As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Coast? Nope

ottobclarkottobclark Registered User new member
edited April 2008 in PAX Archive
Is this ever going to happen? I'd love to see one in the Boston Area/NY area. I think there would be more than enough gamers from the PA community to make it worthwhile.

Or has something like this been talked about already?

ottobclark on

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    theres probably about a million threads on it by now ;-)

The consensus here is its not going to happen for a while.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Try using the SEARCH function, next to USER PANEL. You should get all the answers you need. :)

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sigh, that sucks.
    I wonder what it would take for them to consider having one on the East Coast?
    10,000 pre-sold tickets?
    But maybe the east coast is too expensive to do an event, and maybe the logistics of doing an event not in your home town are too daunting as well.
    Has there ever been an official word on an East Coast event from the guys?

ottobclark on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Everybody wants PAX to be in their hometown. PAX however is in Seattle, which is better than your hometown. Don't believe me, go to PAX and you'll see that I'm right.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    the logistics of doing pax here is already pretty daunting...

If you are holding out going to pax in the hope there will be an East coast one soon... I wouldnt hold your breath :P Just fly out for PAX.

BigRed on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We had an official thread to suggest a location for another PAX we got a couple good locations suggested then it turned into "PAX should be in my town cause we got a some what big convention center, some hotels and I don't think the roads that I have known for years aren't as confusing as my first trip to Seattle for PAX this year." Then it just turned into a bunch of bitching and Moe probably closed the thread.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Heh, well lets hope something like this becomes a reality someday. IMO, the east coast is the red headed stepchild of gaming events.....

ottobclark on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That's because all the game companies are based on the west coast, most of them in Seattle itself.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think that they can handle more than one of these events in a calendar year. I also don't think that they really make much actual profit off of PAX so it doesn't make much financial sense to do an East Coast version. Maybe Scott Kurtz can whip up a PVPExpo.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    sobjw wrote: »
    Maybe Scott Kurtz can whip up a PVPExpo.

If he did it would be in texas, still no help to east coasters. I'm just glad I'm on the west siiiiiiide this year so it's feasible to make it to PAX for once.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    sobjw wrote: »
    I don't think that they can handle more than one of these events in a calendar year. I also don't think that they really make much actual profit off of PAX so it doesn't make much financial sense to do an East Coast version. Maybe Scott Kurtz can whip up a PVPExpo.

I remember Khoo saying somewhere that PAX is more or less a break-even event simply to make it as accessible as possible. Sure it's worth a lot more than its price, but PA Inc. actually uses a lot of their sponsorship and exhibition fee money to defray attendees' costs.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ottobclark wrote: »
    Sigh, that sucks.
    10,000 pre-sold tickets?
    But maybe the east coast is too expensive to do an event, and maybe the logistics of doing an event not in your home town are too daunting as well.

We pre-sold 22K tickets last year.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Heh, well lets hope something like this becomes a reality someday. IMO, the east coast is the red headed stepchild of gaming events.....

By east coast, you mean pretty much everything but the west coast.

It's not like there's anything going on in the Midwest, either.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »

By east coast, you mean pretty much everything but the west coast.

It's not like there's anything going on in the Midwest, either.

Depends how you define gaming events. Origins and GenCon Indy are both midwest.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    Sigh, that sucks.
    10,000 pre-sold tickets?

Ok, I meant 50K tickets.... But seriously what would it take to get some East Coast Luvin?

ottobclark on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sigh, that sucks.
    10,000 pre-sold tickets?

Ok, I meant 50K tickets.... But seriously what would it take to get some East Coast Luvin?

Whats stoping you from coming to PAX right now?

Also to answer your question:
    Hookers and blow for everybody!

BigRed on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sigh, that sucks.
    10,000 pre-sold tickets?

It would take $100 pre-reg tickets, $150 at the door, no single day passes, just as many pre-reg tickets.

Most of the Enforcers would have to be flown out to where ever ePAX is at.

Sponsors wouldn't pay nearly what they would now because they have to fly/truck all their people and stuff out (as opposed to driving everything a couple of hours like they do now).

It would be in either Chicago or Atlanta because they're the only two cities logistically prepared and EASILY! capable of handling the every growing attendance numbers of PAX.

The prices I pulled out my ass, and they're probably on the low side. I just got back from attending K/BIS in Chicago. It pulls in around 40,000 people from all over the world. Badges were $55/person, but only because the sponsors of the event have mountains of cash to spend on the event. As an example, Kohler's booth is $3 million plus the cost of transporting it, and the floor rental that the half a city block two story booth takes up, PLUS all the money they spent as a top level sponsor. That's just one of the hundreds of companies that are at the event. PAX isn't even in the same ballpark, league, or country as these guys are money wise. So what if it turns out pre-reg passes were $150/person? Could you swing that? Could 20k other people swing it too?

Basically I'm taking this somewhat angry tone because you didn't search, and we already had a very serious discussion about this. I want PAX to be in my backyard too, but if your backyard isn't one of those two cities then it's not going to happen, ever ever, fucking ever. The only reason Seattle pulls it off is because most of the people live around there. I use K/BIS as another example because it pulls in a crowd very similar to PAX's size. K/BIS had 52 official hotels all within 3 miles of the convention center to accommodate that many people. PAX had 5 official hotels. All 52 K/BIS hotels had on the hour shuttle service to McCormick Place. We were on our own to get to the WSCTC. Does <insert your favorite city here> have those kind of accommodations? If your answer is, "I don't know" then go check. If your answer turns out no, then stop asking. If your answer is yes, then I'll eat my words about Chicago and Atlanta.

</anger>

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    damn yoshamano...

flame.jpg

:P

BigRed on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, I think that about wraps this one up.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Good call

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.