As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

¿Dónde está el [CHAT]?

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I used to wear steel toed boots in the mechanic shop I worked at for a while. Apparently someone else in the company had a lift drop on their toes, which bent the steel in the boot over like a taco, and cut his toes off. From then on I stopped.

I still wear steelies when I'm in the smithy though. Not many crushing hazards.
    What about the shoes with those metal tongues? My sister has to wear those for welding.

I don't know if they would stop the toe cutting thing though.

bombardier on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    AHahahahah!!! AGHAHAHAHHAH!!! OH!!! Ohhhhhhh!!! Guys-guy! Seriously, The New Days. THE NEW DAYS!!! I want the drugs this guy is taking!

MagicToaster on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    bombardier wrote: »
    I used to wear steel toed boots in the mechanic shop I worked at for a while. Apparently someone else in the company had a lift drop on their toes, which bent the steel in the boot over like a taco, and cut his toes off. From then on I stopped.

What about the shoes with those metal tongues? My sister has to wear those for welding.

I think the point of the Mythbusters' results was that, yes, the steel toe cap could be potentially be crushed down and into your toes but if enough weight fell on your foot to crush a steel cap and you didn't have one, you'd be worse off.

DMAC on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sounds like a challenge to me.

Who wants to supply some feet? I'm curious now.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited April 2008
    DMAC wrote: »

I think the point of the Mythbusters' results was that, yes, the steel toe cap could be potentially be crushed down and into your toes but if enough weight fell on your foot to crush a steel cap and you didn't have one, you'd be worse off.
    Also, crushed beyond belief and cut off... same thing, you're losing your fucking toes.

bombardier on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Once again, mythbusters talk out of their ass. While entertaining, jeez those guys are stupid about that stuff sometimes.
    Grifter wrote: »
    I guess that proves the Mythbusters wrong.

I guess they didn't lift a flatbed truck on platform lift. Wish I still worked there, I could have got a copy of the accident report that was sent to every store.

Most of those are metal foil, I thought. I dunno what ones you are talking about. I don't see why you would need to wear those for welding, I guess it depends where you are welding. Steel toes in leather boots are adequate enough, I think.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    She does welding on Super Star Destroyers.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited April 2008
    Once again, mythbusters talk out of their ass. While entertaining, jeez those guys are stupid about that stuff sometimes.
    Grifter wrote: »
    I guess that proves the Mythbusters wrong.

I guess they didn't lift a flatbed truck on platform lift. Wish I still worked there, I could have got a copy of the accident report that was sent to every store.

Yeah, but are you saying that if the guy had been wearing regular boots his foot would have been better off?

In most heavy thing dropped on foot accidents, the steel cap is going to distribute the weight and save your toes. The sort of thing you're talking about sounds like a fluke.

DMAC on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Even so I imagine it's a cleaner cut with more of a chance for reattachment.

• multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    AHahahahah!!! AGHAHAHAHHAH!!! OH!!! Ohhhhhhh!!! Guys-guy! Seriously, The New Days. THE NEW DAYS!!! I want the drugs this guy is taking!

Wat a jackoff. I'd normally say that with enough effort anyone can learn to draw better, but I don't think that guy could. Mainly because he spends most of that effort making shitty youtube blogs. But also because he can't fucking draw. Or model a convincing character. Or not come off as a pompous shitface.

multimoog on
    edited April 2008

Yeah, but are you saying that if the guy had been wearing regular boots his foot would have been better off?

In most heavy thing dropped on foot accidents, the steel cap is going to distribute the weight and save your toes. The sort of thing you're talking about sounds like a fluke.

Essentially, what I gathered from the report was that had he been wearing regular shoes, he would have been more readily able to move his feet. The lifts we were using have a small gap on either side, which your foot can get trapped under, the part his foot was under, doesn't connect directly to the floor. So the argument was, that had he been wearing normal shoes, his foot probably would have been broken, not severed.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Essentially, what I gathered from the report was that had he been wearing regular shoes, he would have been more readily able to move his feet. The lifts we were using have a small gap on either side, which your foot can get trapped under, the part his foot was under, doesn't connect directly to the floor. So the argument was, that had he been wearing normal shoes, his foot probably would have been broken, not severed.

So, since there's no way to predict the future, you're screwed no matter what you do? I'll continue to wear steel toes, it makes it easier to kick in bus doors.

multimoog on
    edited April 2008
    It still sounds like arguing that since you heard about an accident where a guy was strangled by his seatbelt, seatbelts are a bad idea.

DMAC on
    edited April 2008
    multimoog wrote: »

So, since there's no way to predict the future, you're screwed no matter what you do? I'll continue to wear steel toes, it makes it easier to kick in bus doors.

Well since it really only applies to a sheering force being applies to the toe of your boot, steel toed boots are still good to wear in all most all working situations. So unless you are going to be around this particular type of floor lift, you aren't going to have your toes cut off.

It still sounds like arguing that since you heard about an accident where a guy was strangled by his seatbelt, seatbelts are a bad idea.

Except this was our employer suggesting that we voluntarily discontinue wearing steel toed boots due to the potential hazard around the lifts we used.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008

Wat a jackoff. I'd normally say that with enough effort anyone can learn to draw better, but I don't think that guy could. Mainly because he spends most of that effort making shitty youtube blogs. But also because he can't fucking draw. Or model a convincing character. Or not come off as a pompous shitface.
    God. God.

Fucker is a walking brainwashed victim of The Secret.

bombardier on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tomorrow I'm getting a tablet!

WHO WANTS TO OC WITH MEEE

melting_doll on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i wills!
    for serious!

beavotron on
    edited April 2008

God. God.

"To succeed in comics, all I need is desire. I don't need talent or a comic anyone wants to read."

DMAC on
    edited April 2008
    D, tell a client that the next time they don't like one of your ideas. Also, I hope you like Ramen noodles.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

God. God.

"To succeed in comics, all I need is desire. I don't need talent or a comic anyone wants to read."

Oh my god thank you for posting that in SE, bombsy.

I miss ADP so much. His voice and mannerism in video match his posting perfectly.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=49436

That was a great thread. I wish he still had the comic ones up.

Brolo on
    edited April 2008
    He likes to play HARD BALL with tough critics.

bombardier on
    edited April 2008
    There are so many people out there with these pet projects that they're obsessed with and NO FUCKING CLUE that the basic idea is terrible. They think that it's just a matter of making a few superficial tweaks and it's going to be perfect. It's like watching those people in the audition episodes of American Idol who are convinced that they're right and the judges must be wrong.

I fucking love Ramen noodles.

DMAC on
    edited April 2008
    DMAC: With enough Ramen Noodles, he'll be King one day...

edited April 2008
    Ramen noodles would be nice right now.

All I got is brownies.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008
    Leave those poor girls alone.

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tomorrow I'm getting a tablet!

WHO WANTS TO OC WITH MEEE

memememememememememememememememememememeemmemememememememe

Projeck on
    edited April 2008

Elliot were you a girlscout?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

God. God.

That's what came to my mind.......which can change the world don't you know.

Mustang on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has to be a troll. No way someone can be that much of a douchebag.

Tam on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone have advice on illustrating a children's book?

NeoRedXIII on
    edited April 2008
    Dicks...lots of dicks.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008
    All I know is that when I was a child I found the total lack of dicks in my reading material to be a torment that still haunts me to this day.

Mustang on
    edited April 2008
    I already tried that approach. There turned out to be too many dicks.

NeoRedXIII on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    NeoRedXIII wrote: »
    I already tried that approach. There turned out to be too many dicks.

lies

Brolo on
    edited April 2008
    Well you're doin' it wrong!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008
    wurst helpars evar.

NeoRedXIII on
    edited April 2008
    Anyone recommend me some sweet kicks?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited April 2008
    Sweet kicks? WTF are they? or are they just kicks, and it is preferrable that you are reccommended a kick that is sweet?

Mustang on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    9/10 Chuck Norris's recommend the roundhouse

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
    edited April 2008

Elliot were you a girlscout?

No, I was a Gotham Girl Guide.

This discussion has been closed.