As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil is Resident for the 4th time...(April 10th interview)

ScottyScotty Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
ER... 5th time..sorry.

RESIDENT EVIL 5
resident-evil-5-details-emerge.jpg

What we know...(courtesy of IGN)

Produced by series veteran Jun Takeuchi, this next-generation follow-up to the terrifying series introduces the theme of escape as its core survival instinct. As Chris Redfield (former S.T.A.R.S. member and now part of the BSAA unit), your life is in danger as you strive to complete your most dangerous mission yet in a sweltering desert colony where a new breed of evil has been unleashed. Swarms of marauding evil beings will charge at you when your pulse is racing at a heart-shattering pace. Environments will play a bigger factor than ever here, using the power of next-gen systems to create a world where terror might lurk in any alcove or shadow. Powerful lighting effects overwhelm the player with mirage movement and blinding brilliance, and even in the light of day, there is no safe haven in this Resident Evil.

It's been a while, and I was thinking that there had to be some news of ANY kind on this game and where it's at, well there is this interview for those who haven't seen it...

Lighting wows, and moody piano music in abundance.
http://blog.capcom.com/archives/1116

So lighting will make the game scarier...sounds good to me.

Axe-waving parties galore...you get to break up the festivities with hot lead!
621.x600.timein.res_evil.open.jpg

Uh oh, he's got that look in his eye...
trailerre5xblmp00300012_2.jpg

Oh shit!
trailerre5xblmp0100012_2.jpg

So can we ponder this game together?
trailerre5xblmp0050002_2.jpg

Scotty on

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Was there any actual controversy over the "White Guy" shooting "Black Guys" initial release teasers/screenshots or was that just a bunch of people here going ZOMG racist.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    oh my god main character looks like king douche

Houk the Namebringer on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm pretty sure nobody here actually believed that, but there was a collective sigh as we realised that somebody in the media somewhere will probably try to make a big deal out of it.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rock Band came close to stealing it, but RE4 is still my favorite game of all time.

I remain optimistic that RE5 will best it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i am playing this game with the sole intention of learning how to kill black people

Nuzak on
    edited April 2008
    they are after my essence i can tell it from that look in their eyes

Nuzak on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    N'Gai Croal had a bit of a rant about how everyone was ignoring the racism if I remember rightly.

EDIT: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/04/10/newsweeks-ngai-croal-on-the-resident-evil-5-trailer-this-imagery-has-a-history/

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited April 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure nobody here actually believed that, but there was a collective sigh as we realised that somebody in the media somewhere will probably try to make a big deal out of it.

That probably was it, I dont recall anything in the mainstream media but I can see it happening when it gets more exposure to people other than gamers.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I hope I have one of the systems this game is for by when it comes out.

Also, spooky looking blonde at end of the original trailer who may or may not be Sherry.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We've all read the racism rants online, but I would think that the shooting of children in the game would be a bigger deal. We haven't had that before have we?

res_evil_51.jpg

Scotty on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Chris Redfield?

Time to kick ass and find random girls to play piano for me.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Let's not talk about any of this ridiculous faux controversy for controversys sake and talk about how bitchin it will be shootin up zombies.

Also, where the hell did Chris get those guns from? Falcon punching his way through the hordes should be awesome.

The_Scarab on
    edited April 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    N'Gai Croal had a bit of a rant about how everyone was ignoring the racism if I remember rightly.

he was actually quite balanced, his main point was that the image of a white dude going into some shanty town and shooting all the blacks is still an image with a lot of racially charged history and you can'y just wave it away

loads of sites cherry picked his quotes to make him sound like a tool

Nuzak on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wonder why nobody flipped out when you shot Spanish-speaking people in RE4? After all, it could be interpreted as a "speak English, dammit!" person's wet dream...
    ...if you're on crack.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What the heck? He just threw those papers all over the FLOOR!

He's reckless! RECKLESS I TELL YOU!

subedii on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The US release will have a non-white replaced Chris Redfield, for both the 3D model and voice files. There is no other way they're going to get this released in the US.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
    edited April 2008
    Scotty wrote: »
    We've all read the racism rants online, but I would think that the shooting of children in the game would be a bigger deal. We haven't had that before have we?

res_evil_51.jpg

Oooh children shooting, not since Fallout 2 has my hunger for murdering kids been slaked. It needs a good slaking.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

he was actually quite balanced, his main point was that the image of a white dude going into some shanty town and shooting all the blacks is still an image with a lot of racially charged history and you can'y just wave it away

Yes you can when they are zombies.

I read his entire article, in detail, and I got the impression he was one of those people looking for racism when there is none.

Go read Shawn Elliots gfw blog where he explains the situation vastly better than n'gai.

The_Scarab on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It would've all been okay if Claire had been the protagonist, but nooo, they had to go with Chris again.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2008

loads of sites cherry picked his quotes to make him sound like a tool

Yeah. I also agree with him a little about Cole. When I first played Gears of War I just couldn't help thinking "Man, this guy practically walked straight out of a blacksploitation flick."

subedii on
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I read his entire article, in detail, and I got the impression he was one of those people looking for racism when there is none.

Go read Shawn Elliots gfw blog where he explains the situation vastly better than n'gai.

I am not familiar with him, can I get a link?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2008
    darkmayo wrote: »

I am not familiar with him, can I get a link?

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=4551247

subedii on
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Resident Evil 4 is one of my favourite games ever.

I might go next-gen just to get this game.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If they really nail the lighting, the way Capcom is saying they can...I expect to walk into a dark area, and as my eyes adjust I see about 10 "zombies" that I didn't know were there standing around me ready to kick my ass. I want to have some almost Silent Hill-like moments where I just about pee from shock.

Scotty on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What do you mean, "those people"?

Houk the Namebringer on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

No offense, but... you're in Europe.

This is still a VERY touchy subject in the U.S.

Also, I can see where people would flip out. These folk don't LOOK like zombies, so your knee-jerk reactionary can go "you're shooting up innocent black people derp de derp" and you couldn't immediately call him an idiot without going into game details he would ignore. Whereas rotting flesh is a dead giveaway.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited April 2008
    Houk wrote: »

250px-3AJD10Franklin.jpg

That better not mean what I think it means!

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2008

I just feel sometimes racism is propagated by those supposedly being offended in the first place.

The vast majority of people just see 'Chris Redfield shooting zombies'

A minority see 'Chris Redfield shooting black people'

Kinda annoying. the awful homogenization of spanish, mexican and european cultures in Resi 4 is arguably more offensive.

The_Scarab on
    edited April 2008
    Particualr point of interest from Shawn Elliots blog:
    While I would be surprised if RE5 does not include a few black NPCs who fill sympathetic supporting roles fleshed out in non-interactive cutscenes, I'm not counting on in-game villagers to flee their zombified and cannibalistic former neighbors.

That's largely what I'm expecting to be honest. RE4 had Louis Sera, who was the cool Spanish hero, and showed that not all these guys were out to get you but were just victims of something else. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing here.

I would also like to seem him done as Samuel L Jackson, because Samuel L Jackson is frigging cool. :mrgreen:

subedii on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    While I would be surprised if RE5 does not include a few black NPCs who fill sympathetic supporting roles fleshed out in non-interactive cutscenes, I'm not counting on in-game villagers to flee their zombified and cannibalistic former neighbors.

That's largely what I'm expecting to be honest. RE4 had Louis Sera, who was the cool Spanish hero, and showed that not all these guys were out to get you but were just victims of something else. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing here.

I would also like to seem him done as Samuel L Jackson, because Samuel L Jackson is frigging cool. :mrgreen:

But Luis got a tentacle through the abdomen. What sort grisly, predictable death can I expect for my token black buddy?

Feels Good Man on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lightningy elements eh? I can see it now. You walk into a dark house in the middle of the night, the house appears to be empty; but then again you cant really see much. When all of a sudden...LIGHTNING! and teh in the corner for a split second you see a gandos in the corner and as soon as its dark he runs for you! and then you shit yourself.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    There is no way Children will make release.

I can't believe it

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    But Luis got a tentacle through the abdomen. What sort grisly, predictable death can I expect for my token black buddy?

SPOOOIIIIILLERRRRSSS

er, I mean

LUUUIIIISSSSSS

or wait, what I meant was

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE

Captain K on
    edited April 2008
    haha the miiiiiike bit was so badass.

resi 4 is going to be so hard to top. i mean, it just had fuckawesome pouring out of every orifice.

The_Scarab on
    edited April 2008

Probably a missed QTE.

subedii on
    edited April 2008

I just feel sometimes racism is propagated by those supposedly being offended in the first place.

The vast majority of people just see 'Chris Redfield shooting zombies'

A minority see 'Chris Redfield shooting black people'

Kinda annoying. the awful homogenization of spanish, mexican and european cultures in Resi 4 is arguably more offensive.
    Yeah. I knew what you meant. It was a joke meant to twist your words to seem unintentionally racist. Topical humor, what what.

And the vast majority of people certainly don't see Chris Redfield either way. Plus, as was mentioned, at first glance these aren't obviously zombies. Of course, an informed viewer might not feel offended. But then, since when are most people informed about anything they think is bad.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited April 2008
    I bet he'll die like the one in Night of the Living Dead does.

"He wasn't a zombie?"

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2008
    resi 4 is going to be so hard to top. i mean, it just had fuckawesome pouring out of every orifice.

That's part of the reason why I'm sceptical of 5 to be honest. Different lead designer, and IIRC a different crew as well.

subedii on
    edited April 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    There is no way Children will make release.

I can't believe it

I'm really, really hoping it does. It pisses me off that in games like this (and to a much larger extent, GTAIV) you won't see kids or animals running around.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

That's part of the reason why I'm sceptical of 5 to be honest. Different lead designer, and IIRC a different crew as well.

Well, from the gameplay videos they atleast seem to be following the overall RE4 engine. That is a good thing, because I love RE4 but cannot stand the previous REs, whatsoever.

Feels Good Man on