As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Great films with the letters G and K in them.

rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
What are some of the great gaming films out there? I'm not really talking about games turned into movies but things along the lines of "King of Kong" or "Chasing Ghosts" and such. And actually, I guess "great" would be making an extremely short list but yeah, what's out there?

Or maybe just movies to geek out to? I'm not someone who knows anything about Star Trek but Trekkies is still an excellent watch.

The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Monsters and Mazes is my fave.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Wizard

I kid, I kid.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

Huh, interesting! Hopefully I'll be able to put it on the Netflix Queue. Have you heard of Darkon? It's about people who role-play with actual armor and swords and such. I remember as an undergrad seeing it a couple times out in a field near campus and wow, yeah, it was like the middle of the summer.\

Holy crap, Tom Hanks is in that movie? I'd never even heard of it until just now! :)

rvcontre78 on
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    The Wizard

I kid, I kid.

Haha, I remember when that came out how bad I wanted to see it just for the clips of SMB3. I was hoping it would just be an hour of someone playing that game!

rvcontre78 on
    The one "True Life" on MTV that I enjoyed was True Life: I'm a competitive gamer.

It made me weep for those poor souls. And then myself because they make so much money.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    rvcontre78 wrote: »

Huh, interesting! Hopefully I'll be able to put it on the Netflix Queue. Have you heard of Darkon? It's about people who role-play with actual armor and swords and such. I remember as an undergrad seeing it a couple times out in a field near campus and wow, yeah, it was like the middle of the summer.\

Holy crap, Tom Hanks is in that movie? I'd never even heard of it until just now! :)

I never saw Darkon. Monsters and Mazes is really preachy anti-D&D from a very 80s perspective. I found it hilarious.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I never saw Darkon. Monsters and Mazes is really preachy anti-D&D from a very 80s perspective. I found it hilarious.

Oh! Ha, I thought it would be something else. Wasn't there a mockumentary on-line a bit ago about D&Ders? I've never had the chance (or at least one I was willing to take) to try it out but I'm interested in the phenomenon as a way to see very interesting people.

rvcontre78 on
    I am probably going to get bashed for this, but I love the Resident Evil trilogy.

Yes, it isn't on par with the story of the games, but I enjoyed them thoroughly and hope they make more.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am probably going to get bashed for this, but I love the Resident Evil trilogy.

Yes, it isn't on par with the story of the games, but I enjoyed them thoroughly and hope they make more.

You are doing it wrong. Also 2 & 3 were utter crap.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Final Fantasy: Advent Children is far and away the best video game movie to date.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Read the OP you bastards!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    if chess is a game, searching for bobby fisher.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Advent Children still applies, its that great.

A recent geeky movie I enjoyed was 'The Last Starfighter'.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Advent Children still applies, its that great.

A recent geeky movie I enjoyed was 'The Last Starfighter'.

You. are. still. doing. it. wrong.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    AC sucked.

Duki on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Final Fantasy: Advent Children is far and away the most fanwankery video game movie to date.

Fixed. And what Spectre said.

As for my own suggestion: Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade hasn't actually been screened outside of film festivals, but it's gotten great reviews overall.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The one "True Life" on MTV that I enjoyed was True Life: I'm a competitive gamer.

It made me weep for those poor souls. And then myself because they make so much money.

I remember" True Life: I'm a gamer" with that jackass who only played Golden Tee.

God I wanted to punch him in the face.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Super Mario Brothers.

It was awesome.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Oh! Ha, I thought it would be something else. Wasn't there a mockumentary on-line a bit ago about D&Ders? I've never had the chance (or at least one I was willing to take) to try it out but I'm interested in the phenomenon as a way to see very interesting people.

NO.

Going to WalMart at odd hours is what you do if you want to "see very interesting people."

Playing D&D is what you do if you want to have your self-esteem molested

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »

NO.

Going to WalMart at odd hours is what you do if you want to "see very interesting people."

D&D is awesome if you play it with awesome people. Shut your cakehole.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rename the thread "Great films about gaming" and it will be much less off-topic :)

Zenitram on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    DjinnDjinn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Double. Fucking. Dragon.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Double. Fucking. Dragon.

Alright, I think that I am just going to quit looking at this thread now. I'll leave you with one thing: Read the damned OP.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    WarGames was pretty good.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Nocturne wrote: »

NO.

You're treading a fine line there video game forum poster.

rvcontre78 on