As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Movie Thread The Incredible Iron Knight is watching the Watchmen.

1565758596062»

• Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Sinestro Corps War" movie

make it happen

Hey, I wouldn't mind a whole Johns' Green Lantern trilogy.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hell, I don't even read GL (due to cash, not preference) and I'd love to see that!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure I'd enjoy a Sinestro Corps movie, just because of how much stuff they'd need to cut to make it work. Superboy Prime, Cyborg Superman, and the Antimonitor would all be cut, since they're too difficult to explain without drastically re-imagining. The Antimonitor might work as a generic antimatter "God." The battle on Earth would probably involve cutting out all the Earth-based heroes. Then you'd have to actually set up who the Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps are. Plus, they couldn't hint at any of the emotional spectrum stuff in a meaningful way, since each of the movies are supposed to be a whole, complete story. Isn't that the rationale that was given for not doing a Death of Superman trilogy/two-parter? So once you cut out Superboy Prime, Cyborg Superman, the Antimonitor, and the emotional spectrum, you're pretty much left with a bunch of shit getting blown up for forty five minutes, assuming they take fifteen to set up the story.

I'd rather see some all-new stuff, which is why I'm looking forward to the Batmanime anthology.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Munch you are a downer.

Get out of here and go back to your job of closing orphanages and then drowning puppies in front of the orphans.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd enjoy a Sinestro Corps movie, just because of how much stuff they'd need to cut to make it work. Superboy Prime, Cyborg Superman, and the Antimonitor would all be cut, since they're too difficult to explain without drastically re-imagining. The Antimonitor might work as a generic antimatter "God." The battle on Earth would probably involve cutting out all the Earth-based heroes. Then you'd have to actually set up who the Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps are. Plus, they couldn't hint at any of the emotional spectrum stuff in a meaningful way, since each of the movies are supposed to be a whole, complete story. Isn't that the rationale that was given for not doing a Death of Superman trilogy/two-parter? So once you cut out Superboy Prime, Cyborg Superman, the Antimonitor, and the emotional spectrum, you're pretty much left with a bunch of shit getting blown up for forty five minutes, assuming they take fifteen to set up the story.

I'd rather see some all-new stuff, which is why I'm looking forward to the Batmanime anthology.
    They wouldn't have to cut out the Earth-based heroes. New Frontier had Adam Strange, the Challengers and Green Arrow without explaining who they were.

It's safe to assume anyone who picks up a Green Lantern movie would know who the Justice League was.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

They wouldn't have to cut out the Earth-based heroes. New Frontier had Adam Strange, the Challengers and Green Arrow without explaining who they were.

It's safe to assume anyone who picks up a Green Lantern movie would know who the Justice League was.

Are we talking direct-to-video for geeks only movie? For a major movie, well, for starters, getting the rights to anyone would cost tons, and when it comes to mainstream viewers you can't expect them to know anyone outside of the Trinity.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Well they were talking about more movies in the vein of New Frontier so I'm assuming Direct to DVD.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's an interview with Terence Howard about his role in Iron Man, and he goes on about being War Machine (I assume 'eventually' given the context of his comments), but this one line is great in showing why press junkets make the interviewer and subject dumber. Keep in mind he was asked by Comic Book Resources.
    What attracted you to this role?

War Machine; the whole idea of being able to play a superhero, so to speak. Being able to go up in jets. The Department of Defense took me up in a P-38 and an F-16. They might let me go up in a B1. All those ideas, man, that was it for me.

In “Iron Man,” do we see the birth of the War Machine?

You read the comic book? If you read the comic book, then you kind of know what happens. But you still have to wait, because y’all aren’t taking away my next two movies. I like y’all, but, man.

But the rest is cool. I like the idea of a War Machine in a sequel. Hell, I like the idea of two sequels and I haven't even seen the movie yet.

Heh. It pays to be famous.
    What’s the coolest thing you’ve gotten to do?

One day, the 14 Freeway was blocked because there was all this wind coming down. And I had to be on set, and the set was about 20 miles away. And I knew we had the Department of Defense working with us, and there’s an Air Force base nearby. So I’m like, I’m not going to make it to work for the next two hours. So I called them and I was like, “Call the Air Force and tell them to send a helicopter for me.” I go to arrive on set with this huge-- We landed on top of a sand dune. That was the coolest thing.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    More shiny iron pictures for us to fap to.
    *edit: link is pooched. Will post pics when the high res shot get online*

Iron Man is watching you poop.
    iron-man-new1.jpg

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Bitstream wrote: »
    God I hope that scene at the end drops into super-slow-motion so a dove can fly between them. It's the only justification for yet another two-dudes-leaping-at-each-other shot.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, the director said that scene is going to be 26 minutes of Hulk/Abomination ass-kicking.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    august wrote: »
    Oh man the trophy in Hollis's apartment and the Beware of Dog sign.

august on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Take a tour of the magical world of Watchmen!
    Awesome.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The feel of Watchmen is shaping up to be really close to the book, in my opinion.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shit, that looks awesome.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I know pretty much nothing about The Spirit. But I want to know what the deal with the cats is.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've only read, like, three issues of The Spirit, but god damn that looks horrible.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's Frank Miller's The Spirit, which means it is probably going to be what The Spirit would be like if the Spirit existed in Sin City.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    fuck it, the spirit looks fun. i really dig the original, and even a lot of the non-action eisner stuff also. this is clearly going to be nothing like it which i'm cool with. this seems like it'll have a kind of rad vibe goin' on its own.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It'll be fine.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    from the pics, it looks like it'll have a 'the mask' (not with cher) or 'dick tracy' kind of look to it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Those pictures would look cool if they were for any movie other than the Spirit

But since they are not they are horrible

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ah, yes. I'd heard about those pics- apparently, they were leaked, and Lions Gate was none too happy.

Tach on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sin City 2 is set to come out around a year after The Spirit. Frank Miller fans, prepare to be polarized.

I think Miller has drawn too much attention, and his work just won't stand up under the scrutiny he's going to attract. I've already gone from love (Sin City and its adaptaion, first reading of DKR), to lukewarm enjoyment (Daredevil, Wolverine), to loathing (DKSA, 300 and its adaptation, the one he does with Jim Lee, subsequent readings of DKR). Overexposure is probably a factor too.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Da-4EZPY5pA&fmt=18

New Dark Knight viral video thing

Bloods End on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Sin City 2 is set to come out around a year after The Spirit. Frank Miller fans, prepare to be polarized.

I think Miller has drawn too much attention, and his work just won't stand up under the scrutiny he's going to attract. I've already gone from love (Sin City and its adaptaion, first reading of DKR), to lukewarm enjoyment (Daredevil, Wolverine), to loathing (DKSA, 300 and its adaptation, the one he does with Jim Lee, subsequent readings of DKR). Overexposure is probably a factor too.

I liked 300 (both the comic and the movie) but yeah, I agree basically

I look forward to Sin City 2 though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008

that was pretty bad

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I saw that earlier. While it looks pretty weird (what not with the obvious green screen and Maggie's half-assed delivery), it's still pretty cool that they got an actual cast member to participate in the viral marketing.

Speaking of which, I'm amused by the amount of people who thought that's real footage from the movie instead of something created exclusively for the viral marketing.

Aleph on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »

I'm waiting for Frank Miller's All Star Batman & Robin: The Animated Series!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, for reals this time, more shiny toys for us:

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FORUM POSTING WITH ALL THE IMAGES
    Scroll down to get to the hi-res picks (click)

BURN BABY, BURN! Click for FIRE!!!!!!
    820790116.jpg

772877579.jpg

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    's a lotta fire

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    man those spirit pictures look bad

what the hell is with the black suit

humble on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    humble wrote: »
    man those spirit pictures look bad

what the hell is with the black suit

Maybe because it's primarily green screen and blue doesn't show up to well so they are going to change the color post production?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    no i'm pretty sure it' gonna be black and red

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    ding one hundred

edit- actually that's a pretty good first post. i guess i won't lock this right now

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.