As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW] Theres a party in the Fissure of Woe and your all invited

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The April Fool's prank is fantastic. You must log on to see it! I'm not going to spoil it.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The April Fool's prank is fantastic. You must log on to see it! I'm not going to spoil it.
    Hahaha. This is awesome. ANet is the win.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There used to be quite a few people in the old PA guild. If a new GW thread was made in G&T, I wonder if the additional attention could get a few people to dust off their accounts and play a bit for old time's sake

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I log onto my ranger and she has, like, two platinum at level six.

I don't even remember getting that much cash.

In any case, a trapping build is pretty fun for mass destruction. I just need to get a decent skill configuration going, as well as a chance to capture Echo. Then the mayhem will be multiplied.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There used to be quite a few people in the old PA guild. If a new GW thread was made in G&T, I wonder if the additional attention could get a few people to dust off their accounts and play a bit for old time's sake

That sounds like a possible idea. I think I might make a thread after I finish finals though, as I'd have much more time to play.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I would be one of those people. Kinda burned out on it a year ago. Played a bit last night with an alt. Its different than Most MMO, better than most as well.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm just getting back into the game so I'd be down.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think there many remaining core members of KCHS. I'm pretty sure Perrsun still plays and of course I still play (Stealth Crusader).

I'm pretty much just working on my hall of monuments for the moment. Managed to fill out the armour and heroes sections and get to 'I'm very Important'.

Shoot me a message if you want any help

Stealthc on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, I ended up clearing the Deep in Hard Mode using one of those cookie cutter teams with W/A, SS necros, and SF eles. It took longer to organize the group than to actually beat the mission (one hour), a testament to how abandoned the place is. I got req 10 inscribable zodiac axe in the end, which I guess isn't that too bad.

We need a roster of some sort if we are going to do anything like that

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Is anyone still in KCHS that can invite? We could just salvage the old guild. I remember when the PA guild was running, but at that time I was already in an active guild. I'm solo now though, so I'd definitely join.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not sure who the current leader is on the forums. His character name is Grievous Prime. Last week I sent a PM to Resonant, who was the previous auto-selected guild leader, to see if he knew. Haven't heard back yet. I'd volunteer to at least be an officer, since I check these forums and log into the game regularly.

In addition to Grievous Prime, the remaining officers who have logged in in the last year are:
    Samuel San
    Flux Generator
    Eternity is Within (Resonant on forums)
    Diana Melandru

It would be a shame to waste what KCHS has in terms of a guild hall, history, and roster. If for no other reason than the guild hall has all the trimmings, and can be handy even for us PVE soloers.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd be down with joining a PA guild. I left my old guild cos none of them were really doing anything other than farming runs. Right now all I got is my solo guild that I made to do AB and to sport my beer mug cape.

I'm a newb to the PA forum, but I've been playing GWs for a little over 2 years now. Drop me a pm if things get going, though I'll check back here, too.

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I sometimes play GW on the Intl servers (I have the Japanese edition, unfortunately) but there's never anyone around to group with.

I've literally never grouped in GW.

<sigh>

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I sometimes play GW on the Intl servers (I have the Japanese edition, unfortunately) but there's never anyone around to group with.

I've literally never grouped in GW.

<sigh>

Does the Japanese edition not allow you to switch to other servers? You should be able to switch to North American servers or EU servers by clicking the District drop-down menu, selecting "More Options..." and then choosing your server from there.

Hopefully something will get organized here for the KCHS guild, or maybe form another PA guild. With Guild Wars 2 beta around the corner, it would be helpful to get a guild (even if small) going to establish officers, etc.

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I was pretty surprised when I was able to switch to servers from other regions. I guess they added it with the changes in Fissure of Woe/Underworld Favor
    I'm also hoping that there is one officer still alive in KCHS to help revive it

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It only lets you join the International servers. I was quite annoyed after I bought it, because the GW site mentions that you can change regions, but the Japanese version is different.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It only lets you join the International servers. I was quite annoyed after I bought it, because the GW site mentions that you can change regions, but the Japanese version is different.
    I think they might be changing that at some point, but I'm not sure. It feels like I read that somewhere. Maybe I'm imagining it. Weird that they let the Koreans play any server, but not Japanese.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Me and a few buddies are getting back in GW and we convinced a few more to buy the game, I would love to join a PA guild if we could get one made. If anyone has any details shoot me a PM or add Jay Mo to their friends list in game.

1/2 man 1/2 bear 1/2 pig on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Enig wrote: »
    I think they might be changing that at some point, but I'm not sure. It feels like I read that somewhere. Maybe I'm imagining it. Weird that they let the Koreans play any server, but not Japanese.
    Yeah, that does seem weird. I went back and checked the Asia district options and there's only Chinese and Korean. O_o

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played this game up until Sorrow's Furnace came out. I played for about 2 months after that patch hit, and we'd finished up most of the content in there. I had a W/Mo that had his Fissure Armor crafted, as wells a R/W that used to play the "Machine Gun" setup, before they nerfed that into the ground. Also had a "55-monk", back before the spawn nerfs, and all the changes they put in place for that little beauty.

So yeah, just wondering how much the game has changed since then. Looks like I missed 2 expansions while playing WoW, so I'm assuming that a LOT has changed. Biggest thing I'd like to know about is if Fissure and Underworld are still the only two "End-game" places that they've put into GW. It was always fun to run around in GW, but once you finished the storyline, got the armor and did all the quests in FoE/UW, there "really" wasn't much else to do, except roll new characters.

Wasn't a fan of the PvP. Hall of Heros was just "Whos got the best FotM team". If GW has fixed that to an extent, it might be better, but WoW sucked me up, and I never looked back.

IWAY WARRIOR LF 5 MORE +2 MINION NECROS! Oh, the memories.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Unfortunately, pvp has deteriorated even more. A good portion of the good guilds left, and most pick up groups in Hero's Ascent (new name for Tomb of the Primeval Kings), won't let you in unless if you run very specific builds (easily done due to a nifty build template system) and have a good amount of fame. If you left during the IWAY days, it's pretty much like that, except worse.
    PvE had many changes, although most are in other campaigns. Max weapons are much easier to come by due to inscriptions (which replaced the inherent damage modifiers). There are now heroes, which are essentially customizable henchmen, and while you can only have three in a party, they've pretty much eliminated all motivation to party with random players (not that there was much motivation to back then). Prices for pretty much everything (especially runes) have dropped. As far as high level areas, Factions has two 12-person elite missions (The Deep and Urgoz' Warren), Nightfall has one (Domain of Torment), and Eye of the North has one (Slaver's Exile). All these aforementioned campaigns are probably a bit more difficult than the original. Also, there is a Hard Mode available for all campaigns, which increases enemy levels, and makes them move, cast, and attack faster.

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I would consider several of the EotN dungeons end-game, though Slaver's is of course the hardest. They're also more interesting to do repeatedly, kinda like WoW instances.

EotN added a lot of "end-game" in the form of the Hall of Monuments. Basically, you can try to get accomplishments and collectibles to put into your Hall. Apart from showing off, this eventually gets you stuff in GW2. Some of it is fairly grindy, but then GW is more interesting combat-wise than most MMOs.

One of the more extreme examples is this: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Defender_of_Ascalon

I actually thought about doing that for a little while, then I came to my senses.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One of the more extreme examples is this: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Defender_of_Ascalon

I actually thought about doing that for a little while, then I came to my senses.

That is crazy, I remember playing about two months after GW's retail release and seeing a level 20 in pre-searing, thought it was a bug. And now it can net you a title? D:

I only ever finished the Prophecies main questline, I bought Factions and got about halfway through before they brought out Nightfall which for some reason killed my framerate/ping times, making it horrible to play. :(

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    a Ferreta Ferret 360 Dunk from Half Court Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I want to come back to GW, but EotN killed it for me. Think I'll hit it up during the summer. If so, I'll look some of you up. Also: KCHS nevar forget.

a Ferret on
    Battle.net Polite#1852 | 3DS 2681-0927-8518 | Steam
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    For the most part the Defender of Ascalon title was a "thank you" title to some of the long time players that, for whatever reason, continued to hang out Pre-Searing. There are still quite a lot of them, and most are there to help newbies quest and to provide info on the game.

Enig is right about some of the "regular" dungeons being pretty rough. The Ooze Pit, for one, can be horrendous if the group isn't mindful of what it's doing.

I don't really bother with PvP other than Alliance Battles, but the "niche build" has always been a problem. Eventually, another build will come along and people will demand that certain classes use that.

I somewhat disagree about heroes killing PUGs. I've had several good PUGs in EotN recently and can usually find a fun group in Factions fairly easily. Heroes can be useful when you can't find anyone good playing a specific build, (minion master, heal monk) but nothing can beat a good human player. Even my most pimped out heroes are only as good as a moderate human, except in some cases. (Norgu as a fast-cast spike healer/condition mender comes to mind)

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »

That is crazy, I remember playing about two months after GW's retail release and seeing a level 20 in pre-searing, thought it was a bug. And now it can net you a title? D:

I only ever finished the Prophecies main questline, I bought Factions and got about halfway through before they brought out Nightfall which for some reason killed my framerate/ping times, making it horrible to play. :(
    They upgraded the shaders or something like that. Nightfall hurt my frames severely as well.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    To come back to this, I found the source where I read that Japanese (and Taiwanese, apparently) districts would be linked to the rest like Korea is presently.
    Open Travel: Territory and District UI Changes 17 January 2008

As part of our goal of supporting global player interaction, we are making changes to the Territory and District user interface. As of later today, players in Korean language districts can travel between American, European, and Korean districts. Players in Japanese and Taiwanese language districts will be able to travel to the other language districts following a subsequent game update in the coming weeks. The end result is that players in any language district will be able to travel to any other language district within Guild Wars. We will continue to offer International Districts as an additional location for players to meet one another.
    That was back in January, so it should come pretty soon.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thinking about picking up Nightfall for $20 on ebay. Any thoughts as to why I should/shouldn't?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Unless it's open-box, get it.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    From reading a couple replys, it sounds like I really didn't miss too much, in the areas that made me end up quitting this game.

Guild Wars was always a beautiful game, and I'll always remember it as the game that introduced me to MMOs. I remember the good days of running around Pre-Searing (Was one of those weirdos that let a wolf kill me until it was super-high level then tamed it) and helping people get stuff done. I also remember how cool it was to solo massive amounts of mobs on my monk, as well as what the original Forge Run used to be. Oh, how I loved doing those runs.

Anyone here ever remember or run w/ Lady Blue Steel? Used to run an actual business for Forge runs, had a school set up to teach people, and even published/sold manuals to teach people how to do it.

We were so good at power-running that we could even complete those 3 desert quests that were part of the Main Storyline. Craziness.

Oblivion Unending 20 W/mo

I might drop in for GW 2, depending on when that comes out. More or less farming WoW now, and waiting on WotLK. Would be nice to jump back into something to bide my time.

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I remember Lady Blue Steel's guild used to have a school or something, where they'd teach you runs for platinum.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    TurnerTurner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I know some of you from GW from last year, where we had a pretty good run with the guild before interest let off.

I am currently in a really nice guild with a great leader, but all of the officers are either 50 years old or 14. As such, the group dynamic is something I am starting to get sick of.

We are either talking about metamucil, or how to hold hands with a girl. It is pretty pathetic.

So, if there are any other guilds out there, lemme know...

I do all PvE, and have 3 ( i think) lvl 20's. A ranger, a warrior, and a derv.

I am currently working on some EoTN stuff, farming norn and dwarf points.

Turner on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I'm looking for a guild also. Just bought Nightfall too, so I'll be getting my Derv up.

If anyone knows of any guilds, just PM me or whatever.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For the most part the Defender of Ascalon title was a "thank you" title to some of the long time players that, for whatever reason, continued to hang out Pre-Searing. There are still quite a lot of them, and most are there to help newbies quest and to provide info on the game.

While I was still playing this game I managed to get a Mesmer up to level 14 or so but man... I got tired of grinding the same Charr over and over and still getting whipped on occasion.

I heard barrage/pet groups don't work in Tombs anymore... anyone know what changed?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    fubar911fubar911 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Evalbane Kal Thar-lvl 20 Ranger. I've been playing my main for almost 2 years now. I finally got my brother to play and we have been running through the missions. I love this game. I think I have only been to FoW once. I was thinking of starting to go through some of the more elite places now. I just found Rotscale, which is crazy since I have like 80% maps on all continents.

I would be up for an alliance with a PA guild. Granted my guild only has 2 people in it (Spartoi Sons) (SS)
    I guess keep posting what you guys are up to and we can hook up some time.

fubar911 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Not really sure what the exact changes might have been. I never really played a Ranger until recently. I can solo the first 2 levels of Tombs with my A/Me on HM, but it take a while. Some of the loot can be pretty good, but for cash farming I stick with Skyward reach and Titan farming outside LA.

I'm finishing up the semester then taking a week off to visit family and friends. (and to get blotto) I'd like to get back into playing on a semi-regular basis this summer. Shoot me a PM if anyone wants to do some PvE.

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I quit GW after Nightfall...

Cons of Guildwars...
    Lack of decent endgame content...
    I can't remember how many times I did FoW, Underworld, The Deep, Urgath, DoA...
    Or how many times I did AB (The Only PvP I enjoy)

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dis wrote: »

Cons of Guildwars...
    Well really the endgame is supposed to be PvP.

What is the point of having something like WoW's raids or whatnot when it is easy to get the best gear possible? I don't think that the goal of GW is to continue doing dungeons endlessly after you have essentially beaten the game. On the other hand, the new dungeons in EotN do have somewhat more replayability than their predecessors.

That aside.. yay! 3rd birthday presents for my original characters!

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Cons of Guildwars...
    Well really the endgame is supposed to be PvP.

What is the point of having something like WoW's raids or whatnot when it is easy to get the best gear possible? I don't think that the goal of GW is to continue doing dungeons endlessly after you have essentially beaten the game. On the other hand, the new dungeons in EotN do have somewhat more replayability than their predecessors.

That aside.. yay! 3rd birthday presents for my original characters!

Yeah, I don't like the game mechanics...
    Eg. Gear, they have the same stats it's just different skins and how you need to grind like crazy or pay high prices for your perfect stats weapon of specific skins.

PvP-Wise...
    Those 8 skill limit really makes it unspiffy...
    Instead of Rock/Paper/Scissors (eg. Warrior > Ranger > Elementalist, it's more like what you choose in your 8 skills with your sub-class) Pretty much folks are all in their PvX build... Mainly AB makes your Skill Set unimportant and slightly more balance since it's 12 x 12, with 3 Teams of 4 pair up Randomly...

Let just say i don't really enjoy the game mechanics...
    Stance/Hex/Enchant/Status Affliction...

Overall Guildwars kinda feels like a BETA to me...
    After playing all 3 campaign I would only rate it 6/10...

*hopes GW2 will be alot better...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    StealthcStealthc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PvP-Wise...
    Those 8 skill limit really makes it unspiffy...
    Instead of Rock/Paper/Scissors (eg. Warrior > Ranger > Elementalist, it's more like what you choose in your 8 skills with your sub-class) Pretty much folks are all in their PvX build... Mainly AB makes your Skill Set unimportant and slightly more balance since it's 12 x 12, with 3 Teams of 4 pair up Randomly...

You have got to be kidding me.

This game is not for you.
    Eg. Gear, they have the same stats it's just different skins and how you need to grind like crazy or pay high prices for your perfect stats weapon of specific skins.

Once again its like you completely missed what the developers were trying to achieve with 'max stat gear available to everyone and hence pvp will be determined by skills rather than gear'

Stealthc on