As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Opoona : An RPG with WTF [Wii]

CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
http://www.opoona.com/movie.htm

I didn't see a thread about this.
This game looks pretty damn awesome. Sort of like Dragon Quest VIII, but on crack, and way cute.
1 up had this to say :
1up wrote:
Shintaro Majima heads art direction on this project, while Sachiko Yukimura, who has worked with Yuji Hori several times on the Dragon Quest series, joins as planning director. Most exciting for RPG fanboys, however, is Hitoshi Sakimoto, the composer of Final Fantasy XII's excellent soundtrack, penning the music.
Here are some screen shots for fun! (Ganked from kotaku)
opoona2.jpg
opoona3.jpg

Now...We talk about how we think this uses the Wiimote!

Caswynben on

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    is this Wii, or Wii/PS2?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The official site mentions nada about PS2.

Caswynben on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw this twice yesterday. One, at some type of developer conference thing, and it looked awful. Then I saw the official trailer, and it looked more or less interesting. I'd play it, now, and I hope that it serves as a nice RPG diversion until some of the more bigger titles come*.

Not expecting anything ground breaking. I will be surprised if it's even translated.

*If. I mean, how many RPGs are announced that are not from Nintendo?

Sheep on
  • Options
    poik007poik007 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also it only uses the nunchuck.

poik007 on
    DIYD_M3_bannered2.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »
    Now...We talk about how we think this uses the Wiimote!
    Funny you should mention that -- this game controls using only the nunchuk.

Yeah. Think about that.

Honestly, I'm not one for console RPGs but the fact that a developer is undertaking an RPG with nothing but an analog stick, two buttons and the nunchuk motion control has me mad curious as to how the game plays.

... dammit, poik!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why would that make you wonder? Japanese RPGs require nothing more than movement, a "use" key and the ability to scroll through a menu during "combat". JRPGs are the only type of modern game on the market that would be fully playable with an NES controller.

Looks like a little kids game, but hey... those Japs will buy anything that's linear, has a bad story, cute characters, and gameplay that plays itself.

I like the little main character guy though.

Fall on
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    poik007 wrote: »

:^::^:

That's awesome. I've always thought that the Nunchuk seemed like a perfect one-handed controller for RPGs.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

That doesn't make any sense. The nunchuck doesn't work by itself.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »

Oh, come on... :roll:

You plug it into the Remote and then use it.

At least try, man...

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I think they probably mean it works like the classic controller. You have to connect it to the wiimote to use it, so you connect the nunchuck and use it alone.

EDIT: Beat'd

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    tehremotehremo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fall wrote: »
    Why would that make you wonder? Japanese RPGs require nothing more than movement, a "use" key and the ability to scroll through a menu during "combat". JRPGs are the only type of modern game on the market that would be fully playable with an NES controller.

Looks like a little kids game, but hey... those Japs will buy anything that's linear, has a bad story, cute characters, and gameplay that plays itself.

I like the little main character guy though.

Agreed. Japanese gamers will buy a whole slew of games that Americans would laugh at, this looks like one. I'm not judging, I'm sure its the same way (vice versa) over there. I would hate to play an RPG with just the nunchuck.

tehremo on
    f.jpg
    f.jpgf.jpgf.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

At least try, man...

Yeah but, if you have the remote plugged in, might as well make use of the extra buttons instead of having it laying in your lap, no? nunchuck only has 2 buttons.

Fireflash on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The screens and videos I've seen so far really don't look so hot to me, but the nunchuck-only control scheme is too interesting to ignore.

bruin on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Looks hot, even though graphics aren't anything noteworthy. They're cute though.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited March 2007

At least try, man...

Yeah but, if you have the remote plugged in, might as well make use of the extra buttons instead of having it laying in your lap, no? nunchuck only has 2 buttons.

Considering that it's a JRPG and that they haven't changed much since about 1990, you only really need two buttons for yes/no and a D-pad.

Plus there's also the waggle function.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dodgeball: The RPG.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    Captain SubtextCaptain Subtext Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really dislike cell shaded graphics that use thick cell outlines only for characters and not for objects in the environment. You get this weird superimposed effect as a result. Like everything has been filmed in front of a cheap blue screen. This game would look way better if they ditched those outlines; make it look more like windwaker.

Captain Subtext on
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The nunchuck-only idea really reminds me of Kirby's Air Ride for the Gamecube, a racing game played with only one button and the analog stick. I liked KAR...and I guess that has nothing to do with how much I'll like this game.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Wii is quickly becoming a hotbed for big publishers for experimental ideas in console games.

From EA's rhytm game to this nunchuck only RPG, it's a good time to be a gamer, fellas!!

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    More elevator music.

Oh yay ....

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game looks really, really generic, but if it can capture some of the DQ charm I'll definitely give it a look.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hardly impressive (or even particularly appealing), but I wouldn't have bought a Wii if I thought that graphics were what was most important. It's not going on my radar until I get some story and gameplay impressions.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dr. ODr. O Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm trying not to be a graphics whore, but is it so wrong of me to desire graphics better than those on the PS2? I'm not saying the game won't be fun or endearing, but a little polish couldn't hurt either. Still, the idea seems interesting.

Dr. O on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dr. O wrote: »
    I'm trying not to be a graphics whore, but is it so wrong of me to desire graphics better than those on the PS2? I'm not saying the game won't be fun or endearing, but a little polish couldn't hurt either. Still, the idea seems interesting.

i agree. when the wii came out people complained that it only had the power of last gen's xbox but so far all i've seen is last gen's cube. i wish they'd stop rushing stuff and make then RE4 quality at the least. some of this crap looks thrown together by college students who arent trying.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmm, good going Wii. A JRPG and an interesting looking one at that too. Must pick up this when I get my Wii.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The textures in that first shot almost look like a shot from the world map in FF VIII. Developers are just ass lazy on the Wii, surely they can make things look better than this. It is kind of frustrating, because the Wii could look a lot better than this, but . . .

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This sold me:

938642_20080207_screen025.jpg

That and Arte Piazza are big fans of EarthBound.

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That and Arte Piazza are big fans of EarthBound.

I've seen Earthbound mentioned a few times already by people who are playing it. That's more than enough to grab my interest. Plus, it looks like it might be one of those quirky niche games that will be nigh impossible to find later. Once I wrangle up some cash, I'll be plonking it right back down and picking this up.

Oh, and I love the art direction. :)

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One of the recent 1up yours podcasts had a good breakdown of the gameplay. Didn't seem like my type of game, but to each their own.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    To me it looks like the game has great art, I love the characters. But if the gameplay is a little too weak, I might not pick it up, as that is the most important element in a game for me personally.

Zilart on
  • Options
    BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Only a few hours in since my copy arrived later than I expected. I'm really enjoying Opoona so far. The battle system is actually more fun than what reviews have been giving it credit for. Enemies attack at a fairly brisk pace in real time but not to the point of overwhelming though. You don't have to charge your attack the whole way like I've seen in most videos. Although, I haven't met a monster that has required it yet at least. It's actually more efficient (time and damage wise with a small trade off to missing a little more) to pop off a few repeated attacks if you hold the control stick until your energy gets under approximately 75%. Any higher and your attacks connect too slow while you're vulnerable, left to wait for your energy to get back to 100%. You can also curve your attacks that do differing amounts of positional damage depending on the monster's design, similar to Paper Mario but not as restrictive. This gives you a bit more tactical leeway and makes fighting more dynamic compared to most other JRPGs. Expect to encounter fights anywhere between 4 to 40 second spurts. Battles only last about 3 to 35 seconds depending on the number enemies on screen which can be between 1(bigger more, powerful) to 9 (weaklings). It's ridiculously easy in the beginning as they give you plenty of healing items, an allowance and a bank account. Despite the adorable atmosphere, I read that the difficulty gets old school later on.

If there's a complaint I have, it seems like they made this game for lazy RPG fans. Everything's so damn convenient. Once you get the ability to do so the main menu allows you to deposit any money you've earned into your savings account (unlike other games, this actually builds interest after a day!), shop for items online (~15% more expensive) after you purchase something from a vending machine/shop, look up terminology of this universe you don't understand, watch TV (more like slide shows) and a few more things anytime you like. That's all I can really cover game play wise since I barely started.

Just a warning though before you watch their children's educational drama TV show:
    Starring adorable, plucky kitten :D. Children's educational drama TV show=Side story in Super Mario Galaxy D:
    Not sure if I should spoiler these but they're minor in-game events everyone should experience for themselves firsthand:
    The game encourages you to control the camera at the start, a game play mechanic I'm definitely not fond of. So I start playing, crash land on Landroll and wake up inside Starhouse; (*cringe* yeah... creative names) a cleanly designed, futuristic academy with five floors. It's morning and I explore the balconies only to come up with a muted skyline on the fifth floor, the same uninteresting skyline again on the fourth and so on. That is, until I get to the last balcony. There's a pond littered with flowers and lily pads right underneath the translucent blue floor, a nice surprise. Even nicer still was a woman welcoming me to this wonderful star. I swing the camera around to the front while enjoying the skyline with her trying to stifle a laugh, not because Opoona is ridiculously short when compared to the woman but of the handrail blocking his eyes and nose. Leaving only his eyebrows and mouth exposed when his idle animation turns on, Opoona proudly places his hands on his hips and smiles :lol:. Reminds me of Mike from Monsters, Inc : ).

Once you get your passport, Hitoshi Sakimotos' fingers begin to gently caress the piano... at that point, I knew I was in for one hell of a ride.

I'm given my first assignment and head outdoors. The camera captures a side scrolling view as I run left through a small, generic forest. After fighting a few battles, I talk to somebody and press onward. The path bends as I come across a canopy that leads out, light pours through the leaves and I slow down to take in the sights. At the end, I'm welcomed with a vast, lush landscape dotted with a variety of trees and flowers that are alien yet somehow feel familiar.

Opoona is filled with stuff like this. The horrible and generic localization done by Koei makes me wonder how much more affectionate the original characters are. Don't expect any outright surprise or laugh out loud moments. The game approaches everything with a gentle, quiet warmth just like Earthbound did so many years ago. It doesn't have the spit and polish of Nintendo but even with all of its minor flaws Opoona is good enough for me : ).

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bah! I wish I hadn't read your impressions. :P I read the reviews online and they were ho-hum, so I was going to avoid it and save me some money. BUT it sounds like it's actually fun.

urahonky on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hardly impressive (or even particularly appealing), but I wouldn't have bought a Wii if I thought that graphics were what was most important. It's not going on my radar until I get some story and gameplay impressions.
    Here's an impression:

I bought it yesterday (around lunchtime) for my girlfriend as a "ha, she'll like this but probably only for a couple hours" type thing.

It's now 11 am (23 hours later) and she has been playing constantly since we got it. I think she passed out for a while last night, but she was up and running again this morning when I got up.

My impressions of the game:

Seems fun. I'm probably not going to play through it myself, as I'll have seen everything once already (well, at least most of it). The combat was a little frustrating for her at first, but she's kind of a noob at videogames in general, so that's to be expected. Once she got the hang of it, there's little threat to any of the random encounters and boss battles seem kind of easy to be honest (I was disappointed about this, she thinks it's awesome).

75%+ of the game is running around doing non-combat related stuff. There are definitely some kiddy-type aspects to the game (you get a puppy, you're taking classes, etc) but overall it's handled well enough that it's very enjoyable. Some of the missions are frustrating (at one point you're cleaning crumpled up papers off of a tennis court with a timelimit, my fiance literally hurled the nunchuck at the screen after failing for the umpteenth time forgetting that it was attached to the thing in her other hand), but that's to be expected from this sort of game.

Overall, I'd give it an 8/10. My fiance, if she could pry herself away from it, would probably go 9 or 10 out of 10.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can't use the nun-chuck without it being plugged into the Wii-mote, which means I have to kill Wii-mote batteries when I'm not even using it. That's pretty damn balls to me.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You can't use the nun-chuck without it being plugged into the Wii-mote, which means I have to kill Wii-mote batteries when I'm not even using it. That's pretty damn balls to me.
    You were hoping the nunchuck would power itself?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man I love the idea of playing slower paced games (mostly RPGs) with one hand. I did this for FE:RD. I think they should have used the remote only though.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just learned about this game a minute ago while reading up on Baroque, which is awesome too.

This game just looks like it is constantly fun. Not bursts of intense fun but just a steady, consistent good time.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    You were hoping the nunchuck would power itself?

With the power of imagination and fun!

Fireflash on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ok, define longshot:

I know I'm one of about a half-dozen people here who has seen the game actually being played, but I've got a question for everyone else here who has (sblocked for potential Star License spoilers);
    How the frack do you get a Star License? I know about the Mira/Sweeper mission way, but apparently that's too hard (see my earlier post). There's supposed to be a woman named Nikita and a kid who watches too much TV who give it out too, as well as the ukulele guy. We've tried the ukulele guy, but it's not panning out. Does anybody know where to find either of the other two (Nikita or the Kid)? Thanks in advance.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, I've been reading mixed reviews of this, and I am pretty interested in it.

Does it compare to Earthbound at all?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png