As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The old GTAIV thread that should be locked

1565758596062»

• Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here are some multiplayer screens;

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6274_en.html

Hope I'm not late as per usual.

Graphical downgrade aside, looks absolutely wicked! This game is going to eat up free time.

Nice, I-Beam knife fight.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that cross-platform console multiplayer is still an impossibility?

Completely, utterly impossible.

Unless you're talking console ping pong.

You could grill some burgers on a ps3 outside and beat the shit out of a foul mouthed squirrel with a wiimote over an endless plain of defunct 360s.

It's not impossible, it just won't happen. Cross console multiplayer is possible, and has been done before.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Graphical downgrade aside, looks absolutely wicked! This game is going to eat up free time.

Fucking EPIC
    10770010qf4.jpg

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Am I correct in assuming that cross-platform console multiplayer is still an impossibility?

You could grill some burgers on a ps3 outside and beat the shit out of a foul mouthed squirrel with a wiimote over an endless plain of defunct 360s.

It's not impossible, it just won't happen. Cross console multiplayer is possible, and has been done before.
    Really? What game? (I don't count console-PC stuff like FF11.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow. Those pictures are hawt.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Well, it doesn't matter if you don't count console-PC stuff, since it still counts. And, it's ironic that you chose FFXI as your example, since PS2 players can play with Xbox 360 players.

Anyways, the following support cross-platform play:
    Quake 3
    Phantasy Star Online
    FFXI
    Champions Online
    Lost Planet: Colonies
    Shadowrun
    UNO

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Isn't a 360 Premium good enough? Is an Elite worth $100 more?

As far as I can tell the Elite has an HDMI port and a larger hard drive. I don't know if you can replace the Xbox's HD with any old SATA drive thogh. That'd be nice.
    I'm just a primitive unfrozen caveman gamer. I know not of your high definitions as I play games on my CRT TV.

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Isn't a 360 Premium good enough? Is an Elite worth $100 more?

As far as I can tell the Elite has an HDMI port and a larger hard drive. I don't know if you can replace the Xbox's HD with any old SATA drive thogh. That'd be nice.
    I'm just a primitive unfrozen caveman gamer. I know not of your high definitions as I play games on my CRT TV.

Get the premium. IN fact, get the arcade - it's cheaper in the long run. All current 360 models have HDMI, even the arcade. And you can get used HDDs for $50 at ebgames, so you'll wind up with 256 mb MORE with the arcade, and you'll still save $30.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I just wanted to thank you for painting this mental picture of a backyard Sunday. . . I had a good laugh.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fucking EPIC
    10770010qf4.jpg

Really like the brawling shot on the steel beam. Also, one picture shows a firefight inside. So, you can go in certain buildings in multiplayer as well? Cool.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No pedestrians in multiplayer?

How about traffic?

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flyingman wrote: »

How about traffic?

Pedestrians and traffic are server options you can turn on and off, and I believe you can also change density levels, as well.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    And you can get used HDDs for $50 at ebgames, so you'll wind up with 256 mb MORE with the arcade
    Wait, what?

Edit: Oh wait, the Arcade comes with a memory card. Not that I can see a 256 MB card being of much value once you have a HDD. So does installing a used HDD void any warranties? How difficult is it for someone who never opens up a console except to put in a disc?

forty on
  • Options
    FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Flyingman wrote: »

How about traffic?

Pedestrians and traffic are server options you can turn on and off, and I believe you can also change density levels, as well.

Excellent! I came several times...

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    UNO

Eh? Really?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And you can get used HDDs for $50 at ebgames, so you'll wind up with 256 mb MORE with the arcade
    Wait, what?

Edit: Oh wait, the Arcade comes with a memory card. Not that I can see a 256 MB card being of much value once you have a HDD. So does installing a used HDD void any warranties? How difficult is it for someone who never opens up a console except to put in a disc?

You don't have to open anything. It just hooks into the side of the 360. It has no effect on warranties.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well, it doesn't matter if you don't count console-PC stuff, since it still counts. And, it's ironic that you chose FFXI as your example, since PS2 players can play with Xbox 360 players.

Quake 3
    Phantasy Star Online
    FFXI
    Champions Online
    Shadowrun
    UNO
    Not really ironic. Yes, I know PS2 and 360 players can play with each other, but it isn't exclusive and it isn't between themselves. It must go through an externally hosted server. I think of the console versions as client programs that don't specifically interact with each other. At least in a direct way.

Of course, typing that out does kind of mean that it is the only way for this sort of thing to happen. Which means that the answer to the original question is 'Yes and no'. Yes it can happen with proper server and programming support. No it can't happen if the only way to play is setup through direct connections between host and clients. (I'm not bagging on PtP LIVE-type service. This is not the place for that discussion...again...)

But I thought PSO didn't connect with others. Or maybe I'm thinking only of the Dreamcast version.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, what?

Nope. It just slots right in. There's even a picture on the HDD showing you how to do it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Evangir wrote: »
    Wait, what?

You don't have to open anything. It just hooks into the side of the 360. It has no effect on warranties.
    Wait, what? You can use external HDDs on a 360 as integrated storage devices? By what mystical process does this work?

EDIT:
    Oh, wait. Are you talking about the external, but still MS approved HDD? I though people were talking about non-MS HDDs...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

Quake 3
    Phantasy Star Online
    FFXI
    Champions Online
    Shadowrun
    UNO
    Not really ironic. Yes, I know PS2 and 360 players can play with each other, but it isn't exclusive and it isn't between themselves. It must go through an externally hosted server. I think of the console versions as client programs that don't specifically interact with each other. At least in a direct way.

A properly programmed internet game NEVER has clients directly communicate with each other. Everyone is told what to do by a single host, whether that person is actually in the game or if it's a server.

The reason you don't see more inter-console online gaming is due to politics and nothing more.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's what I suspected, how rare that it's true. Though it's annoying to the consumer- I got Orange Box for my PS3 on Christmas, turned around and Steamed it a week later due to nineteen other people online for TF2, ever.

And I'm already back to considering a 360 for this game. Only for the more people on Live, not technical reasons.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I am going to steal the game.

Fourth wall breaking
    I'm not going to steal the game

This reminds me of the UK advert for.. The Italian Job, was it? On DVD. They finished with "go out and nick it now!" with text saying "don't steal it" flashing at the bottom of the screen.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yep, I remember that too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Namel3ss wrote: »

I just wanted to thank you for painting this mental picture of a backyard Sunday. . . I had a good laugh.

<3

I try!
    davidbarry wrote: »
    Really like the brawling shot on the steel beam. Also, one picture shows a firefight inside. So, you can go in certain buildings in multiplayer as well? Cool.

Seems like interiors are being handled seamlessly, or at least can be loaded simultaneously. I look forward to the sprawling firefights.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wait, what?

Oh, awesome! Maybe I'll just get an Arcade then and wait until the DLC becomes available to buy a drive. If it takes a while before the first DLC release, maybe they'll be cheaper by then.

forty on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Should I make a new thread?

bruin on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, what?

Oh, awesome! Maybe I'll just get an Arcade then and wait until the DLC becomes available to buy a drive. If it takes a while before the first DLC release, maybe they'll be cheaper by then.

One use for the small memory pack is to take your profile with you to a friend's house. You can get your details through Live, but it seems to take longer over time, the more games and DLC you have. When me and my friends all first got 360's it took a couple of minutes to transfer Gamertags. These days, dozens and dozens of games, and mountains of DLC later, it takes like 20 - 25 minutes. I'm pretty tempted to get a memory card myself - and my brother just bought one.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    bruin wrote: »

Absolutely, sir.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    bruin wrote: »

Sounds like a plan, Stan.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does the ps3 version have DLC?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I use a memory card for that very purpose, and it works excellently.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    MarioG wrote: »

Who knows.

Microsoft paid something like $50 million for two exclusive downloadable chapters, no word if they will ever come to PS3 or if there will be anything else available for it at this point.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    MarioG wrote: »
    No. DLC is the exlusive domain of the 360 due to $50 million reasons.

Edit:

...like a red-headed step-child...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wow if the ps3 gets the chapters too that kinda sucks for MS because they spent 50 mill and then sony gets it free.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah thats exactly why a lot of folks are thinking Microsoft must have the exclusive exclusive on those chapters.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I would have gotten mine for the 360 due to the DLC but I dont play online for 360. So this kinda sucks.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    New thread

Stop posting here, mods plz lock this

bruin on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    You're not the boss of me.

Tube on