As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] Hidden: Source

Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
teamshot.jpg

Mission Briefing: Hunt down an invisible enemy

What is Hidden: Source?

Hidden: Source or The Hidden is a mod for HL2 that places a well armed swat team against Subject 617, otherwise known as "The Hidden", the subject of a secret genetic experiment. This experiment gave him enhanced speed, mobility and incredible strength. He is able to cling to any surface and the experiment rendered him completely invisible.

IRIS_Members_12.jpg

Storyline:

In the early 1950s human genetics experimentation was taking its first, tentative steps. Amongst many other black projects, a team of British scientists working at an Infinitum Research experimental station stumbled across some remarkable phenomena involving DNA manipulation. This led to deeper research with dangerously unpredictable results, often leading to human patients losing their lives in irresponsible and immoral experiments.

Time passed on, and by the mid 1990s the failure rate of the experiments had been reduced from 75% to a mere 15%, enough for Infinitum to move onto the next stage: Biological Light Refraction. The British team were hoping to unravel the possibilities of light manipulation to create the perfect covert military agent. Early into the new millennium, due to a gross miscalculation, a series of tests on Subject 617 led to a massive synaptic trauma leaving the patient with multiple genetic anomalies.

The subject was left in constant pain and with unstable DNA. The subject escaped captivity, killing anyone that got in its way. The I.R.I.S. (Infinitum Research Interception Squad) team have been deployed to return the subject to a maximum security Infinitum Research facility for further study and dissection. The entire project was considered a failure: all funding ceased and development was discontinued while all records and traces of the experiments were destroyed. Infinitum Research denies all knowledge of any form of human DNA manipulation but are more than happy to comment on the possibilities of cloning human organs inside suitable animal donors. It is believed that these organ cloning experiments form the main cover for their human genetic manipulation experimentations.

Subject 617, known as 'The Hidden', must turn the tables and become the hunter instead of the hunted as the I.R.I.S. team close their net around him.

Where can I download this?

You can download it here. You'll need HL2.

Cold Salmon and Hatred on

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love Hidden. I'm probably going to reinstall Steam for this.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    this would be a good game if it wasn't buggy as fuck

i've been following it for awhile. last version i played was prolly 6 months ago... was still buggy as fuck!

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    b5 gets released soon

I'll probably run a dedicated server anytime a few PAers want to play

• RepoxRepox Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Funnest thing if you can see well.
    HINT HINT
    hint hint

Repox on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love you for making this thread, Zot

<3

Hylianbunny on
    edited April 2008
    Baron Davis' Beard needs to stop kicking our asses at this.

Seriously, the guy can see the Hidden coming from a mile away somehow

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love this game. It's like Predator 2, only without the suck.

Also, last time I played there was a way you could alter your graphics settings, or something, that let you see the Hidden much easier. Is that bug still in? I remember the developer being a bit of a dick about it and delaying a fix.

Archonex on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A bunch of us played this while waiting for TF2 to release.

Reading this thread now hearing people talk about exploits to see the hidden easier makes me feel better, because I had a bitch of a time seeing him yet I would get routinely blasted by fuckheads when I was being quite stealthy.

The other problem, perhaps because of my above issues, was that most servers turned off the pigsticker. Being the hidden was already fucking hard vs 8 people, when you have to hit them 3-4 times each it just got stupid impossible.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited April 2008
    pfft

The Hidden really isn't that hard to spot, you just have to practice looking for him, there are a lot of telltale signs.

and yeah knife kills are really really hard to get

• StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This actually sounds pretty awesome. Downloading. :D

Stasis on
  • FluffumsFluffums Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Baron Davis' Beard needs to stop kicking our asses at this.

Seriously, the guy can see the Hidden coming from a mile away somehow

:D

Anyhoo, yeah, I wub Hidden now, and I need more invisible things to shoot, so DL it and play

Fluffums on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe me and my friends suck as hidden, but we got together and and played a full game and it was freaking impossible for the hidden after we stopped being idiots and worked together/stopped running around making it impossible to spot it. Even when using grenades, the hidden simply couldn't kill someone fast enough to not get shot by 8 other people.

If my connection were good I would so play this online.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Holy cow, this is some terrible lag. It's like for every step forward I take half a step back.

Still fun, though, provided my teammates keep their mouths shut. Even a newbie like me managed to pop the Hidden once.

Rust on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's fucking ridiculous when you get to play a game against a Hidden who just really knows what the hell he's doing. There could be 8 of you in one area and he just leaps like some kind of lemur from hell.

Leap - Stab - Leap - Stab Leap - Leap - Stab stab stab - leap - grenade - leap - Taunt - Stab

JamesKeenan on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like the part where the hidden guy can string up bodies.
    hdn_highrise0000.jpg

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited April 2008
    When I used to play this with SE++ guys, Wombat!! set up the "happy room"

Basically he knifed everyone to death except blankspace, hung everyone up in one tiny room, and lead blankspace into the room.

• StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, is there any server in particular on which we should be playing?

Stasis on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will reinstall this. If you have a server post the info. I hate those cocky ass pubs that taunt me while they are the hidden. This games great though. I get real creeped out and just pop rounds off all over the place.

Also dead bodies hanging all over the place is the best.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Whenever I played Hidden, everyone bitched at me pigsticking. I am playing against 8 men with guns, who may or may not be exploiting in some way to see me even easier. The most common thing was "PIGSTICKER GIVES NO CHANCE TO FIGHT BACK FAGGOT!!!" Well no shit. I'd hope so. Are you saying I should play by some arbitrary set of rules, me, a naked man with a knife versus 8 armed commandos? Fuck you, idiot guy.

Thor1590 on
    edited April 2008
    I don't think it's very fair for the Hidden to not have pigsticking on. I can see people bitching if some Predator type dude was slaying everyone with ease. The Hiddens pretty fragile though. It's best to act as a team and stay calm. Which is great until that sneaky fucker starts tossing his explosives. So many ways to get killed by him.

I'm a terrible hidden though. You can see me coming from a mile away.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    this is the best source mod thus far.
    I am totally down for playing soon.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Your name tells us all we need to know.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will totally play this

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I totally played this with Zot and Noluit and Baron Davis and Doug and maybe someone else but my memory sucks.

Some PA Hidden'ing would be most excellent.

Mustachio Jones on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We should make a PA Hidden: Source group on Steam

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Installing now.

artoo on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played this for a little while.

I saw the hidden really easily, but wasn't much good playing as the guy myself. I remember I took ages to learn how he worked.

It's a good mod, soundly executed. But I don't think the maps are that great and it suffered from douches last time. Maybe I'll redownload - the PA crew kicks ass.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Downloading/installing now. I'm going to try to get some of my buddies in on this for some LAN action.

I second Pharezon's motion for a PA Hidden: Source group.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
    edited April 2008
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PennyArcadeHiddenSource

Made a group. It's public so everyone can join!

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    /join'd.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love Steam Groups, such a good idea for situations just like this.

After a big following emerges and a server is set up and everyone is used to the game, the community features generally stop being used (except for special events), but at the start of everything it works great for organizing. The C. features are rarely used for PA TF2 now, but at the start it was huge.

Sueve on
    edited April 2008
    Sueve wrote: »

After a big following emerges and a server is set up and everyone is used to the game, the community features generally stop being used (except for special events), but at the start of everything it works great for organizing. The C. features are rarely used for PA TF2 now, but at the start it was huge.

Are ya gonna join?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited April 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

Are ya gonna join?

Yeah, pero I'm theoritically doing hw.

Sueve on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Guys this is the best thing on an Overrun map

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I should be studying right now so that means I'm downloading this.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
    edited April 2008
    Guys don't forget to join the steam group for it :)

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited April 2008
    Cannot connect to VAC server. What the fuuuuuuuuuck.

artoo on
    edited April 2008
    artoo wrote: »

oh shi-

worst thing ever amirite?

Sorry dude.

Sueve on
    edited April 2008
    artoo wrote: »

oh shi-

worst thing ever amirite?

Sorry dude.

I was really mad till I saw a a really funny ytmnd. :lol:

artoo on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The client doesn't seem to want to download tonight. I'll try again in the morning. :(

Narian on
    Narian.gif