As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So Weird.

Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
edited April 2008 in PAX Archive
How odd is it to see Microsoft Ads that essentially advertise PAX on sites like Kotaku, etc.

So so so so weird.

Some guy.
Robert Khoo on

• HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I must have links. Anyone?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    http://kotaku.com/

Upper right corner. It's basically an ad for a Microsoft contest, but one of the prizes is a trip to PAX.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/logoprogram/sweepstakes/default.mspx

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Definitely weird-awesome.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    That's pretty badass

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    A TRIP TO PAX?! NO WAY!!!!

/me Goes to enter

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How odd is it to see Microsoft Ads that essentially advertise PAX on sites like Kotaku, etc.

So so so so weird.

At least it is a weird-Good and not a Weird-bad. Although I figure hanging around tycho and gabe all of the time must be weird too. I'm certain pax will be weird-awesome.

Viscountalpha on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Heh, it's really kinda neat, I'd say. It's good to see PAX becoming so popular.

Kyanilis on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i don't see ads at kotaku just frames, where the ads would be, that failed to load their pages

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I thought it was a bit odd too. I did, however, proceed to enter the contest. If Microsoft wants to pay for my trip to PAX I won't complain.

Khoo, did they ask you about this contest at all or did they just do it on their own?

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited April 2008
    they asked if they could use our logo in some promo materials, but damn, those ads are pretty much just ads for our show.

Uh, thanks!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I guess you know you've made it when one of the biggest companies in the world is running an ad that has your logo so prominently featured.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hm. wasn't the size of attendance at pax supposed to be upward of 37,000 or more last year? Wikipedia seems to think so.

Last time I was told (Orientation when I started at MS 6 months ago), there was only 30,000 employees working in the Redmond campus.
    (80,000 worldwide, although most of those technically work for separate entities, since a corporation isn't really allowed to span across all international borders (in europe, in any case), possibly everywhere.)

How could you possibly ignore an event that has a higher attendance rate than you have employees when you're that size? Besides, you don't sink however many billions into the Xbox and ignore fan service. That'd be suicide.

ashridah on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    I would enter this contest, but somehow I doubt Microsoft will pay for me to drive if I win. and instead will force me onto a cramped plane.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I would enter this contest, but somehow I doubt Microsoft will pay for me to drive if I win. and instead will force me onto a cramped plane.

As sad as that would be, a free trip to PAX is a free trip to PAX. No way I'd turn that down.

Veevee on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Something tells me I am exempt from this contest :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I hate US resident only contests =(

tr0tsky on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If only I had a chance to go to PAX anyway. Oh it's a shame.

Kyanilis on
  • PRDPRD Kristin Lindsay I am a meat popsicle.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    Something tells me I am exempt from this contest :P

Not true! You just already won the big prize. ;)

PRD on
  • nerdgaymernerdgaymer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    I hate US resident only contests =(

I second that!

nerdgaymer on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Would they pay for a flight from Lynnwood to Seattle? That would be awesome!

That_Guy on
  • CatBoyCatBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i'm going to win me one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F-YEAH!!!!

CatBoy on
    <+Djiem|HKO> Woah
    <+Djiem|HKO> Hello Kitty is brutal
    <+Djiem|HKO> A starfish just raped my ass
    <+Gilles> you deserved it
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It would be funny if me or my brother won. Would they pay for like a 5 minute flight from Everett?

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mavrick88 wrote: »
    It would be funny if me or my brother won. Would they pay for like a 5 minute flight from Everett?

Limo, maybe.

But it'd also have to include a decent hotel room wouldn't it? (haven't checked the details, since I'm not elegible to enter :( )

I dunno about you, but i'd prefer being able to stay in a hotel near the convention for the event than having to drive to/from my place, with seattle's traffic.

ashridah on
  • mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ashridah wrote: »
    mavrick88 wrote: »

Limo, maybe.

But it'd also have to include a decent hotel room wouldn't it? (haven't checked the details, since I'm not elegible to enter :( )

I dunno about you, but i'd prefer being able to stay in a hotel near the convention for the event than having to drive to/from my place, with seattle's traffic.

Yeah me and my brother aleeady have a hotel reservation for PAX weekend so we don't have to get up at 5am and take the 1-2 hour drive to seattle.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • RomulasRomulas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    thats pretty sweet indeed, free ads on MS w00t

Romulas on
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm totally entering this contest just so that if I win I can fly my friend back from school 2 days after he leaves for PAX.

That, and a hotel room and free pass would be nice.

Aydr on
This discussion has been closed.