As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Primaries: Democralypse Now!

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Speaking of McCain...
    "When Senator John McCain was asked here this afternoon how he plans to balance the budget, he said that he hoped to do so by stimulating economic growth - and approvingly cited the example of President Ronald Reagan," the New York Times reports.

"There was one thing he did not mention during his response: the deficit nearly tripled during the Reagan presidency, partly due to tax cuts and increases in military spending."
    Are Republicans ever going to realize that Reagan was not the living incarnation of God?
    I want to know where that idea came from, and beat the guy who came up with it.

Fencingsax on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Probably the same dickhead who decided Bill Clinton was a liberal savior

nexuscrawler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Speaking of McCain...
    "When Senator John McCain was asked here this afternoon how he plans to balance the budget, he said that he hoped to do so by stimulating economic growth - and approvingly cited the example of President Ronald Reagan," the New York Times reports.

"There was one thing he did not mention during his response: the deficit nearly tripled during the Reagan presidency, partly due to tax cuts and increases in military spending."
    Are Republicans ever going to realize that Reagan was not the living incarnation of God?

Who else is going to be their figurehead? Bush? Nixon?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The "warmonger" thing has unexpected legs. McCain is obviously setting up for a dirty campaign, because he's smoked if they stay civil, and desperately trying to find his way to a place where it's Obama's fault that things went ugly.

I don't really blame him for trying. Well, yes, I do, but I can't say that I'm actually surprised. Is it so much to ask that we not get caught up in being so PC that my teeth fall out from fake sweetness?

Dracomicron on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008

At least Clinton did a good job.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

At least Clinton did a good job.

Or at least an OK job. He didn't botch it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited April 2008
    The "warmonger" thing has unexpected legs. McCain is obviously setting up for a dirty campaign, because he's smoked if they stay civil, and desperately trying to find his way to a place where it's Obama's fault that things went ugly.

I don't really blame him for trying. Well, yes, I do, but I can't say that I'm actually surprised. Is it so much to ask that we not get caught up in being so PC that my teeth fall out from fake sweetness?

Obama should just say "Senator McCain has asked me to further apologize for the actions of someone who supports me. Well, I have one work for McCain: Hagee."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of McCain...

Abraham Lincoln ?

Nah to ethical.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Obama should just say "Senator McCain has asked me to further apologize for the actions of someone who supports me. Well, I have one work for McCain: Hagee."
    That is a great idea. Obama should attack his pastor.

Hoz on
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of McCain...

Abraham Lincoln ?

Nah to ethical.

And too liberal. I mean, just look at some of the stuff he said about the know-nothings. Dobbs would despise him.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Hoz wrote: »

That is a great idea. Obama should attack his pastor.

Not his pastor, his supporter, who McCain went to great lengths to get.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    It's not Gay America. It's not Straight America. It's the United States of America. And it's fabulous.

Obama takes The Advocate to task for expecting him to treat them differently than other Americans.
    I don't think it's fair to say silence on gay issues. The gay press may feel like I'm not giving them enough love. But basically, all press feels that way at all times. Obviously, when you've got limited amount of time, you've got so many outlets. We tend not to do a whole bunch of specialized press. We try to do general press for a general readership.

But I haven't been silent on gay issues. What's happened is, I speak oftentimes to gay issues to a public general audience. When I spoke at Ebenezer Church for King Day, I talked about the need to get over the homophobia in the African-American community, when I deliver my stump speeches routinely I talk about the way that antigay sentiment is used to divide the country and distract us from issues that we need to be working on, and I include gay constituencies as people that should be treated with full honor and respect as part of the American family.

So I actually have been much more vocal on gay issues to general audiences than any other presidential candidate probably in history. What I probably haven't done as much as the press would like is to put out as many specialized interviews. But that has more to do with our focus on general press than it does on ... I promise you the African-American press says the same thing.

I bet they felt a little silly after this:
    I guess my point would be that the fact that I'm raising issues accordant to the LGBT community in a general audience rather than just treating you like a special interest that is sort of off in its own little box -- that, I think, is more indicative of my commitment. Because ultimately what that shows is that I'm not afraid to advocate on your behalf outside of church, so to speak. It's easy to preach to the choir; what I think is harder is to speak to a broader audience about why these issues are important to all Americans.

So Obama is going to repeal DOMA and DADT and suddenly makes you realize that all the nice things that Hillary Clinton said about your community were at specialized rallies that straight people ignored and had almost no impact on whether your gender and sexual identity was accepted by the public at large.

Gay vote get?

Dracomicron on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why, oh why do I read the comments?

Thanatos on
    edited April 2008

Not his pastor, his supporter, who McCain went to great lengths to get.
    The distinction is irrelevant. He's a religious figure.

Anyway, about McCain launching a negative campaign, he's the one who has everything to lose. The only reason he's holding on is because people like him, his likability rating being higher than Obama's. If that goes down, he is royally fucked. Trust me, he doesn't want this general election to turn negative.

Hoz on
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Why, oh why do I read the comments?

Because you hate yourself.
    Does no one remember when Obama talked at LOGO's forum last year where he equated gay rights to civil rights?

Yea... wait, what?
    After reading Obama's interview, it sounds that he does not want to deal with LGBT issues. He wants to leave it up to the people to deal with them. He did not give clear answer to any issue. He is only interested African-American issues and not LGBT issues. I believe having Hillary in office would do the LGBT community more justice because a woman's best friend is a gay man and vice versa. Although, that isn't true with all gay men, as my best friends are straight men. I wouldn't give Obama a chance. I would vote republican if Obama was the only democrat on the ticket.

Oh.

Dracomicron on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Hey, anyone from the Seattle-Tacoma-north-of-Portland area want to make the journey down there for the border state campaign for the weekends of the 18th and 25th?

You'll have to find your own places to stay, but I have room for three other people (with Hacksaw potentially claiming one of those slots) in my car, and I'm pretty sure I'll be headed down those Fridays, after work.

Also, if you live in that area, and are interested in working for the campaign, I'm gonna see if I can get us teamed up together, so let me know.

I'm up for it. I was thinking about taking a four-day weekend that week anyway, and volunteering. I'm only about 30 minutes south of Portland.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why did you have to post that. It's like Youtube comments. I can feel my brain cells giving up on life in despair.

shryke on
    edited April 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Why did you have to post that. It's like Youtube comments. I can feel my brain cells giving up on life in despair.

It's your own fault, in the end, for not caring enough about gay people. If you cared about gay people more, the comments wouldn't hurt as much.
    Currently, the ONLY presidential candidate who fully supports equal rights for all, including gay marriage, is RALPH NADER! We need to stop voting for candidates on the "lesser of 2 evils" basis & "compromising" on our core issues... especially our ''inalienable rights as humans!'

Dracomicron on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of McCain...

It's probably because of this:
    800px-ElectoralCollege1984-Large.png

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, the days of electoral charts like that are over. The USA will never see anything like that ever again, thanks to the blogosphere and the 24 hour news cycle. It's too easy for ignorant people to confirm their ignorance with others.

Delzhand on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Man, the days of electoral charts like that are over. The USA will never see anything like that ever again, thanks to the blogosphere and the 24 hour news cycle. It's too easy for ignorant people to confirm their ignorance with others.

Are you suggesting that Reagan getting a mandate like that was a good thing?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited April 2008
    I wasn't alive back then to witness what Mondale did to fuck it up so bad, anybody care to enlighten me?

Hoz on
    edited April 2008
    I wasn't alive back then to witness what Mondale did to fuck it up so bad, anybody care to enlighten me?

He didn't fuck up, Reagan was just outragiously popular. He made Americans feel good to be Americans, and that was enough for normal, everyday assholes to vote against their economic interests.

Dracomicron on
    edited April 2008

He didn't give handjobs to people's patriotism.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    He said he'd raise taxes.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

He didn't give handjobs to people's patriotism.

The part where he pledged to jack up taxes didn't help much, either.

Edit: Beat'd.

Grombar on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Dear Friend,

Thanks to your incredible support, we are airing ads across Pennsylvania. I wanted to share one very special ad you helped us get on the air. You'll see a new side of Hillary that you might not have known about before.

Click here to watch our new ad, "Scranton."

This ad and others like it are up thanks to you. The race is close, but I know we are going to win because of what you have done for Hillary. Your support makes the difference every single day, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all you do.

Sincerely,
    Terry McAuliffe
    Terry McAuliffe
    Chairman, Hillary Clinton for President

I watched it, I can't unwatch it, so you have to watch it too.
    Goddamn it.

I kept waiting for the little girl running around to get sniped.

SithDrummer on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

No, I mean that partisanship has so paralyzed the nation that I think we're doomed to 50%+1 (elections|lawmaking) for the foreseeable future. People are so eager to toe the party line that no matter how good a candidate's policies are or how amazing s/he makes people feel, the days of people reaching across the aisle are over.

Delzhand on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God damnit.

Rasing taxes isn't always a bad thing.

I hate people.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited April 2008
    God damnit.

Rasing taxes isn't always a bad thing.

I hate people.
    ALWAYS BAD

RON PAUL REVOLUTION

SithDrummer on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is not 4chan.

I will kill you, Sith.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited April 2008
    Pfft, Ron Paul will just raise me from the grave. What then, unbeliever?

SithDrummer on
    edited April 2008

I'll kill you again and rape your corpse.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited April 2008

And Ron Paul will provide the lube. What's your point?

SithDrummer on
    edited April 2008

And Ron Paul will provide the lube. What's your point?

I get to have sex with a corpse!

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited April 2008

No, I mean that partisanship has so paralyzed the nation that I think we're doomed to 50%+1 (elections|lawmaking) for the foreseeable future. People are so eager to toe the party line that no matter how good a candidate's policies are or how amazing s/he makes people feel, the days of people reaching across the aisle are over.

...intense partisan differences between the two major American political parties are a good thing. They allow voters to make clear choices and decrease the power of lobbyists and deal-brokers.

What's so good about reaching across the aisle? Reagan "reached across the aisle" (or at least, convinced a bunch of dupes to cross over to his side), had a mandate, and did a pretty shit job.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, and there are still opportunities to lead the whole nation in one drastic direction. See: Bush

Hoz on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

...intense partisan differences between the two major American political parties are a good thing. They allow voters to make clear choices and decrease the power of lobbyists and deal-brokers.

What's so good about reaching across the aisle? Reagan "reached across the aisle" (or at least, convinced a bunch of dupes to cross over to his side), had a mandate, and did a pretty shit job.

I think that can be somewhat attributed to misusing power, rather than the power itself being a corrupting influence. Reaching across the aisle to get something done isn't something that lawmakers should carefully reserve lest they accidentally get a mandate. However, when you have a mandate the people should at least pay a bit of attention and remove that mandate when all you do is wank on it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As for Hillary's continued presence in the race, I'm sure this video would sum up the general feeling out there, even if it's nearly 20 years old.

RMS Oceanic on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fuck y'all, Reagan was the greatest president since FDR.

In the TIME magazine sense of the word and in the actual sense of the word.

Bunch of pipe smoking hippies.

Edit: Raised on peanuckle and the American Dream? Ahahahahaha.

Oh good fuck are all your political ads like this?

Duki on
This discussion has been closed.