As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Firefox won't let me quote.

cheXziecheXzie Registered User regular
Whenever I click "quote" it just sends me to the forum menu. Does this have anything to do with cookies?

cheXzie_sig_01.jpg
cheXzie on

• ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Probably better to ask in The Monkey Den

Toast on
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I suggest clearing the history.

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • poop onepoop one Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    cheXzie wrote:
    Whenever I click "quote" it just sends me to the forum menu. Does this have anything to do with cookies?

lets me

but i cant google from the url bar, so i think ill be switching back to mozilla quick quick

poop one on
    calvin.gif
  • Chad PaulsonChad Paulson Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I suggest getting the bbcode firefox extension. It rocks.

Chad Paulson on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    cheXzie wrote:

I does that to me sometimes. I just try it again a few seconds later, it works fine.

KiTA on
  • GumbyGumby Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Ahh, I get the same kind of thing. This is the only forum I visit that does this to me. I hit Reply or Quote, and I'm taken back to the forum main page. For some reason I can't seem to be... automatically logged in whenever I visit this forum. I have to log in everytime, and that was the problem - I wasn't logged in :-P. It's pretty annoying, but not so bad. Once you're logged in that shouldn't happen.

Gumby on
    LOVE. We should all be rolled together as one.
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Game. Set. Match.

Firefox is t3h winnar.

Hamurabi on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hamurabi wrote:
    Game. Set. Match.

Firefox is t3h winnar.
    nothxbai

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    To compensate for my off-topic post before... has anyone else been having problems logging in with the "Remember me" button checked? I don't think it's an IE/Firefox-specific problem, although it might be. I've been having the problem mostly with IE.

Hamurabi on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    moved to the monkey den

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    should i download this firefox thing?

i mean, what does it do that is essentially better than IE? what dosnt it do that makes it not perfect?

Barcardi on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2004
    Barcardi wrote:

i mean, what does it do that is essentially better than IE? what dosnt it do that makes it not perfect?

It blocks pop-ups, ads on webpages, images from websites of your choosing. It's faster, has tabbed browsing, and tons of plug-ins that aren't made by companies that are installing spyware on your computer.

Garlic Bread on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Barcardi wrote:

Tabbed browsing
    No security flaws that allow remote arbitrary code execution
    More stable
    Less bloat, opens faster, uses less RAM
    Plugin system allows for incredible variety of productivity enhancements to be added a la carte

Doesn't support everything the way IE does, so some sites require you to use IE. However, there exists a plugin that allows you to right click a link and select Open In Internet Explorer, or right click the page you're on and do the same, so this is largely mitigated.

That's about it. It's a very, very good idea to install it.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Fewer security flaws that allow remote arbitrary code execution

Never say there are no security flaws in a piece of software, even if there are no known ones, there are certainly some obscure ones that have not been found yet.

Firefox has had some known ones, the difference is they're fixed a lot quicker than the IE ones, and they're generally less damaging.

Ohh and the other big advatage of firefox, it actually implements web standards that have been defined / updated in the last 5 years, unlike IE.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited August 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    pheezer wrote:

Never say there are no security flaws in a piece of software, even if there are no known ones, there are certainly some obscure ones that have not been found yet.

Firefox has had some known ones, the difference is they're fixed a lot quicker than the IE ones, and they're generally less damaging.

Ohh and the other big advatage of firefox, it actually implements web standards that have been defined / updated in the last 5 years, unlike IE.

I'm not aware of any that specifically allow remote arbitrary code execution, and it was my understanding that only IE could, due to it's integration with the O/S.

Pheezer on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Orthanc wrote:
    pheezer wrote:

I'm not aware of any that specifically allow remote arbitrary code execution, and it was my understanding that only IE could, due to it's integration with the O/S.

There was one that allowed arbitary code execution on windows. Granted it was due to a problem in the underlying windows libraries. IE had an explicit block on people putting "shell:...." in urls which would execute the following command. Firefox didn't have that block consequently when the url was passed through to the underlying libraries the command was executed.

MSN and some other IM clients were also vunerable to the same flaw.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited August 2004
    Okay, so it's remotely possible, so long as the O/S cooperates. I'll adapt my propagandist speech to say fewer holes that yadda yadda yadda in the future.

Pheezer on
    edited August 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Okay, so it's remotely possible, so long as the O/S cooperates. I'll adapt my propagandist speech to say fewer holes that yadda yadda yadda in the future.

Here's the thing, even if it wasn't for that one, even had there never been any discovered one, it's extreamly unlikely that any software would ever be completly bug free, so to say that any peice of software has no security holes is naieve at best.

Of course it's always possible that one of the plugins could introduce a vunerability.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
    edited August 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    pheezer wrote:

Here's the thing, even if it wasn't for that one, even had there never been any discovered one, it's extreamly unlikely that any software would ever be completly bug free, so to say that any peice of software has no security holes is naieve at best.

Of course it's always possible that one of the plugins could introduce a vunerability.

Oh, I've never implied that it's not vulnerable to security holes, just that it's not vulnerable to security holes of the same order that IE is. However I stand corrected on that issue. I also have trouble standing straight, as 3 beers is a lot to drink in 5 minutes.

Pheezer on
  • Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I was under the impression IE is not so much as more secure, but that it just has a lot more people trying to hack it and whatnot. I thought that was why Firefox and stuff was safer. Just due to the majority of people on IE, thus meaning most people trying to break IE. Is this wrong?

Joseph Stalin on
    Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
    edited August 2004
    I was under the impression IE is not so much as more secure, but that it just has a lot more people trying to hack it and whatnot. I thought that was why Firefox and stuff was safer. Just due to the majority of people on IE, thus meaning most people trying to break IE. Is this wrong?

That does make a contribution. But Firefox is inherantly more secure due to not being integrated with the OS. Also being open source anyone can look for security holes, which makes it far more likely critical errors are found.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I love IE. I see it as a challenging game I play against browser hackers.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Firefox won't let me quote either. It just hangs. IE, it's instant.

Which makes no sense, as I tried them out at the same time, and Firefox is config'd with the same connection settings..

FyreWulff on
  • locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I have the same problem about half the time, not just this site either. Not only quoting but also posting in general. However, I had this problem with IE as well, so I don't think its a Firefox thing, or a admin thing unless they're moonlighting on railfan sites, which i dobt.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • CheyenneWayCheyenneWay Registered User regular
    edited September 2004
    FireFox = RIGHT CLICK "Open Link in New Tab"

It makes for reading data with many site sources so much easier to read.

my example

:mrgreen:

CheyenneWay on
    edited September 2004
    Just have the middle button configured to open new tabs. Only way to browse I tells you

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2004
    Milkshakes?

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Just have the middle button configured to open new tabs. Only way to browse I tells you

high five

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png