As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flame on: Windows Vista

• LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    squirly wrote: »
    Yes, Microsoft secretly made SP1 make Vista 'more' buggy (I ask people what all these Vista bugs are and never really receive an answer outside of "LOL PEROFMRNACE LIKE XP W1N"), just like Microsoft secretly forgot all they had learn in the however many decades they've been making software in regards to stability so therefore, Vista is completely stable.

Remember guys, every time Microsoft creates a new version of Windows they've completely forgotten all work they've done in the past.

Most people are complete morons.. and when it comes to Microsoft and more so, Vista, they somehow manage to magnify their stupidity. If it wasn't so annoying, unfair, hypocritical, etc it would be amusing and impressive.
    Remind me to never ever ask anything about Vista again on these forums. It was an honest question and I'm greeted with infuriated forumers complaining about the reputation of Microsoft.

I'll install SP1 once it becomes available, all I wanted was to make sure that it wouldn't fuck up my PC regardless of its configuration.

There is a small amount of PC's that will have problems installing SP1 for Vista. Microsoft knows exactly which drivers cause the issue. If you use Windows Update, MS will not offer you SP1 if you are using the drivers that can cause the "fuck up" of your PC. So if you use Windows Update, as opposed to DL'ing the inefficient and massive standalone installer, you won't have a problem.

In regards to application compatibility, the only thing I've personally heard of it breaking was the New York Times Reader. To which I say, who gives a shit? It fixes far more compatibility issues than it causes, that is for sure. Anyways if you're concerned about application compatibility you can use the ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit) to analyze your system before install and check for any problems.

My personal opinion as a sys admin who has tested SP1 for awhile, is that is very worthwhile and a damn good service pack. Oh yeah, and I heard someone talking about laptop power usage earlier. With SP1 especially, Vista slaughters XP on power efficiency.

Full release notes

I hope that is more of the answer you were looking for.

edit: hi5 Morskittar

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ah, great. Thanks guys. :) I didn't even know Windows Updater worked like this, that's some class A service there. :^:

Aldo on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Ah, great. Thanks guys. :) I didn't even know Windows Updater worked like this, that's some class A service there. :^:

NO IT'S NOT MICROSOFT RAPES YOUR BABIES THRU WINDOWS UPDATE!!!111 BUT ITS SHITTY CODING AND SLOPPY.

Sorry... I couldn't resist. :D

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SP1 does cause Zoom Player to crash after finishing a movie sometimes. The ZP developer refused to fix the problem in the SP1 betas and is now MIA. :(

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dang. I just saw this Start++ thing today, and it looks pretty nifty. Has anyone here tried it? I actually kinda hate the new Start Menu in Vista, although a lot of that has come from trying to use it as a replacement for "Run..." which it isn't. Still I wish I could at least store a little autocomplete history for me.

DigDug2000 on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I patched to SP1 over the last week. Due to an inexplicable problem (Spent maybe 8 hours troubleshooting with Microsoft's Tech Support to no avail), I was unable to install it. So, I did a quick backup/reformat/reinstall, and was able to patch successfully. Unfortunately, due to the nature of having patched on a clean install, I'm not able to really tell whether performance increases are attributed to SP1 or a fresh install. I have noticed that Vista (32bit) is now addressing all 4GB of my memory, though.

EDIT: That Start++ thing is pretty amazing. The old Run window isn't gone y'know... accessible by Windows Key + R.

Dehumanized on
    edited April 2008
    A Vista fresh install will be slower than a mature one.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I patched to SP1 over the last week. Due to an inexplicable problem (Spent maybe 8 hours troubleshooting with Microsoft's Tech Support to no avail), I was unable to install it. So, I did a quick backup/reformat/reinstall, and was able to patch successfully. Unfortunately, due to the nature of having patched on a clean install, I'm not able to really tell whether performance increases are attributed to SP1 or a fresh install. I have noticed that Vista (32bit) is now addressing all 4GB of my memory, though.

EDIT: That Start++ thing is pretty amazing. The old Run window isn't gone y'know... accessible by Windows Key + R.
    Yeah I know. Its just muscle memory which won't update to the new behavior. I've never been able to get past Macs not using Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V either, but I don't blame either company for that.

DigDug2000 on
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

This.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    It just takes a little time to build or rebuild the Super Fetch data base.

I hope to reinstall Vista Ultimate tomorrow now that SP1 is out and the problems my brother had have been resolved. Having to share my PC with my family sucks big time.

Dark Shroud on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright. I want to leave my computer on when I go off to class or go to sleep. So I turned off sleep when the laptop is plugged in and the turn off hard disk function (turning this one back on)

However, whenever I come back to it, the power light is flashing and the monitor is off. I have to hit the power button to turn it back on and put in my password. And then everything starts back up again.

Does anybody know why it won't just stay on.

Vista ultimate service pack 1
    Dell Vostro 1500

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Could it be set to auto-install updates during that time? Those will sometimes shut down/restart the computer.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited April 2008
    Could it be set to auto-install updates during that time? Those will sometimes shut down/restart the computer.

No, it is just like sleep mode. It starts back up really quickly. And everything is still there, it just stops while I am away.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Artreus wrote: »

No, it is just like sleep mode. It starts back up really quickly. And everything is still there, it just stops while I am away.

Check the BIOS maybe? Other than that there's a power management setting you're missing in Windows.

Or it's haunted

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited April 2008

Check the BIOS maybe? Other than that there's a power management setting you're missing in Windows.

Or it's haunted

I think it's haunted.

It is probably a power management thing. I went into the advanced settings and disabled all sleep for when it is plugged in.

Artreus on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Or it's haunted

I think it's haunted.

It is probably a power management thing. I went into the advanced settings and disabled all sleep for when it is plugged in.

FWIW, I have the same problems with my XP laptop. I think APM stuff just doesn't always work as advertised.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited April 2008
    jonxp wrote: »

Or it's haunted

I think it's haunted.

FWIW, I have the same problems with my XP laptop. I think APM stuff just doesn't always work as advertised.

The worst part is, I did not have this problem with XP. D:

Artreus on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would double check your power plans.
    Are you changing your power management from which menu? Display/Screen Saver? Control panel? The power icon on the task bar?

I've found that the power profiles (power saver/high performance/balanced) advanced options give the most choice for what you want to do. I have power saver and high performance set up for my laptop and they work wonderfully (Dell Latitude D620). Basically if I'm plugged in and on high performance my computer won't shut anything down outside of running a screen saver.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited April 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I would double check your power plans.
    Are you changing your power management from which menu? Display/Screen Saver? Control panel? The power icon on the task bar?

I've found that the power profiles (power saver/high performance/balanced) advanced options give the most choice for what you want to do. I have power saver and high performance set up for my laptop and they work wonderfully (Dell Latitude D620). Basically if I'm plugged in and on high performance my computer won't shut anything down outside of running a screen saver.

You know that might be it. I am on balanced right now, and I went into the options for it and disabled the sleep. I should just set it to high performance while it is plugged in.

Artreus on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fraz wrote: »
    I installed Vista for the first time a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I wish the critics would give it a fair shake or get over their Apple boners (please don't hate me for saying this).

I love OSX, I just don't love having to purchase overpriced hardware to use it. My ideal world would be where I could walk into an apple store, buy OSX, install it on my homemade computer, and install Steam and play games and stuff within. (of course this would require DirectX in OSX, which is not happening).

I think the main problem people have with Vista, and my only two issues with the OS, is UAC and the ludicrous RAM requirements. UAC is easy to turn off, and RAM is cheap now, but it still crazy that a 3D Desktop and some marginal UI improvements result in the OS using nearly 3x as much RAM. If they had spent an extra year or two on optimization that would have probably sold Vista twice as fast as they are.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    but it still crazy that a 3D Desktop and some marginal UI improvements result in the OS using nearly 3x as much RAM.
    For probably the hundredth time: AERO IS NOT THE SOLE IMPROVEMENT IN VISTA

Jesus FUCK

(and believe me, the added hardware requirements of desktop compositing are well worth it)

Azio on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    but it still crazy that a 3D Desktop and some marginal UI improvements result in the OS using nearly 3x as much RAM.
    For probably the hundredth time: AERO IS NOT THE SOLE IMPROVEMENT IN VISTA

Jesus FUCK

(and believe me, the added hardware requirements of desktop compositing are well worth it)
    I don't think he meant the Aero features were the sole improvement in Vista, but rather that Aero features were the sole cause for Vista hogging RAM.

If that's the case, then Monkey Ball Warrior is still wrong: there's Superfetch, and probably more. Vista uses as much RAM as is available, yielding plenty to programs when they ask for it.

fogeyman on
    edited April 2008
    Superfetch doesn't use more RAM, it just makes sure it's ready for your usage patterns - if you need the RAM it drops it instantly. Aero doesn't either, as the whole point is it's processes offloaded to the GPU.

By my understanding, it's other tools, like the indexing, sidebar, and other services that slow it down. The drop in FPS is entirely due to the new, immature, outside-the-kernel driver model. Wouldn't surprise me if it far surpasses XP once Nvidia and ATI have five or six years to work on it.

There's so much utter bullshit out there about Vista. The internet is full of parrots.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Quick question:

It possible to change the sound output device an application is going to without restarting the application? Like, from within the mixer or something? I know if I change the default device then any new applications I start will go to that device...but I'm looking more for a way to switch it manually so that I don't need to keep switching my default device back and forth whenever I want to pipe music or movie audio out to my stereo (which goes through a different sound card).

mcdermott on
    edited April 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Quick question:

It possible to change the sound output device an application is going to without restarting the application? Like, from within the mixer or something? I know if I change the default device then any new applications I start will go to that device...but I'm looking more for a way to switch it manually so that I don't need to keep switching my default device back and forth whenever I want to pipe music or movie audio out to my stereo (which goes through a different sound card).

It depends on the application, really. For the most part, though, the answer is no. Most applications just initialize their sound system to the primary output at startup and leave it there. Some applications (like skype for instance) give you the option to switch it up, but that's usually done inside the app, not through the default device chooser.

jonxp on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah unfortunately I ran into the same problem. I assumed I'd be able to switch up between my speakers and USB headset but that's not the case. I ended up selling them and getting a pair with the standard 3.5mm connectors and splitting the audio output to go to both the speakers and the headset.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I installed Vista Ultimate 64 on my home computer about a month ago and so far I've been liking it a lot. However recently I ran into a bit of a problem. It's nothing huge, but it is kinda annoying. The basic problem is that my folders don't remember their settings any more in Windows Explorer.

For example, say I have a picture and video folder that I want to show large icons so I can see the thumbnails. Well when I go into the folder it's starting out in Detail view, so I go and change it. It changes correctly, however if I back out of that folder and go back to it, it goes back to the detail view mode. Every folder seems to want to default to that Detail view, no matter how often I change it in the folder properties. I did check in Windows Explorer options and the check box is marked for folders to remember their individual settings. I even tried resetting folders to their defaults in the Control Panel and still no dice.

Anyone know of any way to fix this rather annoying issue. It's not like I can't live with it, but I'd prefer not to.

Zaylenz on
    edited April 2008
    I think if you hold CTRL while closing an Explorer window it will remember the view settings for the folder it's on. Vista seems to pretty much randomly pick a view a lot of the time though.

I really really hope they fix it because Explorer would be the tits if it didn't behave like a drunken two-year-old.

Azio on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh wow, so that isn't just me. It's really random, indeed. At least it's kinda easy to switch between view settings.

Aldo on
    edited April 2008
    Well, it's not *random* it just doesn't do a very good job of choosing the right view.

jonxp on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, it's not *random* it just doesn't do a very good job of choosing the right view.

If it were actually random it might choose the appropriate view more often.

mcdermott on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That always bothered the crap out of me too about Explorer. I followed the directions here though, and Explorer behaves how I want it to now. Which is to default to "Detail" view unless I specify otherwise and then it'll remember whatever I tell it.

Note: I followed the directions under "METHOD TWO" and "DO RESET BY A DOWNLOAD". I downloaded the linked .reg file, applied it, and rebooted and all was well I think. Please inspect the .reg file yourself if you don't like applying settings to your registry without looking through them first.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is it possible to set Vista hotkeys to mouse buttons?

I love using windows switcher, but only being able to access it from the taskbar kind of defeats the purpose. Is there a way to set it to say, mouse 3?

Javen on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That always bothered the crap out of me too about Explorer. I followed the directions here though, and Explorer behaves how I want it to now. Which is to default to "Detail" view unless I specify otherwise and then it'll remember whatever I tell it.

Note: I followed the directions under "METHOD TWO" and "DO RESET BY A DOWNLOAD". I downloaded the linked .reg file, applied it, and rebooted and all was well I think. Please inspect the .reg file yourself if you don't like applying settings to your registry without looking through them first.

I tried that reg edit and it seems to have worked. Thanks.

Zaylenz on
    edited April 2008
    Javen wrote: »

I love using windows switcher, but only being able to access it from the taskbar kind of defeats the purpose. Is there a way to set it to say, mouse 3?

Alt+tab works too without hitting a button.

I've done it using the MS mouse software; I don't believe Windows has built-in mouse key setting functions, but I've never tried. Having it keyed to a mouse button is awesome though... you can kick back and easily sort a number of similar documents one-handed.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Javen wrote: »

Windows Button+Tab

JAEF on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, rad. Thanks.

Alt/Windows+Tab indeed makes it much easier, but I'll have to look into this mouse software a little more

Javen on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, Win+ctrl+tab and ctrl+alt+tab

LaCabra on
    edited April 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

If it were actually random it might choose the appropriate view more often.
    Open folder full of Word files --> large icons, sort by date

Folder full of beautiful, high-res pictures --> detail view, don't bother sorting

Folder full of .dll files --> SUPER EXTRA JUMBO ICONS, SORT BY SIZE

The root of C: --> tiles, group by type

Azio on
  • zipidideezipididee Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So in general I'm pleased with how Vista is working on my laptop, but they keep doing stupid things with it. The latest round of patches/updates from a couple of days ago completely wiped out support for quite a few different logitech pointing devices. After looking online, so far the only fix is to roll back the updates, so I can either have a working mouse, or a more secure, updated machine. Grrr :x

zipididee on
    *ching ching* Just my two cents