As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Final Crisis Thread

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seven Soldiers is like my favorite thing ever, and this is sounding pretty good. I've been wanting to get into the New Gods stuff for a while now.

DouglasDanger on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    That's balls. "Yeah, I know I just walked in the door. But here's a massive 12-part crossover event which resets the entire DC universe."

He'd been at DC before.

Not only that, but he'd run his own giant uber-crossover before - One Million, which to this day is my favorite Big Event ever.

I liked what I read of it in trades, but damn if DC are a bit useless at actually collecting things like that. (I.e. no tie-in issues at all included.)

Wildcat on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KyleWPeterson on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    Well if anything FC will hopefully revive the entire New Gods concept, though it's going to be slightly hard for any Darkseid appearance to top this if he really is going all-out.

Morrison's made some noises that this will actually be the last appearance of the New Gods and the Fourth World, and that this will actually lead into the Fifth World concept that's he's been kicking around since JLA.

Of course, I doubt that means we'll never see them again, especially Darkseid, but the Fourth World was always meant to be finite and most attempts to revive the concept have floundered - and I think that's because instead of building towards the giant epic confrontation that Kirby had had in mind they just sort of spun their wheels like a regular ongoing superhero comic.

Anyway, I really hope that this is the case - if there's anyone I trust to finish Kirby's opus, it's Morrison.

@DouglasDanger - if you want to get into the New Gods, the Fourth World Omnibus collections are definitely the best place to start. And then, since like I said most of the non-Kirby FW stuff was a bit shit, you can move on to JLA and Seven Soldiers and you'll know everything you need to for Final Crisis. Maybe the 1987 "Legends" miniseries, Walt Simonson's "Orion" and the Legion of Superheroes "Great Darkness Saga" if you're feeling completist.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think we're supposed to consider the Fourth World epic over with the end of Countdown. Final Crisis will probably be about the rise of the Fifth World (same names, different costumes!!)

Rans on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What makes you think the names would stay the same? There was talk of certain heroes ascending to godhood. I think he wanted to do something with Batman, Superman and maybe Wonder Woman and Green Lantern or Flash, I can't remember it was on CBR a long time ago and make them New New Gods. That probably won't happen though, too much of a status quo change.

I would like to see something like that happen. I think it could really work with the legacy aspect DC has going on. It would require Superboy and Bart Allen to be alive though. And a less vague time scale, so characters could actually age. Tim being 19 or whatever makes him a bit young to be Batman, and Dick being ... 30? makes him a bit old to start. You could do new super identities in the same family though, with the role of Batman being filled by other characters. Maybe.

DouglasDanger on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    From piecing together things from Morrison and Didio over the last few days "Evil" wins at the end of issue 3. At the end of issue 3 Flash runs a month into the future. That is where the month break comes from. Also Superman will be traveling space and time recruiting a Superman Squad to take some sumbitches down. The "Recruitment Drive" is a one shot, not yet named, and is written by Morrison during the month gap.

That's pretty much most info I have.

Algertman on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What happened to the Supermen from Countdown: Arena, and all the rest of those characters for that matter? Would they be recruited?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    they were all killed

Garlic Bread on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thank god Rucka is writing The Spectre, because it feels like nothing proper has really been done with the character. I mean, they made him kill his own son. There's a whole world of characters & stories from Gotham Central that were just forgotten and cast off that they could address.

Lux on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, Revelations seems pretty cool. I bet the thing that makes Cris snap is related to Libra and the Society

Furu on
    edited April 2008
    Algertman wrote: »
    From piecing together things from Morrison and Didio over the last few days "Evil" wins at the end of issue 3. At the end of issue 3 Flash runs a month into the future. That is where the month break comes from. Also Superman will be traveling space and time recruiting a Superman Squad to take some sumbitches down. The "Recruitment Drive" is a one shot, not yet named, and is written by Morrison during the month gap.

I think that one-shot is called "Superman Beyond"

Rans on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Newsarama had a talk with Philip Tan over his art chores on FC: Revelations, as well as a two-page uncolored spread from the first issue.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=153995
    FCRV1.02_03.600.jpg

Owenashi on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is that Dr. Light?

It makes me uncomfortable to see him so close to such vulnerable, finely-breasted women.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »

I think that one-shot is called "Superman Beyond"

Yeah, that's it.

I want Reagan Superman and that funky Monk Superman to team up.

Algertman on
    edited April 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Is that Dr. Light?

It makes me uncomfortable to see him so close to such vulnerable, finely-breasted women.
    From what I can tell, he's either hired some hookers to dress like super-heroines or he kidnapped some women and forced them to dress that way. I'm guessing either way, Crispus gets blocked by the Spectre before he can do anything to stop Light.

Owenashi on
    edited April 2008
    seriously hoping that the spectre offs dr. light for good

Rans on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, it's the Spectre. Doesn't he have to give him some weirdly appropriate punishment?

Wildcat on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Raped to death?

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

God, when I read Rucka talking about how somebody who did some bad shit in the past few years gets some comeuppance, I was praying it would be Light. The character's become such a one-dimensional joke since Identity Crisis that the only possible purpose he can serve his providing catharsis in having something horrible happen to him.

If Rucka actually goes through with it I'll fully forgive him for the Countdown to Infinite Crisis/OMAC Project debacle.

Munch on
    edited April 2008
    Munch wrote: »

God, when I read Rucka talking about how somebody who did some bad shit in the past few years gets some comeuppance, I was praying it would be Light. The character's become such a one-dimensional joke since Identity Crisis that the only possible purpose he can serve his providing catharsis in having something horrible happen to him.

If Rucka actually goes through with it I'll fully forgive him for the Countdown to Infinite Crisis/OMAC Project debacle.

Doubt it. From what I read, it seems like Crispus and the Spectre are gonna butt heads probably because he won't be allowed to go after Dr Light but rather ordered to take out the Question instead.

Owenashi on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

He was good in the Titans arc, where he was just evil again. And than Winnick made him Rapey McRapenstien in Green Arrow.

Bloods End on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    dr. light is not that jacked

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2008
    Raped to death?

By a flash lights

Algertman on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »

Doubt it. From what I read, it seems like Crispus and the Spectre are gonna butt heads probably because he won't be allowed to go after Dr Light but rather ordered to take out the Question instead.

Doesn't mean we won't get a dead Dr. Light before the mini is over though.

Furu on
    edited April 2008
    Just announced from NYCC '08

Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    We've known that Rage of the Red Lanterns was coming, they mentioned it in an interview right around the end of SCW.

Me Too! on
    edited April 2008
    It seemed like people were surprised by that announcement

I hadn't heard about it, myself.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    I'm surprised because I had no idea that it tied in to Final Crisis and was a mini-series.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    We've known that Rage of the Red Lanterns was coming, they mentioned it in an interview right around the end of SCW.

yeah but that interview implied that it was just a regular story arc in the main Green Lantern title and didnt say a fucking thing about Final Crisis

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Indeed. I'm interested in how it will tie into Final Crisis. But mostly I want to (figure out how to get inserted into it) see what kind of shit they can wreak.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

yeah but that interview implied that it was just a regular story arc in the main Green Lantern title and didnt say a fucking thing about Final Crisis
    From Newsarama:

He also talked about one-shots like Final Crisis: Submit ("Submit" being one of the words shown on the board earlier in the panel). Johns also mentioned Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge by him and Scott Kolins, and Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns.

You don't always have to be such a huge asshole by the way.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

From Newsarama:

He also talked about one-shots like Final Crisis: Submit ("Submit" being one of the words shown on the board earlier in the panel). Johns also mentioned Final Crisis: Rogues Revenge by him and Scott Kolins, and Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns.

Kyle

Thats sorta what he does.

Bloods End on
    edited April 2008
    Pretty sure he was responding to the guy getting on your case about the supposed oldness of your news.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    Ah, my bad then.

First four pages of DC Universe Zero

DCU.ZERO.01.jpgDCU.ZERO.02.jpgDCU.ZERO.03.jpgDCU.ZERO.04.jpg

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
    edited April 2008
    The version they gave us at Comic Con has text, too. Sounds rather epic thus far.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    If you fill in the blanks I promise not to tell.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
    edited April 2008

From Newsarama:

Kyle

Now it's sounding like it's called "Final Crisis: Red Lanterns" and it is just a one-shot coming out in november

edit: johns is probably going to use the one-shot to bridge the gap between where the Alpha-Lanterns story finished, Final Crisis, and the post-FC DCU because we're supposed to roll right into the Revenge of the Red Lanterns story right after Secret Origins wraps.

Rans on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

From Newsarama:

Kyle

I was responding to Wiggin, hence why I quoted his post

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/DCU_0/DCU.ZERO.02.jpg

how is batman keeping up with them

Garlic Bread on
This discussion has been closed.