's a good question; what's to be gained from coordinating testing as a guild, compared to running around and doing what we want?

I'd imagine mirroring regular gameplay would make the most sense; have one or two coordinated events per week (or day...) where everyone is asked to submit experiences and guild leadership submits a high level review of the event (whether raid, organizing through guild tools, taking a keep, or whatever).

I would say the expectation would be that TSM members should be extremely active in giving feedback, and would volunteer my own time to help review and revise any submissions members would like me to look at.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yathrin wrote: »
    This is Navy, btw.

I have no idea what 11b is, but wanted to comment on Officers without previous enlisted experience and the amount of respect the receive. For the most part this is untrue, it really boils down to the officers attitude. You get a lot of officers that come straight out of collage and think they know everything and won't even think about listening to someone of lower rank then them. The problem lies in the people they're ignoring have years of real world experience working with the ancient equipment that make up the 'modern' US Navy. Things do not work without a lot of non-standard imaginative work a rounds. You'll be fine as long as you don't discount the Chief Petty Officer tells you, he's been doing the job for 20 years.

The average Navy ship is held together with sweat, bailing wire, blood, and lots and lots of grease. As an aside, never get into a Navy Helicopter thats not leaking oil, thats a really bad sign.

Ah, I didn't know you were talking Navy. The 11b MOS is infantry in the army, and a couple years in a line battalion would serve you VERY well as far as advancement and carrier development is concerned. I don't know squat about the navy.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We also need to find a really good spot to cyber. Sewers of Altdorf? The Bastion Stair?

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    D:

Singing the song of destruction does not involve cyborz.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    D:

Wouldn't Orc/Orc Cyborz destroy something? Like the very fabric of reality.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Entaru wrote: »
    D:

Wouldn't Orc/Orc Cyborz destroy something? Like the very fabric of reality.

Nope, just lore.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    40k Ork Cyboarz are awesome though. Bionic space warthogs? Hell yeah. Too bad 40k removed cool stuff like that years ago.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    40k Ork Cyboarz are awesome though. Bionic space warthogs? Hell yeah. Too bad 40k removed cool stuff like that years ago.

They redid feral orcs as a chapter approved army relatively recently

Ork Warboss on Cyboar got the big red knob.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    oh man this game has stealth?

totally called that and was then mocked by people here

Unknown User on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am disappointed by any form of stealth, since that was a big selling point for me. Being a caster with stealth melee around is silly.

It better suck pretty hard.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It drains AP, but it's still pretty gay.

815165 on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    what are you people talking about

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    what are you people talking about

Stealth.

Garthor on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    duh

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hopefully it's not actual stealth. Maybe it's a super-evade-you-can-see-but-can't-touch mode?

Also, a sneaky Witch Elf? Huh?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    stealth casters are the best

wytch elves are totally sneaky, until they decide its time to feed and then its scream bloody murder

Unknown User on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This stealth thing is confusing me ... which classes have stealth exactly? And where did this news pop up? Stealth sucks, especially in a heavily pvp oriented game.

Remember the days when night elf hunters could aim shot out of shadowmeld? haha that was a laugh, not.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That's a good question; what's to be gained from coordinating testing as a guild, compared to running around and doing what we want?

We're talking about the Guild Beta, right?

I think the Guild Beta is supposed to serve a couple purposes.
    1) test the Guild Management features.
    2) test the Guild Advancement features.
    3) test the Guild Keep features
    4) get lots of people into the Beta, to act a big hammer to smash things and see if they break.

I would imagine that the start of the Guild Beta will serve as the end of the Focused Testing thing they're doing now. As it's going to be quite a bit more difficult to corral all the crazy Guild people.

But if we, as a Guild, purposefully coordinate our activities that would probably be most helpful to Mythic. Like we could decide what sort of wacky things we can try and do to break the Guild Advancement System.

I would imagine that to specifically test the various Guild Features, we will have to act together as a Guild.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    This stealth thing is confusing me ... which classes have stealth exactly? And where did this news pop up? Stealth sucks, especially in a heavily pvp oriented game.

Remember the days when night elf hunters could aim shot out of shadowmeld? haha that was a laugh, not.

See the video linked on the last page; it seems to show a Witch Elf going "transparent" which drains her AP. The assumption is that this is some sort of stealth; she's not in combat at the time, so it's impossible to say if the enemy could see her or not.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    See the video linked on the last page; it seems to show a Witch Elf going "transparent" which drains her AP. The assumption is that this is some sort of stealth; she's not in combat at the time, so it's impossible to say if the enemy could see her or not.

There's also another vid or two where a Witch Hunter "pops" and attacks. It's assumed he was stealthed, and fired a pistol shot to reveal himself.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    One of the Witch Hunter mastery paths alluded to being all stealthy sneaky sneak.
    Personally I loath stealth in MMOs. One of the things my RL friends and I thought was AWESOME about WAR was the no stealth rule. Sounds like that isn't even a rule anymore. Still...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but if we end up seeing traditional MMO style stealth my waaaaaaaaaaaaagh is going to be replaced with LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME for awhile.

P.S. Thanks for that info, Yathrin. I don't plan on assuming I know everything, because I know my degree means dick all.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    what exactly is traditional MMO style stealth? what would you want to see that is different?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The guy killing my face, for one thing.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For me it's the fact that stealth = invisible. Which I think is absurd. I mean, making them hard to see and hard to hit while stealthed seems like a very feasible way to handle it and/or having some kind of perception traits for a character, rather than only one or two classes are able to see through stealth.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
This discussion has been closed.