As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gates pulls same tricks?

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/12/21/iraq.troops.ap/index.html

Does the whole thing seem incredibly staged to anyone else? It seems that nobody brought up actual concerns, and just agreed with whatever Bush policy is currently being pushed.

Doc on

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Doc wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/12/21/iraq.troops.ap/index.html

Does the whole thing seem incredibly staged to anyone else? It seems that nobody brought up actual concerns, and just agreed with whatever Bush policy is currently being pushed.

Not only is it almost certainly staged, it's also irrelevant. I mean, it's admirable that soldiers take their jobs seriously enough that they want to "succeed" at a doomed venture, but
    1) They're not exactly in a great place to provide perspective for larger policymaking
    and
    2) being asked by the President's guys in front of news cameras hardly puts them in a position to advance alternatives.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This just gets a giant :roll: from me. Seriously, it's a photo op, nothing more.

Honestly, I think the president is asking for more troops in the hopes that Congress will say "no." Then, when the war fails, he can say "if only Congress had given me more troops, we would have won."

Also, Gates is proving to be a huge disappointment.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Meet the new boss. It's the same as the old boss...

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Yeah it's not a huge surprise that Bush would nominate a yes-man to help staff his cabinet. And I've always held that the root of the huge wartime fuckups was not really Rumsfeld at all. He just fronted for the policy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Yeah it's not a huge surprise that Bush would nominate a yes-man to help staff his cabinet. And I've always held that the root of the huge wartime fuckups was not really Rumsfeld at all. He just fronted for the policy.

It wasn't Rumsfeld by himself. Other people signed on to the PNAC too, but he was definitely a proponent of unnecessary war. He just wasn't the only proponent.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, you're not going to get any real opinions from the dumbass Joes they hand-selected to be at the conference. Here's how it works:

The prez says he wants Gates to attend a pow-wow with the soldiers to find out what's "really" going on and notifies key personnell at the top of the chain of command.

These Generals/Colonels/Majors/Captains/Lieutenants (in that order) are all extremely career-minded and don't want to look foolish, so they put out a mandate to the lower echelons to pick out the "most squared away soldiers" for said pow-wow.

Generally speaking, anybody who's considered to be extremely "squared away" is someone who actually believes in what the military's doing. While that's not bad in itself, it means that the other 80% of the soldiers don't get to voice their opinions because they only gave a voice to the "teacher's pet" soldier, so to speak.

We all saw what happened when the soldiers drilled Rumsfeld about the insufficient gear and they'll be goddamned if they're going to let that happen again.

It was a photo op. Plain and simple.

Locust76 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are these people even trying to look convincing anymore? It used to be dumbness masked by misinformation now it's just dumbness being used to mask dumbness.

nexuscrawler on