As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SO WHO MADE IT INTO THE OMEGATHON

13»

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    I've also been practicing as much as possible. I don't have an X-Box, but I go into my local Gamestop enough that they let me practice there. As for the rest, I've just been practicing whenever I've had the chance. I have a feeling I won't be the best, but the wonderful thing about the competition is that I don't have to be the best until the very end.

Also, Doom is probably one of my stronger suits, if I've retained my old school skill. But of course, I have to get to Doom... :? [/i]

Unknown User on
  • Options
    fishpondbubble07fishpondbubble07 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    JoshEEE wrote:
    So which flavor of Diceland did you end up buying? There seem to be a bunch.

I bought Deep White Sea. The only difference between the three are the characters on the dice, the basic rules are the still the same.

fishpondbubble07 on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Whoever gets knocked out in the Diceland round is gonna be disgruntled. Everyone rightfully expects that putzing around at a game with a bunch of other noobs isn't worth worrying about, but someone's gotta go.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Whoever gets knocked out in the Diceland round is gonna be disgruntled. Everyone rightfully expects that putzing around at a game with a bunch of other noobs isn't worth worrying about, but someone's gotta go.

Actually...if I got knocked out in Diceland, I wouldn't be mad. That's the only game I don't feel confident about.

Now...if someone owned me at Halo, Mario Kart or Doom because I spent too much time practicing Diceland or DDR....and I got sloppy, THEN I'd be disgruntled. :D

JoshEEE on
    Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'd guess that it's the original Doom, probably Doom II because the double barreled shotgun rocks the casbah, but that's just a guess. They would probably have specified if it was Doom3, though I stress probably.

As for the secret round, I'd guess either Tribes (1 or 2, I'm not sure which they liked more), however I'm not sure if that game is good for one on one. Remember, whatever game they choose, it'll have to be one which is good for one on one play.

I think it'd be great if the secret round is a Penny Arcade Trivia game. If I were all of you, I'd start reading old strips, just in case. Even if the secret round isn't trivia, then it still may give you a tip on what the secret game is.

Also, we probably shouldn't worry about whether or not they've e-mailed people yet. They're busy, for sure; they said there is, what, about two thousand people pre-registered? If you assume only a quarter of that amount shows up without being preregistered (which is probably a conservative amount), then that's at least 2500 people. That's a lot of people for which they must prepare.

-Kyle

P.S. I guess I'm feeling long winded today.

Quethal on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Doctor K wrote:
    Just so you guys know- we're a bit behind on getting back to everyone... you see... there's still two slots open.

We'll get to you soon. :)

-robert

WHOO KHOO!!!

Can you give people that registered a little late a chance too? :cry:

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hey...i was thinking. How cool would it be if just like they were uspecific for which version of doom we are playing, they are doing the same for halo. As in Halo 2 is our contest event! I think that would be so hot. Plus it would level the playing field since the map would be new to everyone!

....yep, being in this contest sure enough will cause my imagination to go wild and my brain to explode.

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
  • Options
    RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Gabe posted the names of the 20 contestants on the main page. WOOT. At least its some outlook into the competition. BTW, i'm Matthew Foster.

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
  • Options
    dracoflamedracoflame Registered User new member
    edited August 2004
    Even though I got a call this morning, it's still nice to see my name on the PA front page... All my friends who are going to PAX flipped when I told them. One likened it to "my friend going on Who Wants to be a Millionare?"
    That just makes it all even cooler.
    I would like to know which versions of these games we're going to play; that would make practicing that much less time consuming. Oh, well.

dracoflame on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Sheesh this is exciting. I wish I was going, if not to play than just to watch.

They need a live quicktime stream of the Omegathon events, that shit is better than the olympics. I expect to hear chants of U-S-A, U-S-A when shit gets exciting. Someone really needs to host this live on the web.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    Gabe posted the names of the 20 contestants on the main page. WOOT. At least its some outlook into the competition. BTW, i'm Matthew Foster.
    Thank god. I have a friend with the exact same name as you and I was about to beat him over the head with a stick since he told me he wasn't going to PAX.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Well, well, my fellow Omeganauts finally revealed. The game is afoot! I'm Kevin Potter, by the way. You can all expect to meet a finely honed, focused fighting machine the day of reckoning.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm officially rooting for:

Svetlana Tchistiakova

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DrasiirDrasiir Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    The secret game is Wario Ware.

Drasiir on
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    If there is stuff that the winner doesn't want they should auction it off there and give the procedes to Childs Play.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    BinkleyBinkley Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Man, people are taking this quite seriously... :shock: (I guess huge cash value prizes do that to people.)

Well I'm sorta glad that we don't have more specific rules for each of the games because even though I now have no more summer classes and can sit around playing games all day I'm sure the other contestants have lives and stuff.

Anyways, in the crazy chance that I do win I'm totally selling a lot of the colleciton and donating the proceeds to Child's Play. I dunno where I would store all that stuff since I share an apartment with 3 other guys.

Oh yeah, pick me (Jonathan Soon) if you like rooting for a longshot/darkhorse/underdog. :wink:

Binkley on
    A video blog about random jank:
    The KB Life
  • Options
    ThatOneGuyThatOneGuy Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hey everyone. Erik Bergman here. Just started a new topic specifically for Omeganauts. Have to say I’m training, which is good because I need it. I’m feeling pretty good about everything but DDR, though I’m no uber gamer. Just got solid skills, so I hope that can bring me through to the second day at least. Haven’t played diceland, but I’m pretty big on table top, so no real worries there.

ThatOneGuy on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Binkley wrote:
    Man, people are taking this quite seriously... :shock: (I guess huge cash value prizes do that to people.)

Oh yeah, pick me (Jonathan Soon) if you like rooting for a longshot/darkhorse/underdog. :wink:

Wait wait wait.....you're in it, yet you're surprised with how much of a big deal it is? You're not thinking of backing down because of a sudden sense of pressure, are you?

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    BinkleyBinkley Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hell no. This is how I gear up for all my tournies (see signature). Worked pretty well for EVO 2004.

Binkley on
    A video blog about random jank:
    The KB Life
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Mimura is a wise man.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat