As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3D printing, Mostly Toy making Magic!

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2008 in Artist's Corner
sooo.....My school has a 3D printer, So for my Intro to 3D class final I'm going to design a "vinyl" toy, it wont be vinyl, it'll be like the corn starch print out, but a designer toy none the less. I'm trying to go for a simple elegant shape where the pattern can be individualized.

fooplan1.jpg
fooplan2.jpg
finalized idea:
foofinalplan.jpg

This looks rather simple, but My teacher wants me to keep some high concepts in mind, and it is my final. I had some more graffiti inspired looking things with big arms and heads and such, but teach wanted me to do something less standard and more personal. I'm going for the foo dog concept because I want it to represent both companionship and protection, which to me is the underlying reason people like to collect things and surround themselves with characters. I want this come across in the figure, and then back it up in a solid pattern/package design.

I'll be posting as I go along in the process.

Iruka on

• Options
    Wonder BreadWonder Bread Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can't wait to see the finished product! Are you going to paint it afterwards?
    Is that even possible with 3d printed cornstarch things?

Wonder Bread on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's a neat idea, and vastly different from the usual urban vinyl figures that usually come out. And for a customizeable one, for it not to be based around the concept of a Lego minifig is already pretty genius.

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wonder, yeah, Animation majors use the printer to get really nice complex prints of their characters, The thing can print a dude with pretty fairy wings, I've seen it done.

Thanks for the approval, multi!

anyway, drew a more complete turn around:
    fooallangles.jpg

also, trying to decide on a logo direction:
    foologos.jpg
    I'm leaning to 9 or 9a

Iruka on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    cool design,.i'd defs buy one!

9 and 9A to me look the most friendly. (if that makes sense) i think they're the best for portraying protection.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I cant choose between the two..
    cutelogo.jpg
    simplelogo.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The ones on top look like it's coughing up cds. Or at least to my eyes it does.
    Once I realized the head also looks like an F... well, it still looks like a dog coughing up cds to me.

see317 on
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like the second one in the second row. Very cool.

nakirush on
  • Options
    MEADONEMEADONE Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Its impossible to read the first version of the design. All i see is a dog face yelling at two tires.

MEADONE on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    the first designs, while clever and well-done, look like a dog eating boobs

not a good idea for a toy.

I like how playful the logo design is, but what about mimicking Kanji a bit to reflect the japanese influence of the design of the toy itself?

The kanji symbol for "dog" is like so:

82352504v10_240x240_Front.jpg

so if you were to modify that a little by removing the "leg", it could easily become your F, and adding two feaux-kanji "o"s to the symbol, you end up with Foo. I mocked one up (really really rough with my shitty work mouse) as an example.

foo_kanji1.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Haha, okay, okay, I will not use the tire/boob/cd Eating dog as is. I guess its not readable as an F. I will mess with it, maybe, see if I cant make it clearer. The second logo is simple and successful if it doesn't work out.

Rank, as far as I know, Foo Dogs are Chinese in origin. I started to lean away from Asian-ing up the logo.... I donno why, maybe I feel like its over done. I also want this to come out as a personal desk protector, so I don't want to have people look at it like "This is from a specific culture I don't understand, and therefor doesn't belong on my desk" I want it to be more friendly.

Iruka on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    fair enough

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't think it's the dog not looking like an F (I think it does) so much as the placement of the o's. They don't read as part of the same word.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Iruka wrote: »
    Foo Dogs are Chinese in origin. I started to lean away from Asian-ing up the logo...

This is a very good idea. I think the second design is really cool, though if I were doing it, I'd make the F a little chubbier (like in sketch 13), and the Os bigger, maybe a little closer together, so it looks like they're all cuddling/huddling (reinforces the 'friendly protection' aspect).

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm finishing this up, its due soon:
    writhe2.jpg

The background (green area) isn't done yet, But everything else is getting there, so this is my last ditch for crits before my last stretch of hours to work on it.

edit: Old version for reference http://iruka.iseenothing.com/writheco.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The hands are kind of messed up. Her right hands fingers are all connecting in inconsistent places. And the for the right hand, typically the middle knuckle is the one that sticks out furthest, yet, you have the fore finger out the furthest. But that might be because you intended to it to be griping the axe less firmly, im not sure.

Im really digging the bottom half of the image, the colors are really neat, and the snakish things are cool too.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You referred to both hand as right, chief. I hear what your saying though. She is supposed to be holding the axe really loosely. The left hand (our left) Still needs refining, so I'll re articulate it. I'll be in my dorm so I'll try and camp out in front of my mirror. They will probably still be a little off for the sake of gesture.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the bandaged hand looks good, it's the other one that looks like a spider attached to her wrist. D:

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really liked this the first time it was posted, and I still do, but because you asked, some minor adjustments:
    - Her left eyelid is way too light compared to the other one.
    - Something is slightly off about the eyebrows. Not sure if her right one is angled weird or if they're both on a line that doesn't work with the face, but something about them could use reworking.
    - The hand that people are going on about (her right) has the pinkie too far to our right. You could probably have her ring finger be her pinkie. Also, that pinkie is pointing too far inwards; it should be more in line with the other fingers. Also also, the fingers on that hand just seem very spidery, as pointed out. Maybe because right now it looks like the fingers are the only part of her hand gripping the axe, and when you grip something, you use your palm as well.
    I'm not sure how to fix that exactly, but the pinkie needs to move up and straighten out.
    - I'm no expert on pants, but the jeans I'm wearing now have nowhere near as many belt loops. It's not too distracting, but I would get rid of the second from the left and the first and third on the right of the buckle. But maybe your pants have that many loops, and it's just a matter of preference anyway.

Also, be sure to post that foo dog when it's done, that's looking great. I kind of think something went missing from the head of the final in the first post and the one in the later "turn-around" image.

P.S. The head of the axe looks kinda bent now that I look at it, is that intentional?

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    writhe3.jpg
    Didnt work on the face, but I'm feeling good on the other fronts.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    How do you come up with the color palette on any given piece? To you just feel it out or do you pre plan one and sorta just wiggle around from there?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    When I'm drawing/imagining something, I usually have a certain color in mind for at least one element, and then I choose other colors to try and make that one pop. Like, I knew those bottom guys were blue when I drew them. After that I do a lot of guessing and checking, I don't use the like circles of colors to try to lay out my pallet... I just go into the color picker for every new color.

Iruka on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Solid improvements!

Im not sure the skin tones are really working, though.

Now that I look a bit closer, It might be the green in the face that is throwing it off. The arm and chest area seem to work alright.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I also thought the green reflections on the face were a little weird. Overall, this is an awesome piece. I love the little intricacies of it, and just little things about it that make me think "That's cool looking." I'm kind of in a weird mood, but I've gotten a cool vibe from this picture from the get-go. Your work is really interesting, and pretty inspiring/influencing on me.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    ZimarooskiZimarooski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This one time Iruka and I hung out and she showed up at my front door riding blue dragons, just like in the picture.

Not really.

Awesome painting! It was all done in...?

Zimarooski on
    Favicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zim, Photoshop. the only think that wasnt done in PS is the original pencils: http://iruka.iseenothing.com/writhe.jpg

Green in the face will probably stay, I will probably print this as is considering class is in two hours. Thanks for the crits guys

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Heeeeey, The toy is back, gonna start working on mock up designs. Heres one before I was done with the model:
    footemp1.jpg
    Gonna clean up these lines and work on a few from the model shape:
    3dfoo.jpg

If anyone is interested in designing their own, I can make a nice blank template for you all. I'll my first test print by monday.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love that you didn't make it the typical vinyl figure with the big head and a small body. I'm into graff / street art, so I know that thats how at least 90% of custom toys are. It looks really great, but I liked it better when the little ball was a perfect circle, now it looks kind of like a football.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Chop Logic wrote: »
    I liked it better when the little ball was a perfect circle

ani132.gif

is it that tough to make a 3D sphere? I don't know.

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I had it on the sphere at first, but making it rest perfectly under his arm as it is made it too small, and I thought 1) that more surface area connecting him to the ball would make the thing less likely to break off after printing, and that 2) I didnt mind th pill shape. When I get my test print, If I think it'd be fine as a sphere, I'll change it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    One suggestion is that you could make it a larger sphere, then make the foreleg 'sink' into the sphere a little, where it couldn't be seen looking at it from the sides. Or make the ball 'sink' into the side of the body? It'd be even less noticeable. You could then make the sphere larger and have more surface area connecting it as well.

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I may be able to just sphere it up a bit more. Moving it into his side makes him kinda look like hes hugging it... I had a few configurations before I settled on this one. I will reevaluate after I get my print.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dear Diary,

I wonder if Iruka will marry me and have my dragon babies? It won't be a stylish wedding, I can't afford a carriage, but she'll look sweet upon a seat of a bicycle built for two!

Love,
    Mr E

• Options
    edited April 2008
    The thing you really need to know is, will she forgive you for A) singing and B)mangling the lyrics of fruity, old-timey songs?

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I didn't mangle them, I reappropriated them! And if she can't take my singing then this wedding is off.

• Options
    edited April 2008
    heeey guys. Got my test print, yo. Sorry for the crappy pictures Im just excited as hell:
    wip3inch1.JPG
    wip3inch2.JPG
    wip3inch3.JPG
    wip3inch4.JPG
    wip3inch5.JPG
    wip3inch6.JPG

Also, Some mock ups. I'm Going for maybe 20 mock ups for the paint job by the end of the project:
    Darksecretfoo.jpg
    Coinfoo.jpg
    techfoo.jpg

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Looks really cool! Though I still wish you could have gone with a sphere instead of the shape you have. Having a perfect ball makes it easier to abstract, whereas with the squished shape it makes it seem like it's trying to 'be' something.

multimoog on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    something about the leg resting on the ball bugs me. It's too far too the side, maybe? It just doesn't look like a leg. More like a small tentacle.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Late crit is laaate, I cant Imagine changing the leg at this point, I really need to tackle the packaging and start planing the presentation. I actually enjoy the discus shape because you see it more when you look down on it, which you do alot because its a desk sized thing. I havent been to the lab to try and circle it up, so I'll check it out, but I kinda like it as is.

Iruka on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is very schwank. I like muchly.
    I agree with both points raised about the leg and the ball, but I can see what you mean about it looking fine from above. It's just the level front view that it looks odd.
    Any chance of making the leg more similar to the 'money' one, and maybe, just maybe, making the object a ball, even if it needs to go smaller?
    Actually, I think maybe just moving the leg right next to the body so that there is no gap might make it look more natural. Although I take it it's a bit late for adjustments?

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The money one is the same as the other two. I just painted on the profile view instead of the 3 quater-ish one.

I'd like to state that, I did do this according to my plans originally. I tried the sphere a few ways and didn't like it. I made his legs much squatter than the drawing to make him less prone to break, and so it changes the way the ball works into the design. The problem with making it smaller was that it lost a ton of presence because you basically couldn't see it from above, and being a desk designated object, you want to be able to see it from above. sinking it into his chest presents the same problem.

Its not like I did not consider it, it was only there in all my original drawings.

Iruka on