As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MotW 4/9/2008 - CRIMINAL Vol 2 #2 owns your ass, hard

13»

• ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dreamon wrote: »
    Screw Reed Richards, just summon the Crysler building to beat down the cap. He is the third biggest building in Manhattan you know...

Did the Chrysler Building actually become sentient and beat up the Avengers in the Aftersmash Damage Control mini? Or is this just a running forum joke I'm not in on? I think even Grant Morrison might even find that idea to be a bit too crazy.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dreamon wrote: »
    Screw Reed Richards, just summon the Crysler building to beat down the cap. He is the third biggest building in Manhattan you know...

Did the Chrysler Building actually become sentient and beat up the Avengers in the Aftersmash Damage Control mini? Or is this just a running forum joke I'm not in on? I think even Grant Morrison might even find that idea to be a bit too crazy.

We're not that funny.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Neither is the writer.

Crimsondude on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    For this week I'll pick Sonic the Hedgehog #187

Goddammit, I knew I missed one! I was too overjoyed at finding back issues of Booster Gold to remember.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Moment of the Week: Not buying Titans #1.

I mean, I flipped through it.

And then put it back.

Because sweet christ.

Furu on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looking back at Sonic again the new artist just isn't as good as Yardley. You can tell the artist tries to emulate Yardleys look but just doesn't quite get it right, especially on the faces. As long as Flynn is still writing I'll read it.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There is a Sonic the Hedgehog comic? With 187 issues?!? Christ...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yep, under Archie comics. To be quite honest it wasn't very good till 2006 when the previously mentioned Ian Flynn and Tracy Yardley started the write and draw it respectively.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Did anyone else pick up Batman: Death Mask? I enjoyed it but the writer didn't quite get the feel of Bruce. The art is a pretty nice, fresh, take on Batman and it makes me really excited for Gotham Knight. I just wish the story revolved around traditional Batman rogues rather than some new killer.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And that led to the horror that was Gonterman, bless him.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I remember him with a certain amount of amusement. You've gotta love somone whose story title can be acronymed to SMAK!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Superman gets his powers from the sun too, but you never see him sunbathing nude with a shadow over his copious junk.

it's a damn shame, too

They don't call him Super for nothing. Yuk Yuk

Algertman on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Algertman wrote: »
    Superman gets his powers from the sun too, but you never see him sunbathing nude with a shadow over his copious junk.

it's a damn shame, too

Keep in mind Lois calls him "Smallville".

The Muffin Man on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    Algertman wrote: »

it's a damn shame, too

Keep in mind Lois calls him "Smallville".

I think it's one of those ironic names, like a huge biker named "Tiny"

DJ Eebs on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    What do you guys think about Doktor Sleepless? I've been gung-ho about it when it started out, and figured it just needed some time to hit its stride, but after reading yesterday's issue I just...I don't know, I'm not sure if I care anymore. I can't even pinpoint why I'm not feeling it (maybe that not too much has happened so far?). When Ellis was talking about it before issue #1 came out, it sounded a lot like it would be Transmetropolitan 2, which would be fine with me, since I love Transmet. But, that's not actually what it turned out to be.

Also, there was this whole thing about how the Doktor was this cartoon persona that John adopted in order to say true, scary things without having people dismiss him (because the truth sounds less threatening when coming from a caricature). Am I the only one who hasn't really seen anything of this cartoony persona? I feel like all I see in the issues is John being bugfuck crazy, and talking about his secret plans with the Nurse.

Also also - and here I'm just going for base insults - the comics smell funny. I think it's the ink. None of the other comics I've ever bought have ever smelled bad, but man, I had yesterday's issue in the same bag as a graphic novel, and when I took that out to read it, it smelled bad from being in the same bag.

The effect of his cartoon mad scientist persona was shown in the latest issue, during the scene with Sing and That Guy in the bookshop. When she tries to point out all the crazy shit that's been happening since the Doktor showed up he just dismisses it out-of-hand because to him he's just a crazy guy on the radio.

Honestly, the only thing that's ruining Doktor Sleepless at the moment is it's slow-as-fuck schedule. Apparently when the second arc starts in july their going for a more regular one, but I'm not overly optimistic.

I have not noticed a smell problem but I do not make a habit of sniffing my issues.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The effect of his cartoon mad scientist persona was shown in the latest issue, during the scene with Sing and That Guy in the bookshop. When she tries to point out all the crazy shit that's been happening since the Doktor showed up he just dismisses it out-of-hand because to him he's just a crazy guy on the radio.

Yeah, but I'm saying is that I don't think I've ever really seen him be a cartoon character on the radio. I've seen him go off on a rant on the radio a few times (which didn't seem "cartoony", it was more preachy. Which I guess is what Ellis meant when he said "cartoony"?), and I've seen people react to him being a cartoon, but I haven't actually seen him be a cartoon.
    I have not noticed a smell problem but I do not make a habit of sniffing my issues.

1) Am I the only one who enjoys the smell of fresh ink? I mean, I know I'm weird, but have you never - upon opening a booster for a CCG (provided you've ever bought a booster for a CCG) - inhaled the sweet aroma emanating from the cards? It's like pure, concentrated nerdiness. It gets in there and activates all the geek receptors in your brain without you even being aware of it.

Ahem.

2) Seriously, I didn't even need to sniff it. I was standing on the very crowded subway when I was reading it, and the smell of it cleanly cut through the complicated bouquet of smells that is the New York subway.

Delduwath on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You might want to re-evaluate exactly who is selling you your comics.

PantheraOnca on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think Avatar are well-known for using a particularly pungent type of ink at times, aren't they?

Wildcat on