As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me that my Webcomic sucks.

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Artist's Corner
I made a web comic today, 5 comics in so far.

It's more just some experimental thoughts about how people read webcomics than it is a series of jokes or a story.

one
two
three
four
five

There is a specific reason I haven't just posted them here, some of the impact/message would not get across.

The idea behind them is -
Each comic is a joke addressing a specific audience, whether real or not. The first comic is for pople who have not been on the site before, and would not know that the images load up instantly. The second one is at people who read the first comic. The 3rd one is aimed at theoretical people who really like the comic in the future, but bitch about it being more commercial these days, then go back through the archives. The fourth one is aimed at me, I wanted to keep a record of which font I was using, and I couldn't find a post it note, so I used a webcomic. The fifth one is a secret.

I intend to make comments under a range of pseudonyms alluding to the story and/or audience behind each comic, but am still wrangling with the HTML to have it set up how I want. The idea there is that only half of the story is in the comic, and half is in the fictional characters I will have making comments.

So feedback?

LewieP on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    your webcomic sucks

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    *slow clap*

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I didn't actually read it but I went back and read it after saying that, and coincidentally it really does suck balls.

Tube on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    It's terrible and I urge everyone reading this to not click on your wretched links.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The first comic is the closest you have to a joke, but it's been done a million times before and I don't think anyone is going to lose their arse laughing about it. The second is just confirmation that you're sort of a smartarse and again isn't very funny. The third is aimed at theoretical people who may not ever exist and probably won't ever exist because your webcomic has no jokes or content or art. The fourth is beyond pointless and the fifth is more up-your-arse bollocks saying to the audience "ha ha, I am LewieP and I get the joke and you don't".

It's not "experimental", that pretension is reserved at least for people that have put in the effort. It's just crap. It's not even interesting crap.

Don't get me wrong though, your mum still rules.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I guess that this thread has been resolved then. Feel free to lock it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    What, exactly, are you looking for here? You are doing these in what's probably MS Paint and while that's not always bad, you don't seem to have any real skill as an artist.

So are you looking for writing critique? I think you can see where I'm going with this.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    So are you looking for writing critique? I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Honestly, I didn't expect people to say they think it's the best thing ever (hense the only slightly tongue in cheek title of this thread). I was just bored and thought I would try something new.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This thread is now to reminisce about how great my webcomic was.

Tube on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh look, a fine art major.

supabeast on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    The only reason I don't want to lock this is because I don't want to spoil the potential humor of your mom coming in here and telling you it sucks.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This thread is now to reminisce about how great my webcomic was.

post some more pictures of the prophet muhammed, tube

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The only reason I don't want to lock this is because I don't want to spoil the potential humor of your mom coming in here and telling you it sucks.

If she does that I'll just let her go hungry.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I hate you for luring me into look at this....I thought it might be 'haha sucks'......but it just plain sucks.

Mustang on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    bombardier wrote: »

That is fantastic

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Even google seems to hate my webcomic
    Dear Blogger user,

This is a message from the Blogger team.

Your blog, at theworstwebcomicintheworld.blogspot.com/, has been identified as a potential spam blog. For an explanation of what spam blogs are, please see Blogger Help: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=42577

You will not be able to publish posts to your blog until we review your site and confirm that it is not a spam blog. To request a review, please fill out the form found here: [snip]

We will take a look at your blog and unlock it within four business days. Please note that if we do not hear from you within 20 days, we will remove your blog. If this blog does not belong to you, then you do not have to do anything. Any other blogs you may have will not be affected.

Since you are an actual person reading this, your blog is probably not spam. We find spam by using an automated classifier. Automatic spam detection is inherently fuzzy, and occasionally a blog is flagged incorrectly. We sincerely apologize for this erroneous result. By using this kind of system, however, we can dedicate more storage, bandwidth, and engineering resources to users like you instead of to spammers.

Thank you for your understanding and for your help in our spam-fighting efforts.

Sincerely,

The Blogger Team

:|

LewieP on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fan tastic. I didn't even look at your comic (because it don't follow the rules). But also because I can't, because it's been locked. You know, you should have just put images up on here in the first place, like everyone is told to. Maybe then everyone wouldn't hate you as much. Hate, hate, hate. And I can't even critique if I wanted to! So I can just pile on more abuse. Because that is what this thread is now.

Okay, no, wait, I do actually have a crit.

"...and would not know that the images load up instantly."

aren't all images supposed load instantly? And even if you're on a slow connection, isn't it implicit knowledge that static web images are meant to be instantaneous? So unless your comic is aimed at either very old or very young people, the basic premise of the joke is gone. It's not a good idea.

"The fifth one is a secret."

Brilliant*.

*Irony.

multimoog on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MS Paint Adventures tickled my fancy, as I had not yet known of it, so I deem this thread a WIN due to the cause-and-effect of you posting it and bombardier responding accordingly.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm trying to think up something witty to smack you with, but after having my brain sodomized five times like a prag I doubt I'll be able to.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think we can all appreciate people trying some new ideas out or maybe even a new type of comic (ie not just panels) but I think you need to be more aware of your medium. The jokes you're trying to use have all been done before and when I've seen them without the pretension. One thing that people don't take kindly to is the feeling that the artist is trying to make the reader feel stupid. It especially doesn't work (and is insulting) when the artist isn't doing anything particularly difficult anyway.

Your voice is way too condescending. The thing is from the posts I've seen you put on here you're not like that at all. Just put your normal voice through in your future works and it'll be more tolerable. Just to use a familiar example Tycho as a character has a pretty good vocabulary and the hifalutin type jokes work because he always gets his comeuppance or Gabe discounts his opinions. That way the artist can still give the joke that's too smart for the room but not come off as an ass.

rvcontre78 on
    The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard
    wow.
    I really don't know what to say.
    where you trying to make our eyes bleed?
    mine came pretty close. If you're going to honestly try webcomics, don't start there.

nemesis92 on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "Durr, *enter hardly witty comment about bleeding eyes or general suckiness and how bad idea is blah blah blah* done."

Why is this thread still open? I think we need to define what art is in the rules thread. If something took you less than 10 seconds to think of and execute, and it doesn't even look interesting or make anyone happy, then it is not art...at least art that anyone wants to look at.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think we should be an environment that doesn't encourage people to share their work though. I mean he came in with something he did looking for critique and he got it. I don't think there should be any shaming going on here. If I ever brought something to the table I wouldn't want to be so blasted that I would never try anything again. His next try can only have more sincere effort and maybe it'll be something someone likes. The atmosphere in here reminds me of the Howard Stern show sometimes except that I don't think anyone in here is asking for that kind of harassment.

Besides, I think that the anonymity afforded here really turns some people into uber-critics. Take that other thread "Trailer for my short film" the one with the Deathwrites short in it. There were a few people getting all high and mighty over someone's hard work and degrading it. Then it gets accepted into Cannes. So I think some people can be over critical here just for the fun/fuck of it.

rvcontre78 on
    The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard
    srsizzy wrote: »
    Why is this thread still open?

Grifter on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If something took you less than 10 seconds to think of and execute, and it doesn't even look interesting or make anyone happy, then it is not art...at least art that anyone wants to look at.

OBJECTION!

Urinoar13x15.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DeeLock wrote: »
    If something took you less than 10 seconds to think of and execute, and it doesn't even look interesting or make anyone happy, then it is not art...at least art that anyone wants to look at.

OBJECTION!

Urinoar13x15.jpg

Pretty sure the joke in that took a bit longer to execute than LewieP's bullshit.

I mean, half the joke is that it ended up in a museum. If LewieP ended up in a museum (unless it was in the Bodies exposition) it would be funny. Or rather, it would have been funny eighty years ago.

Aldo on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, we should stop dragging this example out when we talk about 'non-art art'. It's hardly questioned that Duchamp was a genius and, at very least, a proved accomplished artist in other regards as well. The comic strip in question might have an interesting grain of an idea but is so many light years away from being anything real.

multimoog on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well i guess i wasn't being completely serious :P

But ya...what multimoog said.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

If she does that I'll just let her go hungry.

D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

oh that i have produced such a cruel, heartless, unloving son who threatens to deprive his only mother, who carried him in her womb for 9 1/2 months (yes, 9 1/2 months, he wouldn't come out) and then nourished him bodily for a further year, and he threatens to not feed me whilst i have 1 arm in plaster, the other in a sling, just because he couldn't be bothered to put any effort (artistic or otherwise) in designing and writing a web comic AND he has the temerity to want me to paint him another picture! woe is me to have produced such a child.

lewie, IT SUCKS LIKE A HOOVER!

infract him, Tube, you know you want to.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    :lol: Oh lord, for a moment there I thought we were all about to get hit with the revelation Lewie was wet nursed well into his teens!

Regardless, now the circle is complete.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That's it internet.

I'm done with you.

LewieP on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why? It's beautiful.

Iriah on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I love it when a plan comes together. :lol:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ahahahahahahahahahahah!

Oh, man.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lewie, your mother and I are very disappointed in you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lewie: already a slacker in the womb.

Aldo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    That's it internet.

I'm done with you.
    We can still keep your mom around though, right?

see317 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I am laughing so hard right now.

The laughing, it won't stop!

OK, it stopped, but it was touch-and-go there for a minute.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So somebody mentioned that the first link may have contained something that may or may not be considered mildly humorous. Unfortunately, upon clicking on it I was only treated to a never ending loading message. I was perturbed.

So in short, I would say that you have unquestionably created one of the best web comics of all time. You have done what no other comic artist could ever hope to do. You made me look within myself. At first I was angry. Why won't you show me the goods, I thought. Clearly a simple jpeg could not bring my entire sisterboard to a standstill. But wait, maybe the contents of this image contain something of a higher power. Was inner reflection really the point of the loading?
    You showed me nothing, nothing but the questionable tease of things to come. Instead of showing me the spastic MS paint scribblings of a untalented madman, you teased me. You made use my imagination, and for that sir, I appluad you. Was the comic painfully unfunny? Would the comic have raped my eyes a new one? Perhaps, but I will never know anything except for what the loading screen chooses to tell me. All hail the Raptor Jesus reborn in digital form. He watches.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wow, im on slide 372 of the MS Paint adventures

too much funny

Sueve on