As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAoC] While we wait for WAR[56k]

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have no idea what Frontier Leveling is. Should I not be doing quests in and around the main town in Midgard?

There are mobs to kill in the Frontiers. They give 2x xp and 2x gold I believe. Also, I believe if you are in the Alliance controlling a nearby Keep, you get even more xp. And if the mobs have a camp bonus, there's even more xp.

At lower lvls, quests are probably quicker xp. But at some point, it's probably quicker to just grind mobs in a group. Quests also give items, which can be good too.

I'm curious when mobs start dropping Random items. I haven't seen any in the newbie area yet. But I imagine that might be a limitation of the newbie area.

Selner on
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    With the trial version do I even have access to Frontiers?

Murphy on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Murphy wrote: »
    With the trial version do I even have access to Frontiers?

Yep, but the Frontiers are open pvp. A RR10 LVL 50 Vampire will walk up to you and one shot you in the groin. You're better off farming xp in the Battle Grounds where the people killing you will be within 5 levels or finding a nice little Aurulite dungeon and farming there cause you'll need the little crystals to pay for your constantly degrading gear from leveling so fast.

Morskittar just leave your PC on during the day. The update file for Catacombs was around 450mb. Make sure you download the three files for Catacombs too, and not just update Shrouded Isles. The files are 1.7gigs.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    Obviously it's going to take some time to pick up the nuances of all of this.

Murphy on
    edited April 2008
    You're better off farming xp in the Battle Grounds where the people killing you will be within 5 levels

And if you actually some some evil Albs or Hibs, you'll get RPs. RPs will give you realm skill points to buy additional skills from your trainer. Some of those skills are crazy helpful for PvE and leveling, in addition to being basically required for RvR.

Selner on
  • MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For the people in Demon's Breach - yes you will find a few people who permanently stay there and are templated. When I run into people like that I just go level elsewhere. It only takes an hour or two to hit 10 anyway.

For battlegrounds - Thidranki (20-24, RP cap 1L4) is very busy and usually zergy. There are some classes here (BONEDANCERS!) which are crazily overpowered and don't balance out better until higher levels, so try not to judge class balance by what you see in Thid.

Molvik (35-39, RP cap 2L9) is always alive with action. It changes around a lot between keep sieges, zergs vs zerg, and roaming groups, but there are always stealthers around so don't wander around alone unless you're comfortable getting jumped.

Cathal Valley (45-49, RP cap 4L9) - Not always a lot of action, but it really is a solo'ers paradise. Most people respect 1v1 fights and there are often duels set up at the crossroads in the center.

Hills of Claret (10-14), Killaloe (15-19), Braemar (25-29), Leirvik (40-44) - Action is sporadic, most of the time it will be dead, you might find a few opponents and a few realm mates, occasionally it will get much busier and you'll find a decent fight but I wouldn't plan on staying in any of these BGs.

If you find you like a certain battleground and want to stay there, make sure you /xp off, and /rp off when you hit the limits listed above. You can exceed these limits but you will be removed from the battleground when you die and release, or when you log off.

For people just levelling, do whatever you have fun doing. The best experience will be found in RvR areas (frontiers, battlegrounds, RvR dungeons) but if you find a nice spot somewhere, stay there. Sure there 'might' be a better place to level, but by the time you find it you'd've been better off staying at the original nice spot. And the experience difference isn't huge between classic/SI zones (1.5x) and RvR zones (2x).

For gear, you get a free weapon and chest piece from your trainer every 5 levels (5,10,15,20,25) and other than that I usually go with crafted or aurulite gear. Both rely on having a higher level crafter or farmer though. If someone high level can run aurulite instances they can easily outfit 3-4 people for Thidranki in less than an hour. I don't think I have any characters in Mid on the account I'm playing now but I will check and see if I can help out.

Good luck people.

Morturus on
    edited April 2008
    If you're in the old zones is it better to grind or to quest for exp?

Murphy on
    edited April 2008
    For the people in Demon's Breach - yes you will find a few people who permanently stay there and are templated. When I run into people like that I just go level elsewhere. It only takes an hour or two to hit 10 anyway.

Doh, the Breach is capped at lvl 9? I guess I won't be doing that quest in there then :) .
    If you're in the old zones is it better to grind or to quest for exp?

I haven't played in a while, but I think this depends on how far you have to go for the quest. DAoC loves to send you to the far side of the map for quests. If the quest area is close by the quest NPC, then do the quests.

But if appropriate level mobs are really far away, then you may want to kill mobs.

And if you can get in a group, they can probably get xp faster than grinding solo.

Selner on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I prefer grinding on this game than I do any other MMO, it's odd. I also found out my friend was doing those catacomb instances and I shunned him. Those things are so lame. I'd much rather explore and enjoy the world, not just the instance.

urahonky on
    edited April 2008
    I was exploring the world earlier. There was no one there, and all the mobs gave camp bonuses. So I think that's what I'll stick to for exp.

The quests on the outside world suck so far. Run here, do this, get a shitty reward for it.

Murphy on
    edited April 2008
    Doh, my Rune Master hit 35 and I went to the BG to find some XP and I got zerged hard. Then a mid group Zerged the hibs. Then of course on que alb stealthers kill me in the middle of CK :(

Oddjob187 on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish WAR was a 3 way battle. I just enjoy it more, especially those moments when the Hib's and Mid's mutual hatred for all things Albion creates an unspoken ceasefire that lasts until every Albion in the zone has been put down like the dogs they are.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I wish WAR was a 3 way battle. I just enjoy it more, especially those moments when the Hib's and Mid's mutual hatred for all things Albion creates an unspoken ceasefire that lasts until every Albion in the zone has been put down like the dogs they are.

HAHA I love that crap! Having all three realms in a free for all is fun as hell. But when it's just Mid vs Hib... And the Albs show up, we end up trucing and going for the Albs. So awesome working with an enemy realm to take down some bitches.

urahonky on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

I dunno if there's anything in the Warhammer universe that's as hateable. Even High Elves have their redeeming qualities.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Man. I wish I weren't playing this game for the sake of my backlog in console games. This is why I didn't want to play an MMO! Bah..

Still... Can't wait to go home and play. :P

urahonky on
    edited April 2008
    I seem to be getting pretty bad framerate (well... not horrible, but noticable sometimes). Worse than LotR on High settings. Is this just an effect of Dark Age being an older game? Any tricks to increase it when it doesn't appear to be taxing the system at all?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wonder if high elves will cause fear in greenskins like they use to in WFB.

I finally got daoc downloaded and patched.

My charcters as follows, still need invites didn't see anyone on lastnight when I made them.

Yathrin: Valkarye
    Snorii: Thane

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I seem to be getting pretty bad framerate (well... not horrible, but noticable sometimes). Worse than LotR on High settings. Is this just an effect of Dark Age being an older game? Any tricks to increase it when it doesn't appear to be taxing the system at all?

What are your computer Specs?

urahonky on
    edited April 2008
    I went to the BG to find some XP and I got zerged hard. Then a mid group Zerged the hibs. Then of course on que alb stealthers kill me in the middle of CK

This is DAoC in a nutshell. Every night will be a variation of that most likely :) .

You go somewhere, get zerged. Then zerg back. Then at some point you get PA'd and CD'd by a stealther.
    They need to make a "no stealth" server. That would honestly be the most fun server ever.
    At the very least, stealth should use endurance :) .
    wish WAR was a 3 way battle. I just enjoy it more, especially those moments when the Hib's and Mid's mutual hatred for all things Albion creates an unspoken ceasefire that lasts until every Albion in the zone has been put down like the dogs they are

My most memorable nights in DAoC were those times in the area in front of the AMG in Emain (back in OF). Albs coming out of their milegate, Mids coming from the north and Hibs coming the south.
    That resulted in an all out brawl in the field in front of that gate.

The Hibs got the short end of the stick there though, as it'd take them forever to walk back after dying. Whereas Albs and Mids could port back at least 2x as fast.

Selner on
    edited April 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Athlon 64 3500 2.2ghz
    2gb (333, iirc) RAM
    6800 GS/XT 256 - OC'd a bit
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Aging, but handles LotR like a champ (High settings with little slowdown).

Also, despite the obvious age, this game is really fun.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Athlon 64 3500 2.2ghz
    2gb (333, iirc) RAM
    6800 GS/XT 256 - OC'd a bit
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Aging, but handles LotR like a champ (High settings with little slowdown).

Also, despite the obvious age, this game is really fun.

If you want, go under options at the character selection menu and choose player models and set them all to classic. They are lower poly, but I don't think it really matters all that much. Another thing that bogs the system down is shadows, turn off dynamic shadows. Really though, it's Windows Vista. It learns how to preload textures and stuff the more you play. My experiences with SL at first in Vista Home on my laptop flat sucked and was stuck at 5fps. Now actually it has risen to about 10 or so. Still not great, but it is a laptop with integrated graphics.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited April 2008
    Damn you Morskittar and your 64bit! Must be nice being able to effectively use more then 3.5 gigs of ram.

Oddjob187 on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm playing on integrated graphics (Intel x3100), and it was complete ass at first. It would run really well in instances and dungeons, and I'd get 5 fps in open areas. It's getting better, I can actually see a running animation, and not just the "Gumby slide" when I'm running around.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited April 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    Damn you Morskittar and your 64bit! IT WILL BE be nice being able to effectively use more then 3.5 gigs of ram WHEN YOU UPGRADE YOUR MACHINE FOR WAR.

Yeah, it'll be awesome.

I think I'm just being overly sensitive to frames; turning the settings down does nothing, so it's not a power/hardware problem. I'm just spoiled by modern MMOs and their effecient use of client resources.

Doesn't mean it's not fun.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I was in the Demon's Breach or whatever the hell that was just doing a quest, and a Saracen with a flaming sword came out of nowhere and took me down with one hit. And then he did it again when I came back later.

Isn't it crazy? If he was there, that means he was < level 10. So he spend couple hundred gold to get that sword just to gank people in that area.

Well actually that doesn't mean he was templated at all. Don't your class trainers give you fancy firey weapons just for the hell of it every 5 levels? I know they gave my scout a firey weapon at level 5, so he was probably just using his level 5 reward weapon. There's no sense in equipping purple weapons in DAoC, so I doubt he spent a fortune on it.

Fiatil on
    edited April 2008
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah, I was in the Demon's Breach or whatever the hell that was just doing a quest, and a Saracen with a flaming sword came out of nowhere and took me down with one hit. And then he did it again when I came back later.

Isn't it crazy? If he was there, that means he was < level 10. So he spend couple hundred gold to get that sword just to gank people in that area.

Well actually that doesn't mean he was templated at all. Don't your class trainers give you fancy firey weapons just for the hell of it every 5 levels? I know they gave my scout a firey weapon at level 5, so he was probably just using his level 5 reward weapon. There's no sense in equipping purple weapons in DAoC, so I doubt he spent a fortune on it.

No, some times you get weapons that might be a different colour, but not glowys I dont think.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    I didn't get to play my new hunter, Squiqerder, very much at all. The Archery stuff is completely different from when I had a Hunter in the past. I have so many damn archery skills now it is just absurd.
    I really hope I get the chance to hunker down and play this weekend. I'm looking forward to fiddlying with m Hunter some more.

Accualt on
    edited April 2008
    Hey Lucky, can you throw my Thane on the OP: Goatrider.

I probably won't be on 'till Sunday though, I have some drinking to do and baseball to watch the next few days.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Oh, player list in the OP. Lets see.

Diavalos - 30 Skald
    NuckNuck - 35 Rune Master
    Trollzilla - 25 Bone dancer
    Meowpants - 8 Thane

are all me.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    Hah, Meowpants.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Hah, Meowpants.

Totally a Thane RP name.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    I didn't get to play my new hunter, Squiqerder, very much at all. The Archery stuff is completely different from when I had a Hunter in the past. I have so many damn archery skills now it is just absurd.
    I really hope I get the chance to hunker down and play this weekend. I'm looking forward to fiddlying with m Hunter some more.

At first I HATED the Hunter, but once I remembered you can have 3 quickbars it made it much easier. 2 for all the archery skills and 1 for melee.

urahonky on
    edited April 2008
    Oh, player list in the OP. Lets see

Oh yeah, my character is:
    Seldron - lvl10 Spiritmaster.

At least I think that's what I named him. It's "Sel"-something :) .

Selner on
    edited April 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    Oh, player list in the OP. Lets see

Oh yeah, my character is:
    Seldron - lvl10 Spiritmaster.

At least I think that's what I named him. It's "Sel"-something :) .

Whaaaa?!?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Yeah it's Seldron I think.

OH my chars:

Dromli - level 11 Hunter
    Elerrus - level 12 Thane

urahonky on
    edited April 2008

At first I HATED the Hunter, but once I remembered you can have 3 quickbars it made it much easier. 2 for all the archery skills and 1 for melee.

Yeah, you get 3 quickbars and...is it 8 or 10 rows to flip through in each QB?
    Regardless I think I'll make it so that QB1 is Archery, 2 is Melee, 3 is pets and then have 1-1 be like blunt, 1-2 piercing, etc. That way I can switch easily based on what type of mob I'm fighting.

Accualt on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

No, some times you get weapons that might be a different colour, but not glowys I dont think.

They glow as well. Thane's get a nice dark blue weapon with white glowy effect, also a cold proc. Your trainer-weapons really make it so that you will never need to hunt for a weapon really.

Last Son on
    edited April 2008
    Last Son wrote: »

They glow as well. Thane's get a nice dark blue weapon with white glowy effect, also a cold proc. Your trainer-weapons really make it so that you will never need to hunt for a weapon really.

My axe is blue but doesn't glow. :(

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    My axe is blue but doesn't glow.

Yeah, my staff is blue as well but there's no particle effect on it.

And oddly enough, the staff is white at the char select screen.

Speaking of graphic glitches, is everyone else seeing strange purple textures all over Glenlock Sound? or is that just me?

Selner on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah it's Pink on my screen. But it doesn't happen outside of Glenlock. Weird.

urahonky on