As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    "input cash here in this slot to increase stats" is not a new feature for mmos. more stats doesn't really change the fact that the game is poop

Ya, K, thats your opinion Wren. And, I mean really, do you like anything (sorry, recognize this sounds kinda like a flame, but its not)? ANYWAYS! Quests got me to lvl 11 so far.

maraxus94 on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got my half-orc (oh really, thats what it is. stupid renamed dark elves, humans and half-orcs to try and make them seem original) warrior to 14 or something. quests were good for a bit but they've died down. maybe they'll pick up later. also the lost or forgotten or whatever port sucks

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    ...your character will also get more and more bloodied as their HP goes down.

Turbine did this with Asheron's Call 2. If you wanted to improve performance you could disable it though. AC2 was a game that looked great and would have done much better, if it hadn't been shoved out the door as early as it had been.

Seg on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone trying the Mabinogi open-beta?

http://www.fileplanet.com/184223/180000/fileinfo/Fantasy-Life-Mabinogi-Beta

I played for 5 minutes and thought the combat was pretty interesting.

Of course I uninstalled the game ASAP when I noticed the game used the nProtect's GameGuard thing. :x

God I revere GameGuard to F2P online games as StarForce is to retail games.

I didn't run into any problems with it but I hate this malware gunk especially when they don't tell you they've installed it onto your system. I think I'll be more cautious from now on when downloading any F2P game and check if it uses GameGuard. :(

:EDIT: Holy hell this crap is harder to get rid of then the usual crap (it's everywhere - a crap load of fud, it even installs a device driver).

Highly recommend you check the GameGuard game list before downloading any F2P games.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    Anyone trying the Mabinogi open-beta?

http://www.fileplanet.com/184223/180000/fileinfo/Fantasy-Life-Mabinogi-Beta

I played for 5 minutes and thought the combat was pretty interesting.

Of course I uninstalled the game ASAP when I noticed the game used the nProtect's GameGuard thing. :x

God I revere GameGuard to F2P online games as StarForce is to retail games.

I didn't run into any problems with it but I hate this malware gunk especially when they don't tell you they've installed it onto your system. I think I'll be more cautious from now on when downloading any F2P game and check if it uses GameGuard. :(

:EDIT: Holy hell this crap is harder to get rid of then the usual crap (it's everywhere - a crap load of fud, it even installs a device driver).

Highly recommend you check the GameGuard game list before downloading any F2P games.

GameGuard is shady at best but I'm tolderating it because Mabinogi actually seems to be a pretty damn neat game. :|

LockeCole on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Exteel is rather blatantly an online-only Armored Core-Lite. That is to say, it's a third-person shooter where you pilot your own custom-assembled 'mech performing mercenary operations for credits. Unlike Armored Core, Exteel is focused on FPS-styled game modes (DM, domination, etc.) and offers no solo missions. There is a fair amount of grind for credits and not a lot of part variety, or even much reason to switch up parts, but the action's decent and it is fun.

Though the way your 'mech is constructed and its movement capabilities are practically identical to Armored Core, being able to aim the reticule and turn with a mouse has made me want Armored Core to be ported to PC; that is to say even though Exteel's not as deep a game, it controls worlds more easily.

Please note that Exteel uses GameGuard, which was unfortunately reason enough for me to stop playing but might not affect you.

Note that Armored Core 4 is vastly different than the games before it, please consider all comparisons above to any AC game from pre-AC4.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the info.

Weird, I never had any problems with Gameguard. :?

Aldo on
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really don't see *too*much of a problem with GameGuard. I've never had any issues with it, but then again, I never really had any issues with Starforce when I played Trackmania Nations.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gameguard tends to wreck the stability of XP from time to time. Depends on the version used by the distributer.

Also Requeim, jesus christ could that screenshot get any darker??

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

Weird, I never had any problems with Gameguard. :?

The version used by Exteel shuts off communication with my back-up battery, and possibly other USB devices.

The version used by Phantasy Star Universe (by all rights a travesty of a game anyway) would crash half the programs in my systray, shut off all my USB ports, and--I shit you not--disable my network adapters. Awesome security, there's no way I could possibly hack the online game when it's killed my ability to be connected to the internet.

IceBurner on
    edited March 2008
    I haven't tried either game and I'm not going to. I like to think that Windows Vista would just prevent the game from even starting. :P

But this is kinda weird, if the game really kills the PC's ability to connect to the internet it would never have more than null players, now would it?

Aldo on
    edited March 2008
    Well that issue began with a certain revision of GameGuard and not everyone has the same problems. however I'm not the only one with that issue and there are a great many others, including causing MS Genuine Advantage to erroneously recognize copies of Windows Vista as not genuine.

GameGuard's parent company is completely unresponsive to contact/complaint. Essentially they shirk responsibility for any adverse effects from their product. On top of it all, the software itself is pretty darn ineffective from all the cheating I've noticed in games it "protects".

I strongly recommend against playing any game that makes use of GameGuard. I wouldn't have played Exteel in the first place had I known.

IceBurner on
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mabinogi works fine on Vista for me.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Urgh... I just installed Exteel to try it out the other day. Wish I'd known, but at least it hasn't caused any problems (yet). I try to avoid crap like GameGuard as much as possible. Sadly, that's hard to do.

Regarding Exteel, it's decent, and I had some fun in team DM, but the controls felt a bit "slow" to me. And it seems a little funky about gun ranges and hit detection. Plus, like a lot of free games, you can't buy upgrades permanently, they're all on a week/day/month "rental". Pet peeve of mine; if I grind or pay real money for an upgrade, I want it available permanently. But that would hamper their business model, I guess.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey, just a couple of things to note:
    Flysis is now AirRivals.
    Oz looked like it had a strong gay-scene from the front page onwards.

Snare on
    edited March 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    Hey, just a couple of things to note:
    Flysis is now AirRivals.
    Oz looked like it had a strong gay-scene from the front page onwards.
    Space Cowboy had another restart, or did they just rename Flysis?

Aldo on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just renamed it for legal reasons I think

Snare on
    edited March 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    Just renamed it for legal reasons I think
    All right.

I suppose they'll change the name of their website some time.

Aldo on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SAGA just released the free version of their MMORTSRPGTCG...say that five times fast. I think it has all the features of the bought version except for the marketplace. playsaga.com

maraxus94 on
  • BrinkBrink Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone else try Knight Online? The high end PvP looks promising.
    (also trying out Wurm but it's so weird and complex that I feel more like a tourist)

Brink on
    ;)
  • wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    eXteel is pretty awesome and free

wavecutter on
  • firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    May want to add Mabinogi on the list, its a hybird of harvest moon and dungeon crawling game. The PVE so far is very skill based, where a low level can kill any high level monster they want, only take longer.... and being high level doesn't mean low level monster cannot kill you.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
    edited March 2008
    Mabinogi sounds very promising now.

Aldo on
  • DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone have a mirror for the airrivals download? Basic download keeps stopping at exactly 3.2 meg downloaded, and torrent doesn't seem to work.

Darkstryke on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I downloaded and played Mabinogi for about an hour tonight.

I think this might be the first F2P MMO that I really enjoy.

edit: Quick SS of me camping out in town, for no good reason other than I like the way the game looks.

mabinogi20080326002cl3.jpg

citizen059 on
    edited April 2008
    My gaming mag always has a few free online games linked in it, this time they were mostly shooters with no "massive" in them, so I won't toss them on the list. Doesn't stop me from linking them here, though:

www.alientrap.org/nexuiz
    www.warsow.net
    http://red.planetarena.org

I've no idea how much fun these games actually are and I won't check them out. :P

--
    I also added PowerUp, an educational MMO from IBM. http://www.powerupthegame.org/

Aldo on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've heard very good things regarding Warsow, haven't actually got a chance to play it though.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited April 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    I've heard very good things regarding Warsow, haven't actually got a chance to play it though.
    There's a graphics update or something for it now. So I guess this is as good a time as any to try it out.

--

I'm playing Lunia again with my healer girl and the community is pretty abysmal. In PvP at least. Whenever I heal someone in PvP some opponent will call me a fucking noob or curse at me in languages they assume I do not understand (NEWSFLASH! Spanish is not that difficult to understand!) Mind you, they only complain when they're on the other team. :P It's kinda pathetic, but I guess it goes with the territory: mostly people who are too young and/or too cheap to pay for their games play free MMOs.

Still, the actual game is awesome, combat is really challenging (especially on higher levels) and there's a lot of short-term goals you can reach. Most quests are about grinding, but when combat is fun, that doesn't matter.

Aldo on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Been playing Dream of Mirror Online, the NA version that is. Its been fun so far and I think I might decide to make a thread for it soon. Got a really unique cel-shaded look to it which is awesome.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited April 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    Been playing Dream of Mirror Online, the NA version that is. Its been fun so far and I think I might decide to make a thread for it soon. Got a really unique cel-shaded look to it which is awesome.
    It is such a grind, though. And I couldn't appreciate the combat system.

Oh and we had a thread on DOMO, apparently K_A has a 4chan guild running or something.
    On second thought, I can understand why you'd want a new thread.

Aldo on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And there doesn't seem to be any interest in the game yet D:

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My gaming mag always has a few free online games linked in it, this time they were mostly shooters with no "massive" in them, so I won't toss them on the list. Doesn't stop me from linking them here, though:

www.alientrap.org/nexuiz
    www.warsow.net
    http://red.planetarena.org

I've no idea how much fun these games actually are and I won't check them out. :P

--
    I also added PowerUp, an educational MMO from IBM. http://www.powerupthegame.org/

Warsow is a e-sports oriented FPS. Unless you've played a whole lot of Quake you're in for a steep learning curve. In the end, I'd say it's worth it. Very rewarding gameplay experience, especially if you're willing to get better. And it's still in development, so there are regular updates, and the dev team is somewhat willing to take fan input.

Alien Arena is a Q3 clone, but not a very good one. It's hard to look at, and very spammy. Movement is simplified.

Nexuiz uses the Quake 1 engine. I don't have that much experience with it, but I know it's very strange. The movement is really floaty and the weapons feel really unbalanced - there are at least 3 different rocket/grenade guns. The health and armour systems are really weird, especially the health, which just goes up and up, probably to compensate for the absurd damage most of the weapons do. I don't know how much of a community it has. It's also really dark, with hard to see models, making it a lot more difficult to play than it should be.

If you're looking for a game that'll be interesting for more than 10 minutes, Warsow is the safe bet.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Playing perfect world right now. I must say this game is a ton of fun at the begining lvls. The graphics are superb as far as a free MMO goes. There are plenty of quests to do, and even though the translation is a bit crude, its easy to make out what you need to do.

Crafting system is nice, you can learn every one and potentially never need to get anything from anyone.

My one big complaint is the instances. Where as you can go out in the world and conquer almost everything around or near your lvl, the instances are just wicked tough. Went with a lvl 33 to 2 of them and we still had a problem. They seemed to be upped way to much.

Another problem is player auctions. You turn into a weird looking cat anywhere you want in a city and can sell items. In the main city, the main road is FULL of them everywhere and its hard to make out what is what. Granted you really never need to buy anything but its really annoying when you are trying to find something to help.

Other than that this is a pretty cool mmo with few bugs(that i have seen) and it doesnt spam buy our items like most free mmos do. Having a blast and highly recomend it to people who want to try it out.

Laonar on
    edited April 2008
    Some lev60+ folks pulled me through Cave of Fire, they run these instances mostly for the EXP, I guess. They need a lowbie for the key, so that's where I came in.

I'd still be playing, but I got kinda burned out on it and I am in two betas that require at least /some/ of my gaming time. :P

*edit: thanks for the info Page-.

Aldo on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aldo you arse. Stop showing off with your beta spots. :(

"Oh lah dee dah, look at me. So many betas to beta test i have no time left, poor me!"

Lly on
    edited April 2008
    Lly wrote: »

"Oh lah dee dah, look at me. So many betas to beta test i have no time left, poor me!"
    Sorry. :(

I still update this thread, though. So I have not forgotten the [strike]unwashed masses[/strike] rest of this forum.

Aldo on
  • LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lly wrote: »

Sorry. :(

I still update this thread, though. So I have not forgotten the [strike]unwashed masses[/strike] rest of this forum.

I will take any free betas off your hand.. like mythos, i want to try this so hard... ahh well wait for open beta

Laonar on
    edited April 2008
    Laonar wrote: »
    I will take any free betas off your hand.. like mythos, i want to try this so hard... ahh well wait for open beta
    Surprisingly: I'm not in the beta of Mythos. :P

Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Perfect World was fun, but when it comes to grinds, I prefer games with little or no downtime. The downtime in WoW is minimal compared to PW.

I have been playing the NA version of Cabal online. It certainly fits the low downtime concept I prefer.

Seg on
    edited April 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    Perfect World was fun, but when it comes to grinds, I prefer games with little or no downtime. The downtime in WoW is minimal compared to PW.

I have been playing the NA version of Cabal online. It certainly fits the low downtime concept I prefer.
    Yeah, because you can just keep on downing potions. :?

Aldo on
This discussion has been closed.