As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 4/9/2008 - CRIMINAL Vol 2 #2 owns your ass, hard

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cross-posted from the general purpose CRIMINAL thread, but it has relevance:

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=1719

Week-long Q&A with Brubaker at Ellis' WHITECHAPEL site. Check it out and participate!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Anti-MotW: Titans Together, Starfire's retarded inner monologue by a mile. It was really the "this peculiarity seems to be mostly in the United States hurrrrr" comment that was the crowning retarded moment of a retarded scene. Winick, this may come as a shock but there are actually a whole fuck ton of countries that have issues with public nudity. Fucking shocking I know

America is a pretty big prude when it comes to sex, considering the huge preoccupation with it. Europe hates violence and allows nudity in magazines and television. America allows brain smearing violene, but shuns even the slightest forms of nudity, like an ass shot for example. Considering Starfire only lived in America, to my knowledge, her comments make no sense for her to say, but it doesn't make it wrong either.

Now, this doesn't apply to giant, orange, big breasted women walking around naked either. But the comment holds up generally speaking. The actual monologue she was having was still brutal, though.

KVW on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe we should give space royalty a diplomatic exemption?

Wildcat on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anti-MotW: Titans Together, Starfire's retarded inner monologue by a mile. It was really the "this peculiarity seems to be mostly in the United States hurrrrr" comment that was the crowning retarded moment of a retarded scene. Winick, this may come as a shock but there are actually a whole fuck ton of countries that have issues with public nudity. Fucking shocking I know

I cringed at that part. Really, really dumb. I liked the idea of where the series is going, with them fighting off an old enemy or whatever, and I'm interested to read about characters that I don't know much about. I'm a bad comics nerd though :(

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    I think this issue has been the best Spider-Man since BND started. And Fantastic Four was pretty good as well.

And yet we STILL haven't gone an issue without "LOL WEBBING DONT WERK"
    And Peter being an out-of-character dick, which was strangely absent last issue.

I didn't think we had that problem last week with the webbing.
    At least this time, it's not "Shit it's broken," it's "whoops, good idea before but it doesn't work oh well."

Me Too! on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KVW wrote: »

America is a pretty big prude when it comes to sex, considering the huge preoccupation with it. Europe hates violence and allows nudity in magazines and television. America allows brain smearing violene, but shuns even the slightest forms of nudity, like an ass shot for example. Considering Starfire only lived in America, to my knowledge, her comments make no sense for her to say, but it doesn't make it wrong either.

Now, this doesn't apply to giant, orange, big breasted women walking around naked either. But the comment holds up generally speaking. The actual monologue she was having was still brutal, though.

Firstly: USA+Europe=/=Entire World. What about south east Asia where 60% of the worlds Muslims reside? How do they feel about such things being in public magazines and television? What about South America?

Secondly: Really? ALL of Europe? Every one of the 50 countries therein?

To say the comment "generally holds up" is well, a generalization of horrific proportions that I see no reason why we should accept off the cuff.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Superman gets his powers from the sun too, but you never see him sunbathing nude with a shadow over his copious junk.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Superman gets his powers from the sun too, but you never see him sunbathing nude with a shadow over his copious junk.

it's a damn shame, too

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, am I alone in feeling kind of "meh" on Booster Gold this week? It's like, there's all this stuff in place that should make me care about it (Blue Beetle, JLI teases, expanding on Max's motivations) but it's falling kind of flat for me. It's well written enough, but none of the Blue and Gold interaction has the magic of the Giffen/DeMatteis days, Max is still a one note villain, and it feels like the book's been running in circles for the past two issues. It's kind of the way I feel about Iron Fist's current arc. Yeah it's good, but it should be great, and I just want them to hurry up and get to the point.

Munch on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey
    Only three more weeks until Iron Fist gets goddamn amazing.
    Also only three weeks until the first Dresden Files comic comes out.

Me Too! on
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    So, am I alone in feeling kind of "meh" on Booster Gold this week? It's like, there's all this stuff in place that should make me care about it (Blue Beetle, JLI teases, expanding on Max's motivations) but it's falling kind of flat for me. It's well written enough, but none of the Blue and Gold interaction has the magic of the Giffen/DeMatteis days, Max is still a one note villain, and it feels like the book's been running in circles for the past two issues. It's kind of the way I feel about Iron Fist's current arc. Yeah it's good, but it should be great, and I just want them to hurry up and get to the point.

As fun as it is to see an obscure character like Mad Dog, I don't see why they couldn't have just replaced last issue's ending with this issue's ending.

And yeah, it'd be nice if somebody bothered to give Max some depth, though I suppose it's pointless to do so now.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mugginns wrote: »

I cringed at that part. Really, really dumb. I liked the idea of where the series is going, with them fighting off an old enemy or whatever, and I'm interested to read about characters that I don't know much about. I'm a bad comics nerd though :(
    It really only continues to remind me that Eddie is a godsdamned idiot, as he has literally the exact same problem Raven had, and yet is all "Oh noes! Titans can't deal with this!"

Fencingsax on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Last page of Fantastic Four was cliche, but pretty good.

Even though the issue as a whole made no fucking sense at all.

Why is Spider-Man fighting alongside SHIELD? How did the random robot beat Sentry? Why couldn't Iron Man just take the robot down with his magic nanotech?

deadonthestreet on
    edited April 2008
    One of the columnists at CBR makes a good point:
    Sadly, the stupidest comic of the week is "Fantastic Four" #556, in which a vaguely explained robot (the previous issue said it was "as ruthless as it needs to be" or something ... even Nemesis Kid had limitations) takes on The Sentry, Iron Man, Hercules, most of the Avengers, some X-Men ... almost forty heroes in all. It isn't obliterated in the first five seconds. Seriously. The Sentry. Mister "Throw That Problem Into The Sun." A man with the "power of one million exploding suns." Facing off with a robot built by Reed's college crush on her off weekends. So let's get this right, for the record. This idiot thing can take on the Sentry (with the likes of Herc and Iron Man's 80-ton-lifting armor as backup) and Batman's weekend project can eat a planet full of gods. Is that what we're to believe, now? Off the planet, all of you -- you're screwing it up for the rest of the bipeds!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cbr is stealing my complaints

deadonthestreet on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    the buy pile guy is so dumb

i didn't read that little bit

but he always has the worst opinions

Garlic Bread on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    well I guess wizard named titans #1 as their book of the week?

one of the comments on it was
    “For a new reader, it sets up a good mystery, there’s monsters attacking all the Titans, Starfire’s completely naked! That’s hot. Then this monster comes up out of the water to attack here! That’s crazy!”

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2008

“For a new reader, it sets up a good mystery, there’s monsters attacking all the Titans, Starfire’s completely naked! That’s hot. Then this monster comes up out of the water to attack here! That’s crazy!”

paris hilton writes for wizard?

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    the buy pile guy is so dumb

i didn't read that little bit

but he always has the worst opinions

Yeah, he's got the comic book column market covered when it comes to pretention and douchebagness.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Really, I don't care about how accurate or inaccurate it is, I just feel like the comment was totally unnecessary. It doesn't add anything to the scene, and it just seems like Winick is trying to add in one of his own political/societal commentaries for no good reason.

Darth Nat on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Darth Nat wrote: »

Really, I don't care about how accurate or inaccurate it is, I just feel like the comment was totally unnecessary. It doesn't add anything to the scene, and it just seems like Winick is trying to add in one of his own political/societal commentaries for no good reason.

Winnick soapboxing with the subtlety of a sledgehammer?

nooooooooooooo

I am shocked

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    About FF #556, I completely agree with the illogic of some freakin Cap robot taking down like 35 super-powers all at once, especially Tony and the Sentry. The art wasn't even quite up to Hitchs standards either.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One of the columnists at CBR makes a good point:
    Sadly, the stupidest comic of the week is "Fantastic Four" #556, in which a vaguely explained robot (the previous issue said it was "as ruthless as it needs to be" or something ... even Nemesis Kid had limitations) takes on The Sentry, Iron Man, Hercules, most of the Avengers, some X-Men ... almost forty heroes in all. It isn't obliterated in the first five seconds. Seriously. The Sentry. Mister "Throw That Problem Into The Sun." A man with the "power of one million exploding suns." Facing off with a robot built by Reed's college crush on her off weekends. So let's get this right, for the record. This idiot thing can take on the Sentry (with the likes of Herc and Iron Man's 80-ton-lifting armor as backup) and Batman's weekend project can eat a planet full of gods. Is that what we're to believe, now? Off the planet, all of you -- you're screwing it up for the rest of the bipeds!
    So he's complaining over a drawing of the sentry?

Because i mean, he was like on of 40 heroes strewn out on the ground

just a little tiny drawing

if that seriously ruined the story for you then get the fuck out and drop the book

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    About FF #556, I completely agree with the illogic of some freakin Cap robot taking down like 35 super-powers all at once, especially Tony and the Sentry. The art wasn't even quite up to Hitchs standards either.
    how dare he use a momentous event to drive the plot of the story and show the reader how serious of a threat this is

how dare he detract from our knowledge of the Marvel Super Heroes

they should've just all swept in and took out the cap robot because that would've been a much better story

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    If the robot got the drop on them thats one thing but the way the scene was drawn it looked like they all attacked at once and got repelled.

wirehead26 on
    edited April 2008
    so what?

the point was that the robot beat them

that's it

it's not even a major fucking plot point or anything jesus christ i don't get you people sometimes

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2008
    Nobody complained when this happened in Damage Control less than a month ago.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2008
    martian manhunter could beat sentry and thor at the same time

Garlic Bread on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited April 2008

yeah but that would mean people read damage control

sars you are being pretty much an idiot

Whippy on
    edited April 2008
    it just bothers me that that bothers people

i'm sorry whippy :(

Sars_Boy on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    martian manhunter could beat sentry and thor at the same time

at a cookie eating contest

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Let he who is without nerd rage light the first flame.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2008
    Technically if Sue Storm went all out she could kill pretty much anyone she wanted.

wirehead26 on
    edited April 2008
    But then you wouldn't have opportunites for random characters to have pages and pages of them saying "Oh God".

Riveting.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Screw Reed Richards, just summon the Crysler building to beat down the cap. He is the third biggest building in Manhattan you know...

Dreamon on
    edited April 2008
    BECAUSE I'M HUGE

Sars_Boy on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Wizard. For when Maxim's sensibilities are too sophisticated.

They might if anyone read it.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2008
    They might if anyone read it.

Which is a shame because the book was awesome.

wirehead26 on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah... big news flash here but there is more to this planet than the USA and Europe mate. And while the USA might be a single country, to write off the entire European Union with one quick generalization comes across as fucking ignorant.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »

I think part of the problem is the pacing between Blue and Gold's story against Rip and his guests, and then throw in the "look how evil and sinister we are without explaining much of anything" reminds me of how disjointed 52 was at one point. We can hope they pull it all together next issue and something meaningful actually happens. Unless it's Ted dying, in which case hell with it.

EDIT OH GOD THE TYPOS!

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png