As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm aRegistered User, Disagreeable regular
edited August 2008 in Graphic Violence
Let's talk about comic book movies!!!!

Iron Man
ironmansl2.jpg
Iron Man is an upcoming 2008 superhero film based on the fictional Marvel Comics character Iron Man. The film is directed by Jon Favreau and stars Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. The film is slated for a May 2, 2008 release.
Film Website
Game Website

The Dark Knight
tdkstill09hb7.jpg
The Dark Knight is an upcoming 2008 American superhero film based on the fictional DC Comics character Batman. The film is a sequel to 2005's Batman Begins, which rebooted the Batman film series after an eight-year hiatus. Christopher Nolan returns as the director, and Christian Bale reprises the lead role. Batman's primary conflicts in the film come from his fight against the Joker (Heath Ledger) and his strained friendship with district attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart). The Dark Knight has a tentative release date of July 18, 2008 in the United States and July 25 in the United Kingdom.
Film Website
Game trailer

The Incredible Hulk
6yldl5lva7.jpg
The Incredible Hulk is a superhero film based on the Marvel comic of the same name, set for release on June 13, 2008. It is directed by Louis Leterrier and stars Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, Liv Tyler as Betty Ross, William Hurt as her father General Thaddeus Ross and Tim Roth as the villainous Emil Blonsky, known in the comics as the Abomination. The film follows Banner as he flees the pursuit of General Ross and attempts a cure to rid himself of the Hulk. But when Blonsky injects himself with Banner's gamma formula and becomes an even greater monster, Banner must accept his own inner beast and defeat Blonsky. The Incredible Hulk has a target release date of June 13, 2008.
Film Website
Game trailer

Watchmen
rorschach1lz8.jpg
Watchmen will be a 2009 film adaptation of Alan Moore's twelve-issue Hugo Award-winning comic book limited series Watchmen. The adaptation is directed by Zack Snyder who helmed 300. The film has been in "development hell" since the publication of the novel, shuffling from studios, directors and screenwriters before settling at Warner Bros. Pictures, who hired Snyder to direct. The film is scheduled to shoot in Vancouver in September 2007 for a 2009 release.
Official Website

hellboy2wv2.gif
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army is a 2008 film directed by Guillermo del Toro. The film is a sequel to the 2004 Hellboy, also directed by del Toro. Hellboy 2: The Golden Army is written by Guillermo del Toro and Mike Mignola. Universal Pictures finances and distributes the film, which has a target release date for July 11, 2008.
Official Website

white1gk9.jpg
Whiteout
Whiteout is a 2008 feature action thriller film adaptation of the 1999 comic book Whiteout by Greg Rucka and Steve Lieber and is based around U.S. marshal, Carrie Stetko (Kate Beckinsale), the only one assigned to Antarctica, who must investigate a murder on the frozen continent within three days before the dark winter begins. Stetko crosses paths with a U.N. operative (Gabriel Macht), who is also investigating the murder. The film is directed by Dominic Sena and stars Kate Beckinsale and Gabriel Macht in the lead roles. Kate Beckinsale was producer Joel Silver's first choice for the main role. Whiteout is slated to be released in October 2008.
Wikipedia article

punisherwarzonelabjj9.jpg
Punisher: War Zone
Punisher: War Zone is an upcoming action film based on the fictional vigilante and anti-hero The Punisher from the Marvel Comics Universe. The film is not a sequel, and has no relation to 2004's The Punisher, directed by Jonathan Hensleigh. Release ETA December 5, 2008.
Official film website

firstwolverinexmenorigixs5.jpg
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
X-Men Origins: Wolverine is an upcoming film based on the fictional Marvel Comics character Wolverine, due for release on May 1, 2009. The film is directed by Gavin Hood and stars Hugh Jackman as the title character. It is a prequel to the X-Men film trilogy, focusing on the mutant Wolverine and his time with Team X, before Wolverine's skeleton was bonded with the indestructible metal adamantium. The film is mostly being filmed in Australia and New Zealand.
Wikipedia article

spiritbts4thumbnailsc8ni0.jpg
The Spirit
The Spirit (also known as Will Eisner's The Spirit) is an upcoming 2009 American film adaptation based on the newspaper strip The Spirit created by Will Eisner. Frank Miller wrote and directed the film, which stars Gabriel Macht as The Spirit and Samuel L. Jackson as his nemesis, The Octopus. Filming began in October 2007, with release scheduled for January 16, 2009.
Wikipedia article

Garlic Bread on

• VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I could swear the Dark Knight was already underway when Hulk just was a twinkle in someones eye, how the hell is Hulk going to be out first?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    I could swear the Dark Knight was already underway when Hulk just was a twinkle in someones eye, how the hell is Hulk going to be out first?

Because one of them is going to be good and the other is a marvel property

Garlic Bread on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hulk does look pretty lackluster

Bloods End on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    i need a punisher still that has him in a white wifebeater

it has to fit in with the other marvel movies

Garlic Bread on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    i need a punisher still that has him in a white wifebeater

it has to fit in with the other marvel movies

holy shit

my mind is blown

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    keith, that madonna video

you jerk

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm looking forward to the Watchmen game.

Wildcat on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Do you think anyone will really go see new Hulk and new Punisher?

I think most people won't read enough into them to know that they're not sequels, and many of the ones who do but aren't comic fans still won't care.

And I won't go because Punisher looks horrible, and the Hulk franchise seems so off track that I'd rather not even give it a chance.

HadjiQuest on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    I don't think anyone remembers the other Hulk movie well enough to care about it, same with the Punisher.

Punisher wasn't going to do enough business to matter, and Hulk is a movie where a giant monster smashes the hell out of things. Hulk will do fine.

DJ Eebs on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I might use them as excuses to get together with friends who are similarly vaguely interested in seeing them, based on either the trailer or the property.

If they're good, great! If they're not so good, then we ridicule them MST3K style.

Either way, we win.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I might use them as excuses to get together with friends who are similarly vaguely interested in seeing them, based on either the trailer or the property.

If they're good, great! If they're not so good, then we ridicule them MST3K style.

Either way, we win.

Please god tell me you're not one of those people who think their comments are so funny everybody in the theatre should hear them. If you are I hate you with the passion of a million burning suns.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The new Punisher already looks better than that Tom Jane wretch from the pics alone.

Aleph on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I liked Tom Jane.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Virral wrote: »

Because one of them is going to be good and the other is a marvel property

Yeah... speaking of which, when does the next Superman come out? Nothing better then taking a nap in a nice, air conditioned theater.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited April 2008
    I liked Tom Jane.

Thank you. There was nothing inherantly wrong with that movie.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    I liked Tom Jane.

I didn't like the setting or the casting of Rebecca Romijin, but I agree that it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be.

Also, I'm debating whether or not to rent the Daredevil director's cut.

Robos A Go Go on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    This video is not available in your country.

WTF? A goddamn trailer to a goddamn game that's gonna get released here anyway?

Echo on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I liked Tom Jane.

I don't know anyone in real life who disliked it.
    It would have done MUCH better at the theater if it didn't open next to Kill Bill.

The new one D: Tom Jane refused the part because he felt the script wasn't Punisher enough. The guy is a huge Frank Castle fan but he didn't want his name attached to a Punisher movie he felt was crap.

Accualt on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I have no hope for the new Punisher movie. Hulk on the other hand I think has a good shot. Also Edward 'fucking' Norton

smokmnky on
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Yeah, I have no hope for the new Punisher movie. Hulk on the other hand I think has a good shot. Also Edward 'fucking' Norton

Yeah... never underestimate an actor as good as Norton... nor one as hot as Tyler. And hell, Tim Roth? Tim Roth is freaking awesome. While I may not be looking forward to Hulk as much as Batman, they're both going to be getting my semi-hard earned dollars.

Also, I hate those Punisher picks, because they always use an angle that makes the guy look like Stephen Segal. And no one wants that...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh I forgot about Tim Roth (how the hell did I forget that) and yes I'm not as pumped for this as say Iron Man or even Batman but it's got to be better than a lot of the other crap we are going to have thrown at us this summer.

smokmnky on
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I liked Tom Jane.

Yeah, I realised this is the general consensus among comic book fans - that Tom Jane saved the movie from being total crap. But I thought he was just as bad as Frank Castle as the setting, the plot, the dialogue and John Travolta. I don't get the animosity for the new Punisher either, from what I read of it so far, it sounds far truer to the character and the MAX series than the previous movie iteration. I mean, you can tell from the stills alone that it's inspired by Punisher MAX (discounting the costume, which looks like a gritty-fied homage of Frank's original costume).

Also, Titus Pullo man.

Aleph on
    edited April 2008
    Aleph wrote: »
    I liked Tom Jane.

Yeah, I realised this is the general consensus among comic book fans - that Tom Jane saved the movie from being total crap. But I thought he was just as bad as Frank Castle as the setting, the plot, the dialogue and John Travolta. I don't get the animosity for the new Punisher either, from what I read of it so far, it sounds far truer to the character and the MAX series than the previous movie iteration. I mean, you can tell from the stills alone that it's inspired by Punisher MAX (discounting the costume, which looks like a gritty-fied homage of Frank's original costume).

Also, Titus Pullo man.

Unless the gore is on par with Punisher MAX, it won't be Punisher MAX. Rather than being confronted with the horror justice itself must become in order to properly confront the evils of the world, we'll have a run of the mill action film featuring a symbol that looks great on merchandise.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Please god tell me you're not one of those people who think their comments are so funny everybody in the theatre should hear them. If you are I hate you with the passion of a million burning suns.

Of course not.

The average person is not intellectually equipped to understand levels of subtle satire that I'm bound to produce.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I liked Tom Jane.

I didn't like the setting or the casting of Rebecca Romijin, but I agree that it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be.

The only problem with the TJ Punisher movie was that the minute they got to any portion of the script that was ripped verbatim from a Garth Ennis Punisher issue, the movie went olol rofl lulz.

Squashua on
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

Yeah... never underestimate an actor as good as Norton...

From the previews and images, I suspect they're trying to keep it closer to the TV show, while adapting the Ang Lee Hulk design.

Squashua on
    edited April 2008
    Squashua wrote: »
    I liked Tom Jane.

The only problem with the TJ Punisher movie was that the minute they got to any portion of the script that was ripped verbatim from a Garth Ennis Punisher issue, the movie went olol rofl lulz.

Was getting Saint to kill his wife from an Ennis issue? That was ice cold.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2008
    Squashua wrote: »
    I liked Tom Jane.

Was getting Saint to kill his wife from an Ennis issue? That was ice cold.

I'm referring to the whole "The Russian" debacle.

Squashua on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought the Russian bit was handled well. The lack of dialog was probably a good thing, though originally I remember being disappointed by it. Essentially they replaced the funny talking with the funny juxtaposition of violence and friends singing opera. It kept the feeling of the comic book scene while not allowing it to feel over the top corny. Just too bad The Russian didn't die the same way as in the book.

It is just unfortunate that we will never see the rebuilt Russian vs. Spider-man in a movie.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I thought the Russian bit was handled well. The lack of dialog was probably a good thing, though originally I remember being disappointed by it. Essentially they replaced the funny talking with the funny juxtaposition of violence and friends singing opera. It kept the feeling of the comic book scene while not allowing it to feel over the top corny. Just too bad The Russian didn't die the same way as in the book.

It is just unfortunate that we will never see the rebuilt Russian vs. Spider-man in a movie.

I felt the entire scene was out of sync with the rest of the movie.

I'm not saying the scene was bad; I liked the scene (like I enjoyed it in the book). I also enjoyed the rest of the movie.

I just don't think the two combined properly.

Squashua on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I also enjoyed Punisher, and was kind of disappointed to hear it's getting the rereboot treatment as well. Uneasy, but anticipating.

Torso Boy on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I kinda wish they would have allowed Kevin Nash to speak in Punisher. Listening to him talk I can actually imagine him doing a good Russian accent.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So who is playing Jarvis in the Iron Man movie?

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited April 2008
    michael caine

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2008
    Really? Kind of weird considering he's also Alfred.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited April 2008
    he said he's gonna play this one differently

use a more sophisticated accent instead of his cockney one

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2008
    (I don't think Jarvis is in this)

((although michael caine is in basically every movie anyways))

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2008
    (I don't think Jarvis is in this)

((although michael caine is in basically every movie anyways))
    He is. In the new clip for Iron Man up in Apple.com, Tony is in the Mark II testing it out and is talking to Jarvis, even says his name.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited April 2008
    oh

well it's totally michael caine then

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2008
    He'd be a glorious Aunt May.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.