As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Going for Baroque! (wah wah wah waaaaaahhhhhh)

• Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I haven't yet addressed the problem of town exploration. At this point I'm assuming you just do it, die and hit the tower when you're revived. Dying does not seem to be that big of a deal in this game.

Gaming-Module on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I haven't yet addressed the problem of town exploration. At this point I'm assuming you just do it, die and hit the tower when you're revived. Dying does not seem to be that big of a deal in this game.

Well, there is that restoration station that sits before the tower that restores all your VT and HP...

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    l_g wrote: »

Well, there is that restoration station that sits before the tower that restores all your VT and HP...

Really?

:oops:

chamberlain on
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm digging the game so far. I've put 10 hours in and racked up 8 deaths. It does stray from the rogue-like template, but the real time action works pretty well. The game moves slow enough. They did get the random levels and items right, which is more important.

I found an orb that sent items back to the collector, but I tested it out with rotten flesh and it wouldn't take anything else after that. I didn't realize that Eliza led the Protagonist to orbs. I saw them at one point, but I didn't cross my mind that they were what I was looking for.

I've delved down to -1000 cubits where I was overrun by the bouncing things and the spikey, lusty things. I was level 20, but it was a good death. I did, however, die while I left the game unattended. I had picked up glass wings and was waiting for my health to recover after 'clearing' the dungeon level.

I also enjoy playing catch with the various denizens of the dungeon. The box guy gave me hope wings when I had antidote wings glued to my back and the Mind Reader taught me how far down the rabbit hole goes (-1600 cubits). She also put mines on the ground and a big-headed dancing thing trip it and killed me.

Unfortunate Death has become my baroque.

Man of the Waves on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I also enjoy playing catch with the various denizens of the dungeon. The box guy gave me hope wings when I had antidote wings glued to my back and the Mind Reader taught me how far down the rabbit hole goes (-1600 cubits). She also put mines on the ground and a big-headed dancing thing trip it and killed me.

Yeah, whenever you give her any item she spits out a bunch of bones and disks; the "-1600" you saw was probably an identification bone that tells you the lowest depth when it hits the ground.

Didn't know the box guy would do anything like that though.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • LordGekLordGek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, whenever you give her any item she spits out a bunch of bones and disks; the "-1600" you saw was probably an identification bone that tells you the lowest depth when it hits the ground.

Didn't know the box guy would do anything like that though.

Yep, Box Guy will gladly trade you the box he is holding for any box you have on you. Even weirder though is if you give him a box when he has no box...he'll still reward you with a random box.

LordGek on
    edited April 2008
    By the way, I'm writing a guide for this game, hopefully the first version will be up at GFAQs soon. :P

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh awesome, this is getting released on the 6th of June in the UK. I figured it wasn't going to make it over.

Burnage on
    edited April 2008
    This is part of a list I have in my upcoming guide. It's every item that you can count on enemies to drop. Sometimes the dropped item is unidentified, but it's still one of the two things that enemy can drop. Unfortunately I don't quite have all of them.

Moon (fish) - Experience Bone, Port Bone

Glue (tiny bug) - ???, ???

Kato (rolling turtle) - Antidote Fluid, Indefinite Box

Bullger (small version, fat green woman) - Fire Disk, Aprsl Parasite

Seventeen (wheel shooter) - Summon Torturer, Lethargy Bone

Gliro (monkey) - Heart Seed, stolen items

Bullger (large version, fat green woman) - Sight Fluid, Churyu Flesh

Jerryrom (small version, big head with grin) - No Name Torturer, Heart Seed

Soconpo (bouncing eyeball) - Double Edge Box, Food Disk

Liar (snail woman) - Unbrand Brand, Elec Parasite

Death (mechanical coffin) - Storm Disk, Sweat Bone

Or-huganous (wire man) - Recovery Box, Special Fluid

Sin-Monis (mushroom-like sucker) - Sweat Bone, Twin Box

Jerryrom (large version, big head with grin) - Flame Disk, Boom Bone

Sun (green hall-blocker) - Port Bone, Revolution Torturer

Nicl & Nicr (flesh with big mouth) - Recovery Torturer, No Name Torturer

Magician (card) - Mine Disk, Ice Disk

Aries ( 4 goat legs man) - Sight Fluid, Rotten Bone

Cocteauhead (bubble man) - Poison Torturer, Me Brand

Moon (gold version, fish) - Experience Bone, Port Bone

Johanna Kyon (people wrapped with caution tape) - Earplug Bone, ???

Notable ones:

- Seventeen's Summon Disk is awesome for rounding everything up in a level quickly.

- Watch out for Soconpo's Food Disk, it will totally destroy your inventory.

- Liar has two good items. The Unbrand Brand is the best way to cure "curses," when something gets stuck to you.

- Or-Huganous's Special Fluid is very helpful later on when you get hit with every status effect known to man. Especially for curing Stomachache.

- Be extremely cautious with Sun's torturer, it can nearly kill you in an instant if your meters are high.

- Cocteauhead's Me Brand is very useful. It's essentially another consciousness orb, only you don't have to give up the item. You'll want an Unbrand Brand to get rid of the left over No Brand afterwards, though.

If you get more info on these, please share it.

UncleSporky on
    edited April 2008

Great work there, UncleSporky! I did notice Glues often dropping Antidote Fluid.

The game site implied Glues come from Katos...but I think I see them more as Moon companions (although this may just be since they are the two lowest level beasties). Have you ever seen a Kato spew out a Glue?

LordGek on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Really?

It's incredibly easy to miss because it looks quite frankly like a few bits of dark brown atop the already beige-colored sand. It is also hilariously mentioned in passing by that coffin guy after you do his tutorial. Why the damn thing isn't highlighted I don't know, because it's kinda important and easy to miss.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    edited April 2008
    LordGek wrote: »

Great work there, UncleSporky! I did notice Glues often dropping Antidote Fluid.

The game site implied Glues come from Katos...but I think I see them more as Moon companions (although this may just be since they are the two lowest level beasties). Have you ever seen a Kato spew out a Glue?
    Yes I have, and this is in the guide too. Usually you kill Kato too quickly to see it, but when they lose a lot of HP they get down on their bellies and act like turtles. At this stage they can release Glues out of their tail.

UncleSporky on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Really?

It's incredibly easy to miss because it looks quite frankly like a few bits of dark brown atop the already beige-colored sand. It is also hilariously mentioned in passing by that coffin guy after you do his tutorial. Why the damn thing isn't highlighted I don't know, because it's kinda important and easy to miss.

goddamnit.

chamberlain on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Really?

goddamnit.

I was running around just trying to find this thing. Turns out I went everywhere except where it actually was. Ugh.

Joule on
    edited April 2008
    I was just thinking it would be cool if you could use a flip disk and take it with you, but then I remembered that the reverse side doesn't let you pick it up, it drains your health and VT instead.

UncleSporky on
    edited April 2008
    LordGek wrote: »

Yes I have, and this is in the guide too. Usually you kill Kato too quickly to see it, but when they lose a lot of HP they get down on their bellies and act like turtles. At this stage they can release Glues out of their tail.

Ahh, in turtle form they're almost always a hit away from death so I don't let them live in that state for more than a few seconds.

LordGek on
  • fdiskcdrivefdiskcdrive Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I feel like I might be missing something. I am really, really enjoying the game though. Having a lot more fun with it than I thought I was going to. I put about 12 hours in over the weekend which says a lot.

How do you get to the lower sections of the tower?
    I've completed the tower now 4 times (down to -1600). I killed the Absolute God twice, and let her live twice. Does anyone know the requirements to get to the other dungeons in the game? I briefly checked your guide between tower runs and taxes yesterday Uncle Sporky but was unable to clarify how to get lower. My 3rd time though the tower I couldn't throw all my Koriel idea sephirahs into the consciousness orbs, and my 4th time through there was a lack of Koriels to get the sephirahs from... I really doubt this, but did I miss them permanently?

I have never been a huge fan of rogues but I'm having a blast with this game. If only the reviewers were minutely into rogues and not going into the game expecting some grandiose japanese rpg.

fdiskcdrive on
    fdisksig1gi.gif
    mkds: 128-909-369-415
    tetris: 607-254-108-141
    metroid: 1460-9641-6245
  • GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I feel like I might be missing something. I am really, really enjoying the game though. Having a lot more fun with it than I thought I was going to. I put about 12 hours in over the weekend which says a lot.

I've completed the tower now 4 times (down to -1600). I killed the Absolute God twice, and let her live twice. Does anyone know the requirements to get to the other dungeons in the game? I briefly checked your guide between tower runs and taxes yesterday Uncle Sporky but was unable to clarify how to get lower. My 3rd time though the tower I couldn't throw all my Koriel idea sephirahs into the consciousness orbs, and my 4th time through there was a lack of Koriels to get the sephirahs from... I really doubt this, but did I miss them permanently?

I have never been a huge fan of rogues but I'm having a blast with this game. If only the reviewers were minutely into rogues and not going into the game expecting some grandiose japanese rpg.
    Eventually Longneck will change. Ask you for a certain item. Give it to him. Even will occur next time you're back in Hub town. Remember every character drops an Idea Sephirah. Trying not to give too much away. Follow the course of events. Even heading into the tower and dying on the second floor can advance certain events quickly.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
    edited April 2008
    Ginsane wrote: »

Eventually Longneck will change. Ask you for a certain item. Give it to him. Even will occur next time you're back in Hub town. Remember every character drops an Idea Sephirah. Trying not to give too much away. Follow the course of events. Even heading into the tower and dying on the second floor can advance certain events quickly.
    This is right. Without spoiling too much:
    You have to let the god live. Eventually Longneck will bury himself, and you need to show the item he eventually drops to everyone in town. From there you may be able to figure it out.

There are only 11 Koriel but aside from being gone forever once purified, I don't think they're terribly important. If you want to hear all their Baroques then start a new game and use the same database, it'll start over with everything you currently have, including the same item collection.

UncleSporky on
    edited April 2008
    Thanks guys, I will do this the next chance I get to play. Hopefully tonight but I'm going to be busy against my will. I am hungry for more Baroque and want to play very badly.

I sent some cultivating fluid back to town and went to give it to him, but he had buried himself, I gave him a seed like he asked, and he now has several seeds (i think they were seeds anyways, some hearts) in front of him when I go back to town. I'll go throw em at people when I can. I really wish I could've explored more, damn time, damn work!!!

fdiskcdrive on
    fdisksig1gi.gif
    edited April 2008
    Thanks guys, I will do this the next chance I get to play. Hopefully tonight but I'm going to be busy against my will. I am hungry for more Baroque and want to play very badly.

I sent some cultivating fluid back to town and went to give it to him, but he had buried himself, I gave him a seed like he asked, and he now has several seeds (i think they were seeds anyways, some hearts) in front of him when I go back to town. I'll go throw em at people when I can. I really wish I could've explored more, damn time, damn work!!!
    Just incase you wonder. More spoilerage. What you should do.
    Yep. It's almost like he wants to die, wants to be a part of the Earth. *punch*

Ginsane on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I was thinking man I feel like turning all these Meta Beings into some rotten meat so I use my summoner and they're all in one room but before I could use my Turn them all in to rotten meat Torturer I get hit for 1/3 of my life. Damn these snake ladies in the -1000 cubits area hurt.

Joule on
    edited April 2008
    Joule wrote: »
    So I was thinking man I feel like turning all these Meta Beings into some rotten meat so I use my summoner and they're all in one room but before I could use my Turn them all in to rotten meat Torturer I get hit for 1/3 of my life. Damn these snake ladies in the -1000 cubits area hurt.

I only do that when I have an invincible and double xp bone on me. I hate to reload a save. Feels cheap, even though at times, I still do that sort of thing. I try to randomly save them up to blitz through the Tower, when I feel like actually searching, and killing everything in sight. Sometimes I get the need to run through to the end, or certain npcs, just to excitedly try out some combo on them.

Ginsane on
    edited April 2008

I've heard if you don't deal the blows yourself and instead give him heart seeds like he asks, you can start every new life with a heart fruit, on the ground where he used to be.

UncleSporky on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok, I got the game and have put a couple hours into it =)

(got delivered early and to the wrong address, but at least I have it)

Wow .... that's some brown and gray. Don't get me wrong, because I like the style and I really like the way things far away from you in the tower look kind of fuzzy and I love the characters, but wow .... brown and gray for everything?! Ah well hehe

The music is pretty good imho. Nothing I'd listen to outside of game, but it suits the atmosphere I think.

I'd like to be able to carry more items, but maybe I'll be able to do that as the game progresses?

I'm having a lot of fun with it and even though the camera is kind of clunky at times, I'm not having any problems with attacking at all. Throwing I am no good at though =/ Hope it won't hinder me too much.

a couple questions.
    How do you get the Idea Sephirahs? I've cleared the tower twice and died once (just let myself die at the bottom of the tower on the second clear) and haven't seen one. I've also killed a bunch with the Angelic, but nothing.

also
    What does the Cursebringer Angel do? I've killed it and let it live, but nothing seems to happen with it.

edit: I definatly proclaim this a very good $40.00 buy.

Xaquin on
    edited April 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Ok, I got the game and have put a couple hours into it =)

(got delivered early and to the wrong address, but at least I have it)

Wow .... that's some brown and gray. Don't get me wrong, because I like the style and I really like the way things far away from you in the tower look kind of fuzzy and I love the characters, but wow .... brown and gray for everything?! Ah well hehe

The music is pretty good imho. Nothing I'd listen to outside of game, but it suits the atmosphere I think.

I'd like to be able to carry more items, but maybe I'll be able to do that as the game progresses?

I'm having a lot of fun with it and even though the camera is kind of clunky at times, I'm not having any problems with attacking at all. Throwing I am no good at though =/ Hope it won't hinder me too much.

a couple questions.
    How do you get the Idea Sephirahs? I've cleared the tower twice and died once (just let myself die at the bottom of the tower on the second clear) and haven't seen one. I've also killed a bunch with the Angelic, but nothing.

also
    What does the Cursebringer Angel do? I've killed it and let it live, but nothing seems to happen with it.

edit: I definatly proclaim this a very good $40.00 buy.
    -There are some encounters with NPCs that will give you their's 100% when you kill them but otherwise it is just a random and very rare chance occurrence with the game's beasties.
    -Cursebringer is your BESTEST BUDDY IN THE DUNGEON, DO NOT KILL HIM! He appears on a few levels in the game (you may want to make a mental note on what floors you see him as he will then ALWAYS be on those floors in future runs if you search long enough). He can un-rot food tossed at him, repair damaged items (if the coat or sword is under the default strength, I don't think you can repair damage done to an item if still enhanced over the default level), but BEST OF ALL, toss any 2 excess random objects to get something new! So far there is no known patterns in what items will get you what (I've often thrown the same source items and gotten different results) but one thing is for sure, tossing two depleted items will get you a new one of that same type (toss it two empty boxes to get a new random box).

LordGek on
    edited April 2008
    Doesn't have to be spoiled, does it?

I didn't know you could get empty boxes, I thought they just disappeared. I know there are dead parasites and no brands, but I haven't tried that yet.

I do know that if you throw the Cursebringer an NPC's Sephirah you will always get the same item back. Like, A heart seed for Longneck, that sort of thing.

UncleSporky on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, I already bought this but I've been looking at reviews for this game, and let me say I've never seen a more unfairly reviewed game. How many idiot, point-missing reviewers can there really be out there? Thank goodness for that one 78% review, now only if it showed up on metacritic...

This game really needs video review where a scottish dude says "The problem with Baroque is that it's just a game where you die and start again. The genius of Baroque, is that it's just a game where you die and start again. Many people will misunderstand it" and so on.

Rigor Mortis on
  • thepricetheprice Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I picked up this game last night and I'm finding it pretty interesting, if a bit confusing and occasionally frustrating.

The thing that annoys me is that I can't seem to find the orbs that send items back to town. I found one metal sphere that took a single item but I haven't found any more like it since then. Is this really the only way to get items from the tower back into town? I'm wondering if other orbs don't look like the first one I found and I'm just missing them. I have 2 of those crystal ball things that I'd like to send back before I die again and it would be nice to know what I'm looking for. Apparently I already missed the orb by the woman who went through the wall early on. I didn't even see anything near her that looked like that metal ball.

theprice on
    edited April 2008
    Doesn't have to be spoiled, does it?
    I didn't know you could get empty boxes, I thought they just disappeared. I know there are dead parasites and no brands, but I haven't tried that yet.
    I've just seen "Empty Boxes" and "No Brands" as random items in the dungeon, not sure if other item types have a depleted state (it would only make sense you could find empty syringes, but I haven't seen anything to that effect yet).

LordGek on
    edited April 2008

I've heard if you don't deal the blows yourself and instead give him heart seeds like he asks, you can start every new life with a heart fruit, on the ground where he used to be.

O? I gave him one, and then finished him off. So wouldn't know. But now I'm sad inside.

Ginsane on
    edited April 2008
    theprice wrote: »
    I picked up this game last night and I'm finding it pretty interesting, if a bit confusing and occasionally frustrating.

The thing that annoys me is that I can't seem to find the orbs that send items back to town. I found one metal sphere that took a single item but I haven't found any more like it since then. Is this really the only way to get items from the tower back into town? I'm wondering if other orbs don't look like the first one I found and I'm just missing them. I have 2 of those crystal ball things that I'd like to send back before I die again and it would be nice to know what I'm looking for. Apparently I already missed the orb by the woman who went through the wall early on. I didn't even see anything near her that looked like that metal ball.

I had this problem too. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'll be playing through this a LOT.

Least you can get items from the training dungeon.

Question.
    Is the leather coat you get from the training dungeon always stuck to you? I found a better coat in the tower and couldn't equip it because my leather one was 'stuck' on.

Xaquin on
    edited April 2008
    theprice wrote: »

All the transfer orbs in the game:
    -200 (two floating overhead in Eliza's room)
    -400 (floating above Alice)
    -1200 (two, including the Doctor's that can only be used after an event)
    -1500 (in Eliza's room after an event)
    -1600 (two if your dungeon ends here, including the Archangel's orb)
    -2200 (two if your dungeon ends here, including the Archangel's orb)
    -2800 (behind Alice)
    -3000 (two if your dungeon ends here, including the Archangel's orb)
    -4000 (two, including the Archangel's orb)
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Question.
    Is the leather coat you get from the training dungeon always stuck to you? I found a better coat in the tower and couldn't equip it because my leather one was 'stuck' on.
    Look at it more closely in your item list. There should be a little <L at the bottom, meaning press L to see what brand is attached to it. A Glue Brand! How can you get rid of a brand?
    By using an Unbrand Brand, which are dropped by those screaming snail women in later floors. Also, a Wing Parasite, which will get rid of anything you attach it to.

UncleSporky on
    edited April 2008
    awesome =)

also, glue brand my ass =/

never even thought to look hehe

Xaquin on
    edited April 2008
    Finally I get to play again tonight. I've been looking forward to (end of -1600 tower spoiler)
    taking out longneck for a few days now.

Also, I really don't mind the controls at all anymore. I inverted the X and Y camera axis, and now the game plays pretty much like a 3rd person shooter. I use the left stick to move (primarily forward and backward, left and right when I want to strafe), and use the right stick to turn. I was also complaining about the throwing stuff before, and throwing has become much easier after a little bit of practice.

All in all the reviews of this game really infuriate me. I am glad I bought this game before reading any.

fdiskcdrive on
    fdisksig1gi.gif
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ugh. Theres only one review on Amazon right now and its 1/5 stars. The guy says its more of a FPS than a RPG. Someone needs to write a fairer review for them.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ugh. Theres only one review on Amazon right now and its 1/5 stars. The guy says its more of a FPS than a RPG. Someone needs to write a fairer review for them.

What. the. FUCK?

I tried to review it there but it says I need to have purchased it from Amazon. I guess Amazon Canada doesn't count, huh.

Rigor Mortis on
  • cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Haven't gotten down past -400 yet, but I've died several times. I've been hanging onto bones until their effects are useful. Should I just be chomping the less useful ones (like Port Bones) for HP/VT instead?

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cjeris wrote: »
    Haven't gotten down past -400 yet, but I've died several times. I've been hanging onto bones until their effects are useful. Should I just be chomping the less useful ones (like Port Bones) for HP/VT instead?

That's what I do. Other helpful things I've learned is to not hesitate to throw stuff. At first I was hanging onto all my extra equipment for some fucking reason. Just throw EVERYTHING you don't have equiped. Swords, wings, coats, brands, crystals, you name it. I mean, what you'd like to do is throw the crystals into consciousness orbs in order to get the baroques from them, but that's not always possible. They do some GREAT damage too.

If there is an enemy you aren't so great at killing, just throw stuff at him.

Oh yeah, and if you can, only eat hearts and flesh when you are already at full HP/VT. The boost to your max is far, far more helpful than any healing benefit.

Namrok on
    edited April 2008
    Namrok wrote: »
    cjeris wrote: »

That's what I do. Other helpful things I've learned is to not hesitate to throw stuff. At first I was hanging onto all my extra equipment for some fucking reason. Just throw EVERYTHING you don't have equiped. Swords, wings, coats, brands, crystals, you name it. I mean, what you'd like to do is throw the crystals into consciousness orbs in order to get the baroques from them, but that's not always possible. They do some GREAT damage too.

If there is an enemy you aren't so great at killing, just throw stuff at him.

Oh yeah, and if you can, only eat hearts and flesh when you are already at full HP/VT. The boost to your max is far, far more helpful than any healing benefit.

Yeah, throwing stuff is great. Many items that you wouldn't expect will do extra neat effects, like status effects (status healing fluids) or cutting the enemy to 50% HP (Double Edge Box).

I mean, you're only equipping one sword, so make your choice and projectile the rest.

UncleSporky on