As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Primaries: Democralypse Now!

• Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have a question for you guys-

I know that my choice in what I want to do (diplomacy) was chosen before the primaries had started, but I have still gotten far more interested in American politics than I was when I was a kid (and I was an activist when I was a kid. I guess it's just a 14 year old thing to decide to be an anarcho-communist who hates wars and America [said while wearing a Red Son T-shirt]). Has anyone actually decided that, because of the interesting nature of this Election cycle, you'd want to get into a Polisci related subject?

Personally, I don't think I would have gotten much out of a major in poli sci. Ive taken some poli sci classes for gen eds, and electives, and they were good, but I didn't see myself gaining all that much from spending most of my 4 years on it. Going into school it was actually what I wanted to do . . . and after taking some of them I decided against it.

I settled on Economics (with a specialization in finance) and I've probably learned far more about the world and grown personally doing that than I would have if I had gone the poli sci route. Although the finance classes Ive taken just made me feel bad for anyone who did b-school for undergrad.

geckahn on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Gee, imagine, the guy with the least name-recognition had to miss more votes due to campaigning.

I know I'm shocked.

It's actually surprising, he only missed more votes in the one quarter before Clinton actually started really campaigning on like, a Trail. And even then he only hit some slow ramp up of 20%.

It doesn't seem like his record in the senate is at all abnormal, so I'm not sure what people would be whining about him missing. I'd like to know for accuracy's sake what the major votes he missed were. IIRC he missed a telecomm bill that I think only Dodd or Biden voted on?

The whining about him missing votes stems from his time in Illinois legislature, where they have a third option in addition to "Yea" and "Nay," that being "Present." It's apparently used strategically, although I don't know the details, and he had used it on a number of high profile bills. Couple that with Clinton bringing it up in a debate in a rather negative light, and you've got a talking point.

Oh yeah, we've got that as well and it's rare.

Do you or anyone have a preferred link to info on his Illinois record?

Ethan:
    I'm already into the political/government arena, completely unrelated to this election cycle. I guess it wouldn't have changed me much because I've already settled on a career path and was already interested in state politics.

Certainly, this is getting me to pay attention to the federal level, which I normally avoid like the plague.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If they run this video nationally, it will kill McCain on national security. I love it.

Hoz on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ouch

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Barack Obama will be down in my part of the world tomorrow, but I may have to skip it b/c of work. :(
    Obama's Bloomington visit still a mystery
    By James Boyd 331-4307 | jboyd@heraldt.com
    April 9, 2008

Will he or won’t he?
    Whether or not Sen. Barack Obama will be in Bloomington Friday is anyone’s guess.
    Late today, an Obama campaign spokeswoman said there was no Monroe County stop planned for the Democratic presidential candidate, despite the fact that he’ll be traveling between neighboring Columbus and Terre Haute that day.
    “As of now, there are no scheduled stops in Bloomington,” Gannet Tseggai said.
    The rumor mill picked up speed Tuesday when members of the U.S. Secret Service met with several local law enforcement agencies about the potential for an Obama visit.
    As Tseggai noted, though, the campaign is almost always on the lookout for potential stops and the logistics involved in getting Obama there.
    The junior senator from Illinois is scheduled to be in Columbus Friday morning, and make his way over to Terre Haute later that night for a town hall rally.
    His program in Columbus is scheduled to begin at 11:30 a.m. The night town hall rally in Terre Haute doesn’t start until 8:15 p.m.
    That leaves a solid window of time if Obama wanted to be the first 2008 presidential candidate to visit Bloomington, which happens to conveniently be located between the two cities.
    And, Obama has been known to make unannounced stops on the campaign trail. On March 31, Obama reportedly made a surprise visit to the Reading, Pa., campaign headquarters as well as a local diner for an order of fries.
    If Obama were to make a stop here, he’d have a built-in college audience waiting for his arrival. The women’s Little 500 gets going at around 3:15 p.m. that afternoon. The race doesn’t begin until 4 p.m., which would give someone a few minutes to talk in front of the all-important youth voters.
    Law enforcement personnel who met with the Secret Service said they were told the candidates’ traveling plans change almost hourly.
    While there are no definitive plans set for Obama to arrive on Friday, the possibility of an appearance hasn’t been ruled out, either.
    Obama is traveling much of Indiana by bus beginning Thursday.
    Also on Friday, Obama’s opponent in the Democratic race, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, is dispatching a team of farmers from her home state to Bloomington to talk about Clinton’s agricultural stances. No details as to a time or place for that event have been announced yet, either.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Clinton gets 3 supers today. Though it escapes me why.

They're from states she won, so...I guess there's that.

One of them is replacing a previous superdelegate of hers who died, so there's also that.

But the former mayor of Pittsburgh is a superdelegate? That's kind of scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

Savant on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So my friend is in her American Presidency class and she IM's me saying that Obama Girl is there, and how ridiculous it is, and how she can't take the class seriously anymore. Like, Obama Girl should not be speaking at college classes. My friend says she is quite dumb.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    If they run this video nationally, it will kill McCain on national security. I love it.

Ah, that was really good. Although I don't think McCain's press pass will be in danger until the Democratic Nomination process is over.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I doubt there are very many intelligent models. She didn't even bother to vote in the Primary...

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So my friend is in her American Presidency class and she IM's me saying that Obama Girl is there, and how ridiculous it is, and how she can't take the class seriously anymore. Like, Obama Girl should not be speaking at college classes. My friend says she is quite dumb.

This doesn't surprise me in the least, and the teacher should never have come up with that idea. Hoy.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

This doesn't surprise me in the least, and the teacher should never have come up with that idea. Hoy.

Fuck that, she's really hot. I fully embrace bringing her to any and every class imaginable.

Duki on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Duki wrote: »

Fuck that, she's really hot. I fully embrace bringing her to any and every class imaginable.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Republican view of education! :P

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I know I'm shocked.

moniker on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Fuck that, she's really hot. I fully embrace ...her ..ass

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    THE OBAMA GIRL IS A WHORE! THAT'S HOW OBAMA'S CAMPAIGN GOT STARTED! HE PUT HIS NAME ON A BIG PAIR OF D'S! DOUBLE D'S!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    THE OBAMA GIRL IS A WHORE! THAT'S HOW OBAMA'S CAMPAIGN GOT STARTED! HE PUT HIS NAME ON A BIG PAIR OF D'S! DOUBLE D'S!

To be fair, that's a hella effective way of advertising.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey, anyone from the Seattle-Tacoma-north-of-Portland area want to make the journey down there for the border state campaign for the weekends of the 18th and 25th?

You'll have to find your own places to stay, but I have room for three other people (with Hacksaw potentially claiming one of those slots) in my car, and I'm pretty sure I'll be headed down those Fridays, after work.

Also, if you live in that area, and are interested in working for the campaign, I'm gonna see if I can get us teamed up together, so let me know.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »

To be fair, that's a hella effective way of advertising.

Worked for Hooters.

moniker on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, the Republican view of education! :P

:^:, bum.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Huckabee, the republican presidential candidate who managed to have the least amount of money donated to him in the primary, is starting a PAC to help republicans in November. I tremble in fear.

Hoz on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Huckabee, the republican presidential candidate who managed to have the least amount of money donated to him in the primary, is starting a PAC to help republicans in November. I tremble in fear.

I seem to recall him doing rather well in terms of small donors/Internet fundraising. Ie, the area which every other Republican candidate sucked in.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    He raised less than Chris Dodd.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I just turned in 16 voter registration forms to the Greensboro Obama office.

The Friendly Center was a goldmine.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/trailhead/archive/2008/04/10/the-superdelegate-wall.aspx

There's a whole article, but the most important I thought was this part.
    Slate wrote:
    Say Clinton wins all the remaining contests by a 10-point margin. (That's impossible, barring revelations that Obama does lines on the campaign bus, but bear with us.) Obama would still be ahead in pledged delegates, 1671 to 1563. Add on their current superdelegate tallies—226 for Obama and 251 for Clinton, according to Politico—and they’d be at 1897 and 1814, respectively. Even then, Clinton would need to win 211 of the still-uncommitted 300 delegates, or about 70 percent.

This is worth restating: Even if Hillary Clinton wins every single one of the remaining contests by 10 points, she still needs to win 70 percent of the remaining uncommitted superdelegates. Given that since Feb. 5, Obama has netted 69 superdelegates and Clinton has lost a net of five, it’s fair to say the pendulum is not swinging her way (although she did get a whopping two superdelegates today).

A caveat: Superdelegates are by definition not pledged. Those who have committed can change their minds. If Clinton wins the remaining contests by big margins, surely some Obama supers would swing her way. But they would still have to grapple with the fact that Obama will have won the pledged delegate count. (A fact that's also likely to swing some Clinton supers over to Obama.)

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    We need to chill about this. If she's already lost, as people say she has, then there's nothing to worry about. McCain is not going anywhere but nowhere in the polls, even with a divided Democratic primary.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    True. I'll say, then, that I'm a neurotic and want people to make sense and if it's so obvious Clinton will lose, which it is, why the fuck hasn't she dropped out yet. I mean, god, quit already.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We need to chill about this. If she's already lost, as people say she has, then there's nothing to worry about. McCain is not going anywhere but nowhere in the polls, even with a divided Democratic primary.

Still, Obama would be higher if the entire Democratic party was behind him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    She hasn't dropped out because she knows it's going to be a brokered convention. Unless Obama manages to convince enough of Hillary's Superdelegates to switch to him beforehand, neither of them WILL win before August. At that point, it's anybody's ballgame.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, my main thing it's not when he wins but how he wins. I want the perception to be of a fair win. My problem with Hillary's campaign is that it's trying to undermine that.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    She hasn't dropped out because she knows it's going to be a brokered convention. Unless Obama manages to convince enough of Hillary's Superdelegates to switch to him beforehand, neither of them WILL win before August. At that point, it's anybody's ballgame.

It's only anybody's ballgame if you ignore the likely outcome of a brokered convention.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    She's dead, and this is from somebody who was still confident through the length of the 2004 AL pennant (and I was right)!

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

Oh no, a sense of humor!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of McCain...
    "When Senator John McCain was asked here this afternoon how he plans to balance the budget, he said that he hoped to do so by stimulating economic growth - and approvingly cited the example of President Ronald Reagan," the New York Times reports.

"There was one thing he did not mention during his response: the deficit nearly tripled during the Reagan presidency, partly due to tax cuts and increases in military spending."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of McCain...
    "When Senator John McCain was asked here this afternoon how he plans to balance the budget, he said that he hoped to do so by stimulating economic growth - and approvingly cited the example of President Ronald Reagan," the New York Times reports.

"There was one thing he did not mention during his response: the deficit nearly tripled during the Reagan presidency, partly due to tax cuts and increases in military spending."

There's a link there to this:

GOP Moderates concerned McCain is Under Sway of Neocons
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/10/gop-moderates-concerned-m_n_96025.html

Duh, ya think?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Dear Friend,

Thanks to your incredible support, we are airing ads across Pennsylvania. I wanted to share one very special ad you helped us get on the air. You'll see a new side of Hillary that you might not have known about before.

Click here to watch our new ad, "Scranton."

This ad and others like it are up thanks to you. The race is close, but I know we are going to win because of what you have done for Hillary. Your support makes the difference every single day, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all you do.

Sincerely,
    Terry McAuliffe
    Terry McAuliffe
    Chairman, Hillary Clinton for President

I watched it, I can't unwatch it, so you have to watch it too.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was really hoping it'd be a bad Office parody

Well sorta

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of McCain...

Which is precisely the sort of crap Obama could be calling Mccain on at this very minute but noooooooooo!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Dear Friend,

Thanks to your incredible support, we are airing ads across Pennsylvania. I wanted to share one very special ad you helped us get on the air. You'll see a new side of Hillary that you might not have known about before.

Click here to watch our new ad, "Scranton."

This ad and others like it are up thanks to you. The race is close, but I know we are going to win because of what you have done for Hillary. Your support makes the difference every single day, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all you do.

Sincerely,
    Terry McAuliffe
    Terry McAuliffe
    Chairman, Hillary Clinton for President

I watched it, I can't unwatch it, so you have to watch it too.

I went the University of Scranton, I was there for Parade Day (so was Hill) despite how incredibly popular she is there, there was quite alot of Obama flyers and placards too. I was surprised.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of McCain...

Are Republicans ever going to realize that Reagan was not the living incarnation of God?

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.