As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh my stars and garters! Moments of the Week 04/02/08

• Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Squashua wrote: »
    Also, the interpretation used for representing Resurrection Man is out of character, IMHO.

The writer turned him into a complete and total douche.

Par for course for Supergirl.
    To be absolutely fair, I think most people would treat her that way, or even worse.

What? I'm talking about the mis-interpretation of Mitch Shelley here. He's not a wandering drunkard. Dude was the most kick-ass feature of the DC 1,000,000 event.

His appearance in this book is a giant bloody turd on his resume.

Squashua on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The best you can expect is a Zatanna series, or Supergirl getting magic powers in the same way the last one got angelic powers.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, the interpretation used for representing Resurrection Man is out of character, IMHO.

To be absolutely fair, I think most people would treat her that way, or even worse.

What? I'm talking about the mis-interpretation of Mitch Shelley here. He's not a wandering drunkard. Dude was the most kick-ass feature of the DC 1,000,000 event.

I was talking about being a douche to Supergirl

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Well, that's acceptable. I'm complainging that he was turned into a complete douche for all situations regardless of Supergirl involvement.

Squashua on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This gives me hope that the BLUE BEETLE will not be cancelled.

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=194&itemid=13014

4rvr68.jpg
    Batman: The Brave And The Bold Comes To Cartoon Network
    posted by Jay Cocrock in Animation at 01:54 PM on 2008.04.03
    » send to friend » digg » del.icio.us
    Batman isn’t going at it alone this time! From Warner Bros. Animation comes the latest interpretation of the classic Batman franchise. Our caped crusader is teamed up with heroes from across the DC Universe, delivering nonstop action and adventure with a touch of comic relief. Blue Beetle, Green Arrow, Aquaman and countless others will get a chance to uphold justice alongside Batman. Though still based in Gotham, Batman will frequently find himself outside city limits, facing situations that are both unfamiliar and exhilarating. With formidable foes around every corner, Batman will still rely on his stealth, resourcefulness and limitless supply of cool gadgets to bring justice home.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a 30-minute animated action/adventure created by Warner Bros. Animation and executive produced by Sam Register.

Production & Animation: Warner Bros. Animation

Executive Producer: Sam Register

Producers: James Tucker, Linda M. Steiner

Line Producer: Amy McKenna

Story Editor: Michael Jelenic

Animation Directors: Ben Jones, Brandon Vietti ,Michael Chang

Launch date: Batman: The Brave and the Bold is slated to premiere on Cartoon Network in 2008
    I wish I could talk about it, because we have [secret character], [secret character], and [secret character] appearing. How awesome is that? Also Blue Beetle (psst - it’s [secret character] in the suit) and the new [secret character]. We also have Green Arrow and [secret character], rocking a decidedly more Silver Age appearance than they have in the comics currently. We even have some really obscure characters popping up, like [secret character], [secret character] and fan favorite [secret character]. Also James has promised that we’ll finally see the return of [secret character] to the world of animation, which makes me happy, since I thought he should have been in JLU. Not to mention tons of [secret characters], including one who’s never been animated before. And of course, my favorite, [secret character].

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh man, The Boys #17.
    hamster.jpg

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hahaha, how awesome is that.

I like how you hear them talking about it earlier in the issue, but have no idea who they are talking about.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Hahaha, how awesome is that.

I like how you hear them talking about it earlier in the issue, but have no idea who they are talking about.

Didn't they show him like that a couple issues back?

Squashua on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like how Batman and Green Arrow are in this whole retro style, and then there's the modern Blue Beetle.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

See I have limited knowledge of DC so I didn't even know who the guy was so his "mischaracterization" didn't have any effect on me.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

See I have limited knowledge of DC so I didn't even know who the guy was so his "mischaracterization" didn't have any effect on me.

That's a shame, especially since this is your first exposure to him.

It's for the benefit of unexposed people such as yourself that I cry foul.

Resurrection Man is not as shitty a toss-away b-level character as this issue of Supergirl makes him out to be.

Squashua on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Walking Dead continues to prove to kick so much ass I love it, I only wish I hadn’t accidently clicked on the major spoiler before I got to reading the issue. Thought someone was talking about another comic.

The whole Skrull thing....I’m still having a problem with this suppose to be a major event, yes it’s not too bad but the fact they’re making a big deal about Skrulls now when they’ve been on earth repeatedly before is a bit too hard to swallow. They certainly didn’t panic then but now it’s like they caught their wife in bed with another man. So yeah, definitely forced.

Young X-Men....well this has to be a disappointment, I’m talking Flash relaunch disappointment.

Oh and for those of you who ever loved G.I.Joe the big event that is going on in the title right now should not be missed, it’s called World War III and it’s actually living up to the name and big things are happening. If you ever wanted to see how evil and capable Cobra Commander really is this is it.
    The United States? Under Cobra rule. Britain? Under Cobra rule. Other parts of the world? Under Cobra rule. Nuclear missiles in Cobras hands with Cobra Commander ready to put two nukes in two parts of the world, why? Because if he can’t have the world no one can should he be beaten, yeah he's going for broke this time. Oh and he killed his son. Billy, remember him? Killed him. Strung his corpse up on a flag pole and ordered no one to remove it. Once this event is over G.I.Joe is being published under another company so how it ends might be with a bigger bang than we all know. Might be the last time we see some as how they are. Who can say for sure. The event is certainly a damn good one and one of the best in recent memory comic book wise so yeah, give it a shot.

Cade on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think with the Skrull thing - if they had found Skrull-Elektra at the beginning of their time together, nobody would've cared. It's not like they were at all fazed by the almost breakout of a new Kree/Skrull war in Young Avengers. These guys are the Avengers, they've got all the A-List superheroes to call on, they know they can handle it.

But then skip forward past Civil War. Cap's dead, you're outlaws and Reed and Tony have become the biggest assholes in the world seemingly overnight. Everything has been flipped upside down, you don't trust your old friends anymore and suddenly you have a reason to think that maybe your old friends are actually Skrulls? Yeah you flip your shit. Maybe even hope they *are* Skrulls so that your world can go back to being sane again once you out them.

Looking back at it, the only really "Forced" part to me is Tony's reaction. He was the one manipulating everyone in Civil War, what's he got to worry about? He's in charge, he's got everything moving the way he wants it to (except in Cap), prior to his meeting with the Illuminati, I just don't see why he should panic. Unless he's ready to accept that if the Illuminati's messing with the Hulk came back to bite him on the ass, there's no reason the Skrulls shouldn't have been planning the same thing.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    Young X-Men....well this has to be a disappointment, I’m talking Flash relaunch disappointment.

I flipped through a copy in the store and just couldn't bring myself to buy it. New X-Men was so good. Even if the numbers weren't there, who thought this was going to be a better replacement?

DMAC on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The whole Skrull thing....I’m still having a problem with this suppose to be a major event, yes it’s not too bad but the fact they’re making a big deal about Skrulls now when they’ve been on earth repeatedly before is a bit too hard to swallow. They certainly didn’t panic then but now it’s like they caught their wife in bed with another man. So yeah, definitely forced.
    See, that's what I like about it. The Skrulls are a powerful race of ruthless warriors with the ability to look like any member of any species they choose. And far too often they're treated like an intergalactic joke. They should be a threat. But they haven't since the whole Kree Skrull war, and little enough before that.
    To be fair, I did like some of it.
    Dust being ultra baddass in Afghanistan, for one.

Also Cyclops' run-in with Rockslide in the cafe.

Cyclops: What if I had been an enemy?
    Rockslide: What if? I'm, like, indestructible Bro.

*Cylops blasts Rockslide through window*

Cyclops: Now look what you made me do?

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    But then skip forward past Civil War. Cap's dead, you're outlaws and Reed and Tony have become the biggest assholes in the world seemingly overnight. Everything has been flipped upside down, you don't trust your old friends anymore and suddenly you have a reason to think that maybe your old friends are actually Skrulls? Yeah you flip your shit. Maybe even hope they *are* Skrulls so that your world can go back to being sane again once you out them.

Not necessarily.

Keep in mind that those who initially "flipped" their "shit" and initiated the doubt are currently suspect.

It's much more manipulative to initiate and "control" the inquisition if you're of the opposite team.

Squashua on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well yeah, there is that

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think they still would have cared about Skrullektra, if only for the fact that she was completley undetectable. And the questions about why the Skrulls would want to take over the Hand would still be there as well. But the extenuating circumstances of the current Marvel U have certainly upped the ante. Plus I wouldn't say Tony totally panicked, he was worried, so he brought to the attention of the Illuminati. I mean this was kind of thier entire reason for existing, to deal with this sort of threat.

And then when he realized the Illuminati had been infiltrated and they had no idea when it happaned or for how long.. then it was clearly way past time to panic. I think the building of the Skrulls to a legitamte threat has been really well done.

Although if you haven't been reading the Avengers books or the Illuminati series I could understand why you'd still be viewing them against past expectations.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Boys was Ok this week. It's an OK book. I like it though.
    YOU'VE GOT RED ON YOU!!!!!
    I like how it was left unsaid though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    See, that's what I like about it. The Skrulls are a powerful race of ruthless warriors with the ability to look like any member of any species they choose. And far too often they're treated like an intergalactic joke. They should be a threat. But they haven't since the whole Kree Skrull war, and little enough before that.
    To be fair, I did like some of it.
    Dust being ultra baddass in Afghanistan, for one.

Also Cyclops' run-in with Rockslide in the cafe.

Cyclops: What if I had been an enemy?
    Rockslide: What if? I'm, like, indestructible Bro.

*Cylops blasts Rockslide through window*

Cyclops: Now look what you made me do?

Conerning Young X-Men
    That wasn't Dust. That's a Skrull or a clone or a new character in the bharka (sp?). Dust isn't some blood thirsty pyschopath that rends flesh from bone on an hourly basis and plans her days of killing.

And that wasn't Cyclops. Cyclops doesn't break criminals out of jail after they assault and nearly poison a cop to death. He doesn't blast a friend and one of his students through a crowded cafe full of people and cause several thousand dollars worth of damage and not give a fuck about it. He also doesn't create a team of young teenagers to be his killing squad after he's already created a team of killers with a bunch of other X-Men. He also doesn't create a team to hunt down and kill his old friends, the New Mutants.

I'm sorry if you liked it, but that shit is fucking stupid if you ask me and a disgrace to just about every character in the book. There's so much wrong with this book, I can barely form coherent sentences when I try to talk about it.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well I mean clearly something weird is going on in Young X-Men.

Although Dust did something pretty simmilar to that during Messiah Complex, so that part didnt really bother me.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    See, Dust actually showed emotion there and was doing it reluctantly under extreme circumstances and pressuring from Emma. She did it one other time after the Purifiers killed dzoens of her friends earlier in the series. However, she regretted doing this. She didn't have a blood lust that puts Wolverine to shame and didn't have plans to go to the next town to kill some more people or brag about tearing the flesh from someone's face before attacking another person.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well I dont remember the scene that well, but I think I took it as her talking a lot of shit to scare them/others off and send a message.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Well I dont remember the scene that well, but I think I took it as her talking a lot of shit to scare them/others off and send a message.

Pretty much. She killed someone in Messiah CompleX, and then tackled Emma for being too pleased about it, saying she took no pleasure it murder. She also killed a bunch of guys in the future NIMROD saw, but I guess that doesn't count. Again she only killed when they had committed murder.

In this case
    three armed men show up clearly looking to cause mayhem, and Dust acts her most spooky and threatens them. When that doesn't work she injures one of the men. Yes, stripping a man's flesh from his hand is pretty horrific, but she could have killed all three of them. She didn't. She scared them off. She also made it clear that even that wouldn't keep them at bay - she said others would be there within three days - but she still she let them live. She just gave the village a chance to defend themselves. So I don't see that as out of character.
    And yes, the cafe bit was silly and out of character, but I really don't care. It was the only part of the book that made me laugh.

Moments of the week: Billy and Teddy cuteness in Young Avengers Presents. They are such a cute couple! When are we going to see them kiss?

Secret Invasion. All of it. And regarding the crashed ship reveal:
    What the hell is Mockingbird doing there? Yeah, I know, what are any of them doing there but Isn't she dead for years? Even in 616 time?
    Also Buffy. All of it, but especially
    The Japanese goth vampires finding a way to turn slayers into normal girls. That and Renee fighting total mental breakdown during the tea party with Dracula and Xander. In fact, every Dracula panel was pure gold.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Japanese goth vampires finding a way to turn slayers into normal girls. That and Renee fighting total mental breakdown during the tea party with Dracula and Xander. In fact, every Dracula panel was pure gold.

Oh dear god yes.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    bobgorila wrote: »

Oh dear god yes.
    Wait is that what that thing did? It was really unclear to me. I just saw FLASH RED LIGHT, then they caught her off guard (I thought)

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Uh, there is dialogue explaining exactly what was going on.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Uh, there is dialogue explaining exactly what was going on.

Where? did I miss a page? Maybe I was just to busy loving the Dracula/Xander stuff (serious, he had "guy" time with Dracula)

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well Anya had just died and he needed a guy pal.

He doesn't have many guy friends. His choices were pretty much Dracula or Andrew.

I would have chosen Dracula too.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well Anya had just died and he needed a guy pal.

He doesn't have many guy friends. His choices were pretty much Dracula or Andrew.

I would have chosen Dracula too.

Oh I know, it was hilarious though. The fact that they exchanged letters and kept in touch.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Tell your moor to watch her tone, manservant.
    Watch your tone, moor.
    I mean - hey! She's not a moor! Also, she has a lovely tone!

The expression on Renee's face is just priceless.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I honestly think in the long run that Xander suffered more from Oz leaving than Willow.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Good point.

Willow found love and healed, but Xander never really found another male buddy.

I mean, his best friends are pretty awesome, but there's no one to take him out, get him drunk and tell him there's plenty of fish in the sea.

Well, maybe Faith.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Faith immediatley disqualified due to the fact that they had sex in the best Buffy episode ever.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh shit. The Zeppo. So awesome.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The fact that Shadowpact was recently cancelled due to poor sales suggest thats unlikely.

It was cancelled? Ugh, I hadn't heard that.

Maybe just a mini-series about the "books of magic" then?

Well Giffen's Reign In Hell mini is starting in June, it's meant to feature a lot of magic users.

Anyway, Trials of Shazam was really good, now that it's finally ended. Action Comics was great, I'm now pretty excited about the Legion of 3 Worlds mini despite not having a clue about the Pre-ZH and Post-ZH Legion's. And Detective Comics was great as well, though I don't really like Nguyen's art.

Buffy was brilliant, just in time for the Buffy marathon I'll have over the next week too (I just ordered the first three seasons). And Angel... As much as I like the back stories, couldn't they've done those AFTER the current storyline finished?

As for Supergirl, I don't think the problems with the book are really Puckett's fault, he's just doing the best he can to fix Joe Kelly (and Jeph Loeb for that matter)'s mess. At least she isn't running around nightclubs, grinding against every bloody guy like a complete slut anymore. Ideally though, DC would just give Supergirl to Gail Simone and then give Puckett a new Batgirl series.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm looking forward to a Trials of Shazam trade, because I didn't find out about this until it was almost over.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    seriously though what happened in supergirl

Apparently she finds Resurrection Man and asks if she can kill him until he gains the power to cure cancer, but she soon realizes that she cannot kill a man, even if he's a resurrecting man.
    So she's a complete pussy without the convinction to save countless lives by shooting a guy in the face a couple of times even though he'll be fine?

Good for you, Supergirl, I'm sure theres a lil boy half past the point of keeling over in a hospital somewhere puking his guts out that will be very happy to hear that.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So in SI 1, who is that-
    -that plugs Reed in the face?

Gabriel_Pitt on