As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Solicitations for July 2008 (Preview)

wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Graphic Violence
I'm back from vacation, just in time for new solicits from Marvel! I'll post the full solicits when they're posted tomorrow.

From Newsarama:
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/July2008/solicitations.html

EDIT: Holy fuck, why is Iron Fist getting a new creative team?

From CBR, the X solicits:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=15975

From IGN, Secret Invasion Solicits:
http://comics.ign.com/articles/866/866422p1.html

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
wwtMask on

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Because X-Men and Iron Man are bigger brands.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yup, but the new creative team actually looks pretty decent. not as good as bru/fraction/aja, but still not too bad.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited April 2008
    holy fuck is that The Professor Hulk?!?!
    ff_559.jpg

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, what the hell is up with newuniversal? Are they going to finish the series they started? Or are they just going to pretend it never existed, and start up this new "newuniversal: shockfront" series? Man, I mean I love Ellis and all, but try to focus a little bit, guy.

Delduwath on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh dear Lord, if the Prof. Hulk shows up can my dreams of seeing Joe Fixit again come true?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh god Mask, I forgot you weren't here for the announcement
    Issue 16 is the current team's last issue. Fraction is writing the whole thing by himself, and throwing out some huge twist that the new team is going to be running with.
    EDIT: Ten bucks says there's something about Iron Fists dying at the age of 33 in that arc.
    Ten bucks

Me Too! on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Delduwath, Shockfront is the follow up to the first Newuniversal series.

The change up with Iron Fist kinda threw me for a loop. I mean, the next guys had better be good, because Bru/Fraction/Aja are a hard act to follow.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Delduwath, Shockfront is the follow up to the first Newuniversal series.

Right, I mean I figured as much, but did they actually conclude the first newuniversal?

Alright, so I just looked at Wikipedia, and it says the Shockfront is basically Season 2 of newuniversal. And now that I think about it, I suppose the first series did sort of end (even though it wasn't what I would call a "conclusion"). It's been a while since I read it, I should go and re-read.

I guess I just assumed that - since "season 1" ended on what I feel is a cliffhanger - more issues were coming that would at least bring about a climax. And then there were no issues, and no word on when there'd be more. And then Ellis started writing like 50 new series for Avatar. And then this thing was announced, with a subtitle (which made me think it was a spin-off). But from what I can tell, it's supposed to be just a straight-up continuation. So uh, I guess everybody wins? Hurray?

Delduwath on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Look at those IIM covers
    inv_im_3_variant.jpginv_im_3.jpg

Anyone with good Photoshop skills make me a sig with the Iron Man flying with the missiles?

smokmnky on
    edited April 2008
    Added the X solicits from CBR.

wwtMask on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Love that Cable baby armor. :lol:

DMAC on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oooooo Squadron Supreme 2 #1, with real live Ultimate Power repercussions!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Oh wait, do people hate Chaykin? That name seems chillingly familiar...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    He's an awful artist, but he's a pretty good writer.

Also, Wiggin IF's can't die at 33, look at Orson Randall.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited April 2008
    Added Secret Invasion solicits.

wwtMask on
    edited April 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Look at those IIM covers
    inv_im_3_variant.jpginv_im_3.jpg

Anyone with good Photoshop skills make me a sig with the Iron Man flying with the missiles?

give me a few days(possibly until the weekend). im really busy, but this is just the type of thing i need to start doing to buff up on my photoshop skills.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Love The Initative's solicit.
    IGN wrote:
    "The Only Good Skrull..."
    With the NEW AVENGERS and the MIGHTY AVENGERS trapped in the Savage Land, it's up to the AVENGERS INITIATIVE to face off against the first major strike of the Skrull Invasion! There, on the field of battle, the cadet with the biggest secret has to choose how red (or green) his blood really is. Heroes will fall. Heroes will die. And one shall rise. All THIS and: A new cowardly low for ANT-MAN! A new danger for WAR MACHINE! And 3-D MAN gains a "killer" new "krew"!

Owenashi on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks like ten SI issues total for me in July. I may flip through Black Panther and SKRULLS!

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there some new law that requires every new X cover to include all the dead X-men? Is it such a joke now they include it for giggles or are they just trying to lull us into a false sense of "they aren't coming back" so they can in fact bring them back (the dead that is)?

Either way Fraction on an Xbook can promise only one thing. A shortage of pants.

Caveman Paws on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Doc Banner? Colour me green with intrigued.

And it looks like Angel's blue again.

Synthetic Orange on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »

I think it is typical for Iron Fists to die by their 30s. Orson did run away from the legacy and pretty much everything except whores and opium after WWI for an unspecified amount of time before adventuring with the Confederates of the Curious.

DouglasDanger on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there some new law that requires every new X cover to include all the dead X-men? Is it such a joke now they include it for giggles or are they just trying to lull us into a false sense of "they aren't coming back" so they can in fact bring them back (the dead that is)?

Either way Fraction on an Xbook can promise only one thing. A shortage of pants.

It's only been the milestone issues, X-Men hitting #200 and Uncanny hitting #500 are big deals and traditionally big milestone issues have covers like that.

Have you seen the ASM #500 cover? It probably has every Spidey character ever on it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited April 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »

Love The Initative's solicit.
    IGN wrote:
    "The Only Good Skrull..."
    With the NEW AVENGERS and the MIGHTY AVENGERS trapped in the Savage Land, it's up to the AVENGERS INITIATIVE to face off against the first major strike of the Skrull Invasion! There, on the field of battle, the cadet with the biggest secret has to choose how red (or green) his blood really is. Heroes will fall. Heroes will die. And one shall rise. All THIS and: A new cowardly low for ANT-MAN! A new danger for WAR MACHINE! And 3-D MAN gains a "killer" new "krew"!

HOLY FUCK SKRULL KILL KREW

HOLY FUCK

HOLY FUCK

HOLY FUCK

Whippy on
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    oh fucking dammit

Greg Land's on Uncanny X-Men?

fuck

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    that baby armor is the best thing.

Angry on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »

Pretty sure that the birthday issue coming up is Danny's 33rd
    And there's supposed to be some big reveal
    And I could've sworn I read something about Iron Fists getting fucked at 33, and Orson is the one exception

Not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying it so that I could possibly say "I told you so"

Me Too! on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    that baby armor is the best thing.

cable.jpg

DMAC on
    edited April 2008
    I love it! Although that hole in the middle looks a touch vulnerable compared to the rest of it...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    But that's where the laser bolt shoots from.

Wildcat on
  • JoJoHoraHoraJoJoHoraHora ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ah, happy frog. Can't unsee it. :)

JoJoHoraHora on
    steam_sig.png
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    marvels-skrulls-in-july-20080414025339986.jpg

Desktop Hippie on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That pretty much sums up everything I think I know about Ms. Marvel while also being a rockin' cover.

It's kind of weird to me, now that I think about it - as far as Badass American Supersoldiers go,

Captain America: Fuck yeah!

Ms. Marvel: Fuck no!

Probably something inherently sexist about my thought process there.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    New Cap fought the U.S. for longer than Carol has served it in the military, NASA, Avengers, etc.

I don't know why it took so long, but it just occurs to me that the Ms. Marvel solicits have confirmed that the Ms. Marvel in the Savage Land isn't Carol.

Anyway, Jesus Christ... Why do I even bother trying to like her when they can't even do a cover of her as G.I. Jane without her showing her tits?

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2008
    Guys, you're all overlooking the most significant SI solicitation:
    marvels-skrulls-in-july-20080414025330580.jpg

Seriously, that's going to be great.

wwtMask on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh heck yeah.

Wildcat on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Too bad that version of the Power Pack isn't in-continuity. The Marvel Universe proper only has Julie Power, and apart from suddenly being gay there isn't much to that character right now.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What happened to the other three members? Didn't Julie used to swap powers with her brother in New Warriors a while back?

ZombieAsuma on
    edited April 2008
    I fail to see how showing boobs is a negative aspect to a comic cover. But as you are all aware I am not a good or moral person. So my opinion is a bit different.

ZombieAsuma on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ms. Marvel is awesome people that don't like her are the oppisite of awesome.

also, SA - Land is unfortunatley on Uncanny but he's at least only doing every other arc. (rotating with Terry Dodson)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    I like her just fine. Although I did miss a big chunk of the series in the middle. I've got 1-8 and then 22-25 I'm assuming all that stuff in-between is trade available. So it looks like most of the X-Men are sorta getting new costumes. Colossus' suit is all new and everybody else at least is getting different belts and red X logos.

ZombieAsuma on