As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAoC] While we wait for WAR[56k]

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I saw one too. It was pretty fabulous.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well boo. I'm out of town until Sunday afternoon. So I'm going to miss out on some pretty sweet leveling time.

Of the many characters I've leveled, the only one I know I'm sticking with is Selani - Level 13 Valkyrie. Beyond that I'm still trying to figure it out. But you'll all be way ahead of me by the time I get back. ><;

Murphy on
  • Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Murphy wrote: »
    Well boo. I'm out of town until Sunday afternoon. So I'm going to miss out on some pretty sweet leveling time.

Of the many characters I've leveled, the only one I know I'm sticking with is Selani - Level 13 Valkyrie. Beyond that I'm still trying to figure it out. But you'll all be way ahead of me by the time I get back. ><;

I still cannot decide what to put my time into. I keep trying to go into the BG's since I don't know where to find the super xp only to find stealth gankers waiting every time. :( I'm sure when you get back you'll fall into altitis like myself and have three of four characters leveling at once.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    Everyone but urahonkey have fun while I'm gone!

Murphy on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Pfft. I won't even get my fan in til Wednesday.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Everyone but urahonkey have fun while I'm gone!

Oh that's it...

urahonky on
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well do you guys actually use your weapons? Because weapons don't glow unless you're actually fighting with them, which is why glowy isn't quite as cool with a caster. But I know that trainers give you glowey weapons now-a-days.

Fiatil on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    lvl 10 quest in genlock the last weapon you choose from the guy before the armor quest glows :D not that I ever cared about glowing weaponis :D

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited April 2008
    In other news; Bone Dancers are OP. Just ask Jaggy! lol

Oddjob187 on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There anyone on who could invite me to the guild?

EDIT: Man I'm only level 5 and I already have more spells then I know what to do with on my spiritmaster.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    So last night me and jaggy finally got some pvp action in Wilton (30-34) and I gotta say, I was rusty. My poor skalds point setup is pure speed bot with higher Battlesong then sword but I still have lots of fun. Its amazing to see how scary a Bone Dancer is with a skald making him run fast and breathe under water.

We need to get some toons to level 24 and get them into thid so we can roll together guys.

Also, if you like to trade skill take one up. Money seems fairly plentiful since you buy all your equipment with Aurulite peices from the vendors in the Kobold Undercity. Plus if people take up armour and weapon crafting I can keep working with my Rune Master who is a spell crafter that can imbue player made weapons to have wicked magical buffs.

Also also, I will be farming Aurulite with my BD to help the guild, so if your around level 10 and you need some equipment hollar at me and I'll see what my Aurulite stock is like to get you a full suit +weapon.

* What is Aurulite? - Aurulite is a little crystal that can be found in some instanced dungeon content in Catacombs. They drop off npc's and can be used to buy everything that you can fit in your Inventory window. What makes them good you say? Well they're all magical items that when you wear a full suit your primary stats for your class will be far beyond the max cap (Your skills are capped at a certain point so you can't have 300 Strength on a level 10). For the average gamer like us Aurulite keeps us from farming gold to buy player made items then getting them spell crafted for mega bucks.

Oddjob187 on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, if you like to trade skill take one up.

I started to do Tailoring, then I remembered how god-awful painful crafting in DAoC is. And you can't make magic items with normal craft skills. You have to make base stuff, the get someone else to spell craft it.

When I played DAoC back in the day, I really didn't focus on SCing stuff til late into my 40s. I just made do with dropped stuff.

For a caster this is probably a valid thing to do. For a melee character... armor is more important to them.

Selner on
    edited April 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    Also, if you like to trade skill take one up.

I started to do Tailoring, then I remembered how god-awful painful crafting in DAoC is. And you can't make magic items with normal craft skills. You have to make base stuff, the get someone else to spell craft it.

When I played DAoC back in the day, I really didn't focus on SCing stuff til late into my 40s. I just made do with dropped stuff.

For a caster this is probably a valid thing to do. For a melee character... armor is more important to them.

Thats where Aurulite fills the void. My RM can SC. I think he has like 300 points in SC.

Also; rape rape in 35-39 BG. My Rune Master is dead every 10 seconds. The place is archer heaven since they can stealth up to range then hit me with a 600+ dmg shot, which equals my dealth in nearly 1 hit. :(

Oddjob187 on
  • MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ugh, Odd you are Nuck?

Think I must've gotten you a dozen times or so this morning on Evjja. Ya ya OP'd archer goodness.

I need something to play when I get frustrated playing crappy classes with gimp specs.

Back to the bard! :|

Morturus on
    edited April 2008
    You! YOU! YOOOU! DIE IN A FIRE!

There is a special place in hell waiting for you!

Every time I got a rez folk would start buffing me and I'd throw up my bubble then KAPOW! Super awesome magic shot goes right through your bubble and hits you for 690 damage. You die cause you have 684 health. Damn you!

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    lol, yeh archers suck. At least they unstealth when they shoot now :D

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When did they ever NOT unstealth? Even back when I played at launch attacking always broke stealth.

Last Son on
    edited April 2008
    back in the day if you died in one hit it wouldn't unstealth the person who did the killing blow. So rogues would go running aroun the fronteirs killing low lv people in 1 shot and never unstealthing.
    Granted we weren't worth any rps but hey, stopping our xps was always a bitch.

Draeven on

• MorturusMorturus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My suggestion when playing a squishy is to always hang wayyyy back, then when you see a target (say some elf ranger who gets a little too close) you run up real fast, put a couple nukes in their bum, then run like hell!

That super kapow shot takes 6s to line up, and 90% of people in Molvik are braindead and attack the closest, brightest coloured thing they can see. So many times today you'd see 10 Hibs all attacking the bright pink troll while 10 feet away 2 shamen and a healer calmly sit and heal him.

And if you can get a roaming group, you'll have much more luck than at standoffs (at least if you aren't RC spec).

See you out there. :twisted:

Morturus on
    edited April 2008
    Morturus wrote: »
    My suggestion when playing a squishy is to always hang wayyyy back, then when you see a target (say some elf ranger who gets a little too close) you run up real fast, put a couple nukes in their bum, then run like hell!

That super kapow shot takes 6s to line up, and 90% of people in Molvik are braindead and attack the closest, brightest coloured thing they can see. So many times today you'd see 10 Hibs all attacking the bright pink troll while 10 feet away 2 shamen and a healer calmly sit and heal him.

And if you can get a roaming group, you'll have much more luck than at standoffs (at least if you aren't RC spec).

See you out there. :twisted:

I am RC spec. Booolt bolt bolt bolt booooooolt.

Also, I cant afford black bloody dye and I love my cloak to much to dye it black. Throwing up the horns is what The Fancy Lads is all about.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    Whooo... level 20!

urahonky on
  • jaggyjaggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So my DAoC experience thus far (since reactivating, of course) has gone thusly:

1) roll a skald, get to 6 - "this is boring, I want to be overpowered."
    2) think, "What class did I use to hate most back in the day"
    3) roll a BD, "ZOMG THIS CLASS IS TEH HAWT," power my way to mid 30s
    4) dominate BGs for a bit
    5) level to 35, try out Molv for a while
    6) seemingly die in multiples of two (honestly, how many times do archers find it necessary to kill me when they obviously saw me just get rezzed)
    7) roll a hunter so I can find out (again, as I already had a RR6 ranger) how satisfying it is to plink helpless casters from afar
    8) to be continued...

God I love this game. Hopefully I can pry myself away from it long enough to finish my grad school projects this term.

jaggy on
    edited April 2008
    jaggy wrote: »
    So my DAoC experience thus far (since reactivating, of course) has gone thusly:

1) roll a skald, get to 6 - "this is boring, I want to be overpowered."
    2) think, "What class did I use to hate most back in the day"
    3) roll a BD, "ZOMG THIS CLASS IS TEH HAWT," power my way to mid 30s
    4) dominate BGs for a bit
    5) level to 35, try out Molv for a while
    6) seemingly die in multiples of two (honestly, how many times do archers find it necessary to kill me when they obviously saw me just get rezzed)
    7) roll a hunter so I can find out (again, as I already had a RR6 ranger) how satisfying it is to plink helpless casters from afar
    8) to be continued...

God I love this game. Hopefully I can pry myself away from it long enough to finish my grad school projects this term.

You're screwed. Just give up school.

I agree that skald is kind of boring. I'm pretty sure mine leveled up back in the day running task dungeons in groups just cause people wanted speed song to get back to the task giver over and over.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    Skalds can be borning yes, but in most bgs every group wants / needs a skald. Thats why I have a thidranki skald.

Draeven on

edited April 2008
    So I saw my first little bit of RvR over the weekend, in the Hills of Claret.

First I exchanged deaths with the scythe wielding Hibbie class, whatever they are. Buggers have a root, so would root my pet and rush me. I got her a couple times, she got me a couple times. Sorta fun.

Then I got in the group that took down the Claret Keep. Good times. Killed a handful of Albs who tried to defend. Got a lvl of the keep taking "quest".

Then got in an xp group killing those scrag things. Another level.

Decided I wanted a couple more lvls, so bummed around Catacombs and Task Dungeons killing stuffs. Hit 16 before going to bed last night. And I'll have a free 17 waiting for me the next time I log in.

The free level thing doesn't expire or anything, does it? As I might not be able to log in tonight.

Selner on
    edited April 2008
    So I saw my first little bit of RvR over the weekend, in the Hills of Claret.

First I exchanged deaths with the scythe wielding Hibbie class, whatever they are. Buggers have a root, so would root my pet and rush me. I got her a couple times, she got me a couple times. Sorta fun.

Then I got in the group that took down the Claret Keep. Good times. Killed a handful of Albs who tried to defend. Got a lvl of the keep taking "quest".

Then got in an xp group killing those scrag things. Another level.

Decided I wanted a couple more lvls, so bummed around Catacombs and Task Dungeons killing stuffs. Hit 16 before going to bed last night. And I'll have a free 17 waiting for me the next time I log in.

The free level thing doesn't expire or anything, does it? As I might not be able to log in tonight.

It will still be there when you log in waiting for you.

Oddjob187 on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How does the free level thing work, btw?

I was a lazy bum all weekend. Just sat on my couch playing Overlord, never once logged into DAoC. :(
    Actually all of the times I was going to play DAoC I went looking for a boxed 5th Anniversary copy around town. I found one at GameStop for $30...but didn't want to spend that much. So eventually I found it for $23 shipped on Buy.com Should I purchase it? As in will a substantial number of us still be playing after the 14 day trial?

Accualt on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think I might roll a Skald. I like my Valk, but who doesn't like to run fast?

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
    edited April 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    How does the free level thing work, btw?

I was a lazy bum all weekend. Just sat on my couch playing Overlord, never once logged into DAoC. :(
    Actually all of the times I was going to play DAoC I went looking for a boxed 5th Anniversary copy around town. I found one at GameStop for $30...but didn't want to spend that much. So eventually I found it for $23 shipped on Buy.com Should I purchase it? As in will a substantial number of us still be playing after the 14 day trial?

Well I'm not on the 14 day trial, I am fully resubbed so I will still be here. I also brought up the point that we should expand the guild with non pa-ers so if you know anyone from some place else that doesnt come to PA tell'em to game on.

The free level thing works by every 4 or 5 days you get a free level. Its defently not auto xp mode, but its nice to get a full free level when you need 60 billion xp till your next ding.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    I also resubbed and bought the 5 year edition so I'll at least be around for a full month. Longer if I'm still having fun.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I am subbed for at least a whole month.

urahonky on
  • jaggyjaggy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    <- re-subbed as well, gotta love that "Elder" title.

jaggy on
    edited April 2008
    Got me an elder title as well :P

urahonky on
    edited April 2008
    I also have the Elder title. I wonder if it will make people think I'm a twink on the BG's even though I won't have all black dyed gear?

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Lacerated SkyLacerated Sky Cleveland, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, DAoC, what a fun game. I am resubscribing because of this thread.

I have the anniversary edition, so patching shouldn't take long.

I do know though, that I have Albs on Gareth, if I make a Middie on another server in the cluster, is it possible to switch over to Gareth somehow and get in the guild and everything?

Lacerated Sky on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This thread tempts me.

I must not abandon Middle earth to the darkness, I must not. . .

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited April 2008
    Man, DAoC, what a fun game. I am resubscribing because of this thread.

I have the anniversary edition, so patching shouldn't take long.

I do know though, that I have Albs on Gareth, if I make a Middie on another server in the cluster, is it possible to switch over to Gareth somehow and get in the guild and everything?

The classic servers are clustered, so you can be on any of the three Classics and still be playing with us. Its no worrys at all.

If you want to kill us on your Albs all you have to do is log off, wait less then five minutes and log into your alb characters. :winky:
    Entaru wrote: »
    This thread tempts me.

I must not abandon Middle earth to the darkness, I must not. . .

LOTRO was fun, but it was so to slow paced for me to ever stay with. DAOC is the perfect MMO in my opinion. Based heavily on PVP action and every step of your characters life you're having items and xp thrown at you in bunches! Mythic doesn't want you to spend months grinding to get into Frontier RVR. They want you to spend a month getting to know your characters as you rampage your way through the Battle Grounds then get into the frontiers.

I hope to god they setup WAR just like this. Don't grind for ages on end - learn your class then get to the front.

Oddjob187 on
    edited April 2008
    As in will a substantial number of us still be playing after the 14 day trial?

Full account here.
    I've been fully subscribed since the 1st week of Release :) .

And I think the /free thing works something like as long as you grind a lvl every 4 days, you get a free one too.
    I can see it being very helpful in the later levels.
    Here's the Herald's breakdown: http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=798

And here's the day listing:
    http://guilds.camelotherald.com/realms/index.php?server=Gareth&realm=&v=&t=other

Oh, I guess it's 5 days.

I recall at one point it was 24 hours. That may have been during Catacombs Beta though.

Selner on
    edited April 2008
    I am probably going to pick up a full copy. Just not this week, as a new term just started and I am going to be busy.

Murphy on
    edited April 2008
    As in will a substantial number of us still be playing after the 14 day trial?

Full account here.
    I've been fully subscribed since the 1st week of Release :) .

And I think the /free thing works something like as long as you grind a lvl every 4 days, you get a free one too.
    I can see it being very helpful in the later levels.
    Here's the Herald's breakdown: http://support.darkageofcamelot.com/kb/article.php?id=798

And here's the day listing:
    http://guilds.camelotherald.com/realms/index.php?server=Gareth&realm=&v=&t=other

Oh, I guess it's 5 days.

I recall at one point it was 24 hours. That may have been during Catacombs Beta though.

Got any toons with Trade Skills?

Oddjob187 on