As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    He'd be a better Spider-Man

Garlic Bread on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    (I don't think Jarvis is in this)

((although michael caine is in basically every movie anyways))
    He is. In the new clip for Iron Man up in Apple.com, Tony is in the Mark II testing it out and is talking to Jarvis, even says his name.

I think Jarvis is going to end up being an A.I program. I think in one of the gameplay video for the game you hear him talking about the armor status.

Kyougu on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ruins wrote: »
    (I don't think Jarvis is in this)

((although michael caine is in basically every movie anyways))
    He is. In the new clip for Iron Man up in Apple.com, Tony is in the Mark II testing it out and is talking to Jarvis, even says his name.

I think Jarvis is going to end up being an A.I program. I think in one of the gameplay video for the game you hear him talking about the armor status.
    That would really suck. especially if that Avengers movie ever sees the light of day.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman

That does not sound like Michael Caine.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

He's not supposed to sound like Michael Caine. He's supposed to sound like Jarvis.

It's called acting.

Robos A Go Go on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah... that makes it look like an AI. Also nerdgasm.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am reading the Iron Man novel right now, it's been pretty amazingly put together so far, I really like how they have brought the characters/world to film and also modernized it without making it horrible at all. Also all of Stark's dialogue is 100% the Stark we all know and love.

SPOILERS REGARDING JARVIS :
    He is an A.I. system, generally talks like an actual person and Tony is able to talk to him anywhere in his house and from what I can tell so far he also talks to him whilst armored up.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

He's not supposed to sound like Michael Caine. He's supposed to sound like Jarvis.

It's called acting.

ok, let me rephrase that... that is not Michael Caine's voice. Maybe he will be redubbed for the final cut? I can't find any mention on any movie news sites that he is doing the voice. But the voice in that clip on apple is not Michael Caine.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008

It's called acting.

ok, let me rephrase that... that is not Michael Caine's voice. Maybe he will be redubbed for the final cut? I can't find any mention on any movie news sites that he is doing the voice. But the voice in that clip on apple is not Michael Caine.

I don't feel like loading up the trailer again, but I'm pretty sure it was Michael Cain, albeit in a different accent.

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2008
    J.A.R.V.I.S

What does it stand for?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I get more excited for the Iron Man movie each time I watch one of the trailers, and I don't even consider myself an Iron Man fan. I have never really read anything with him in it other than MotW stuff and the occasional excerpt on scans_daily.

DouglasDanger on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    If they ever do an Avengers movie, they could just have them name their butler after Tony's computer program.

You get to name butlers, right?

DMAC on
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Let's talk about comic book movies!!!!

The Dark Knight
    tdkstill09hb7.jpg
    The Dark Knight is an upcoming 2008 American superhero film based on the fictional DC Comics character Batman. The film is a sequel to 2005's Batman Begins, which rebooted the Batman film series after an eight-year hiatus. Christopher Nolan returns as the director, and Christian Bale reprises the lead role. Batman's primary conflicts in the film come from his fight against the Joker (Heath Ledger) and his strained friendship with district attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart). The Dark Knight has a tentative release date of July 18, 2008 in the United States and July 25 in the United Kingdom.
    Film Website
    Game trailer

Curse you. I thought you had found a real Dark Knight videogame trailer.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
    edited April 2008
    At least you weren't Rick Rolled.

Robos A Go Go on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Jast wrote: »
    Curse you. I thought you had found a real Dark Knight videogame trailer.

Aha. Guess that explains why I can't see it in my heathen country. What is it?

Echo on
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A madonna song.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jast wrote: »
    A madonna song.

Madonna rolled?

Hmm... sounds hot. Take your penicillin!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait a tick... so the Punisher is Titus Pullo? And Jigsaw is Jimmy McNulty? Too bad Big Pussy isn't Microchip and Samson isn't... umm. I don't know - is there a midget Punisher villain?

Slagmire on
  • Hobbit LandHobbit Land Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JUSTICE LEAGUE!

Hobbit Land on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    If they ever do an Avengers movie, they could just have them name their butler after Tony's computer program.

You get to name butlers, right?

Better yet, a butler that worked for his father. When the Avengers meat him.
    "You...named the computer program after your fathers old butler...?"
    "Yeah. What did you think it stood for?"
    "Well I kinda thought it was an acronym."
    "What the hell would J.A.R.V.I.S. stand for?"

The Muffin Man on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Wait a tick... so the Punisher is Titus Pullo? And Jigsaw is Jimmy McNulty? Too bad Big Pussy isn't Microchip and Samson isn't... umm. I don't know - is there a midget Punisher villain?

actually yeah, frank and wolverine teamed up to take down a gang of midget mobsters that were sawing off all of the regular-sized mobster's legs.

and when i say 'teamed up' i mean 'frank shot wolverine in the balls then parked a steamroller on top of him'

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited April 2008
    That was one of the worst things I have ever read. It wasn't funny at all.

DouglasDanger on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    "What the hell would J.A.R.V.I.S. stand for?"
    Just A Really Very Intelligent System.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

i'm not sure i would say it's meant to be "ha-ha" funny per se. it definitely was in the midst of a bit of a low point in the marvel knights run

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Servo wrote: »

i'm not sure i would say it's meant to be "ha-ha" funny per se. it definitely was in the midst of a bit of a low point in the marvel knights run

Wasn't it a running "gag" that Punisher would team up with a hero and the hero looked like a completely inept fool who could barely tie his own shoes, whereas Frank was essentially the only reason the villain didn't rape and murder 94% of New York?

EDIT: Saiga I said that.

The Muffin Man on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's a pretty negative article about Incredible Hulk in the Times titled, "What’s Big and Green, and Desperate to Be a Hit All Over?"
    LOS ANGELES — Bad buzz. Creative infighting. Superhero gridlock at the multiplex. For Marvel Studios, handling gamma rays is starting to look like a cakewalk compared to turning “The Incredible Hulk” into a movie franchise.

The pisser is that there are positives, but they're buried at the end of the article.
    Mr. Fogelson said the trailer for “The Incredible Hulk” had generated more streams online than any previous Universal trailer. He also said the movie had the largest number of licensing and promotional partners of any Universal project in 2008, although he would not name any.

Universal noted that Mr. Norton’s Hulk, according to a recent poll on the ticket-selling Web site Fandango, is the fourth “most anticipated new character portrayal” of the summer. (Over all the movie ranked as the seventh “most anticipated summer 2008” movie.)

As for competition, Marvel and Universal plan to use the giddiness around “Iron Man” to their advantage. A second “Hulk” trailer will run in conjunction with “Iron Man,” and Mr. Downey will make a cameo in “Hulk” as Iron Man.

Crimsondude on
  • Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Finished reading Watchmen yesterday, it was good but I don't know how they'll translate that to film. I've seen the pictures and it looks cool so far but the costumes really don't translate well to live action. Plus I'm sure alot of movie goers will be lost at the whole bit with the
    massive conspiracy on a secret island full of prominent minds and authors that seeks to create a giant squid monster to kill half of New York with it's mind.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
    edited April 2008

When I used to bitch about Ennis's Punisher, people would say things like the "british" "black humor" wasn't for me.

DouglasDanger on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's a pretty negative article about Incredible Hulk in the Times titled, "What’s Big and Green, and Desperate to Be a Hit All Over?"
    LOS ANGELES — Bad buzz. Creative infighting. Superhero gridlock at the multiplex. For Marvel Studios, handling gamma rays is starting to look like a cakewalk compared to turning “The Incredible Hulk” into a movie franchise.

The pisser is that there are positives, but they're buried at the end of the article.
    Mr. Fogelson said the trailer for “The Incredible Hulk” had generated more streams online than any previous Universal trailer. He also said the movie had the largest number of licensing and promotional partners of any Universal project in 2008, although he would not name any.

Universal noted that Mr. Norton’s Hulk, according to a recent poll on the ticket-selling Web site Fandango, is the fourth “most anticipated new character portrayal” of the summer. (Over all the movie ranked as the seventh “most anticipated summer 2008” movie.)

As for competition, Marvel and Universal plan to use the giddiness around “Iron Man” to their advantage. A second “Hulk” trailer will run in conjunction with “Iron Man,” and Mr. Downey will make a cameo in “Hulk” as Iron Man.

Finally! Marvel broke the crossover cherry. Let the cross licensing begin!!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, it'd be fucking hilarious if all the spoilers about Abombination were just a big fake-out and that's just the first act or so, with the rest of the film is Iron Man trying to hunt down Hulk or something

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Finished reading Watchmen yesterday, it was good but I don't know how they'll translate that to film. I've seen the pictures and it looks cool so far but the costumes really don't translate well to live action. Plus I'm sure alot of movie goers will be lost at the whole bit with the
    massive conspiracy on a secret island full of prominent minds and authors that seeks to create a giant squid monster to kill half of New York with it's mind.
    Yeah, a massive, convoluted conspiracy revolving around obscure pseudo-science in a superhero movie. Audiences won't be able to handle that.

Torso Boy on
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

When I used to bitch about Ennis's Punisher, people would say things like the "british" "black humor" wasn't for me.

Ennis' Marvel Knights run didn't click with me either, but you should check out the MAX series. It's totally devoid of the silliness rampant in MK's Punisher.

Aleph on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

You know how people said V for Vendetta was about Bush when the movie came out? Yea, expect Watchmen to be painted as being a metaphor for 9/11 conspiracies.

Scooter on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

You know how people said V for Vendetta was about Bush when the movie came out? Yea, expect Watchmen to be painted as being a metaphor for 9/11 conspiracies.

Oh god. The last thing those idiots need is something else to rally around.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, a massive, convoluted conspiracy revolving around obscure pseudo-science in a superhero movie. Audiences won't be able to handle that.

Point taken.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Holy Shit, so we now know that IM is in Hulk, looks like the Nick Fury rumors are starting to seem fairly true as well. Oh god, please let us have a kick ass Avengers movie

smokmnky on
    edited April 2008

By "British black humor" they meant "Hard on for making superheroes look like complete fuckwits who've been doing this for a week. While drunk."

The Muffin Man on
    edited April 2008

Yeah. Fuck those people.

V is a metaphor for Bush with bad British accents and stereotypes.

But 9/11 conspiracy theorists are idiots, and like anything else will of course latch onto anything that reinforces their world view because that's what conspiracy theorists do.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2008

V is a metaphor for Bush with bad British accents and stereotypes.

yeah

what with being written 20 years before Bush was elected into office

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2008
    You're a fucking idiot.

Crimsondude on
This discussion has been closed.