As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k Comic Discussion

EnkiEnki Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Graphic Violence
While I've noticed the majority of the posts in this sub-forum are comic-related, I decided to mention another wonderful form of literary graphic violence. The Black Library, for those who don't know, is set in the WH40K universe, and is one of my favorite collections of books ever. Ranging from the point of view of the Imperial Guard, to Space Marines, to Chaos, and the Inquisition, the books give a wonderfully robust view of a galaxy in perpetual war.

I suppose what I'm looking for in this thread are a listing/discussion of favorite series/characters, etc, or anything else about the WH40K universe that strikes your fancy!

For myself, no series beats Ben Counter's Soul Drinkers. Close seconds are Gaunt's Ghosts, and The Warriors of Ultramar.

Ready, Go!

~vote yes for scrubdiddlies~
Enki on

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Uh, thats because Graphic Violence is the Comics sub-forum. There's a whole Forum devoted to Warhammer pretty much, and one devoted to, you know, books. Also Abnett is a hack.

Vaguely on topic, I enjoyed Daemonifuge and the Kal Jericho Comics.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I enjoy what I have read and seen of wh40k, but I dont have the time or the money to do the miniature war gaming thing. I haven't really read any wh40k fiction either. What is good?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    EnkiEnki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    >< i suppose I should really check the rest of the forum before charging ahead and posting, huh?

my appologies :(

Enki on
    ~vote yes for scrubdiddlies~
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2008
    If you want to talk about 40K comics, which I know exist, that's a topic that fits here. Things like novels really apply more to other places.

I'm going to keep this open for discussion of comics in the 40k universe, but that's basically it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What was the Titan: God Machine GN like?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Titan, the first volume at least was prety decent. The 2nd one was alright, the bits I've read anyway. Don't know much about the 3rd though. The one issue I've read was wierd, I think they all got captured and the princeps went crazy or something.

Asher on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I loved Daemonifuge. But I'm not sure if that's because it was actually good or due to my raging boner for Kev Walker's art.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The art was sooooo goooood. The later 2 volumes were distincly worse. Partly because of the lack fo Kev Walker art, poartly because the writing just wasn't as good I think. It got silly. Well, Sillier.

Asher on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I tried to push on through, even with the lack of kev walker art. Once I got to the parts with the dark eldar I just gave up. First volume though: fucking awesome.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I read the Black Templars thing. It's not bad, but I didn't get
    It was the same guy as Initiate, Marine and Dreadnought
    until I read up on it on Wiki.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I thought Damnation Crusade was pretty good, but didn't click unti lthe final issue. Forge of War on the other hand was good up until the final issue where it abandoned all the plot and intrigue it had been building and just . . . ended.
    I started reading the new one as well. Blood and Thunder was it? Everyone likes da Orkz. I wonder if/when issue 3 came out?

Asher on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I only know of the one WH40k comic, the graphic novel compilation, Damnation Crusade. It wasn't even printed in full size. :| I liked it but the editing and flow seemed rather poor to me. Too much jumping around. I get the point was to show the big reveal at the end but it just didn't seem to fit together well.

Apparently there are other 40k comics? Anyone know if they've been released in TPB yet?
    I enjoy what I have read and seen of wh40k, but I dont have the time or the money to do the miniature war gaming thing. I haven't really read any wh40k fiction either. What is good?

I just started getting into 40k maybe four months ago and I'm frothing at the mouth for it. The first three books in the Horus Heresy are really damn good. I was amazed how good they were, actually. I devoured them, they were so good. I'd recommend picking them up; Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames in that order.

I'm on the 4th one now, Eisenstein, and while good it isn't as good. The first half hasn't interested me much, though it is really picking up now. I've also read Fire Warrior, which is about the Tau. I loved the Tau society parts but the action moments were a bit too much, simply because a single Fire Warrior probably shouldn't be able to kick that much ass. There is one other 40k book I've read...hmmmm...Night Stalker? Something like that. It was also a great read, nice look into a traitor marine who has been flirting with Chaos.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The Ciaphas Cain books are a riot, just to stray off-topic for a moment - basically Flashman in space, so if you can stomach a 'hero' that professes to be anything but, they're worth a look.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Asher wrote: »
    Also Abnett is a hack.

:(

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »
    Also Abnett is a hack.

:(

Nova begs to differ.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I liked the Ork flying one. I ordered some random graphic novel after seeing pics in a thread here, but they kept delaying it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    1199069081363.jpg

Been meaning to find an excuse to post this

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Everyone should read Obvious Tactics.

Karl on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    1199069081363.jpg

Been meaning to find an excuse to post this
    :lol:
    I was thinking the same thing when I read that issue.

Silpheed on