As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Death is so shitty! ITT: Pets we've lost

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Social Entropy++
So I just got the shittiest phone call.

My dog that I had for almost thirteen years, who I had since I was ten years old, who has gone with me on numerous camping, hunting and hiking expeditions all over Alaska, had to be put down just a few hours ago. He developed a massive heart tumor. I saw him just a few weeks ago when I was visiting my parents. They were keeping him there while I manage apartments for the University. This really sucks balls.

IMG_3393.jpg

Rest well, good friend.

What pets have you all lost? Post your sad stories of shitty deaths.

Also, reading through that New User thread has helped me not feel so shitty (or possibly made me feel shittier, I guess).

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    itt: sadddddddddd

Box on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just came from Weaver's thread

:(

Sheri on
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah... weve got quite the perpendicular threads going on inza heere.

Jigrah on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seriously.

I had a parrot that was born a week before I was. Lorenzo liked me and only me..bit everyone else that tried to pet it. Such an awesome bird. One day a couple of years ago, I found it dead in its cage. Quite a sad moment.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What really sucks is that I got called in the middle of a conference today on leadership that he was dying. I couldn't leave because I'm the on-duty manager until 5pm Sunday and I was really hoping he'd hang on until I could make the hour drive out there to say goodbye. I wanted to bury him. Just as I got home from the conference and got ready to go on-duty, I get the call that they had to put him down and had him cremated.

Seriously, this shit fucking sucks.

The first thought that I had though was "fuck this, I am going to SE++ to cheer me up".

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had some Venus Fly Traps die on me a couple days ago.

Nikolai on
    xXNXOA7.png?1
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    once i was fuckin this dog

and i guess something just broke

boy those stains were hard to explain

Kovak on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thoughts of love and condolence for you and your friend, Talon.

DrZiplock on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    we have 5 dogs right now

when one of them died we replaced it in like a week

i hardly can even tell

Kovak on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sheri wrote: »
    I just came from Weaver's thread

This shit be cyclical, yo.

Weaver on
  • BogdanichBogdanich Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One morning, when I was about seven years old, one of our goldfish was found on the floor, dead. I remember my father basically interrogated us as to which one of us did it, ie grabbed the fish from the tank and threw it on the floor to die. All I know is that it wasn't me.

Bogdanich on
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    About four years ago I got home from class and couldn't find my dog. My family and I began checking around, and we eventually lifted the cover off the pool and found his body. He was 16 and having health troubles, so when he fell in he was unable to get himself out and nobody was home to save him.

About a month later we adopted my current dog. He was being given up by his family because they thought he was a miniature poodle when he was a puppy instead of a standard. There were also health issues which they didn't want to deal with. The kids would hit him and do other horrible things to him, so even after all this time he still has some walls up.

He's taking a nap on a pillow I won at Dave & Busters that says "Groovy Girl" on it. He is quite the groovy girl

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When I moved out of my parents house one of the first things I did was go to the pet store and buy myself a kitten. My then girlfriend-now wife named the cat Hermione.

This was the shyest most anti-social cat I have ever known. It spent it's first couple months slinking around the corners of my apartment. It only occasionally let me pet it. But I loved it anyway, and kept it around.

Over time the thing grew to love me. It would sit on top of my computer monitor for hours while I played games, dangling its paws over the screen sometimes to bat at the moving characters. She had a beautiful coat, and big green eyes. She also love to rough house. I'd chase her around the house and lift her high into the air--toss her around. Some people thought I was mean to her but i assure you she was purring like a snare drum the entire time.

After I got married we all three lived pretty happily, but when my wife got pregnant she insisted that the cat become an outdoor cat. I didn't like it, but agreed to it.

Three months later I found her smashed on the side of the road. I scooped her up and carried her to my backyard, dug a hole, and then buried her. I'm not a person that gets overly attached to animals, but fuck if I didn't have to fight back tears the entire time.

snap on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When you buy a pet, you're purchasing a small tragedy.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited April 2008
    When you buy a pet, you're purchasing a small tragedy.

Yea, so true.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My Husky had to get spayed because she got a uterine infection, and we found out this week that she's epileptic

She's only like 2 and a half years old, too.

L|ama on
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    my mother and daughter cat team were eaten by stray dogs in india

my dog died of old age

Killjoy on
  • MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I used to live in Indonesia. Our housekeepers decided to buy little, second grader me a couple of bunnies.

These bunnies died after 3 days.

The housekeepers thought buying another, bigger bunny would cheer me up.

It died after 2 days.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Moridin wrote: »
    I used to live in Indonesia. Our housekeepers decided to buy little, second grader me a couple of bunnies.

These bunnies died after 3 days.

The housekeepers thought buying another, bigger bunny would cheer me up.

It died after 2 days.

Bet you guys ate great though.

Comahawk on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i think my dog wanted to die once, or atleast thought he was dying.

we took him to the vet to find out that his mouth was a rotten mess and that he would have to have almost if not all of his teeth removed and that there was a chance he could die during surgery because i guess tiny dogs don't react well to large doses of anesthesia. anyways, he has the successful surgery and we take him home and just starts acting weird. he seems to be in constant pain and can barely walk. he can basically only walk in circles. he yelps everytime we try to move him and he won't come near us. we made him a couple beds on the floor for him to sleep on. eventually he started to get better and seemed to be in less pain.

then he started acting really weird. it's the dead of winter, there's a solid 4 feet of snow in the backyard that he can walk on. i let him outside one night and notice he's taking an abnormal amount of time so i go to check on him. i see him sitting in the middle of the backyard, on the snow, shivering. i call his name but he isn't reacting, he just sits on the snow. i go trudging through the snow and pick him up and bring him inside. next time, same thing. he just goes out on the snow and sits there. it's -25c outside and he weighs 4 pounds. he's usually outside for all of 30 seconds but he just wants to go outside and lay down on the freezing snow. every day for about two weeks he would do this. sit at the back door to go outside then just go sit on the snow until i came to pick him up. we couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.

then one day he just starts acting normal again. he sits at the back door waiting to go out, so i go get my boots and jacket on expecting to have to go outside and stop him from freezing to death and he's outside peeing as fast as he can so he can run back inside into the warm house.

Angry on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dogs that I've had that have died:
    Kayla
    Bailey
    Tiny
    Tamara
    Bonnie
    Farah
    Cleo
    Daisy
    Jessie

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh goddammit

this thread just reminded me that I've a cat that's been around since I was 8 years old and she's probably going to be dead by the time I visit home next.

Seriously on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    my dog had weird bumps around her mouth the day before i left philadelphia

my mom said it got worse and she's gotten a bunch of ointments and steroids from the vet and they aren't really doing much : (

Garlic Bread on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    the dog I had growing up was put down last year

his legs were basically unable to hold his own weight anymore and he kept falling down the stairs

it was really sad and unexpected as I really had no idea how bad of shape he was in. my dad called me the day afterwards and was like "by the way, we decided to put the dog down." yeah, great, thanks for the heads up dude.

Monoxide on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I got my first real pet (a cat) when I was 14, but now she has liver failure and might die soon

but I talked to my parents today and they said she is frolicking around like she did in days of old and is back to eating her old food

bowtiedseal on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had a dog from 86 to 02. He was the best. That little son of a bitch could play soccer, shoot hoops, and impregnate every bitch around. He once saved me from a wild St Bernard that was after a female we had in a barn. He would always run off for days and sometimes weeks. I always thought he was having the greatest adventures ever. My drunk ass dad would never get rowdy if he was in the room. Imagine a collie/black lab mix putting the fear of God in a drunk redneck. He took off a few days before we moved one time and I never saw him again. I spent every night for weeks looking for him. I honestly miss him. We did some cool shit together.

He was good people.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    re: thread

D:

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    snap wrote: »
    When I moved out of my parents house one of the first things I did was go to the pet store and buy myself a kitten. My then girlfriend-now wife named the cat Hermione.

This was the shyest most anti-social cat I have ever known. It spent it's first couple months slinking around the corners of my apartment. It only occasionally let me pet it. But I loved it anyway, and kept it around.

Over time the thing grew to love me. It would sit on top of my computer monitor for hours while I played games, dangling its paws over the screen sometimes to bat at the moving characters. She had a beautiful coat, and big green eyes. She also love to rough house. I'd chase her around the house and lift her high into the air--toss her around. Some people thought I was mean to her but i assure you she was purring like a snare drum the entire time.

After I got married we all three lived pretty happily, but when my wife got pregnant she insisted that the cat become an outdoor cat. I didn't like it, but agreed to it.

Three months later I found her smashed on the side of the road. I scooped her up and carried her to my backyard, dug a hole, and then buried her. I'm not a person that gets overly attached to animals, but fuck if I didn't have to fight back tears the entire time.

Thats....

Thats horrible

ronzo on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Talonrazor wrote: »

My dog that I had for almost thirteen years, who I had since I was ten years old, who has gone with me on numerous camping, hunting and hiking expeditions all over Alaska, had to be put down just a few hours ago. He developed a massive heart tumor. I saw him just a few weeks ago when I was visiting my parents. They were keeping him there while I manage apartments for the University. This really sucks balls.

<3 Talon

When I was a little kid my golden retriever died from a heart tumor too

EMPATHY DUDE

150cc on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I will be hells of bummed when my cat dies

It is weird for me to be a dude who lives alone with his cat I know but I didn't choose her, she chose me

Dang old pain in the ass wouldn't stop meowing in front of my apartment and was hells of torn up, probably got hit by a car

And me being an OCD dude I did not want to touch this thing but I had to be nice

Thousands of dollars in vet bills later she is a-ok and is the nicest cat even if it still drives me nuts to have the couch scratched and the litter everywhere

So nice and friendly and will chill with you whenever

150cc on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When I turned 3 my parents got a dog that was the runt of the litter from next door. Schkiperkee terrier mix.

I grew up with that dog. Every time I'd come home from the hospital she'd be ready to play. Every time I was sick at home she slept on the foot of my bed and wouldn't eat until I did.

On my 19th birthday I got a phone call from my mother telling me I needed to drive an hour to her house, pick up the dog, take it to the vet, and have her put down. "I just don't have the time, and it needs done."

Apparntly she had been slowly degrading, no longer could hold her food, or her bowels anymore. Had dementia, barked at the wall. Tried to bite mom every time she tried to pick her up. However when I got there she immediately recognized me, wagged her tail, and shit all over the floor in excitement.

Then she fell down and barked at the wall. So I took her in, held back the tears while I drove as she slept on my lap. Carried her in, and as soon as I set foot in that vet's office I lost it like a little girl. They were awesome, gave me a few moments to collect myself and say goodbye to her. Then I collected the body, paid for it, and took her out to the farm where we first lived and buried her near her old pen.

That birthday sucked.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is the thing about pets. They die and it sucks.

The fact that a golden retriever is posted so prominently kinda gets me, though, as a golden retriever named Grizzly was just about my favorite pet ever.

Most recently my cat, Jasper, died over a year ago. Run over in the apartment parking lot....one with a speed limit of 5 mph. Ugh. And I had to watch him die, half crushed, calling the vet to see if I could do anything. Gross and heart crushing.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited April 2008
    150cc wrote: »
    Talonrazor wrote: »

<3 Talon

When I was a little kid my golden retriever died from a heart tumor too

EMPATHY DUDE

Whoever has had a golden retriever knows that they are so awesome.

I still can't believe that when I go to visit my parents he won't be there.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    oh god i hate sad pet stories so much :(:(:(

Projeck on
  • A CrowA Crow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dude, I'm so sorry.

My dog died when I was a junior in college, had him, since I was in the fifth grade. He was a black lab named Dave. And possibly the best fucking dog, I have ever had. He was my do, didn't really respond to anyone else in the family. Some how, we just bonded. Well, I come home my junior year f or spring break. See him, take him for a walk, play with him. I go to take a nap, in the afternoon, and he goes outside. Nothing out of the normal, till my dad calls me out because he went out t' the far part away from the house, and died. I guess so I wouldn't see him go.

Broke my fucking heart.

A Crow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    holy shit stale your story actually has me in tears

that is so sad oh my god

Projeck on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My Blue Heeler is really old, has a big tumor on her side, and can barely walk anymore. I'm guessing a trip to the vet is in order soon :(

Zenitram on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    see i can never really empathize with these threads because during my childhood all our pets died constantly due to living in the woods with redneck neighbors

pretty completely unaffected by pets dying

:|

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    see i can never really empathize with these threads because during my childhood all our pets died constantly due to living in the woods with redneck neighbors

pretty completely unaffected by pets dying

:|

That's almost worse

L|ama on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fabio, the most fucking awesome French Bulldog ever. Died of testicular cancer after more than a decade on this earth.

Spoiler for image.
    21mdutf.jpg

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50