As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Biggest douchebag in gaming?

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
Now, you can submit a real person if you like (yes, I know, a lot of 'Jack Thompson' is going to come up in this thread), but at least try to at least submit a game character too.

I think one character who sums up the phrase 'douchebag' quite well is Kent from Dead Rising

doucheff3.jpg

The first time you come across him, he comes across as a self indulgent little prick with a shrill, high pitched voice that just makes you want to stab him in the voice box with a machete. Now, a player in their right mind would skip his highly annoying photography mission he gives you (taking pictures of THIS douche? No thank you) by clubbing him over the head with a baseball bat until he stops twitching and all would be well. Now, if one decides to partake of his incredibly irritating mission of taking certain snapshots of high point value, there is a good chance he will get to laugh at you in the most annoying way possible if you screw up then prance away never to be seen again before you can disembowel him.

I'll spoiler the rest for minor mission/story spoilers, but they aren't that important.
Now, if you get the pictures he wants, he will throw a tantrum, once again prancing off after telling you to meet him later on. Once again, if you didn't club him to death earlier you will probably regret it as if you make the meeting a second too late, the douchebag has tied up/kidnapped an innocent survivor and taken a snuff shot of them being molested in the ear by a zombie larvae. If that wasn't bad enough, he then pulls a gun on Frank, orders him to strip his clothes and chains him up by the neck so he can take pictures of Frank being mauled by zombies.

All that happens if you make the meeting on time is you get the give him the beating he so rightly deserved at the start of the game, well, you get to save one extra survivor, but if you killed Kent earlier he wouldn't have been able to kidnap this guy in the first place. Sure, one could say that if Kent didn't kidnap him for Frank to save, the survivor may not have... well, survived, but still, if he could of gone through his life without meeting Kent the Douche I think he would have died a much happier man. Yes, I declare that being eaten alive by zombies is a more enjoyable fate than meeting Kent.

There you go, a game character with NO reedeming qualities who's purpose in life only serves to make everyone else miserable, the only positive confrontation with him involves him beingbeaten to a bloody pulp in the most entertaining and satisfying way possible.

I haven't played too much of the game, but Steve Burnside from Resident Evil: Code Veronica X certianly fits the criteria of 'Douchebag', as deligtfully illustrated in this quite amusing Let's play adventure http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/RECV/chapter1.html

Image67.jpg

Lifted from the let's play, videos that show how much of a douche this guy really is

The first encounter - http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/RECV/Videos/recv2-1.avi
Claire's expression at the end just sums up exactly what she is thinking after saving this douche's life and putting up with his sass - http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/RECV/Videos/recv5-2.avi

So, what other characters (or if you like, real people) in gaming do you find to be insufferable little twats who only deserve to be put through a wood chipper?

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't remember his name, but that fat programmer bloke in F.E.A.R qualifies.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Roshin wrote: »

The worst part is that he can't be killed, not matter how hard you try to kill him, that cheeto sucking douchebag just keeps on living...

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Roshin wrote: »

God I HATE THAT GUY

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hm, would anyone call Volgin from MGS3 a douche (well, not to his face at least)?

mgs3-volgin.gif

Granted, he qualifies for the title in a lot of ways, but he has a slight, inherent coolness about him. Personality wise, yes, he is a complete douche, but being able to manipulate bullets in that way IS pretty cool...

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You've got me; I honestly cannot think of anyone more annoying and worthy of the douchebag title than Kent. Miserable prick, I never did his stupid side mission. He got the sledgehammer to the head, every time.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "You must gather your party before venturing forth."

Fuck you.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey! Listen!

It wouldn't be as much of a problem if she actually waited long enough. But if I've just been told to go somewhere, immediately set off, and then you interrupt me halfway across Hyrule Field to say 'Hey! remember where we have to be going!', I should be allowed to murder you.

I'm surprised this hasn't been already said.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Navi isn't a douchebag. How can a fairy be a douche? That doesn't even make sense.

Dusda on
  • Options
    unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I too think that fat programmer from F.E.A.R. is the biggest douchebag.

I wonder how many people on this thread are going to mention the duck hunt dog.

unknownsome1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Jiovani from Zelda:TP

The only douchebag I know with gem eyes. GO FIND YOUR OWN DAMN POE SOULS YOU DOUCHE! :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Borris from Goldeneye. I remember chasing that fucker around for so long, just so he could do some stupid computer geek stuff. I just wanted to shoot him in the face the whole god damn time.
    Fuck you Boris. Fuck you.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Roshin wrote: View Post
    God I HATE THAT GUY

Same here.

I wonder how many people on this thread are going to mention the duck hunt dog.

I was going to agree with the OP on Kent, but I just remembered this dog. That dog is a bastard.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    Navi isn't a douchebag. How can a fairy be a douche? That doesn't even make sense.

Mainly because she doesn't wait nearly long enough to assume that you're lost, and then pauses the whole freaking game to spout off about something that I know I should be doing, but can't because she interrupted my journey to tell me about it.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »

Mainly because she doesn't wait nearly long enough to assume that you're lost, and then pauses the whole freaking game to spout off about something that I know I should be doing, but can't because she interrupted my journey to tell me about it.

In the world of 'fairy'ism, Navi is a total douche.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dereck Smart

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kratos.
    He's like all the stupid dreams of the particularly stupid kind of 13-year-old-boy rolled into one, and badly needs to have his teeth kicked in.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Navi is trying to help you, that is her reedeming feature, she is grating but not a malicious bitch.

Boris, hmm, that's a tough one... yeah, I'd consider him a douche. He was the head programmer on the goldeneye satellite anyway. Yeah, complete douche. Then again 006 was a super douche too.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I wonder if the reason nobody has mentioned Raiden yet has anything to do with his 'zomg awesome' MGS4 debut.

Dusda on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I had to chase that fucker around too, except he sicked all his guards on me while I was doing it. That makes him a super butthole (he's beyond douche).

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Raiden wasn't near as much of a douche as his dumbass girlfriend Rose.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God fucking DAMN i don't think i've ever hated anything more than that guy from FEAR

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Derek Smart

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Derek Smart

A description of who this is would be helpful.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fuck. That's three.

If you say his name 3 times he will find you on the internet and ruin your forums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Smart

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    From Wiki:

In an interview which was featured on the cover page of Computer Gaming World, Smart said of his online persona: "Sometimes when I get online, and it's quiet, and I see something that attracts my attention, I'll post just to piss these guys off. That's why I do it. Because I'm in a good mood that day, I go in there and I start trouble."

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh

no_more_heroes_travis_touchdown_20061201.jpg

I'm up to the 6th ranked boss battle, but Travis seems to be a total douche. His redeeming feature is the fact that it's very entertaning to see him screw up, get his ass kicked, do something completley idiotic, step a on a land mine, etc.

He's like a pissed off, skinny version the 'Star Wars Kid'.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rosh Penin from Jedi Academy. That insufferable little lowlife begins his tenure by releasing a training droid during a simple competition against you. What he failed to realize is that this droid was often used by Luke Skywalker for training, and had it been set up so it would've killed you so fast that there wouldn't even be time to scream.

His reaction when called out on it?

"Lol, watevs."

Then the little fucker betrays you for Tavion. Why? Sure, she had a fine rack and all that but he must've had the willpower of a kleptomaniac to betray everyone that had ever shown him kindness for an at best dubious promise of power. You do get to kick his ass at this point, but his Sugar Mommy steps in and prevents you.

A fair while later, you encounter him once more. He's begging for forgiveness, apologizing for what a total jerk he's been. This is after he flippantly tried to kill you to win a contest, and directly tried to murder you because he's a weak willed bastard who's very act of living makes him a thief. An oxygen thief whose every breath deprives you of the air you need to live. You can choose to kill him then. You're still an inexperienced Jedi, no one will treat you too badly for getting some revenge on this piece of shit.

No, killing him makes you go to the Dark Side, whilst sparing his cowardly, weaselly hide is supposedly the Light Side way of doing this. Never mind that he'll probably betray you again.

Maybe I'm not cut out to be a Jedi, but Rosh Penin was a douchebag that deserved to be flushed out of an airlock.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I know he's been mentioned already, but this guy, a thousand times this guy.

duck-hunt-game.jpg

Fuck you!

Smug bastard.

Kelor on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Eric Sparrow from Tony Hawk's Underground. Through out the whole game he keeps trying to screw you over and in general is just a douche.

Highlights include getting you arrested. Forgetting to sign you up for tournaments. Getting you thrown into a Russian prison. Editing your highlight videos to make you look bad.

Over all there are bigger douches out there, but this guy ranks up pretty high.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The only douchebag I know with gem eyes. GO FIND YOUR OWN DAMN POE SOULS YOU DOUCHE! :P

How is he a douchebag? And how is he supposed to find the poes himself when he can't even move before you've found 20?

Peewi on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    <--

Evander on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    fatty.jpg

Probably the only in-game civilian character that irritated me so much that I wanted to chuck him out a window. Possibly after setting him on fire.

I have to say, he was a brilliant addition to the game as a result. Right down to his "RTFM" belt, he was a character that everyone loves to hate. I honestly hope that jerk returns in the sequel.

It was especially brilliant when you discovered a discarded Cheetos packet on the floor, and that music cue plays, and you just know who's going to be around the next corner. That was a nice touch.

subedii on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rosh Penin from Jedi Academy. That insufferable little lowlife begins his tenure by releasing a training droid during a simple competition against you. What he failed to realize is that this droid was often used by Luke Skywalker for training, and had it been set up so it would've killed you so fast that there wouldn't even be time to scream.

"Lol, watevs."

Then the little fucker betrays you for Tavion. Why? Sure, she had a fine rack and all that but he must've had the willpower of a kleptomaniac to betray everyone that had ever shown him kindness for an at best dubious promise of power. You do get to kick his ass at this point, but his Sugar Mommy steps in and prevents you.

A fair while later, you encounter him once more. He's begging for forgiveness, apologizing for what a total jerk he's been. This is after he flippantly tried to kill you to win a contest, and directly tried to murder you because he's a weak willed bastard who's very act of living makes him a thief. An oxygen thief whose every breath deprives you of the air you need to live. You can choose to kill him then. You're still an inexperienced Jedi, no one will treat you too badly for getting some revenge on this piece of shit.

No, killing him makes you go to the Dark Side, whilst sparing his cowardly, weaselly hide is supposedly the Light Side way of doing this. Never mind that he'll probably betray you again.

Maybe I'm not cut out to be a Jedi, but Rosh Penin was a douchebag that deserved to be flushed out of an airlock.

I havent done that game light side yet, everytime I get to that point I kill him. How can you not kill him?

Even looking at it from an totally RP perspective, sure Jaden calls Rosh his friend, but all we have seen of Rosh and Jaden is either:

A: Rosh trying to kill Jaden
    or
    B: Jaden (and everyone else) being annoyed by Rosh.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That guy who just cursed at you online. Yeah, that's a lot then...

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    fatty.jpg

Probably the only in-game civilian character that irritated me so much that I wanted to chuck him out a window. Possibly after setting him on fire.

I have to say, he was a brilliant addition to the game as a result. Right down to his "RTFM" belt, he was a character that everyone loves to hate. I honestly hope that jerk returns in the sequel.

It was especially brilliant when you discovered a discarded Cheetos packet on the floor, and that music cue plays, and you just know who's going to be around the next corner. That was a nice touch.

BUT THEY DIDN'T LET YOU KILL HIM WHY COULDN'T THEY LET ME PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER FUCKING BULLETPROOF GLASS

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Derek Smart

:(

How can you not know him?

MarkyX on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    NATIK wrote: »

"Lol, watevs."

I havent done that game light side yet, everytime I get to that point I kill him. How can you not kill him?

Even looking at it from an totally RP perspective, sure Jaden calls Rosh his friend, but all we have seen of Rosh and Jaden is either:

A: Rosh trying to kill Jaden
    or
    B: Jaden (and everyone else) being annoyed by Rosh.

Utterly infantile but worth it for the first 10 seconds.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

How is he a douchebag? And how is he supposed to find the poes himself when he can't even move before you've found 20?

Maybe if he took the gems out of his eyes he could move...

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dr. John from Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers was a real dickhead.

Also, Stauf from The 7th Guest/The 11th Hour. This fucker had an epiphany after clobbering an old woman to death with a hammer to her skull to steal some small pocket change (yay Great Depression!). The epiphany came as per a dream: "build this doll." When he woke up he did nothing but carve the doll. He started to become popular in town and relatively wealthy. Every kid wanted a Stauf doll. So, of course, like all dollmakers, he started trapping souls inside the dolls he sold to children. The children's souls. He then builds a demonic house, traps a bunch of adults inside it on the pretext that he will fulfill all their wildest dreams, and tries to force them to give him a boy who's had to relive the experience for decades.

In other words, Stauf is a real dick.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.