As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spectacular, Secular Spider-Thread

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Doesn't matter. One is going to to go fall off a bridge and the other is going to become a drug addict. Or so I hear....

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Doesn't matter. One is going to to go fall off a bridge and the other is going to become a drug addict. Or so I hear....

You mean one is going to leave for boarding school and the other is going become addicted to trans fats. This is a kids' show, after all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have the distinct impression that this Gwen will actually get to be Pete's main love interest, rather than being stuffed into a fridge. Which would be a nice change of pace.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Remember how in the 90s Spider-man cartoon, where they had Green Goblin throw Mary Jane off of a bridge where she fell into a portal that trapped her in some kind of dimensional limbo? I just hope they don't do something as stupid as that in this series.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tank wrote: »
    Remember how in the 90s Spider-man cartoon, where they had Green Goblin throw Mary Jane off of a bridge where she fell into a portal that trapped her in some kind of dimensional limbo? I just hope they don't do something as stupid as that in this series.

The really shitty thing was they never, ever resolved that plot. MJ was still lost in the multiverse at the end of the series.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I can't think of any other cartoon more hampered by censorship. A non-lethal Punisher, a vampire who sucks blood through his hands, the Insidious Six, a Carnage who never harms anybody, and the aforementioned falling into a black hole. Couple that with poor animation, one-dimensional characterizations, and subpar voice acting, and I can't understand anyone having fond memories for that show.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Finally watched the Shocker episode, nice job on making him a legitimate villain. I really like that Peter is still life's punching bag, and the fact that he learned a lesson from a villain is hilarious.

I love the constant subplots, it makes it so much better than 30 minute non-connected adventures each week.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    cmorrscmorrs Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really love this show... surpasses even the 90s animated series (which was pretty good, in my opinion). The theme's not bad (not good either, just meh). My favorite part of the show is the witty banter, the mix between the source material (anyone who thinks "The Big Man" is the Kingpin hasn't been reading the early issues) and the Ultimate versions, and the storyline is pretty cool too.

It's not totally on par with continuity, but it's pretty damn close for an animated series.

cmorrs on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So this is actually good?

Sweet.

Was that Neil Patrick Harris one worth watching at all?

I'm glad there's a resurgence in good cartoons (TF: Animated, Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine + X-Men) finally arriving.

I hope this lasts long enough for them to do it real justice.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember liking the 90s cartoon back when I was a child. Mainly because it was my first exposure to Spider-man and witty superheroes.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It wasn't my first exposure to Spiderman... by the time I was 3 years old I was dressing up for him for Halloween, but it definitely was a big part of my diet being a young webhead/spider-fan. That's why Spectacular Spiderman is so good... it's still got that great wit... though it doesn't feel like it has as much of a life-lesson focus like the 90s one did (there's some of the whole "responsibility" bit there, but the Spec. Spiderman Peter seems much more flawed than the 90s Spiderman TAS Peter).

cmorrs on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really enjoyed the MTV Spider-Man series because it made Spidey's moves really awesome and he wa sjust amazingly fast. This show does a great job in that too.

While I loathed Spider-Man Unlimited for lots of reasons, I am still fond of his Reed Richard's developed Nanobot-Suit. He had stealth mode, sonic emitters against the symbiotes,different vision modes, ect...
    Except for his little web cape (which sometimes looked good but most of the time retarded) the Red/Black color s were fitting as well. Of course then there were the Animal/Furry versions of all his enemies and it just went downhill...

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I always looked at Spider-Man Unlimited as "Hey, Batman Beyond is really popular, let's do something like that."

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    DVG wrote: »
    I always looked at Spider-Man Unlimited as "Hey, Batman Beyond is really popular, let's do something like that."

And then it failed miserably... no wonder they put out less than a season.

The MTV Spiderman series just wasn't that good in my opinion... I didn't like the choice of voice-acting and the animation was pretty choppy... All the characters looked like they were marionettes on strings.

cmorrs on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    1206643874605.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, the Sandman transformation sequence was horrific and the fights were the best non-comic representation of a villain who can change shape I've ever seen. There wasn't any of the pathos of Batman's Clayface, but it was entertaining in a superficial way and easily the best programming of this sort that I've seen of late.

I only worry that subsequent villains won't be as visually impressive.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This show kicks ass. Seriously, EVERY episode has been great so far.

May it last for many seasons.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Damn, my dvr cut off right after the sandman fight.
    So what happened with the football tryouts?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    Pete flubbed them on purpose to let Harry get the glory and Gwen brought him an ice cream cone.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Damn, my dvr cut off right after the sandman fight.
    So what happened with the football tryouts?

Predictably, Peter throws the final tryout session so Harry can be first string, stating that he wouldn't wear a mask if he was all that interested in glory. Harry leaves with his new friends, and Peter leaves the field with Gwen.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks, I figured that's how it would down.
    It was cute seeing Gwen hinting about the dance and Peter being oblivious to it.
    And man, these fights are brutal. I love how they actually have impact.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, these fights are very well put together. They really understand how to make Spidey work physically.

FCD on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Thanks, I figured that's how it would down.
    It was cute seeing Gwen hinting about the dance and Peter being oblivious to it.
    And man, these fights are brutal. I love how they actually have impact.

This is why I liked the Lizard fight. They didn't just dance around the fact that Pete got his fingers smashed by the Lizard.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dammit, I live in Canada where this is not yet playing, yet I managed to watch the first 4 episodes online. I got hooked, and now for the life of me can't find the new ep. This is terrible.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Okay, so I saw it, and the sandman fight scenes were oh so awesome.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    W....Why is Aunt May so hot?

Seriously. They made her like a GMILF or something in this. It kind of bothers me.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And now begins the KidsWB way of getting an awesome show canceled. Show reruns mid-season, next they'll change the time it's on and not tell anyone, then they'll cancel it saying 'lolz look no one watches it!"

I hate WB

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have to say I am seriously enjoying these Kids WB shows much more than I've enjoyed any cartoon network main channel original in 7 or 8 years.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I have to say I am seriously enjoying these Kids WB shows much more than I've enjoyed any cartoon network main channel original in 7 or 8 years.

JLU? Seriously, that was an incredible show.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I was talking mostly about the Cartoon Cartoons.

They've just gotten worse and worse since the first wave ended in 2001, and now they're almost all non-shows.

Stuff that was eventually exiled to Toonami when the network changed even more a couple years ago (JLU, Megas) was still kind of cool.

But yeah, this Quest show on KidsWB fucking rules.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

They've just gotten worse and worse since the first wave ended in 2001, and now they're almost all non-shows.

Stuff that was eventually exiled to Toonami when the network changed even more a couple years ago (JLU, Megas) was still kind of cool.

Spectacular Spider-Man, Transformers Animated, and reruns of BTAS are the only animated programs I bother to watch these days.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Spectacular Spider-Man, Transformers Animated, and reruns of BTAS are the only animated programs I bother to watch these days.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    i swear, every time i see this thread i think its title is "the spectacular, secular spider-man"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Any word when more new episodes are coming?

cmorrs on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    cmorrs wrote: »

A preview during this Saturday's rerun said next week's episode would be new, and that the Rhino would be making his debut.

FCD on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    W....Why is Aunt May so hot?

Seriously. They made her like a GMILF or something in this. It kind of bothers me.

I'm actually kinda glad for that. I mean, she's supposed to be his Aunt, not Grand Aunt. She should really only be, at most, in her late fifties/early sixties, so this seemingly younger May jives with that more.

FCD on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    cmorrs wrote: »

A preview during this Saturday's rerun said next week's episode would be new, and that the Rhino would be making his debut.

Thank you kindly.

cmorrs on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    venom2cw8.jpggreengoblingg2.pngObviously the one on the right

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Venom looks adorable!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wait the one on the right is the show's version of Green Goblin?

ehhhh not digging it too much, hopefully it'll look better animated

Sars_Boy on