As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beers, Bros and Boards

LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Critical Failures
Hello all,
I am soon returning to the UK, where most of my friends are, for a couple of months. We gain great joy out of drinking together, and we sometimes play board games in order to increase the social lubrication. We tend to "enjoy" simple adversarial games like Sorry! There are some that force us to play Risk, although this inevitably turns into a knife-fight.

Does anyone have any suggestions for games that can be played while pretty drunk for up to four players? I was actually thinking buying a couple of Magic: The Gathering starter decks and seeing how that pans out. Having read the WoW TCG Raid Deck comics, I'm also super interested in that, but I don't know whether I can just buy a Raid Deck box and go at it; would my friends also need some epic cards to actually play?

Thanks guys

Lewisham on

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mumblety peg.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    But on a serious note, playing Munchkin is pretty fun with a few beers in ya.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Are you guys going to be cogent enough if you're drunk to play games where you may need to decipher obscure meanings from card text?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Are you guys going to be cogent enough if you're drunk to play games where you may need to decipher obscure meanings from card text?

Usually. It's not paralytic drunk, more "where the fuck did you put the dice?" "I dunno, is it down the side of the sofa?" "Fuck this, I'm getting another beer" *accidentally kicks over board*

Small tokens and keeping count of stuff is bad. But even then, we can usually get through an entire game or Risk, provided no-one is crying.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well then, a few pre-made decks of Magic might be worthwhile; I haven't played a ton of the WoW TCG, but it's a good time.

Munchkin and Lunch Money are both fantastic and simple games that are cool if you're not looking for anything terribly deep. Plus, Lunch Money is like an RPCardGame, and you're encouraged to narrate your little girl beating the snot out of the other players' little girls! (Well you don't have to use little girls but that's whats on all of the cards)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Munchkin and Lunch Money both sound cool, thanks guys!

Lewisham on
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You might also check out Stupiduel, wherein your gameplay and success are wholly based on the plotting of your demise and that of others, by stringing together the cards in your hand in a way that can fashion an unusual death or "unfortunate accident" for your opponents. :)

Could definitely serve to relieve those drunken hostilities. ;)

Twinkie on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll second lunch money, or beer money as being fun. As for the theme, I think it's intended to be some kind of street fight, the little girl is just there to be creepy.

It might get too tricky depending on how far gone everyone is, but Once Upon a Time makes a great drinking game. It's great sober, too, but it can be great fun if everyone takes a drink each time someone makes a continuity error or something.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have no idea about the quality of this game, but a quick perusal of the book a few months ago made it seem pretty fun.

http://www.koboldsatemybaby.com/

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zombies!! is a fun drinks & pizza game for 3 or more people. It's fast and pretty simple to play once you get the turn phases down (might help to write them down on a card), and you spend the last third of the game just screwing each other over.

Also, Fireball Island is a classic if you can find it.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lunch Money / Beer Money, Munchkin, Zombies, Guillotine (non-CCG), uhm... I'll try and think of others...

SJ on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When I have to find out that you're coming back to the motherland for a few months via the boardgame forum of a webcomic's message board it cuts me to the core, young man.

Be aware that if you plan on playing munchkin, these other friends of yours will get very little out of it unless they've played AD&D (or Hackmaster, something in that era of RPGs).

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Robo Rally

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The WoW TCG raid decks are a blast if you have a few hours to kill, and a large library of cards to build four decks. The raid deck is only enough cards for one person to operate the deck. You'd have to have three other complete (and well built decks) to play, and that would require you to purchase a lot of cards.

Its fun, but not a simple purchase of one thing.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    When I have to find out that you're coming back to the motherland for a few months via the boardgame forum of a webcomic's message board it cuts me to the core, young man.

Be aware that if you plan on playing munchkin, these other friends of yours will get very little out of it unless they've played AD&D (or Hackmaster, something in that era of RPGs).

Untrue.

I play regularly exclusivly with people who have never touched a PHB. They still think its great and hilarious.

Troy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Troy wrote: »

Untrue.

I play regularly exclusivly with people who have never touched a PHB. They still think its great and hilarious.

I was thinking that Star Munchkin would work. Everyone's seen Star Wars and Aliens, right

Right?

Lewisham on
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    All you need (and I do mean NEED) is right here: http://www.cheapass.com/products/index.html

Girl Genius: The Works and James Ernest's Totally Renamed Spy Game (Used to be called Before I Kill You Mr. Bond) are great because they can be played when you're well into that 4th pitcher of beer.

Give Me The Brain and Lord of the Fries are perfect if you have the right mindset, or have ever worked in fast food.

Kill Doctor Lucky is also a good one, but requires a unique Token for each player... like bottlecaps for example.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like Carcassonne. It's easy to play and there isn't much to keep track of, but you do have to do a little math from time to time.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Untrue.

The jokes all stem from old roleplaying cliches, I find this hard to believe. Your friends are secretly roleplaying behind your back.

Star Muchkin should work fine.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Untrue.

The jokes all stem from old roleplaying cliches, I find this hard to believe. Your friends are secretly roleplaying behind your back.

Star Muchkin should work fine.

But really I don't think its the jokes that make it funny. It's the gameplay mechanics that really make it a funny game. The way you go behind others backs and can just go around the table screwing eachother is what makes it funny, not the stupid jokes on the cards.

I don't think the game would be so widly played if one had to have any knowledge of AD&D to play.

Also yes the different sets do make the cards more relevant and funny to a non-RPing group and can reccomend Munchkin Bites, or Star Munchkin. I do however reccomend avoiding Kung Fu Munckin as we found some of the cards to be tip-toeing on rascisim.

Troy on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How complex do you want the game to be?

How long do you want each game to last?

Here's a list that may help with decisions:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortby=rank

I also like Carcassone.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gimme the Brain is pretty funny. It's a Cheapass Games card game, wherein the players are all zombies working in a fast food joint. Your goal is to be the first one to empty your hand thus "ending your shift". It's nothing deep enough, in my opinion, to be an every-weekend staple but especially with a drink or 8 it's good for a laugh.

edit~ apparently it's Special Edition Fifteen Dollars now, mine is like a white envelope full of cards that I think I paid like $5 for or so :o

They have some good silliness in general beyond GMtB, though. I must admit that in creating the links above I was drawn to several titles that flicked by, especially Enemy Chocolatier (not to be confused with enema chocolatier, which is an entirely different genre). If there's anything better than a chocolatier, it's two (or more!) chocolatiers, vying for delicious supremacy.
    This forces me to shill for the best damned chocolate place around. Does anyone live in Columbus, OH? This.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hail Cheapass! I third the recommendation and throw in a suggestion to The Great Brain Robbery... The Old West? Trains? Zombies?? Jump on it.
    This forces me to shill for the best damned chocolate place around. Does anyone live in Columbus, OH? This.

I don't, but... you make me weep, sir. And compel me to purchase delicious frosted cupcakes on my outing... :') LOLRecovery.

Twinkie on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Chez Geek and related games are pretty fun easy to play card games, though there isn't a lot of strategy to speak of.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857