As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 4/9/2008 - CRIMINAL Vol 2 #2 owns your ass, hard

jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid?NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Graphic Violence
Well done, Bru, Phillips, and Val Staples - the Teeg Lawless story was worth the wait.
Narrator wrote:
Eventually, he'll learn to hate them for that.

But it'll take a few years.

Honorable mentions to BOOSTER GOLD and FX #2.

tOkYVT2.jpg
jkylefulton on

• smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Can someone explain something to me about JSA
    I have no idea who those two are that show up at the end. I've never read Kingdom Come (outside of a novelization of the story). I figure the guy in green armor is Green Lantern, is that Hal? Also I have no idea who the all guy black smoke monster guy is.

smokmnky on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A risk, self admits. What do you know? It worked.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2008
    So Terry Moore's Echo, he sure likes to draw women in their underwear doesn't he?

smokmnky on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, JSA
    I swear if Johns just killed Sandy I will throttle him. Fucker never even had a chance to get a decent story with his new costume and stuff. Also was that regular Green Lantern at the end of the book or did KC GL just come out of nowhere?

Sars_Boy on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    I have no idea who those two are that show up at the end. I've never read Kingdom Come (outside of a novelization of the story). I figure the guy in green armor is Green Lantern, is that Hal? Also I have no idea who the all guy black smoke monster guy is.
    The KC Green Lantern is Alan Scott, IIRC.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The guy in the green armor is Green Lantern, looking just how he looked in Kingdom Come. It's Alan Scott Green Lantern, too. The guy in black is his son, Obsidian, who's been in JSA a little bit this run. If you remember, he had a conversation with Kingdom Come Superman when he was first brought to the headquarters.

kcgl.gif

edit: Beaten! But I'm pretty sure about the other guy.

JoeUser on
    edited April 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The guy in the green armor is Green Lantern, looking just how he looked in Kingdom Come. It's Alan Scott Green Lantern, too. The guy in black is his son, Obsidian, who's been in JSA a little bit this run. If you remember, he had a conversation with Kingdom Come Superman when he was first brought to the headquarters.

kcgl.gif
    Ah right I remember Superman talking to "blackness" but I had no idea who that was.

Thanks Joe

smokmnky on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One thing that's always bugged me about (Sorta-JSA)
    The KC Green Lantern is why he names his Magic Green Space Island "New Oa" if it's supposed to be Alan Scott. It don't make no sense.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »

kcgl.gif
    Ah right I remember Superman talking to "blackness" but I had no idea who that was.

Thanks Joe

Glad to help! Though I really do recommend picking up Kingdom Come in graphic novel form, as it's just really pretty in addition to a great story. Plus, in DC Nation this week ...
    Kingdom Come sequel coming!

About that character, you can see him in the big double page spread, to the right of Dr. Mid-Nite.

JoeUser on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Army of Darkness with Xena comic was pretty good I thought. The beginning made me laugh.
    The Mininomicon!! :lol:

And of course Nova.
    They are going to bring the pain to the Phallanx now

And then Spiderman.
    That blood god dude looks badass and I wasn't expecting that Rabin was bad.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    A risk, self admits. What do you know? It worked.

Read that one in the food court.
    I'll have to grab A:C #6 just because fuck you for not finishing a damn story in a series.
    But it'll be worth it.

Kick-Ass #2 was also good, as was Punisher MAX.

Me Too! on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JSA was pretty awesome.
    Gog busting out of nowhere and wrecking shit was totally unexpected for me. I'm going to be totally bummed if Sandman got offed. He doesn't get hardly any attention.

Countdown
    Giant Jimmy was pretty cool. The book overall was pretty lackluster.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited April 2008
    Hey you know what rocks?
    Grabbing the third Punisher trade simply because that was the earliest one they had that I was missing.
    Turns out, that's the one that sets up the backstory for the current arc.
    So happy

EDIT: Jesus Christ, Fury whipping one of the generals with his belt in this trade is my moment of the month.

Me Too! on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    NEXT: Someone gets beat up.

Bad.

Loved it.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JSA final page image spoilers, for the curious:
    jsa014br2.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited April 2008
    I don't read JSA, so I just want to ask two things.
    1. Alan Scott is the JSA Lantern, right?
    Who's the black cloud dude?

Me Too! on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anti-Moment of the Week, courtesy of Titans.
    06-1.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The fact that Starfire has elaborate internal monologues justifying going around naked is kind of funny to me. Even if it's stupid.

Darth Nat on
    edited April 2008
    Man, what the hell. The second panel is just ridiculous. Couldn't they find some clever way of not showing it without resorting to the "Oh I'll shade this region black for no reason other than to censor" technique.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited April 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    I don't read JSA, so I just want to ask two things.
    1. Alan Scott is the JSA Lantern, right?
    Who's the black cloud dude?
    Obsidian, Alan Scott(GA GL)'s son

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand how Judd Winnick keeps getting high profile assignments. Those TITANS pages are horrible.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    picture2zn0.png

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2008
    I don't see the appeal.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My MotW was looking at my comic shops advanced Marvel books for next week and glancing through Incredible Hercules and the end of Warbound. My God they were both awesome. For this week I'll pick Sonic the Hedgehog #187, yes I admit I read the series and ever since Ian Flynn started writing the book it's been routinely great. The only thing I didn't like about it was Tracy Yardley! didn't do the interiors.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand how Judd Winnick keeps getting high profile assignments. Those TITANS pages are horrible.

Winick seems like an example of a mediocre-to-bad writer that has become really entrenched in DC to the point where they just seem to let him do whatever.

Darth Nat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Think that's bad? Observe his Green Arrow/Black Canary.
    Hahaha! Oh Ollie, you're so funny as you're interrogating the men who shot your son and turned him into a brain-dead vegetable. LOLZ!

Seriously, this is some weak-ass webcomic humor level shit. OLD LADY, FAT CLOWN, SHEEP, LEATHER, HARRRRRRRHARR!

Has any book ever wasted as many talented artists as Green Arrow/Black Canary? Cliff Chiang, Amanda Conner, and now Mike Norton. Fucking Christ.

Munch on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, that was one of the worst scenes I have ever read in comics. And I have read all of Countdown.

I will be happy when someone else takes over the writing for that series. I love the characters but the writing is not great and occasionally has moments like the travesty above.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    i want them to bring arrowette into GA/BC, if only for a little bit

like maybe have her mom die (she smokes, you can use lung cancer, Winick!) and have her pop in to tell GA and find out if he's really her father and all

maybe have a little rivalry with speedy

Garlic Bread on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »

Fuck you, Munch.

I'm dumber now for having read that.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »

Fuck you, Munch.

I'm dumber now for having read that.

Dumber? I tend to think a crash course in creative solutions would have the opposite effect. Think outside the box!

Robos A Go Go on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think this issue has been the best Spider-Man since BND started. And Fantastic Four was pretty good as well.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I read most of Planet Hulk yesterday, so that would be my moment of the week.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    I think this issue has been the best Spider-Man since BND started. And Fantastic Four was pretty good as well.

And yet we STILL haven't gone an issue without "LOL WEBBING DONT WERK"
    And Peter being an out-of-character dick, which was strangely absent last issue.

The Muffin Man on
  • TankTank Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wild Dog appearing in Booster Gold made me chuckle. Who at DC thought it would be awesome to make a comic book about a dime store version of the Punisher who looks like he shops for his gear at Wal-mart?o_O

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What do you guys think about Doktor Sleepless? I've been gung-ho about it when it started out, and figured it just needed some time to hit its stride, but after reading yesterday's issue I just...I don't know, I'm not sure if I care anymore. I can't even pinpoint why I'm not feeling it (maybe that not too much has happened so far?). When Ellis was talking about it before issue #1 came out, it sounded a lot like it would be Transmetropolitan 2, which would be fine with me, since I love Transmet. But, that's not actually what it turned out to be.

Also, there was this whole thing about how the Doktor was this cartoon persona that John adopted in order to say true, scary things without having people dismiss him (because the truth sounds less threatening when coming from a caricature). Am I the only one who hasn't really seen anything of this cartoony persona? I feel like all I see in the issues is John being bugfuck crazy, and talking about his secret plans with the Nurse.

Also also - and here I'm just going for base insults - the comics smell funny. I think it's the ink. None of the other comics I've ever bought have ever smelled bad, but man, I had yesterday's issue in the same bag as a graphic novel, and when I took that out to read it, it smelled bad from being in the same bag.

Delduwath on
    edited April 2008
    Ruins wrote: »

And yet we STILL haven't gone an issue without "LOL WEBBING DONT WERK"
    And Peter being an out-of-character dick, which was strangely absent last issue.

I honestly didn't even notice that this was a reiteration of the "webbing doesn't work" gag because the explanation for why was original, made sense, and showcased the character's often ignored scientific prowess.

And when was Peter a dick? He let a homeless man keep his coat, then stuffed his costume with newspaper!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Countdown?
    2wn6zp2.jpg

Synthetic Orange on
    edited April 2008
    Whap!

Whap!

Whap!

Seriously though, that's an awful series.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm definitely going to skip Doktor Sleepless from now on. I mean, I love Ellis and all, but I'm more than a little tired of his style of writing. There doesn't seem to be anything distinctive about Doktor, from the story to the message.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anti-MotW: Titans Together, Starfire's retarded inner monologue by a mile. It was really the "this peculiarity seems to be mostly in the United States hurrrrr" comment that was the crowning retarded moment of a retarded scene. Winick, this may come as a shock but there are actually a whole fuck ton of countries that have issues with public nudity. Fucking shocking I know

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787