As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAoC] While we wait for WAR[56k]

• DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    itt online games cost similar amounts of money

Unknown User on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The great thing about Camelot though is you just download it and you get, pretty much all of the content most people have anyways. The two expansions really only are end game content.

Lucky Cynic on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Maybe... nah.

But...

Don't do it, you know how much other stuff you have to be doing!
    Do it.

Just finished patching, will probably roll Kobald Hunter, name Aeshma.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd be on this in a heartbeat if the trial didn't require a credit card, I do not have one myself and people I know who do are superstitious as all hell of using their card for anything online. Does the referral that can be given require a credit card as well?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, I'm tempted to try Albion just for the new Heretic class.
    The Heretic is a Dark Priest/Evil Cleric. They are hybrids who can use flexible weapons, but are restricted to cloth armor and small shields. They have the ability to heal, buff, use focus damage spells, resurrect realmmates into horribly twisted monsters and more.

The two Catacomb's only classes, in case anyone wants to spend the time dling that client as well.
    Valkyrie
    The Valkyrie is a female avatar-only class who specializes in both melee and magic to damage her enemies. They can use swords, shields, and spears, and they have special styles in each which are available only to them. Their magic line uses primarily Cone Area Effect (CAE) spells which affect every enemy in front of the Valkyrie who is in range of the spell.
    This class is only available to Catacombs users.

Warlock
    Warlocks are masters of spell weaving. Warlock primary spells take about twice as long to cast as regular spells in the game�however, anytime the Warlock casts a primary spell, they can (at no cost) add in a secondary spell that will land at the same time as the primary. This allows Warlocks to mix and match pairs of spells to fit whatever situation they find themselves in.
    This class is only available to Catacombs users.

I understand why they have the trial set up this way (only the main game and first expansion pack but with the upgraded player model graphics) but it is still annoying. I wish the Catacomb classes and TOA races were included in the trial. As is I'm having to DL two more clients, TAO and Catacombs, for those...even though I may not end up playing as any of them. My Bonedancer is pretty cool.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    ill admit, midgard is my least knowledgeable realm for RvR, but which would be the best class for solo play (in RVR obviously)

I think when the classic servers first came out i had a RM, SM and a Shadowblade.

Unknown User on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright, so, it looks like we have about 4 melee guys and 1 mage...I'm gonna switch. Going in as a dwarf healer by the name Maraxin.

EDIT: Holy crap I am only level 3 and have like, 10 buffs.

maraxus94 on
    edited April 2008
    Midgard is the melee realm, no doubt about that.
    I actually was wanting to go melee but figured a caster of some sort would be nice to have. What with positional, styles having too many melee on one mob can be an issue. I'll probably give the Warlock a try once Catacombs finishes downloading. Bonedances get a bunch of pets, and at least one of them is melee.

Accualt on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm really stunned how much work has gone into this game since the last time I played it. It's just amazing. It barely even feels like the same game anymore.

I also may switch to some other class once Catacombs & ToA finish downloading, but I'll stick to some sort of supportish class. Valkyrie looks pretty awesome - might go with that.

s3rial one on
    edited April 2008
    nice, my account is still around, need to finish updating though. can you autolevel on the classic servers yet?

Unknown User on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why did the Catacombs install just say it was going to occupy 77 GB of my harddrive?

Oats on
    edited April 2008
    I guess thats a no to my question then D:

Arthil on
    edited April 2008
    im thinkin of playing a bubble runemaster, PBT 4TW

Unknown User on
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    im thinkin of playing a bubble runemaster, PBT 4TW
    Assuming it's as cheesy and overpowered as the theurgist version, our melee-heavy team will love you long time.

s3rial one on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    nice, my account is still around, need to finish updating though. can you autolevel on the classic servers yet?

Nope. No, /level 20 for you.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Speaking of disguises, I'm doing that "Face of Chaos" quest and I can't figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do. The disguise doesn't stop the Vendo from attacking me, and the emissary walks right through the middle of thier camp.

Open up your journal, "J" IIRC, and then open up the bullet point and there should be a 'disguise' there and then click it and it will appear in your actual inventory and then /use it or equip it or whatever. This is a new feature that they added since people were having issues with quest items and full inventories and other stupid crap.

I bet that the WAR tome of knowledge will do something very similiar.

Nono, I had the disguise out and equipped and everything but it still didn't attack the Vendo from attacking me.

Nope.

Last Son on
    edited April 2008
    yeah, its been such a long time though so i don't really remember my specs, and its a pain in the ass if you fuck it up. so I don't rememeber if I'm supposed to go past 26 for the the 2nd and 3rd PBT, or just to 26 for the first one.

my instincts tell me to go 47RC/26Supp

Unknown User on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, gotta be honest, the UI for this game is pretty terrible.
    Ended up as a Valkyn Hunter named Myrai.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited April 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    Man, gotta be honest, the UI for this game is pretty terrible.
    Ended up as a Valkyn Hunter named Myrai.
    They really haven't spent much time on it. Just about everything else in the game has been overhauled since launch. The UI, though, is about the same as day 1. Just has some new skins.

Compared to the other MMOs of the day, it was pretty damned slick. Compared to what's out now, though? Yeah, it's pretty outdated.

s3rial one on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    im sure there are UI"S out there you an download. Im in game right now.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, installed the Trial client and Catacombs for the prettiness++ upgrade.

Patching in progress. I have a fast connection to the Interbutts, but my download speed for patching seems to be capped at 50 kb/s.

Oats on
    edited April 2008
    So I get to level 10 and run into the Demon's Breach, only to get ambushed by 3 yellow con alb infs. I see some things never change.

Last Son on
    edited April 2008
    For those who don't now, you will soon learn to hate all things Albion.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    For those who don't now, you will soon learn to hate all things Hibernia. Fucking hibs.

Unknown User on
    edited April 2008
    Nooooooo!
    I was a Hib!
    How can you hate such a magical group of people?

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    hey i had a champ and a chanter on andred, but so much hate.

Unknown User on
    edited April 2008
    Hibs are nifty keen. Even when I was playing Alb/Mid the hibbies never pissed me off nearly as much as the Albs did.

Last Son on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh shit.... Oh shit...

DAoC was my first MMO. I have a soft spot for this damn game... Midgard > all, FYI. Also: FUCK Hibs, and fuck the lurikeens.

urahonky on
    edited April 2008
    So if I'm level 10 and have done most of the quests(just the crafting ones left) is there a reason to stick around the tutorial zone or should I head on out?

Last Son on
    edited April 2008
    head on out man, plenty of stuff to do in the old world.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Nooooooo!
    I was a Hib!
    How can you hate such a magical group of people?
    Their entire fucking continent looks like a midget-infested golf course.

s3rial one on
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes. This. What server?

SmokeScreen on
    edited April 2008
    We are on gareth / midgard. If you already have chrs on midgard then i might suggest playing midgard on lamorek or ector, cause you can get to use on gareth just as easy.

Draeven on

• SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright, made a Midgard character on Gareth, name of Kalharath. Add or group or what have you!

SmokeScreen on
    edited April 2008
    once everyone reaches level 10, and there are quite a few people on ill log on my valk so can invite people on. I'll be on tomorrow in the afternoon / early evening.

Draeven on

edited April 2008
    Okay guys, I am logging in, be sure to add me to your friends list and shits, as well as send me PMs.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    *Wishes he could join you guys* =(

Arthil on
    edited April 2008
    So we should make a guild, yes? Any thoughts for names?

Last Son on
    edited April 2008
    I'm just throwing this out there but how about The Six Mouths?
    After all this is The Six Mouths beta guild beta.

Also Warlocks are confusing and seemingly suck early on. I could see them being rather potent in the hands of an experienced DAoCer. Too bad, I guess I'll go back to being a Bonedancer sense I'm sure we'll have 8million Thanes. Thanes are awesome. Maybe I'll recreat my old Mid guy and be a Hunter. I still think Hibernia has the most interesting classes and I still find most of Mid to be dull. :( Unfortunate for me that these feelings haven't changed after five years.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    The thing is, to make a guild we need a full 8 man group present and grouped together and it costs gold...

Lucky Cynic on