As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: It begins...the first single to be released through Rock Band

• Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    After two weeks of sadly being without Still Alive...

My XBOX WAS RETURNED TO ME!!!!

I have discovered that I am now at that sad point where the easier half of the songs are boring on Hard Drums, but if I switch to Expert I get my ass kicked when the Random Song Generator decided to pull "Won't Get Fooled Again" as the first song after I switch up to Expert (I had mercy on the rest of my group, and was willing to abandon the song rather than subject them to 10 repetitions of me failing in the first 45 seconds).

I gotta get me some practice time in on those top tier songs... Even "Still Alive" was destroying me on Expert.

dopplex on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Most of still alive is easy except for those tight 4 note runs on which ever pad it was, those are what kill you the most because it messes up your beat.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks like all the songs are easy on vocals except Simple Man.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    My current roadblocks are still as follows.

Hard Drums: Run to the Hills
    Expert Drums: Epic
    Expert Guitar: Green Grass and High Tides
    Expert Vocals: Should I Stay or Should I Go.

I've gotten the 100% achievements for Guitar and Bass but haven't managed to do so for Drums or Vocals though.

I've got my way through expert guitar/vocals, but I'm stuck exactly where you are on Hard drums. RttH is ridiculous. I was also stuck on Epic on Expert drums, but I finally broke through that and am now stuck somewhere else.

We'll see what happens with my new drums when I get my 360 back...probably still won't be able to do RttH.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JoahW wrote: »
    Motley Crue song is amazing on guitar and drums.

Message in a Bottle is pretty much the same as GH2 on guitar, except with that one insane hard part at the end taken out. :( It is, however, completely awesome on drums as expected.

That "one insane hard part" at the end of the GH2 track wasn't really in the original recording, though. It was just in the WaveGroup cover.

Captain K on
  • Options
    JeffyJeffy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Classic Rock am gotten.

I thought Message in a Bottle drums sucked. It was annoying.

Jeffy on
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, I seem o be doing much, much worse on Message In A Bottle than I did in GH2. Were the notes in the main riff on GH2 hammer ons? Because I aced that riff 100% of the time on GH2 and seem to be struggling with it on Rock Band...

emericana on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Nope, the main riff was all picked notes

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    See for yourself

GH2 Rock Band

Arikado on
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well then what in the hell happened to my mad skillz?

emericana on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Herby wrote: »
    Everyone interested in the Wii version of Rock Band should check out gametrailer's interview.

It seems that all 5 bonus songs are already downloadable content on the other versions. And that they're looking into adding online play and DLC after release (which might be true. Just look at the big addition to the other versions, the RB store)

They've said the only real hurdle was storage so it wouldn't surprise me if they could patch it in later. I'd be content with addon retail releases for $30ish with songs from 360/PS3 downloads that maybe could be swapped in at any time during gameplay.

I should add though I'm easy to please, the Wii version at least avoids me needing a 360/PS3! I'm actually content with the 5 bonus songs since one is the Oasis song I was pretty jealous of.

Note that it was also said that online play could be patched into GH2, and the 360 Xplorer could have an effects pedal, and HMX would love to patch online Band World Tour into Rock Band. Just because they're looking into it and would love to do it doesn't mean people should get their hopes up over it. Even the dark sorcerers at Harmonix have limits and schedules.

That said, it would be foolish not to have DLC and albums available as standalone retail discs, but I'm immensely curious how the game would handle said content. Getting freebie installs like on the OXM disc is just asking for disc-swap hell, but on the other hand would playing Band World Tour and random songs mean you have to keep swapping discs after every set?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aww man the little solo at the end of Message in a Bottle isn't in the real song? That was my favorite part, lol!

Thursday is going to be a good day... Still Alive, OXM songs, and 4 other decent songs. I can't wait!

midgetspy on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, work can't be over soon enough. 6 hours left, before I can download these songs, and get my halo maps.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The drums are rad on Message in a Bottle, just really tiring because you're pretty much hitting them at the same beat as Maps. Also I decided to get Siva today too, damn the drums for that are brutal. And I can't play Bass or Guitar on it that well because of my broken strum bar.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Aww man the little solo at the end of Message in a Bottle isn't in the real song? That was my favorite part, lol!

Haha, I liked it too. But the real track fades out to nothing just before that point.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Legacy wrote: »
    My current roadblocks are still as follows.

Hard Drums: Run to the Hills
    Expert Drums: Epic
    Expert Guitar: Green Grass and High Tides
    Expert Vocals: Should I Stay or Should I Go.

I've gotten the 100% achievements for Guitar and Bass but haven't managed to do so for Drums or Vocals though.

I've got my way through expert guitar/vocals, but I'm stuck exactly where you are on Hard drums. RttH is ridiculous. I was also stuck on Epic on Expert drums, but I finally broke through that and am now stuck somewhere else.

We'll see what happens with my new drums when I get my 360 back...probably still won't be able to do RttH.

I'm stuck on RttH on Hard, too, but somehow didn't have a problem with Epic on Expert. I was stuck on In Bloom for a little while (leg stamina), but haven't gotten stuck again so far, surprisingly. Properly calibrating my system made a big difference. Now I just need an Omega pedal.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Any drum reviews of the DLC?

I'm considering getting the Crue song because it's a buck and maybe Simple Man cause it seems like a pretty cool song, albeit "simple". The Blondie song seemed overly repetitive and I'm a bit tired of the Police. For now I think I'll just get the cheap song and wait a little bit for anything else.

Strato on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I did one play through on everything with guitar, and everything but Simple Man with drums.

Blondie is deceptively tricky on drums. It's Move Along-esque. The bass stays constant and you do the weird beats with the yellow pad, that dont quite synch up until you figure out what it sounds like. Nothing too hard, but you may stumble first.

Message In a Bottle may be my favorite drum song ever. Its got the Police madness, with a slightly more forgiving bass drum part. Its mostly just on the beat kicks, and triples in the pre-chorus. Lots of sweet Maps-style stuff. I LOVED it.

Motley Crue kicked my ass. I'm stuck on Dead On Arrival on Expert, for reference. I beat it, with 80%, but was in the red at the beginning and the end. It's an awesome beat, just pretty kick heavy and I never could quite figure out where they were supposed to happen. The chorus I got down, and it felt awesome. The whole end part was a mess though.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aw man. :(

Message in a Bottle is way easier and more straight forward this time around. Now it's just chords all the way through the "I'll send an SOS..." where in GH2 it was chord-single-chord-single so you had to keep pulling a finger off. Was fun as hell.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh yeah—Best Buy reward certificate equals half-price MS Points card, so I'm gonna buy some more songs tonight. I'll have to YouTube the Blondie song, since my wife may want to sing it, but I'm definitely getting Message in a Bottle and the Motley Crüe single.
    mxmarks wrote:
    Message In a Bottle may be my favorite drum song ever. Its got the Police madness, with a slightly more forgiving bass drum part. Its mostly just on the beat kicks, and triples in the pre-chorus. Lots of sweet Maps-style stuff. I LOVED it.

Except for Next to You, which was madness, every single Police song drum chart has been made of pure bliss. Probably my most-played DLC.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You're not missing anything on Simple Man drums, its a little more complicated than just high hat and snare over and over, but its nothing note worthy.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aw man. :(

Message in a Bottle is way easier and more straight forward this time around. Now it's just chords all the way through the "I'll send an SOS..." where in GH2 it was chord-single-chord-single so you had to keep pulling a finger off. Was fun as hell.

Maybe it was more "fun to play", but that shit pissed me off on GH2. It was totally unfaithful to the way you'd actually play the song on guitar. Whoever did the note chart got incredibly worked up about dissecting each individual strum of the instrument from the guitar track, and the strums where the notes from the higher strings were less prominent were represented in the note chart by a single note instead of a chord. But the guy playing the guitar was clearly just playing the same chord over and over.

I like the new one better, even if it's "vanilla". :P

Captain K on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well I played Crue and Simple Man on drums, and neither was much fun for me. The Crue song is good if you want a challenge with a lot of fast kick drum doubles, but those aren't my favorite thing to play.

This is why I never complain when there's DLC I know is bad; it's better than paying for DLC I turn out not to like. :P

Might get the Blondie song, I dunno. Probably just going to stop spending money instead.

Strato on
  • Options
    meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So my wife got me a boom mic stand for my birthday, which I played with for the first time last night. So much fun.

I started with drums/vocals, then went to guitar/vocals (mostly expert/hard on both - my expert/expert experiment with Say It Ain't So was ugly). The amazing thing here was I felt like it was easier for me to do drums/vocals than it is to do guitar/vocals, which is weird - I thought for sure it would be the other way around. But as long as a song has a steady drum beat most of the time, it's easier for me to go into autopilot and focus on singing. Am I the only one?

Maps, though? No. Kudos to you, K, for doing that much more justice than I did.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I find that it's all about how similar the rhythm you're singing is to the rhythm you're playing, regardless of what each rhythm is. Working on limb independence is hard. Adding another factor into the mix--your vocal rhythm--is just another layer of difficulty to work through.

I'm still sucking at it, but getting better. The easiest songs to play and sing simultaneously are, like you said, the ones with steady, predictable instrumental rhythm. If you can just go on autopilot with your body and focus only on the vocals, then it's almost the same as just singing the song and not playing at all. But if the rhythms don't match up, it's a learning process for each song.

Hence, Buddy Holly drums/vocals is a mostly a piece of cake, while Limelight drums/vocals is a serious bitch.

Captain K on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rock Rebellion y/n?

YardGnome on
  • Options
    meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    while Limelight drums/vocals is a serious bitch.

I didn't even think about this. Ouch. And now I must try it tonight.
    YardGnome wrote:
    Rock Rebellion y/n?

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    while Limelight drums/vocals is a serious bitch.

I didn't even think about this. Ouch. And now I must try it tonight.
    I can actually get through it with about 96%/96% or better every time. But I sound like a stuttering retard during the 3/4 section in the chorus (living in the limelight / the universal dream). It's just fucking hard to match up the vocal rhythm with the drumming rhythms, especially the three eighth notes on the ride cymbal.

Captain K on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How do the vocals work in rock band?

Is it similar to singstar?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    How do the vocals work in rock band?

Is it similar to singstar?

Pretty much identical, just with GH-style overdrive.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cool. So you could, say, sing the wrong lyrics, in the right pitch with the right timing, and still get the points.

If you were a loser, of course...

LewieP on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It works EXACTLY like Karaoke Revolution (Published by Konami, developed by.... HMX!)

EDIT: Beaten...
    And hey, I still can't sing "My Sharona" worth a shit. However, I can sing "My Balona" perfectly.

(Also, apparently Weird Al also has a "Won't get fooled again" parody called "Won't eat prunes again".)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Cool. So you could, say, sing the wrong lyrics, in the right pitch with the right timing, and still get the points.

If you were a loser, of course...

Yep... you can just hum if you want. There are some songs with sections that have no pitch bar ("talky parts") and HMX claims to do phoneme detection so you have to say the right words there, but people have found that crinkling a plastic bag or rubbing the mic on your pants works just as well, lol.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    It works EXACTLY like Karaoke Revolution (Published by Konami, developed by.... HMX!)

And hey, I still can't sing "My Sharona" worth a shit. However, I can sing "My Balona" perfectly.

(Also, apparently Weird Al also has a "Won't get fooled again" parody called "Won't eat prunes again".)

No, he doesn't. If its not on this list, its not a Weird Al song. So many people online mislabel any parody as being by Al.

And Bass on Simple Man is pretty cool.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I sing *most* of the lyrics the way they are but there are a few incorrect lyrics (i.e. Welcome Home) so I like to sing them the right way. However, there are some lyrics that I cannot sing and maintain the right pitch so I just maintain the right pitch but sing something else.

Talky parts...I've learned I do better if I sing them as if I had one of those British/Aussie accents where I force myself to pause suddenly between the words I say. Seems to make the phoneme detector happy.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For Europe:
    http://kotaku.com/379931/rock-band-europe-to-see-price-retraction-tomorrow

Rumor
    Rock band to price to be reduced. Hopefully this will ease some pain for y'all.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

No, he doesn't. If its not on this list, its not a Weird Al song. So many people online mislabel any parody as being by Al.

Funny, I don't see "Chicken Pot Pie" (Live and Let Die) or "I'll Repair for You" (I'll be there for you) or "Laundry day (Keep'em seperated)" (Come out and play) on that list either. And I know for a fact that those three are his, he just only does them live.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Funny, I don't see "Chicken Pot Pie" (Live and Let Die) or "I'll Repair for You" (I'll be there for you) or "Laundry day (Keep'em seperated)" (Come out and play) on that list either. And I know for a fact that those three are his, he just only does them live.
    You beat me to it, was just gonna say there are several songs he has never recorded, but does live.

Also, http://youtube.com/watch?v=EBvh6JPSmy0 sounds a lot like him to me and he did (still does?) a lot of work on the Dr. Demento show in his early days so I'm inclined to believe it's him.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Greg USN wrote: »
    For Europe:
    http://kotaku.com/379931/rock-band-europe-to-see-price-retraction-tomorrow

Rumor
    Rock band to price to be reduced. Hopefully this will ease some pain for y'all.

i.e. LewieP to lose money soon

Arikado on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

You beat me to it, was just gonna say there are several songs he has never recorded, but does live.

Also, http://youtube.com/watch?v=EBvh6JPSmy0 sounds a lot like him to me and he did (still does?) a lot of work on the Dr. Demento show in his early days so I'm inclined to believe it's him.

I stand corrected. I was not aware that he had live only songs as I've never gotten around to seeing him live, and considering his recording dates listed songs that haven't appeared on albums I was under the impression that it was all of his songs.

However my point still stands that too many people online list any parody as being by Al, I've seen songs by female vocalists listed as Weird Al.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
This discussion has been closed.