As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DC Solicitations for July 2008: We've got a fifth-week event!

13»

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    munch sometimes you need to lighten up and not take such a cynical fucking view of everything

DJ Eebs on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh man, I just realized that the worst case scenario for Blue Beetle is having his parents killed by border patrol.

Robos A Go Go on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just hope that it doesn't get too serious with that solicit.

I don't want Blue Beetle to turn into IMMIGRATION: THE COMIC BOOK.

also what Geebs said.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Everyone needs to go out and buy that Gotham Central hardcover!!

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

also what Geebs said.

Oddly enough Manhunter is tackling the issue too.

But it's the Jack of Fables guy. That's supposed to be a good book, right?

Lux on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Woah, Catwoman's ending? What?

Is there something up with Pfeifer and DC? Catwoman's ending and his "run" on Blue Beetle is anything but

Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008

Kyle

really looking forward to that

and the reprinting of Robin: Year One. The copy I got from Amazon is an ex-library copy with a weird plastic coating on it

edit: neither of them actually come out in July. stupid advance-solicitations

Garlic Bread on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    hahaha millennium and invasion collections? what?

For the 'we can do Secret Invasions better than you' factor?

Wildcat on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lux wrote: »

also what Geebs said.

Oddly enough Manhunter is tackling the issue too.

But it's the Jack of Fables guy. That's supposed to be a good book, right?

Jack of Fables is pretty amazing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Very much so, I love it.

Wildcat on
    edited April 2008
    I haven't read Jack of Fables since like issue #12 or something (if I even got that far), but yeah it was pretty good.

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    munch sometimes you need to lighten up and not take such a cynical fucking view of everything

But Geebs, how will I earn my Red Lantern ring, if not by being Earth's mightiest hater?

Nah but you're probably right.

Munch on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Munch drinks a tall glass of hatorade every morning.
    And by hatorade I mean tears.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Kyle

and the reprinting of Robin: Year One. The copy I got from Amazon is an ex-library copy with a weird plastic coating on it

Wait, wait

They are making both of these things?

Holy shit.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

Kyle

Wait, wait

They are making both of these things?

Holy shit.

Robin's a paperback, not a hardcover

but you should still buy it!

Garlic Bread on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will! I've wanted to buy that book for so long but haven't been able to track down a copy that meets my quality standards without being too expensive.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

also what Geebs said.

I'm willing to give it a chance. Given the setting, I think it was inevitable the book would have an immigration story at some point. Heck, isn't this month's issue pretty much about the language barrier?

(still wonder if the scarab is going to speak in Spanish too)

While I'm painfully aware that it was another writer, even the after school special issue about forgiving your enemies and not hating people was a fantastic read. So what the hell. Let's see how this story unfolds.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Newarama has an interview with Sturges up.
    MM: How long is your run scheduled for?

MS: For as long as they’ll let me write it, if I have my way. There’s no set number of issues that I know of.

Doesn't sound like he was told to wrap the series up before it's cancelled then, like he was with Shadowpact (and Gugenheim was with Flash: FMA and McDuffie was with Firestorm).
    MM: Keith Giffen and John Rogers have left you quite a legacy to live up to. What kind of pressure does that put on you as the next guy in line? Are you feeling pretty confident or nervous as hell?

MS: I feel confident in the sense that I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do on the book, and I think I’m up to the task. But Giffen, Rogers, and Albuquerque really went out of their way to make my job harder – the book just keeps setting the bar higher and higher with every issue, to the point where the last few issues in their run together are honestly some of the best superhero comics I’ve read in years. And I’m reading the thing thinking, “Come on, guys – couldn’t you just suck a little? Give me some breathing room here?” But no, they flat refused to suck on my account.

So yes, it’s a bit nerve-wracking in that regard, but when it comes to actually writing the book, what I do is I reread their entire run and then sit down and say, “Okay, so then what happens?” and go from there.
    MM: Give me a brief, spoiler-free overview of what you’ve got planned so far.

MS: Story-wise, we’re going to see some new threats moving in to take up Jaime’s time: new problems, new villains; new worries. In our first story, now that Blue Beetle has established himself as “El Paso’s Superhero,” he finds himself in the middle of a metahuman-fueled immigration controversy, and in the sights of a new villain who’s taken up an old villain’s mantle, just as Jaime’s taken up Ted Kord’s. It’s going to force Jaime to make some decisions about who he is that he’s not quite ready for yet.

After that, we’ve got a nemesis for Jaime lined up, and this guy is someone who’s going to test Blue Beetle to his absolute limits; he’s someone you definitely do not want to mess with. So it’s going to be a tough year for Jaime overall. Through it all, however, I guarantee that Jaime won’t lose his sense of humor. And that Peacemaker won’t give anyone a hug.

As far as our heroes’ lives go, the overriding theme is going to be “taking the next step.” Jaime’s faced down his first big threat and now he’s got to deal with what’s next. He’s going from apprentice superhero to journeyman superhero and he’s going to have to make some big decisions about what kind of hero he’s going to be, and what his future’s going to look like. He’s also going to have to worry about graduating from high school at some point, and where he’s going with Traci 13. Likewise, Paco and Brenda are taking a huge risk by taking the next step in their relationship. So it’s all about making significant choices and seeing the consequences of those choices, for good or for ill.

We’ll also be seeing more of La Dama, the Posse, and the Titans in the near future. And if I have any say in the matter, Batman will find his way back into Jaime’s life – because those two are great together.

MM: You mentioned the immigration controversy. That’s something that some folks accused Jai Nitz of when they first heard about his fill-in, but he wasn’t really telling that story. You’re actually going there?

MS: Immigration is definitely the backdrop of the first storyline – we wanted to do something that would highlight the issue, but there’s no preachiness involved. We’re showing some of the realities of what goes on, though obviously projected into a world with superheroes and people beating off aliens with sticks.

The intent is definitely NOT to turn the book into a comics version of an after-school special.

MM: So you’re not necessarily picking a side and making a political point with the story?

MS: No, I think a good story doesn’t pick sides – you show what happens as best you can and let readers decide for themselves. Nobody wants to be preached at.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well I think I can be optimistic after reading that, he singled out the exact things I was worried about and said "I'm not going to do that" in a sincere sounding way.

Here's hoping he can follow through.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So wait.
    A story DOESN'T pick sides.
    JUDD WINNICK WE NEED TO TALK.

Oh wait.
    False alarm.
    He said "Good".

The Muffin Man on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    well that interview done cleared up some worries for me if sturges can deliver.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm digging the previews for The Joker's Asylum in the new Previews
    Looks interesting.

Me Too! on