As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

itt we CHAT about the wii

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    Did you play the N64 Castlevania games? If so, what are your opinions regarding them?

I am honestly curious. I thought they were pretty good but at that point I thought any 3-d platformer with decent combat was awesome. I also didn't have access to Symphony of the Night, which, as I understand, is the best game in the series. Still haven't played it.

Oh dude...dude...You did not play SOTN? Man, you really missed out and you definitely want to get and play that. Like I'm almost tempted to send you mine, you really should not miss SOTN. One caveat: Don't use a walkthrough and don't power-level. The game has a nice level of challenge if you basically run straight through it, but if you hang out collecting money, items, and levels, it's stupidly easy.

The N64 ones? Plural? I only know of one. It wasn't...bad...but it wasn't that great. I played it through as both characters, and you get one bad and one good ending for each. They have different cutscenes and some different bosses and stuff, and one character uses a ranged attack while the other uses the usual whip. But anyway, yeah, the platform elements are OK, the night/day thing (like Simon's Quest) is pretty cool...there's one particular part that needs its own special mention: The "Magical Nitro" part. You have to get this jar of nitroglycerin (this game is in like 1896 or something) and take it to a cracked wall in the colosseum to fight Cerberos or something and get to the next level. Well, after you pick it up, you are not allowed to fall at all. Like, if you jump, you will die upon landing. Don't get hit, either. Oh, and you have to walk back across these really narrow platforms, some of which open and close at intervals so you also have to time it right. While people throw shit at you. It's tremendously annoying and takes like 50 tries, and basically makes you dread it so much that you don't want to play through again.

Overall, though, it was pretty cool, but didn't hold a candle to SOTN.

I must not have gotten to the nitro part. I didn't beat that one.

Anyway, yeah, there were two. Castlevania 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. It had four playable characters. The primary one was a non-Belmont who was also a werewolf. It was pretty cool, but it suffered the same problem of the other game: the weapon system was far too simplistic. It basically came down to using your primary attack (be it whip, magic, or werewolf energy scythe thing) on everyone and everything.

And yeah, I never owned a Playstation and now SotN is hard to find so I never played it. I understand it was a real departure for the series. The art was incredible.

If you have a 360 I believe its either coming to or is already on the Xbox Live Arcade or whatever its called.

Javen on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    Did you play the N64 Castlevania games? If so, what are your opinions regarding them?

I am honestly curious. I thought they were pretty good but at that point I thought any 3-d platformer with decent combat was awesome. I also didn't have access to Symphony of the Night, which, as I understand, is the best game in the series. Still haven't played it.

Oh dude...dude...You did not play SOTN? Man, you really missed out and you definitely want to get and play that. Like I'm almost tempted to send you mine, you really should not miss SOTN. One caveat: Don't use a walkthrough and don't power-level. The game has a nice level of challenge if you basically run straight through it, but if you hang out collecting money, items, and levels, it's stupidly easy.

The N64 ones? Plural? I only know of one. It wasn't...bad...but it wasn't that great. I played it through as both characters, and you get one bad and one good ending for each. They have different cutscenes and some different bosses and stuff, and one character uses a ranged attack while the other uses the usual whip. But anyway, yeah, the platform elements are OK, the night/day thing (like Simon's Quest) is pretty cool...there's one particular part that needs its own special mention: The "Magical Nitro" part. You have to get this jar of nitroglycerin (this game is in like 1896 or something) and take it to a cracked wall in the colosseum to fight Cerberos or something and get to the next level. Well, after you pick it up, you are not allowed to fall at all. Like, if you jump, you will die upon landing. Don't get hit, either. Oh, and you have to walk back across these really narrow platforms, some of which open and close at intervals so you also have to time it right. While people throw shit at you. It's tremendously annoying and takes like 50 tries, and basically makes you dread it so much that you don't want to play through again.

Anyway, yeah, there were two. Castlevania 64 and Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness. It had four playable characters. The primary one was a non-Belmont who was also a werewolf. It was pretty cool, but it suffered the same problem of the other game: the weapon system was far too simplistic. It basically came down to using your primary attack (be it whip, magic, or werewolf energy scythe thing) on everyone and everything.

And yeah, I never owned a Playstation and now SotN is hard to find so I never played it. I understand it was a real departure for the series. The art was incredible.

If you have a 360 I believe its either coming to or is already on the Xbox Live Arcade or whatever its called.

I referenced like five games there, which one are you talking about?

Shorty on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    I can almost hear Defender typing furiously.

Ha ha look he did too

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited December 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

SOTN

Javen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Javen wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

SOTN

rgr

Shorty on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    christ, it sure got wordy in here

potatoe on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Metal Slug Anthology is pretty awesome. The controls take a bit of getting used to but then its pure bliss.

Trauma Center is just plain hard. :x

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited December 2006
    Javen wrote:
    SirToons wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    No
    Well uh

[realspoiler:aeb8f198d8]You missed Minda going back to the Twilight Realm, and shattering the mirror into a million pieces[/realspoiler:aeb8f198d8]

Okay well my brother and his friends are downstairs playing Wii baseball so I guess I'll do that later.
    The ending is weird in so much as you didn't see the ending.

Well in most games, the credits come after the ending, so go suck a dick.

Man, what?

The normal ending is always before the credits and the like, "oh I get it now" or "what the shit?" or sequel cliffhanging ending comes after the credits. It is like a gaming law of sorts.

Edit: Also, Billy Joel is fucking awesome you stupid shits.

Menace on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Why should I care?

Shorty on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is Billy Joel in a game about crashing? :o

Or is this not the custom soundtrack thing?

Strato on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have We Didn't Start the Fire

Topical

Green on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    trentsteel wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

Ha ha look he did too

Well I mean he basically asked me to review a game.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Defender wrote:
    trentsteel wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

Ha ha look he did too

Defender this happened forever ago, you didn't have to respond.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Menace wrote:
    Also, Billy Joel is fucking awesome you stupid shits.
    Keith wrote:
    The lyrics are sometimes written in a post-modern/modern/victorian era style, but his personal vocal stylings are more of a classical/reggae perturbation. Sometimes young people listen to his songs while on dates and analysts speculate that he may be responsible for underage/overage/pre-marital marital relations and pregnancies. Although some students show an

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Julius mode in Dawn of Sorrow > SotN

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    trentsteel wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

Ha ha look he did too

Defender this happened forever ago, you didn't have to respond.

Yeah but I was busy and when I came back it was on my screen.

Defender on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2006
    I found a classic controller today so I bought it

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    SirToons wrote:
    Julius mode in Dawn of Sorrow > SotN

What about Richter mode in SOTN?

Defender on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    I found a classic controller today so I bought it

I can't use mine with Metal Slug.

I am perturbed.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Alucard was pretty badass in DoS. I used him on most of the bosses.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I could never figure out how to get past those broken steps that lead to the Castle Keep in Richter mode.

Javen on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't figure it out, I just haven't found a Castlevania game I like.

Granted the only ones I've played are the old NES ones, one or 2 (were there 2?) n64 titles and the first DS game.

I just can't get into them, no trouble Metroids though.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Javen wrote:
    I could never figure out how to get past those broken steps that lead to the Castle Keep in Richter mode.

He has some special moves like Alucard. I think one is like down-up-jump or something...there's one where he basically skyrockets with some kind of dragon-punch-like maneuver.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ShimSham wrote:
    I can't figure it out, I just haven't found a Castlevania game I like.

Granted the only ones I've played are the old NES ones, one or 2 (were there 2?) n64 titles and the first DS game.

I just can't get into them, no trouble Metroids though.

If you didn't like Dawn of Sorrow there is no hope for you. Move along and don't even bother spending money on the series.

Shorty on
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dammit Nintendo

I am still waiting for my trial browser

Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So I guess Youtube works pretty well on the Wii.

Javen on
  • Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    how do we download the trial browser thing? its not in the wii shop or anything

javen do you have it?

Calebros on
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    so what game should i get for me and my gf to play? she likes wii sports and besides that, the only other video game she's ever touched was mario kart 64 (which she rules at)

ps she does not like the rabbits in rayman, so that is a negatory on that game

i was thinking of something off of the vc?

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Calebros wrote:
    how do we download the trial browser thing? its not in the wii shop or anything

javen do you have it?

it's not under "wii-ware" ?

also, it's not midnight (here at least)

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    wombat wrote:

So I see you and Dislexic date the same type of woman.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    wombat wrote:
    so what game should i get for me and my gf to play? she likes wii sports and besides that, the only other video game she's ever touched was mario kart 64 (which she rules at)

i was thinking of something off of the vc?

Wii Play.

Shorty on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2006
    Seriously the moderators of this forum are retarded.

Tube on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shouldn't you be dead

Oden on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    well how about a game that's out already, i was planning on getting wii play when it gets released, though

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
  • Options
    BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    especially that tube guy

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Do tell

Do tell

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    did you kill yourself yet

It's like 7am. I haven't even seen my last sunrise yet. Quit hassling me.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pkmoutl wrote:

Do tell

Do tell

oh not this forum as in SE, all the SE moderators are good

the others though? retarded. to a man.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pkmoutl wrote:

Do tell

Do tell

oh not this forum as in SE, all the SE forums have good moderators

the others though? retarded. to a man.

There's more than one SE?

Shorty on
This discussion has been closed.