As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Console Freeplay in 08'?

Wedge*AntillesWedge*Antilles Registered User new member
edited April 2008 in PAX Archive
I did search around the forums, and saw some suggestions, but those were all put up a whiles ago.

So, console freeplay was lame last year. And the only time I enjoyed it in 06' was when I didn't register anything, and just found people to play GH with out in the hall.

I was just wondering if there was any word yet on if it would be seeing changes this year? I don't see the current model as working very well at all, nor being in the spirit of the con. While having a few places where people can rent and try out games is OK, you're really not gonna get a lot out of a game you haven't played in the allotted time, and there's tons of new stuff you never could have played on the showroom floor already. Sure groups can take out a space to play a set of Smash Bros or something, but unless they brought their own save data/game, it's often a gimped experience.

So I've been hoping this year, there are freeplay areas setup that just have the best group games running, more or less open to everyone, like the bemani machines. That way you can have stations with Brawl that has everything unlocked, and Rock Band stations will all the DLC loaded on them. You could still leave a few spaces for groups/people that want to rent an area out, but I really think the majority of it should be moved to a more open experience. I don't know about the security and all that jazz, but I'd hope there is some way to make that work.

Also, PC Freeplay was awesome. I look forward to some big TF2 matches this year.

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this thing, I couldn't think of anywhere better.

Wedge*Antilles on

• Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i have all the DLC need a hard drive?

on a side note, the exhibition halll is 2 times as big, i really dont know the future of console freeplay.....but what do i know right?

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There *will* be a console freeplay.

Not sure on details.

As for rock band... i work on xbox so I come across free live points all the time via various channels at work... I have all the dlc and then some ;) (and I know the CFP manager <3's my ample stocks of personal 360 stuff that I always loan out for PAX). So a fully unlocked rockband will be available should it be at PAX.

Yes, PC is awesome.

PC > Console

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I agree that console freeplay wasn't the greatest last year, with people sitting there playing their checked out games, it was the only part of the expo that didn't seem welcoming.

The big exception to that was the classic console room, and the two day Kickle's Cubicle game that went on in there. There were 10 of us (who didn't know each other) that made it our mission to beat a stupid nintendo game during PAX last year, and it was the best time I had at the whole event.

So my two cents is that a freeplay area that did more to foster communal playing and the good times that come along with it would fit the spirtit of PAX better than the current model.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I FUCK WITH KICKLE'S CUBICLE. Seriously, I am the one who pulled that shit out of the box.

the dough on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    the dough wrote: »
    I FUCK WITH KICKLE'S CUBICLE. Seriously, I am the one who pulled that shit out of the box.

If memory serves me, the guy behind the counter pulled it out of the box, and for someone with blond hair, not dark hair (I looked at your post history to find a pic of you). I could be wrong, I was too busy inspecting the vector vision at the time as I had never seen one.

Transparent on
  • Options
    Wedge*AntillesWedge*Antilles Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I played in the classic console area a bit too, that was nice. Picked up some SF II on the SNES and had some great matches.

Wedge*Antilles on
  • Options
    RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I know this has been mentioned before, but to prevent really long lines for Console Freeplay and to promote a more fun and personable playing experience, could we make the games in each console static? As in, you pick the game you want to play by looking at the tv's, and to join you just sit down and play. This would make the whole having I.D thing, long lines to get and return, 1 person playing a 4 person game stuff a non-issue. It would have it's own obstacles but...thoughts?

This man sounds intelligent!

RowdyTheDog on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I know this has been mentioned before, but to prevent really long lines for Console Freeplay and to promote a more fun and personable playing experience, could we make the games in each console static? As in, you pick the game you want to play by looking at the tv's, and to join you just sit down and play. This would make the whole having I.D thing, long lines to get and return, 1 person playing a 4 person game stuff a non-issue. It would have it's own obstacles but...thoughts?

This man sounds intelligent!

While I find your public autofelatio disturbing, I agree that there should be walk up stations with multiplayer games set up. There could still be check out games, but they shouldn't be the only or even the primary option.

Transparent on
  • Options
    the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the dough wrote: »

If memory serves me, the guy behind the counter pulled it out of the box, and for someone with blond hair, not dark hair (I looked at your post history to find a pic of you). I could be wrong, I was too busy inspecting the vector vision at the time as I had never seen one.

You are wrong, but I forgive you.

the dough on
  • Options
    Comrade OneComrade One Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I gotta say I agree with the OP.
    Having to repeatedly check out GH only to have to ask around for the cheat to unlock it, wasting ~5 mins each time, was super lame.

Static game stations would be better imo, as long as there are enough of them.

Comrade One on
This discussion has been closed.