As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[New York Comic Con] Why isn't there a thread for this?

redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Graphic Violence
main_header1.gif
(click pic to go to NYCC homepage)

What?
New York Comic Con is the East Coast's biggest and most exciting popular culture convention. Our show floor plays host to the latest and greatest in comics, graphic novels, anime, manga, video games, toys, movies, and television. Our panels and autograph sessions give fans a chance to interact with their favorite creators. Our screening rooms feature sneak peeks at films and television shows months before they hit either big or small screens. And with dedicated professional hours, New York Comic Con is a market place, bringing together the major players in the entertainment industry. New York Comic Con is the second largest pop culture convention in America and the only one that takes place in the comic book, publishing, media, and licensing capital of the world -- Gotham City.
Where?
Jacob Javits Center, NYC

And how do you get there?
Right this way kind sir.

When?

April 18-20

What the hell is going on?
This is what the hell is going on.

Ok, what about tickets?
Right here. They are on sale until Midnight on Thursday, April 17.

Who is going to be there?

Some Stan Lee guy and other people.

I want to give away my money. How can I do that?
I would suggest purchasing some exclusive merch.

I suggest these:
minimates.jpg

turtle.jpg

spiderman.jpg

New York Comic Con: The Series

Video #1
Video #2
Video #3

So, why wasn't there a thread for this? I don't think I missed it while browsing the boards. Anyone going to this? I plan on attending Saturday and Sunday for some interesting panels. Mainly the one on Video Game Journalism and some other one on Starting Your Own Comic Without a Publisher.

And this is my first "con" of any kind. I am sure it will be overwhelming. At least this will prepare me for San Diego in July.

bYf6vNQ.png
Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
[3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
redfield85 on

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I could conceivably go, but I'm wary of doing it alone.

Maybe I can find a group to go with through Craigslist, or something.

Also, the Iron Man Bobbleheads and Harley Quinn statue look sweet.

Robos A Go Go on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I could conceivably go, but I'm wary of doing it alone.

Yea, that is how I was before I found at least one person to come with me. No way would I want to go it alone. Although, I foresee myself and my buddy split up at times throughout the show.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am going. Possibly alone, or possibly with my girlfriend. It's my first con, should be fun.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What are you guys doing for accommodations?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Those mutant ninjas who are also teenage turtles look really, really good, but if there are indeed only 500 of those sets, then that pretty much guarantees I won't be able to get one, I think.

Delduwath on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone else find it weird that Howard Zinn is going to be there? I love his writing and all, but why in god's name is he going to be at a comic book convention?

mightyspacepope on
    edited April 2008

I live close enough to walk, thankfully; hotels in that area probably aren't very cheap.

Is the exclusive merchandise available from the moment the convention opens? There's definitely some stuff I want but I'm wondering what the odds are of me actually getting any of it...

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you guys want to meet and hang out with Khoo and some SE++ people you might want to check out this thread:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=55110

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited April 2008

I think my sister's husband and I are just going for the day Saturday, coming home, then going back up Sunday for the day. Probably either take the train or a bus. I didn't really plan on staying over night. I figured it would be even more expensive of a trip.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • GeddloGeddlo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Taking the train in on Friday and Saturday. Not sure if we're going on Sunday, but it was cheaper to buy a 3 day pass than do it day by day.

I'd like to get a set of the Turtles also. I read that the craetor will be there signing the boxes on Friday.

I'm curious about Artists Corner though if anyone has information on how that works it would be appreciated.

Geddlo on
    edited April 2008
    Geddlo wrote: »
    I'd like to get a set of the Turtles also. I read that the craetor will be there signing the boxes on Friday.

From what I understand, the turtle sets go on sale Saturday morning (when the con opens). With each set, you also get a piece of paper that tells you when to come back later in the day (still on Saturday) to get the box signed. I'm assuming this means that ten people are told to come by at 3, ten are told to come by at 3:15, and so on, so you don't have 500 slavering fanboys pawing at Laird all at once.

Delduwath on
    edited April 2008
    That makes sense.

Geddlo on
    edited April 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »

From what I understand, the turtle sets go on sale Saturday morning (when the con opens). With each set, you also get a piece of paper that tells you when to come back later in the day (still on Saturday) to get the box signed. I'm assuming this means that ten people are told to come by at 3, ten are told to come by at 3:15, and so on, so you don't have 500 slavering fanboys pawing at Laird all at once.

I will make one of these 500 turtles mine.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

I will make one of those 499 turtles mine.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »

I will make one of those 499 turtles mine.

I will miss getting one of the 498 turtles left by a hair and compensate by buying something that costs much more and that I want much less.

Delduwath on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone want to buy me that Iron Man tumbler? Obviously I'd pay shipping as well (gotta love the company UPS account :))

smokmnky on
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone wanna buy me that batman stuff? I'll pay for everything and then maybe a little extra.

Most importantly is that brass paperweight, that would look so good on my desk!

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
    edited April 2008
    Do people bring stuff to get signed by writers/artists? I would love to get some "The Walking Dead" comics signed by whoever. I love that series.

And I assume the PA folks (Tycho and Gabe) aren't going to be there? I looked through who was going to be there and don't believe I saw their names.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2008
    They definitely have added some stuff to the exclusives list.
    harriet.jpg

Kissaki.jpg

kitty.jpg

What the hell is this?
    franken.jpg

Some Star Wars merch:
    c3p0.jpg

r2d2.jpg

r4.jpg

And there is more on the exclusives page for NYCC.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Worsel96Worsel96 A Castle in the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Do people bring stuff to get signed by writers/artists? I would love to get some "The Walking Dead" comics signed by whoever. I love that series.

And I assume the PA folks (Tycho and Gabe) aren't going to be there? I looked through who was going to be there and don't believe I saw their names.

Yep, quite a few people bring stuff to get signed. If you don't have anything, you can probably pick up some backissues cheap at the dealers there but I think quite a few of the artists have issues you can buy from them to have signed as well, though usually at cover price or higher.

Worsel96 on
    edited April 2008
    How long before a panel should you wait in line? Anyone? Anyone?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll be there on Saturday all day with my girlfriend. I'll be the guy with the superman messenger bag...hahaha.

My friend is actually the artist who makes the Bearded Lady toy in the exclusives. He's got a whole line of Carnival Carnie toys coming out.

I'm going to need a bigger bag though for all the exclusives they have, plus i need to get the rest of the Preacher trades and the cons always have specials on TPBs.

I need to buy this exclusive...I don't know why:
    dookie.jpg

reddog on
    reddog.png
    edited April 2008
    I am so overwhelmed with what to do at this thing.

I assume it is possible to walk around all day shopping/browsing and not even hit an panels/events? What are some of the good booths to hit up? And do you think it is worth going to see what video game stuff they have?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2008

I assume it is possible to walk around all day shopping/browsing and not even hit an panels/events? What are some of the good booths to hit up? And do you think it is worth going to see what video game stuff they have?

Last year I went and with all the video game stuff, comic books, toys, taking pictures with everyone in costumes, interactive stuff and then add in the artist's corner...it took up the whole day. There really is so much to do...i'd suggest planning out what you definitely don't want to miss and go to those, then the rest of the time wander.

I only bought a Saturday ticket and I'm pissed that I'll be missing the Doctor Who event on Friday :(

reddog on
    reddog.png
    edited April 2008
    reddog wrote: »

Last year I went and with all the video game stuff, comic books, toys, taking pictures with everyone in costumes, interactive stuff and then add in the artist's corner...it took up the whole day. There really is so much to do...i'd suggest planning out what you definitely don't want to miss and go to those, then the rest of the time wander.

I only bought a Saturday ticket and I'm pissed that I'll be missing the Doctor Who event on Friday :(

Yea, there are 1-2 panels that I can't miss. They are the main reason I am attending the event in the first place. Would you say an hour beforehand is good enough to wait for a panel?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2008
    Yea, there are 1-2 panels that I can't miss. They are the main reason I am attending the event in the first place. Would you say an hour beforehand is good enough to wait for a panel?

Couldn't hurt...I'd say just keep an eye out for that area where the panel is and keep an eye out for a line.

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So it's tomorrow. I'm going. PM me or better yet facebook me if you want to kick it. I'll be in line in a chair about eight or so Friday morning.

august on
    edited April 2008
    Whoa dude. Eight in the morning? Did you get that VIP pass or whatever that will let you in early, or are you going to go in with us mere mortals at three? Because if you're going to line up at eight aiming to get in at three, then...damn. That's dedication.

Those of you guys who've gone in the past, how long are the lines, from your experience? Like, I want to get in at three, but if I show up at two, will the line be fifty miles long?

Delduwath on
  • Worsel96Worsel96 A Castle in the SkyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The line was pretty long last year, stretching for several blocks and wrapping around the Javits Center. It moved pretty quickly though despite that, so you might be in line for 30-45 minutes depending on when you get there. I don't know if they're changing anything up though since it seems like they have more space this year.

Worsel96 on
    edited April 2008
    I went at 10 Sunday last year and it took me two or three hours to get in at least and I missed what I wanted to see.

The line was over a mile long at that time.

So yeah... I want to make sure I hit certain things.

august on
    edited April 2008
    Ugggh I had no idea you needed to arrive that early for these things. I have class until 1:45 tomorrow. :(

What time would you all guess I should get there on Saturday?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    Two to three hours to get inside? That's insane. Means I'll have to seriously readjust my schedule. Not cool.

Delduwath on
    edited April 2008
    It might be better this year. They're "doing things different." But yeah it could be severe.

august on
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, so leaving at 6am Saturday morning seems late now. Haha. Geez.

The whole trip together will probably take 2 hours to get to NY. I guess I will have to adjust our leaving time. Time to make some calls.

I don't think there are any panels I MUST see on Saturday, besides maybe that Star Wars one, but I forget what day it is on. I forsee Saturday being a day of buying tons of shit and taking tons of pics. Sunday is crunch time, when I want to see 1-2 panels.

EDIT: Forgot to ask. Since I ordered my tickets online, that means picking them up at the event. I assume the line will be long as hell for that too? Or is the line to get into CC the same line as picking up your tickets?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2008
    It didn't take me too long to get into the con last year. We got there at like 12 and I was in , coat checked and everything by like 12:40. The biggest annoyance actually was the bus ride there...this time i'm walking from the train station!

reddog on
    reddog.png
    edited April 2008
    reddog wrote: »
    i'm walking from the train station!

This is a special club. Why? Because I am in this club.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Last year was the first year they had NYCC, right? I remember reading about ridiculous logistical issues, and how they really underestimated the crowd size. It's probably safe to assume they've ironed out those kinks this year.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited April 2008
    So, the text for the Ninja Turtles box on the website says
    Peter Laird, co-creator of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, will be appearing at the NECA booth on Saturday, April 19th, from 1PM-3PM, signing a New York Comic Con Exclusive Edition Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Box Set. This set contains all four Ninja Turtle action figures, plus additional accessories and diorama bases. This exclusive, limited to just 500 pieces, will be the only version of the box set to contain all the additional accessories from the single-carded Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Series 1 - in stores this May. The Exclusive Edition box set will cost $50 and is limited to one per guest. Get it at the NECA Booth (1112) while supplies last!

Does that mean they're going to be sold exclusively on Saturday? I don't want to have to worry about it tomorrow if at all possible.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited April 2008
    da freakin Pope (some family guy humor) also will be in town this weekend so expect some major traffic jams and security to be on high alert.

I believe the turtles set is a Saturday giveaway dealie.

Geddlo on
    edited April 2008
    Gosh, there are so many panels I want to go to, not to mention autographs and such. How can I have time for it all? D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png