As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Evil is Resident for the 4th time...(April 10th interview)

• Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    There is no way Children will make release.

I can't believe it

I'm really, really hoping it does. It pisses me off that in games like this (and to a much larger extent, GTAIV) you won't see kids or animals running around.

Do you really think it's important to be able to kill kids and animals?

I mean, I can see your point a little bit, but how much does it really matter to you?

Captain K on
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, the blood pouring out of eyes effect reminded me of the Rage virus in 28 Weeks/days later.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Captain K wrote: »

I can't believe it

I'm really, really hoping it does. It pisses me off that in games like this (and to a much larger extent, GTAIV) you won't see kids or animals running around.

I mean, I can see your point a little bit, but how much does it really matter to you?

Some people are still bitter over the whole Little Sisters thing in Bioshock, I think. I doubt being able to kill children is that important to him but honestly not seeing kids around in videogames can be kind of weird.

Feels Good Man on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm a bit sad you're not Leon again. Fucking loved RE4.

And how are they going to top the overtop one liners of RE4. I actually grinned like an idiot when Luis said "Its game time" at the cabin.

Oh and don't get me started on "You're small time". It was that awesome. As you can tell, i'm a sucker for this kind of crap.

Karl on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It would be awesome to terrorize children in GTA.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I can't believe it

You see animals in games like this. Usually rabid dogs and things. There were certainly infected dogs in most / all of the RE games to date.

As for kids, well, who cares? Seriously? It's not some sort of major gameplay impediment if they're not there. And if we're going by zombie movie mythos here, you rarely see children or babies in zombie movies either.

I have to agree with arod, there's no way I can see them releasing a game where you bloodily shoot down kids, even if they're infected. You think White Man versus Black villagers in Africa would raise a crapstorm, ho BOY that's nothing compared to what you'd see with that.

subedii on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I read his entire article, in detail, and I got the impression he was one of those people looking for racism when there is none.
    What do you mean, "those people"?

I just feel sometimes racism is propagated by those supposedly being offended in the first place.

The vast majority of people just see 'Chris Redfield shooting zombies'

A minority see 'Chris Redfield shooting black people'

Kinda annoying. the awful homogenization of spanish, mexican and european cultures in Resi 4 is arguably more offensive.

I knew the context of the game, I knew they were zombies/something not human anymore but the imagery made me a little uneasy and I thought to myself.. yea there is going to be some serious controversy over this game. I still think that too. We have went from quite obviously zombies, slow moving, rotting humans to kinda sickly looking yet intellegent spaniards, to crazy eyed looking intellegent africans.

I forsee some shit hitting the fan.

Other than that, it looks pretty effin sweet.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Since when does African = African American? Completely different cultures, etc.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No matter what...I think an M rating is pretty much a given with this one.

Scotty on
    edited April 2008
    Key question is, when Chris shoves someone off him, and then moves in to attack, do you hear him shout "FAALLLCOOONN... PUNCH!"

subedii on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    See if this were on the Wii you could have a Captain Falcon unlockable costume.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I can't believe it

Not saying they have to make them killable. Just have them be there. Guns won't fire when targeting them. Resistant to splash damage. If they happen to be near their parents when a rocket goes off, they just stand there crying.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2008
    Karl wrote: »

And how are they going to top the overtop one liners of RE4. I actually grinned like an idiot when Luis said "Its game time" at the cabin.

Oh and don't get me started on "You're small time". It was that awesome. As you can tell, i'm a sucker for this kind of crap.

You're right hand comes off?

UnbreakableVow on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I can't believe it

Some people are still bitter over the whole Little Sisters thing in Bioshock, I think.

Don't forget taking out the ability to kill kids in Fable!
    Because I won't, Peter.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I can't believe it

Not saying they have to make them killable. Just have them be there. Guns won't fire when targeting them. Resistant to splash damage. If they happen to be near their parents when a rocket goes off, they just stand there crying.

I think that's worse personally. Having children there for realism, but then having them invulnerable to harm is just silly.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited April 2008
    Rami wrote: »

I can't believe it

I think that's worse personally. Having children there for realism, but then having them invulnerable to harm is just silly.

I was just compromising.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is anyone worried that this will just be a new gen rehash of Resi 4?

I mean the similarities so far are quite clear.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited April 2008

I can't believe it

You see, to me that would be even more ridiculous. They're infected but they're just supposed to stand there and watch, and nothing can damage them for some reason. And second, and more importantly, you showcase a dude shooting people IN FRONT OF HIS CRYING CHILDREN, then even I would feel queasy about that. As if the imagery wasn't powerful enough without that, you put in something like that, then frankly I have little doubt it would have a hard time even getting released.

subedii on
    edited April 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »

This has crossed my mind, but I've been completely fine with the PS2 and Wii rehashes of RE4. A next-gen one (with Achievements) I feel can only be better.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2008

I gotta ask...how is that a bad thing?

I think this one might actually be scary to a degree...whereas RE 4 was not.

Scotty on
    edited April 2008
    Honestly, I would wager that this draws far closer comparisons to South African apartheid than it ever will any American issue.

Sagroth on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Eh, might just me being European here but I really don't see what the big deal is. RE has already visited both the Americas ( Gogo Reggie ) and Europe, hopefully RE 6 will be nicknamed the China Syndrome and feature the greatest evil there ever was, commie-zombies.

Confooorm, braaain, niii haaaao.

My only wish for the game is that it keeps the gameplay and awesomeness of RE4, minus the merchant. He needs to die.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you don't think this won't be controversial you're kidding yourself.

Because this has happened before. With Hatians, no less.

Back in GTA: Vice City, there was a mission that had you killing members of a Hatian gang. The message displayed on the screen was "kill all Hatians!"

...now, in context. It made sense. You got involved in a gang war that had you going after a specific gang of people who were Hatian, not ALL Hatians. And you weren't going after them because they were Hatians, you were going after them because they opposed your group. Furthermore, these Hatians were bad people, who killed folk and sold drugs and kicked puppies and such. They deserved to be taken down.

In context, it made perfect sense and wasn't racist, especially since you shot people of ALL ethnicities in GTA.

But did non-gamers care about context? Nope. It was "kill all Hatians." And Rockstar was forced to change it.

I predict this will go the same way. People who don't know what Resident Evil is (i.e., most people who don't play video games) will just see you shooting black people. And since they don't LOOK like zombies (and since the game will likely hide the origin of their not-zombiness), the context will be lost on most people who react negatively.

In other words, if "but they're a gang!" won't fly, then "but they're not-zombies!" won't fly either.

I'm not looking forward to this. (By which I mean the controversy. The game looks groovy.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited April 2008
    Karl wrote: »

You're right hand comes off?

"Ok, I have one, very important question. You got a smoke?"

"I got gum"

subedii on
    edited April 2008
    Scotty wrote: »

I suppose we're still at a stage where people are ravenous for more of a similar type. I just don't want Capcom slipping back into their comfortable shoes and not moving things forward again.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't say I've ever met Haitians who sell drugs. They all seem like pretty cool people.

Vice City did take place in SoFla, though, so it wasn't exactly unrealistic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2008

I suppose we're still at a stage where people are ravenous for more of a similar type. I just don't want Capcom slipping back into their comfortable shoes and not moving things forward again.

Understood.

Scotty on
    edited April 2008

Considering there've been at least 3 iterations of RE4 that have all sold well, I'd wager a game in the same formula by the same company will do just fine.

And hell, it's a better formula(when it comes to controls) than RE's previous one(and that last 4 games).

Sagroth on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I can't say I've ever met Haitians who sell drugs. They all seem like pretty cool people.

Vice City did take place in SoFla, though, so it wasn't exactly unrealistic.

Exactly! But that didn't calm the controversy, ultimately.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The lightness/darkness aspect is supposed to play a huge role in the gameplay, and it among other factors are supposed to affect your character's 'fear factor' of sorts which is somehow supposed to affect the character's status. The light/dark is supposed to affect visibility, too.

I d'no. It sounds like RE4 with a major twist revolving around the light/dark mechanic.

slash000 on
    edited April 2008
    The only other game I've heard of with a "fear factor" was Fear Effect.

And FE1 and 2 were both fucking awesome.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

The lightness/darkness aspect is supposed to play a huge role in the gameplay, and it among other factors are supposed to affect your character's 'fear factor' of sorts which is somehow supposed to affect the character's status. The light/dark is supposed to affect visibility, too.

I d'no. It sounds like RE4 with a major twist revolving around the light/dark mechanic.

Chris Redfield: Scared of the dark

subedii on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Haunting Ground had something like that which was crazy intense.

Maybe RE5's building on that? (It was also a Capcom game)

And it's still a major crime that FE3 got cancelled.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2008
    I suppose that since there has only been one game in this style so far that this new formula has got some miles left in it at the moment.

Also I'm glad to see one of the original Resies back in this one but then I remember that Chris Redfield is the most vanilla of video game action heroes. I would be a bit disappointed but they had Leon in the last one so I'm satisfied.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited April 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Haunting Ground had something like that which was crazy intense.

Maybe RE5's building on that? (It was also a Capcom game)

And it's still a major crime that FE3 got cancelled.

Anything along the lines of some of Eternal Darkness' crazy in the head effects would be nifty too.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

edited April 2008
    Nah, I don't want RE to go down the insanity route. Leave that to Silent Hill.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2008
    To be fair, if Chris was gonna go crazy and stuff he would've done it a couple tyrants ago.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

• slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I rewatched the interview from re5 producer Takeuchi.

In addition to gameplay changes revolving light/dark visibility, they are also adding variables affecting gameplay related to weather and the passage of time and some other things.

as far as 'light/dark,' When you're in a bright place, it's very difficult to see into the shadow. Your pupil contracts when there is a lot of light. So it's hard to see when you suddently enter a dark place. Upon entering, you take a few seconds for your eyes to adjust so you can see. This mechanic is part of the gameplay in that it "escalates the player's fear of the darkness."

He says that with just having the RE4 system would be " a letdown for fans."

but he goes into no detail.

He also says there's more variety to the type of 'action button' sequences from RE4.

as far as the 'fear' thing, I could've sworn I read something about the player's status, like heart rate, being affected somehow.

edit: OK it's not a 'fear' factor, it's a 'physical / status' factor affected by the light/dark but has other effects:

edit, here's what I read:
    What is known is that temperature will play an important role in the game, with characters having to cool down if they get too sweaty - even getting heatstroke or passing out from overheating.

From Play magazine:
    Play has also said that according to the producers the temperature will play a big role, with the player having to find a spot to cool down. The heat will make it harder to shoot due to hallucinations and mirages appearing and the main character being unstable. Additionally, the magazine suggests the presence of more interactive environments that are vital to the player's survival

slash000 on
    edited April 2008
    Tyrants are scary but the "big coat" stomping version from 2 was scarier.

What Resident Evil creature was the most madness inducing? My vote is for the hut lady in REmake.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited April 2008
    Nemesis.

He knows how to use a door.

Sure, Trenchcoat Tyrant could too(or make one), but he didn't run at 60 MPH either.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png