As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"Might I suggest a better browser?"

matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
What's with the little Firefox ad at the bottom of each page?

"firefox_80x15.pngMight I suggest a better browser?"

matthias00 on

• PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    IT'S A MESSAGE FROM SATAN STOP MASTURBATING GODDAMNIT YOU'RE GOING TO HELL

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    matthias00 wrote:
    What's with the little Firefox ad at the bottom of each page?

"firefox_80x15.pngMight I suggest a better browser?"

Ramius bought a can of worms at the store. He then took it home, and opened it.

FyreWulff on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    I do have a better browser.

It's called Mozilla Firebird 0.7.

Red Machine D on
  • ShiosaiShiosai Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm guessing PA makes some sort of money off of it...

or something!

Shiosai on
    60353019xm5.jpg
  • Red OktoberRed Oktober Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Shiosai wrote:

or something!

No, I doubt it, I think it's more probable that it's to help cut down on the amount of people who have problems with Iexplore, as well as generally providing a community service.

Or maybe they do, I don't know.

Red Oktober on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I think it might be a sort of joke by Ramius as a suggestion to all the people that complain about 'forum bugs' that are really just the fault of their sketchy browsers. Alphamonkey said he's probably going to remove it because he uses Safari and does most of the coding on the boards these days anyway.

Although considering how many of these threads it has sparked in the past few days, he may just change it to '[Search] - May I suggest you search before starting a new thread?'

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited August 2004
    Shiosai wrote:

or something!

No, I doubt it, I think it's more probable that it's to help cut down on the amount of people who have problems with Iexplore, as well as generally providing a community service.

Yes, the most likely conclusion is that the Mozilla Foundation, a group funded solely by donations, is paying Penny Arcade to advertise them on the PA forums index page.

Pheezer on
  • Red OktoberRed Oktober Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Shiosai wrote:

or something!

Yes, the most likely conclusion is that the Mozilla Foundation, a group funded solely by donations, is paying Penny Arcade to advertise them on the PA forums index page.

That's what I was getting that, although I wasn't 100% sure that mozilla didn't have some from of advertising, so I declined to say it.

Although they do sell the odd thing, from their store

Red Oktober on
  • ShiosaiShiosai Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    I said or something :roll: :roll: :roll:

Shiosai on
    60353019xm5.jpg
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited August 2004
    I'm a rogue spirit! I do what I please and you all get to suffer!

Seriously, though, It was just my little advertising donation to the Mozilla folks. I don't see what all the controversy is about. Other than the fact that people around here seem to thrive on controversy. We weren't hacked by a Mozilla evangelist, you can safely assume any changes made to the boards were made with the approval of either me, alpha, or both, since we are the only ones who have both access to the code, and an understanding of how to modify it.

Ramius on
    edited August 2004
    It's that the advert is appearing on good browsers in addition to IE and Netscape.

Pheezer on
    edited August 2004
    Um...by the way. Whats the difference between firefox and firebird? I thought one was a web browser and the other was an email app. or something but then I'm using a web browser called firebird right now and I know Ramius didn't make a mistake.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2004
    Firefox is Firebird. They just changed the name at (I think) version 0.8.

Thunderbird is the e-mail app.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2004
    Keith wrote:
    Firefox is Firebird. They just changed the name at (I think) version 0.8.

Thunderbird is the e-mail app.

I see, that clears some of the mystery up. Which way did they change it? Cause my firebird is only about a month old.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited August 2004
    If it's still Firebird rather than Firefox, it's a lot older than one month.

They changed it because the open source community couldn't pick a marketable name if their lives depended upon it.

Pheezer on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited August 2004
    ah, I see...so the issue people are having is that I said, "a better browser".

They take it to mean "a better browser than the one you are using", when I really meant, "a browser which is better than your average browser".

Sort of like Papa John's pizza says, "Better ingredients, Better Pizza" They just mean it is better in general. Not better than every possible other pizza. I suppose there is a subtext which implies it is better than the leading pizza, but that also applies here, because Firefox is better than the leading browser.

Oh, and for the interested, there is an open-source database called Firebird. It is not as widely known as PostgreSQL and MySQL, but it is every bit as good, and they rightfully pitched a fit when Mozilla tried to steal their name. Mozilla are masters of spin, and so you won't much see it reported that they were forced to back down, but in fact, they were.

Ramius on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Ramius wrote:
    Oh, and for the interested, there is an open-source database called Firebird. It is not as widely known as PostgreSQL and MySQL, but it is every bit as good, and they rightfully pitched a fit when Mozilla tried to steal their name. Mozilla are masters of spin, and so you won't much see it reported that they were forced to back down, but in fact, they were.

Was that why my Mozille Firebird browser freaked out and stopped working?

Because I have no clue what happened to it.

Obbi on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    Obbi wrote:
    Ramius wrote:

Was that why my Mozille Firebird browser freaked out and stopped working?

Because I have no clue what happened to it.
    0.7 is the last really stable Mozilla browser. The only problems I have with it coincide with when Ramius gets drunk or when alpha gets codehappy.

Speaking of which, Ramius, when's your next bender?

Red Machine D on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I like the prosthelytizing. Firefox is the shit.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on