As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Hail Megatron - Humans Be A Dying In Here

KVWKVW Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Graphic Violence
All Hail Megatron!

tformahm01btrevoryt5.jpg

What is it?

All Hail Megatron is a 12 issue series by Shane McCarthy and Guido Guidi in which the Decepticons win. They conquer Earth, kill humans, do a little dance. Yes, there's killing. No more missing or running away from fights screaming they'll be back. A very much "grown up" Transformers story, or as agrown up as giant talking robots from the 80's can be.

Here's the press release for a more thorough description.

When is it?

Starts July '08 from IDW.

Is this part of some other story? What do I need in order to understand this story?

Nothing! While set in the IDW continuity, there is no need to have read any other story and only basic knowledge of the property or characters should suffice to understand the story. It's basically Transformers if the Decepticons won and conquered Earth. No hidden subplots or random backstories needed to be known.

More information?

Here's an interview with the writer, Shane McCarthy on All Hail Megatron.

Prologue / Previews!
tformdecrulefinal2ui5.jpg

tf2al6.jpg

tf4un0.jpg

I grew up in the '80s. As such, I was raised on Transformers, from toys to cartoons to crying like a baby over Optimus Prime dying (zomg spoilers!) in the movie. However, the comics never really held any weight for me. I bought the Dreamwave ones on nostolgia and they were pretty decent and looked great, but the story didn't really evolve with the times. It was still very much a Saturday morning cartoon, even with new publishers, style book that no one died in, giant robots fought, retreated, fought again, over and over.

With that in mind, All Hail Megatron really caught my eye, as the Decepticons win. And I don't mean Megatron gloating over captive Autobots or not doing anything with Earth. This time, they come in and conquer the planet, killing and destroying as they see fit. The previews above really got me excited for a Transformers comic for the first time in a long time.

I don't think it'll be good just because there's killing, but it's about time they stopped holding hands and skirting the issue. It's like most GI Joe comics with terrorists and military people not killing anyone. Ever. It's hard to take serious after a while.

I'll be grabbing the first issue, guaranteed. We'll see if the series is worth it after that. Looks great so far, though. What say you all?

KVW on

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks good. I may have to put this one on my pull list.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The closest thing to faith in my life is my faith in Optimus Prime. To me this comic is the equivalent of hate speech!

I won't buy it but I'll probably flip through it at the store. ;)

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The IDW books have been tons better than anything Dreamwave put out.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It would have been better if he was a T-Rex.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I always wondered why there wasn't a Transformers thread here, or any reference made to any transformer comics like, ever.

"All Hail Megatron" should be boss hog, but everything put out by IDW has been anyway(except the Beast Wars series and" Hearts of steel") .

I've gotten a few of my friends with a casual interest in Transformers hooked by lending them the trades of Infiltration, Stormbringer and Escalation.

And the Spotlights! Spotlight Kup isn't just one of my favorite transformer comics, it's one of my favorite comics, full stop.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Constructicons are dicks.

EDIT: Incidentally, I'm sort of surprised to see the Constructicons in there, since the Gestalt mojo isn't in general circulation in IDW continuity. Odd.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This actually looks cool, never got any Transformer comics before and only really watched Beast Wars as a kid, will probably add this to my pull list.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, so there's no opposition whatsoever to try and stop his tyranny? My mind is blown.

I secretly hope Shockwave will try to overthrow him at the very least. That would be a neat throwback to the original comic.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    He just looks sooo damn happy on that preview cover. Smiley Megatron will haunt my dreams.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is that like transformer oil or something dribbling from poor ole Optimus Primes head?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand why they would want to take control of Earth. Aren't all the Transformers shows about getting the All-Spark or Energon or whatever and then getting the fuck off of our backwards planet?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I might have to pick up the first issue of this even though the interior art of every modern TF comic I've paged through has burned my retinas.

Being able to draw robots in anime poses and with weird proportions does not a good artist make.

august on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand why they would want to take control of Earth. Aren't all the Transformers shows about getting the All-Spark or Energon or whatever and then getting the fuck off of our backwards planet?

Earth is supposedly resource rich. I think.

august on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

It's sort of like that episode of JLU where Flash and Lex Luthor switch minds, and Flash-Lex is in the bathroom, and Dr. Polaris is all "You didn't wash your hands!", and Flash-Lex says "Duh, I'm evil!".

It's like that.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    august wrote: »

I don't really know what special resources we could offer to robots who live on a planet made of robot parts.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    And the Spotlights! Spotlight Kup isn't just one of my favorite transformer comics, it's one of my favorite comics, full stop.

Yes! Spotlight Kup was one of the best single issues that came out last year. Of anything.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I don't really know what special resources we could offer to robots who live on a planet made of robot parts.
    Robot parts are difficult to turn into usable energy. Earth has an abundance of oil and other natural resources that can be easily converted into energy. And earth also has loli chicks that are capable of increasing the power of a transformer, if the abomination that is Transformers: Kissplay is to be believed. Appearently it's difficult to come across those on a planet made of robot parts.

see317 on
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    see317 wrote: »

Robot parts are difficult to turn into usable energy. Earth has an abundance of oil and other natural resources that can be easily converted into energy. And earth also has loli chicks that are capable of increasing the power of a transformer, if the abomination that is Transformers: Kissplay is to be believed. Appearently it's difficult to come across those on a planet made of robot parts.

Euh.... wait what.... o_O

On topic:" the deceptions win" theme sounds awesome, and the previews look great. Altough still wtf on why they need earth. I mean oil is great and all but I think giant intelligent robots would have figured out some great solar panel tech by now,

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Newres wrote: »

There was a Japanese transformers comic, that was so bad, it had the Japanese readers shouting at the publisher, 'WTF are you thinking? The English readers are going to think we're all a bunch of perverts!' The female protagonists (who transformed their transformers into powered up forms by kissing them) were in their upper teens, but all looked ten or so, kept ending up in scantily-clad, provocative poses, and in one of the most infamously bad panels, one of the girls is threatened by a decepticon who is extending a long, snaky tongue, which due to the design and all the spit flying off, look undeniably like a jizz spewing phallus.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I might have to pick up the first issue of this even though the interior art of every modern TF comic I've paged through has burned my retinas.

Being able to draw robots in anime poses and with weird proportions does not a good artist make.

Blame this guy for those dark days.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Pat_Lee

20080225crotch.png

20050831detail.gif

20050829loyalty.gif

pat_lee_shortpacked.png

[Thank you "Shortpacked!"]

Thanfully he's no longer running the show, and IDW is in the hands of incredible artists like E.J. Su and Guido Guidi.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

On topic:" the deceptions win" theme sounds awesome, and the previews look great. Altough still wtf on why they need earth. I mean oil is great and all but I think giant intelligent robots would have figured out some great solar panel tech by now,

Well they are decepticons, they are evil, do they really need a reason to take over Earth and killing its inhabitants?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The reason why Earth is such a hotspot is because it's one of the planets Shockwave seeded with experimental energon millions of years ago [as shown in Spotlight: Shockwave].

It's ripe for harvesting now.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand where all the confusion comes from regarding the Decepticons wanting to control Earth. Like every week, if they weren't trying to trap or destroy the Autobots, the Decepticons were off pilfering oid rigs or solar arrays or something else and stacking giant piles of newly filled energon cubes around.

Earth being rich in resources (whereas Cyberton having been bled dry) was the focal point of several story arcs and outright seasons. I was like 6 years old at the time and this came through crystal clear.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008

Shit To Blow Up is a highly wanted resource.

Echo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Shit To Blow Up is a highly wanted resource.
    Which is why cybertron is now entirely composed of busted up robot parts.

see317 on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I guess your clean energy technology slows downs when you spend all your time devising new and exciting ways to shoot each other with giant lasers,

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No, really.

The comment about experimental energon last page is why the Decepticons want Earth in the IDW continuity.

Furu on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I guess your clean energy technology slows downs when you spend all your time devising new and exciting ways to shoot each other with giant lasers,
    They should just duck tap Bulbasaurs to their arms instead "Solarbeam mo fos!"

For what price IDW's charging for each comic this shit better be good. I still can't get over how Stormbringer's ending was so anticlimactic.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Stormbringer was all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Other than that though everything has been amazing - I wasn't sure at first if I was going to enjoy the Spotlights, but they've all been good (obviously some more than others) and they all tie in to the over-arcing storyline that Furman has going (again, some more than others).

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Stormbringer was all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Other than that though everything has been amazing - I wasn't sure at first if I was going to enjoy the Spotlights, but they've all been good (obviously some more than others) and they all tie in to the over-arcing storyline that Furman has going (again, some more than others).

I think Stormbringer was a knee-jerk reaction to most of the fandoms cries of "NEED'S MOAH ROBOTSS!1".

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2008
    And Furman heard it as "Need's more classical-literature-style internal monologuing about events past".

I mean when he lays it on thick, he lays it on thick. Try reading some of the stuff in Stormbringer out loud with a straight face, much less reading it dramatically.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The reason the comics are inferior is because you can't put Peter Cullen's voice into a comic.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Try to imagine Peter Cullen reading the lines for extra lulz.

You can get a taste of it if you have the Transformers: The Beginning DVD, which comes with the added bonus of Frank Welker delivering such gems as "Terra Firma... it seems anything but!".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, that's always been my problem with Furman's writing. Everyone sounds the same.

And yeah, Prime's internal monologue or whatever it was in issue 4 of Stormbringer was painful.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Furmanisms

Can I do any less?

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Furmanisms are the best thing

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I look forward to this.
    But then again I looked forward to Megatron: Origins and just about everything after the first issue was terrible.

Accualt on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't wait for this. It'll be interesting to see what Megatron is like as a ruler and not just as the leader of an army. Personally, I think the day-to-day management of an empire would quickly bore him, he'd tire of it, maybe pawn it off onto Soundwave.

Without conflict, without Prime specifically, I don't know how driven Megs would really be. His time as a ruler begins to fall apart, maybe Starscream launches his successful coup.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    dfe01dfe01 Registered User new member
    edited April 2008
    The reason why Earth is such a hotspot is because it's one of the planets Shockwave seeded with experimental energon millions of years ago [as shown in Spotlight: Shockwave].

It's ripe for harvesting now.

You know, that makes the whole thing make a lot more sense than what I know about TF and energon.

The question I had was, there are 9 planets in the solar system. That means there are 8 uninhabited planets with raw materials on them, not counting all the moons and asteroids. Hell I heard one of Jupiter’s moons has a methane atmosphere.

It seems like it would have been a lot easier to go to could an uninhabited planet and start harvesting. Could you imagine the exchange between Optimus Prime and Megatron in a situation like that?

MEGATRON: The Decepticons have claimed Jupiter and all its Moons for ourselves. Soon we will start converting its resources to enegon, and there’s nothing you or your pathetic Autobots can do about it. {Maniacal Laughter}

PRIME; Fine. We don’t care. It’s all yours.

MEGATRON: WHAT?!

PRIME: The planet is completely uninhabited and unclaimed. We don’t care what you do with it.

MEGATRON: ………..

PRIME: In fact, we could use some energon. Could we buy some from you?

MEGATRON: Uh, sure…I guess.

PRIME: Do you take checks?

MEGATRON: Cash or charge only, stupid Autobot.

Of course, there are still ways this could turn into a conflict, but it would take out the human element. However, the whole Shockwave thing, though contrived, really explains why earth is important.

dfe01 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    dfe01 wrote: »
    Of course, there are still ways this could turn into a conflict, but it would take out the human element. However, the whole Shockwave thing, though contrived, really explains why earth is important.

It's not overly contrived, really. Shockwave saw pretty early on in the war (Like, before it left Cybertron IIRC) that it'd end up turning into a war of attrition, so he set up his secret plan to ensure he would be in control of his own supply of energon.

Then the Dinobots happened to him. Whooooops.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    dfe01 wrote: »

It's not overly contrived, really. Shockwave saw pretty early on in the war (Like, before it left Cybertron IIRC) that it'd end up turning into a war of attrition, so he set up his secret plan to ensure he would be in control of his own supply of energon.

Then the Dinobots happened to him. Whooooops.

I haven't been keeping up with IDW's books. Is this all stuff that's happened since they got the license? What happened to Shockwave? He's always been one of my favourites. Dinobots didn't destroy him did they?

KVW on