As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Thread: moar like Waithammer Online

• Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Stealth in pve = fantastic. So much fun. Stealth in pvp = retarded (at least the way WoW does it).

Lly on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    None.

The Witch Elf and the Witch Hunter have stealth. Because apparently other means of getting within attack range were reserved for the other mDPS classes.

I don't see why they don't have something like Unstoppable Inquisition and Blood Frenzy where they have a runspeed buff, ranged avoidance boost, CC immunity, and no collision detection for a few seconds to get them into melee range.

narv107 on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Traditional MMO stealth is that stealth that is all kinds of super lame.
    I'm running across a grass field in the bright light of the sun and get stabbed in the face by an invisible enemy. NO. That is lame.
    Stealth should be, you know...stealthy. Like you actually have to creep around. Being completely in the open will expose you, so you'd have to use the coverage of trees or rubble of buildings to get your invisible bullshitness. I'm not saying you would actually have to have 100% of your body blocked by something to get your super loser stealth on but you should have to be in an area where it makes sense that characters could not see you coming. The bonus could be extended to you coming out of the woods, for instance. Like you've been lurking in them and you see some guy's back turned to you so you sneak out to stab him. If he turns to face you, so LOS is met, he should be able to see you. At least he should be able to see you within double the distance of melee. LOS is important in this, though. Don't make it so that if the person has their camera zoomed all the way out they can see any stealth guys sneaking up behind them. Also maybe make it so that whoever you have targeted has a I higher chance of seeing you...but then people will just target someone across the map and switch once they are in range so that doesn't really solve anything, nm.

In closing stealth is super lame and only super lame people who don't have the balls to fight like real men like using the typical MMO version of it. Stealth is only fun for the person who is stealthing.

P.S. I was a super lame Hunter in DAoC for awhile. It was a blast...just not for my enemies.

Accualt on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've noticed on these videos that people seem to get an alarming amount of xp for pvp kills. I like, nay love, the idea of being able to level through pvp alone .... but i also want to have fun with the pve content and from the looks of things we'll be deciding whether to pvp or not based on how much xp/levels we have till the next tier.

On the plus side, this means twinking won't be an issue in the game, and this comes from someone who loves twinking. (before you hate me, i am in the most competitive twinking realm in the eu so battles are twinks vs twinks, griefing non-twinks is not why i love it. And the twink guild i am in is the most loveable bunch of people i have met in WoW and are the only reason i consider logging in. .... so there) :P

Lly on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not sure from those videos, but I'm hoping going into stealth drains AP fast, so that it's prohibitive for someone to sneak around for a really long time before attacking. Having stealth in the game like the spy in Team Fortress 2 would be fine and dandy. Having stealth like a rogue in WoW or any other goddamn MMO with stealth is stupid.

Jebu on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    I've noticed on these videos that people seem to get an alarming amount of xp for pvp kills. I like, nay love, the idea of being able to level through pvp alone .... but i also want to have fun with the pve content and from the looks of things we'll be deciding whether to pvp or not based on how much xp/levels we have till the next tier.

On the plus side, this means twinking won't be an issue in the game, and this comes from someone who loves twinking. (before you hate me, i am in the most competitive twinking realm in the eu so battles are twinks vs twinks, griefing non-twinks is not why i love it. And the twink guild i am in is the most loveable bunch of people i have met in WoW and are the only reason i consider logging in. .... so there) :P

Nah, I think really gives someone an option on how they want to play. I'm sure the exp amounts will be balanced to reflect that. So it isn't a choice between "do I want to level and progress" or "do I want to PVP"
    This makes the game all the more awesome to me.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    I've played alot of games, and they all do it differently, so it's hard root for or against a person's perception of what stealth is, and how it is apparently handled in a game, so lets make up a hypothetical.

So what excactly is "traditional MMO Stealth"? Based on the following factors, a traditional stealther would be detected by one or more of the following:
    • Distance
    • terrain obstacles
    • the stealther's position relative to you (in front, behind, to the side)
    • the amount of mana/energy/ap/awesome juice/whatever the stealther has (the more "drained", the less stealthy)
    • your class (anti-stealth class or someone with detection abilities)
    • your level compared to theirs

I know WoW only does pretty much Distance (and yeah hunter flares too, lol), whereas UO only had collision detection for stealth, Shadowbane had anti-stealth classes (and a bit of distance), I'm sure there are other examples.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I swear, we can't go three freaking pages without, ZOMG WAR WILL SUCK BECAUSE OF THIS ONE THIGN!!!! Honestly guys, nothing, at all, has been said about this. They said somewhere that Witch Elves will be able to withdraw from combat pretty easily right? This is probably one of those abilities, and why it drained AP rather quickly, they don't want you being able to run all the way back to the town at the first sign of danger.

Ya, I realize this came off as rather standoffish but seriously, aren't we getting a bit paranoid?

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One would think we're queue queueing while waiting, as if in line, for WAR.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Honestly guys, nothing, at all, has been said about this

You mean, other than it isn't going to happen.

narv107 on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They said stealth wouldn't appear in its traditional MMO form.

Oats on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't really understand the stealth hate here. One of the things stealth does for open world pvp is break up the mexican stand-offs that make the game lame for anyone who isn't a ranged class.

Anyone remember the battle lines in SS/TM in WoW? It was amazing if you were ranged, and warriors were 100% useless. It's certainly going to be less of an issue in WAR since they're making tanks pvp viable, but it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

A few stealth classes combined with a tank charge will be great for breaking these fights up, and with the excellent AP draining system you won't have anything like the crazy frontloading that rogues had in WoW.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You guys know what fucking sucks about stealth, getting hit for about a fourth of your damage by an arrow and only having a general idea of where the fucker was when he launched it. And then they do it again, and then again. :|

Btw, new videos are up.

http://trailer.onlinewelten.com/videos,id3481,warhammer_online_hauptstaedte.html

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That likely won't be an issue.

From what we've seen, player health >> damage dealt in a single attack.

Oats on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Stealth is great for people who have it, and fucking bullshit for everyone else.

It MIGHT be ok for WAR since they have the whole chicken griefer thing. Still though, I'm pretty opposed to it (I had a 70 rogue too).

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh hey cool, apparently they are going to have a sort of web based email thing that will alert you when your city or keep or whatevers are under attack. That should be nifty...

Jeff said so about 30min in on that video I posted above. :D

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Stunlock was BS, Ambush-Backstab for half your health was BS, I never saw the problem as being stealth so much as the abilities that came with it, which are easy to do right. Druid cat form for instance, had lots of bleeds in the place of burst attacks, their stealth was more that acceptable to me.

Exarch on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh hey cool, apparently they are going to have a sort of web based email thing that will alert you when your city or keep or whatevers are under attack. That should be nifty...

I don't know how I feel about that. I can see sitting at work, watching emails come in...

Karak Eight-Peaks is under siege.

Karak Eight Peaks has been penetrated.

Grumlock and Gazbag are under attack.

Grumlock and Gazbag have been penetrated.

I just dunno...

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

I don't know how I feel about that. I can see sitting at work, watching emails come in...

Karak Eight-Peaks is under siege.

Karak Eight Peaks has been penetrated.

Grumlock and Gazbag are under attack.

Grumlock and Gazbag have been penetrated.

I just dunno...

Well, at that point if you still aren't in the game instead of working then you leave us little choice than to expel you from the guild.

Yes, even you.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I see how it is. You'd better hope you're on. All the time. Ever.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I see how it is. You'd better hope you're on. All the time. Ever.

War never ends. Neither should Warhammer.exe

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yes, especially Morskittar, you mean.

He's supposed to be the most zealous of us all.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Btw, they just explained that by the time your king is under attack, the city is already down to tier 1, torn to shit, and everything is already burned down to the ground with the PQs all done in by the attackers.

Not only that, but the King is also in an instance, so more people have a shot at fighting and killing him for the phat loot.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oatway wrote: »

Supposedly?

Bitch, tell me about Zoats.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I should stop watching videos, since all it does is make me jones for the game even more.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oatway wrote: »

Supposedly?

Bitch, tell me about Zoats.

Dragon-ogres with guns.
    Not really but kinda

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    jones? what are you? English?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The thread is reaching critical mass! She cannae' take i' cap'n!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    HUUUUUUGE hour+ long presentation guys...

With a funny super fucking European into thing too. Oh Europe...

http://trailer.onlinewelten.com/videos,id3478,warhammer_online_war_paris_praesentation.html

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oooh Guild Leadership clubs.

Swanky.

And Zoats (in WFB) are buddy-buddy with Wood Elves and carry American Gladiator foam mace staves.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Damn I'll have to listen to it at work tomorrow. Any cool parts i should actually watch the video for?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Damn I'll have to listen to it at work tomorrow. Any cool parts i should actually watch the video for?

It's more of the same we already have heard, actually.

But they do tend to elaborate more on certain things here and there that make you go, "ooh cool."

Like how the Slaneesh area of the inevitable city may or may not have lesbian statues, or the auction house which has place mats for the items in question, except the place mats are made out of human faces. :3

EDIT: Btw, I began watching this video like, 40min ago. It just NOW finished loading to 100%... :lol:

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, nice. Random "mob" content in cities? Sometimes you kick a door down, and there's no foes. Other invasions, there will be defenders.

I wonder if other players can get in them and ambush?

I really get the impression city fights could be epic. I think of the best AV fighting-in-burning-bunker experiences in WoW... times ten and with less Thunderfury and Night Elf Rogues.

edit: Also, the fact that there is some endgame content that cannot be reached without someone PvPing makes me happy. It's like an absolute declaration that yes, in fact, this is Warhammer.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    They went into good detail about quite a number of stuff like the tome of knowledge and other goodies in this presentation. It's a shame Paul couldn't be there.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, and to the mooooooon!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is this our first thread burnt through? I really need to order that CE!

And my apologies Morskittar, after watching the cities podcast again I realized I had been fooled by terminology. Doesn't look like anything but capital cities level up. He said some things like "And so when you're at your rank 1 city..." I thought "Oh, the starter city that I spawn in as rank one" and some other little things snagged me.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Those new vids of the presentations are excellent. Love hearing the Waaagh! from the other room during the city seige presentation.

Also, woot 100 pages.

Exarch on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fuck man, can Jeff really talk forever about WAR? I am convinced he can. This is a good one with even more questions with nice and spiffy details here and there...

http://trailer.onlinewelten.com/videos,id3484,warhammer_online_videointerview_jeff_hickman.html

EDIT: holy shit, 40min in Jeff spills Fortresses. Basically, before the city, there is one last huuuge, "5 times as big as a normal keep" fortress. And in it has super epic uber fighting and phat loot.

EDIT2: Also, you don't actually kill the enemy king, you defeat him and capture him to throw him into stocks or cages back at your city and throw rotten tomatoes at him for tome unlocks. And he also conveys a bonus to you as well because of that and for the enemies to get their king back, they have to fight all the way back and recapture him. Sounds cool, :D

EDIT3: Oh my god.... the Tome of Knowledge video... One of the unlocks is "Dying 10,000 times!"
    And then there is one below it....
    zomgdeath.jpg

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yowzah.

That's a lot of death.

Oats on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2008