As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This week's moments: 4/16/08

• CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    How is the new GHOST RIDER series, fellas? I'm curious. If you guys think it's decent, I'll probably check it out.

Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider is super schlocky fun.

If you think Ghost Rider fighting a troop of gun toting nurses and also pirate ghost cannibals sounds awesome then you will enjoy it.

Sounds like it's being written by the guy responsible for Dr McNinja.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    The ghost cannibal thing hasn't been explained yet but as for the nurses
    They worship the angel Zadkiel, who's the head of the "black ops" division of the angels. He's the one responsible for Johnny being turned into the Rider, and Johnny's a little upset about that. He also wants the Ghost Rider's power for use in his war against God, and the nurses are trying to kill Johnny in order to speed to process along and help their lord

Me Too! on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Sorry if this has been asked but who was the guy at the end of Captain America?

DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

A clone of Captain America.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks

DarkWarrior on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

No.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited April 2008

No.

When she said, "You're not Steve," I assumed it had something to do with the shadowed portion of the man's face.

Your explanation seems a lot more interesting, though, so I hope it's that. Is there evidence, or is it just a strong guess?

Robos A Go Go on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Yeah, Wakandans aren't very fond of foreigners. This is the most extreme case of it I've seen portrayed, though. I was even more surprised to learn that mutants are tolerated in Wakanda, and that their problem with Nezhno was because his dad was Russian.

to be fair, though, historically tourists to wakanda have only been interested in plundering the vibranium mines and enslaving the population.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Yeah, Wakandans aren't very fond of foreigners. This is the most extreme case of it I've seen portrayed, though. I was even more surprised to learn that mutants are tolerated in Wakanda, and that their problem with Nezhno was because his dad was Russian.

to be fair, though, historically tourists to wakanda have only been interested in plundering the vibranium mines and enslaving the population.

Same with Disney tourists, but they still get good customer service.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

No.

When she said, "You're not Steve," I assumed it had something to do with the shadowed portion of the man's face.

Your explanation seems a lot more interesting, though, so I hope it's that. Is there evidence, or is it just a strong guess?

"The crazy brainwashed Cap of the 1950s" seems like something Brubaker would examine, and he's hit every other part of Cap's history in his run so far. Also, the replacement Cap didn't look exactly like Steve Rogers (the Red Skull cloned body did) - I'm guessing that's what tipped Sharon off.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Good point. Scarred clone seemed a bit cliche to me, but I didn't know about this other character at the time.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's not a clone. Brubaker has said that outright. His last interview about Cap #36 excluded pretty much every guess the interviewer gave him. Except they never asked about ...

The only thing that really makes any sense is that Red Skull used whatever Dr. Doom gave him (and he dug up at the end of the 65th anniversary one-shot (which was awesome, btw)) to pull A Steve Rogers out of time.

Lol! wrote: »
    The ghost cannibal thing hasn't been explained

Ghost cannibals, like... manitoo?

Crimsondude on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Manitoo what

Me Too! on
    edited April 2008
    It's a flesh-eating spirit in some Native myths.

Crimsondude on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think you're thinking of the wendigo - as I understand it, manitous are sort of like spirits-of-things. Like, you can talk to a plant manitou, or a wolf manitou. But I could be wrong.

Delduwath on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I think you're thinking of the wendigo - as I understand it, manitous are sort of like spirits-of-things. Like, you can talk to a plant manitou, or a wolf manitou. But I could be wrong.

No, you're right.

Fellhand on
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited April 2008
    Hercules this week was pretty awesome. Mostly for Athena.

Dareth Ram on
    edited April 2008
    Ah, wendingo. That's what I was thinking of.

Crimsondude on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    Ghost Rider has gotten a lot better with the new team
    Also
    I didn't mean that Vegeance didn't operate in the place of a Rider. I meant that Vengeance didn't use the name Ghost Rider, pretty sure he was always referred to as Vengeance. I could be wrong, though.

No, I think you're right.
    I think Vengeance did call himself Ghost Rider a few times when he took over, but it never stuck.

Danny would make more sense, and be more interesting. But I still want it to be Vengeance

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2008
    Tangent: Superman's Reign #2 was much better this issue. The "history" story is actually pretty interesting.

Garlic Bread on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's not a clone. Brubaker has said that outright. His last interview about Cap #36 excluded pretty much every guess the interviewer gave him. Except they never asked about ...

The only thing that really makes any sense is that Red Skull used whatever Dr. Doom gave him (and he dug up at the end of the 65th anniversary one-shot (which was awesome, btw)) to pull A Steve Rogers out of time.
    Wrong.

Brubaker has already debunked that theory along with a couple of others, this isn't a Steve Rogers from another time.

The closest theory that he didn't shoot down yet is the Grand Director.

He wasn't a clone but for a time, he was Steve Rogers and he was Captain America.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Besides, we're already getting a Cap from a different time with the Invaders thingy.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2008
    He said it's not a clone, a Skrull, or related to Avengers/Invaders.

Please don't try and correct me about what Ed Brubaker does or says.

Crimsondude on
    edited April 2008
    He said it's not a clone, a Skrull, or related to Avengers/Invaders.

Please don't try and correct me about what Ed Brubaker does or says.

-Why?

-Because I am Ed Brubaker.

-GASP!

Robos A Go Go on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    dun dun duuuuun~

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited April 2008
    Heh.

The image of Steve, shadowed as it was, had a blue flash over his left eye and shoulder, and the edges of the shadows suggest a trauma to his left side. The same kind of trauma Bucky suffered when he blew up.

Crimsondude on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Captain America has obviously been turned into one of those half woman half man side show freaks.

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Algertman on
    edited April 2008
    Algertman wrote: »
    Captain America has obviously been turned into one of those half woman half man side show freaks.

ONE OF US ONE OF US

Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2008
    Let me be clear. I'm not discounting Grand Director entirely.

But OTOH, I think that if you're going to tell the world Steve Rogers is alive and kicking ass as Captain America after he was murdered and then buried by God and everyone, then you better be able to prove it's Steve Rogers. Arnim Zola's good, but when they have a toy to access the entire timestream then it's a question of "why bother with an imitator?".

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Algertman wrote: »

ONE OF US ONE OF US

No, he's actually Composite Captain America.

Munch on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is it MVP?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Is it MVP?
    No. For one thing, it looks like Steve, for another, MVP and his clones are already involved in a terrible arc.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I just can't get over my dislike for one of the main characters. I realize the writer is accurately portraying a jackass teenager, but that doesn't make me want to read about him.

Fencingsax on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And as for Ghost Rider, I'd definitely recommend it along with anything Jason Aaron has his fingers on at Marvel. Blaze is a pure badass and the book feels more fresh than it has in decades.

He's pure gold right now and about a year from now, I can guarantee you he's going to be becoming pretty big in the superhero genre.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The thing that got me about Nezhno is that
    His mom even turned him out...and she was the one that fucked the Russian in the first place! They seemed to like each other enough in the picture, it doesn't make sense that she'd go from love to hate so strongly that she'd even abandon her son, just on the basis of him being Russian.

Scooter on
    edited April 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    His mom even turned him out...and she was the one that fucked the Russian in the first place! They seemed to like each other enough in the picture, it doesn't make sense that she'd go from love to hate so strongly that she'd even abandon her son, just on the basis of him being Russian.

It makes sense when you realize that she's remarried and constructed an entirely new life for herself.

This new life is likely dependent on her ignoring her old son.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I just can't get over my dislike for one of the main characters. I realize the writer is accurately portraying a jackass teenager, but that doesn't make me want to read about him.

But Cho was awesome in the most recent issue.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

But Cho was awesome in the most recent issue.
    How? If he's changed from any of his last portrayals, then I'll consider picking up Herc, but from the scans I've seen, he's still acting like an entitled jerk, and I don't particularly want to read about him. Also, the only character that's a literally walking embodiment of a deus ex machina that I like is longshot, because he still screws up.

Fencingsax on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

It makes sense when you realize that she's remarried and constructed an entirely new life for herself.

This new life is likely dependent on her ignoring her old son.

So Wakanda, the most advanced and wealthy nation in Africa is populated entirely by Xenophobic racist dickholes. Gee you couldn't cut through the irony in that place with a machete.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, it doesn't really make sense as anything but an explanation for why Wakanda doesn't share its prosperity with the rest of the world, or even its immediate African neighbors.

Robos A Go Go on