As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Solicitations for July 2008: We've got a fifth-week event!

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    haha oh god G'nort

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Interesting if he manages to cover immigration without turning the book into a soapbox.

This.

I'm innately suspicious of all attempts to tackle "REAL ISSUES OF THE MODERN DAY" as they typically end up being just that, soap boxy. If my Blue Beetles gets soap boxy I will be a saaaad panda.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Empress? Seriously? She was not a very good character.
    ahahahahahahfuckyou

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    i really hope empress fucks supergirl's shit up during the obligatory fight scene

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    all voodoo an shit

I hope there's a scene with her parents

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd rather see Secret, Slobo, or Arrowette, in that order. Or bring back the Wonder Girl we liked.

But then, since it's Supergirl, I suppose it's better for it to be Empress.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Slobo is 1000000 years in the future

Secret is the new Spoiler (if me and keith are to be believed)

Arrowette was in wonder girl for some background panels so yeah

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah seriously just because she was in Young Justice doesn't make here a good character guys.

Pretty much everyone else there was more interesting than her.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I disagree with you kind sir

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So, the Will Pfeifer era on BLUE BEETLE didn't last long:
    BLUE BEETLE #29
    Written by Matthew Sturges
    Art and cover by Rafael Albuquerque
    New series writer Matthew Sturges (JACK OF FABLES, HOUSE OF MYSTERY) comes aboard to kick off “Boundaries,” with returning series artist Rafael Albuquerque! As Blue Beetle struggles to establish himself as the protector of El Paso and Cuidad Juarez, he finds himself thrown into the heart of the immigration struggle, made all the more complicated by the involvement of Intergang — and another, more mysterious, figure. Coming at you straight outta Texas, Sturges takes our hero into new territory as Beetle works out his responsibilities as both a hero in the DC Universe and a citizen of a border town.
    On sale July 30 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
    This is...not the most impressive gig around.

You'd better not fuck the book up , new writer guy.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    loriloughlin1wy3.jpgpicture1gc0.png

I noticed this and then remembered Lori Loughlin played Black Canary on the awful Birds of Prey show

that's weird

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Secret is the new Spoiler (if me and keith are to be believed)

I could buy that.

(if you're wrong I'll cut you)

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That'd actually be awesome

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It doesn't really make sense to me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    i saw that some people on scans_daily think it might be secret, too

i totally came up with it first, though

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, I guess it could work.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't get excited since Beechen's writing it

but I'm still excited

Well um

At least the cover is nice?

Maybe we'll get Good Beechen or at least Kind of Mediocre Beechen as opposed to Horrible Character-Destroying Beechen. I think I've set my hopes too high already.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anybody seen the solicit for FINAL CRISIS: REQUIEM yet? Any idea who they're talking about?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    J'onn, probably

Rans on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    J'onn, probably

i hope not, doug mahnke's J'onn in the Black Adam series was so awful looking

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow I can finally buy trades of Invasion and Millenium. That makes me happy considering it was hard for me to find all the back issues of it when I was searching before.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wow I can finally buy trades of Invasion and Millenium. That makes me happy considering it was hard for me to find all the back issues of it when I was searching before.

Are they good?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well I've only read the Cosmic Boy tie-in mini, the Booster Gold crossover issues, and issues 2-3, & 5 of Millenium and book 2 of Invasion with some tie-ins but I actually liked them. There are some cool fight scenes and I did not realize that Todd McFarlane used to draw for DC in the 80's until I read them.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Keith, Mahnke also illustrated the Martian Manhunter issue where Booster and Beetle stole J'onn's Chocos. Which is the best single issue featuring J'onn in anything ever. So watch it mister.

Anyways, lots of borderline interesting things in these solicits. It's like DC keeps giving me two scoops of ice cream, but one of them's actually shit.

"Hey, you wanna see Empress in a starring role again? You can, but it's in Supergirl. Hey, wanna read a new Batgirl series? Okay, but it's by Adam Beechen. Interested in a Blue Beetle not written by Will Pfeiffer? Because we've got one by the guy that got Shadowpact canceled, and it's about immigration. Oh, and this issue of Atom that has Ray and Ryan beating up bad guys together? Yeah, it's the last one, so enjoy it."

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »

Keith, Mahnke also illustrated the Martian Manhunter issue where Booster and Beetle stole J'onn's Chocos. Which is the best single issue featuring J'onn in anything ever. So watch it mister.

Anyways, lots of borderline interesting things in these solicits. It's like DC keeps giving me two scoops of ice cream, but one of them's actually shit.

"Hey, you wanna see Empress in a starring role again? You can, but it's in Supergirl. Hey, wanna read a new Batgirl series? Okay, but it's by Adam Beechen. Interested in a Blue Beetle not written by Will Pfeiffer? Because we've got one by the guy that got Shadowpact canceled, and it's about immigration. Oh, and this issue of Atom that has Ray and Ryan beating up bad guys together? Yeah, it's the last one, so enjoy it."

It's like someone found one of those really mean genies from the Twilight Zone.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    titi_cv6_solicit.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    D'awww..

Let me also say that I'm really annoyed by the Teen Titans solicit promoting Blue Beetle and Red Devil as the "Red and Blue," and likening them to the classic Blue and Gold team of Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. It seems like a really cold, corporate attempt to cash in on something that the fandom built. Kind of like X-Men 3 throwing in that, "I'm the Juggernaut bitch!" catchphrase, or Snakes on a Plane's, "I want these motherfuckin' snakes off this motherfuckin' plane!" Or any time something that's been kind of insular and close-knit is picked up on by a big corporation and has all the things that made it cool stripped out and replaced by generic shit, so it can be more easily marketed to a wider demographic.

Munch on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

He also drew a fucking kickass J'onn during his JLA stint with Joe Kelly.

Trial by Fire was the last great J'onn story.

edit: But yeah, the new costume seemed to throw Mahnke off his game in Black Adam.

Rans on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    D'awww..

Let me also say that I'm really annoyed by the Teen Titans solicit promoting Blue Beetle and Red Devil as the "Red and Blue," and likening them to the classic Blue and Gold team of Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. It seems like a really cold, corporate attempt to cash in on something that the fandom built. Kind of like X-Men 3 throwing in that, "I'm the Juggernaut bitch!" catchphrase, or Snakes on a Plane's, "I want these motherfuckin' snakes off this motherfuckin' plane!" Or any time something that's been kind of insular and close-knit is picked up on by a big corporation and has all the things that made it cool stripped out and replaced by generic shit, so it can be more easily marketed to a wider demographic.

Or it could just be as simple as "Hey, both of these characters have colors in their names! Let's put them together!"

I'm sure the logic for teaming up Green Arrow and Green Lantern wasn't any deeper than that either.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

that's not j'onn in his new costume so

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    D'awww..

Uh

Blue and Gold isn't really too big of a creation. They each have it in their damn names.

Red and Blue isn't too much of a stretch either.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    who else here is happy that they're re-printing Heavy Liquid?

I am god damn ecstatic.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    AMERICA’S BEST COMICS PRIMER TP
    Written by Alan Moore and Steve Moore
    Art by Chris Sprouse, J.H. Williams III, Gene Ha, Rick Veitch, Kevin Nowlan and others
    Cover by Chris Sprouse & Karl Story
    A special trade paperback priced at just $4.99! Featuring the writing talents of Alan Moore, this volume collects TOM STRONG #1, PROMETHEA #1, TOP 10 #1, TOMORROW STORIES #1 and TOM STRONG’S TERRIFIC TALES #1, with tales of Jack B. Quick, Greyshirt, First American, Jonni Future, Cobweb and Splash Brannigan.
    Advance-solicited, on sale August 20 • 168 pg, FC, $4.99 US

That's a hell of a deal for $4.99. The only "downside" is that it'll make you want to read all of the ABC books if you haven't already.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    yeah i'm also excited about that

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Uh

Blue and Gold isn't really too big of a creation. They each have it in their damn names.

Red and Blue isn't too much of a stretch either.

"Blue and Gold," was something that letter-writing fans came up with during the JLI days because they noticed, "Hey, these Booster Gold and Blue Beetle guys hang out a lot and are really neat together," so they coined the phrase. Was it some huge creative endeavor? Of course not. But it was something the fans coined and embraced. It'd be different if Titans had Beetle and Devil hanging out, playing off each other well, etc. and the fans embraced that dynamic.

But it comes across to me just as cheesy as if someone stuck two heroes together on a road trip and said, "Whoa-ho-ho! Look at the hard travelin' heroes!" Or putting three characters together and calling them the Trinity. It seems really artificial.

I'm sure it's just DC's marketing department trying to come up with a clever hook for the issue, but I had an eyeroll moment when I read the solicit.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The solicits are always eyeroll inducing. Can you imagine having to make every issue of every title sound like the most exciting thing ever?

DMAC on
  • Options
    Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just wonder how it's going to be an "instant buddy classic" when Kid Devil has been pretty much the exact opposite of lighthearted and fun ever since McKeever took over, with Blue Beetle being one of the reasons for his constant angst.

Darth Nat on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    D'awww..

I would have preferred Peacemaker keeping his Mitchell Black alias in Blue Beetle. At least "Black and Blue" with his tendency to blow stuff up and Jaime having an arsenal at his disposal would have fit better.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Darth Nat wrote: »
    I just wonder how it's going to be an "instant buddy classic" when Kid Devil has been pretty much the exact opposite of lighthearted and fun ever since McKeever took over, with Blue Beetle being one of the reasons for his constant angst.
    Well the other reason is his abject stupidity, so maybe he'll forget

Fencingsax on