As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Georgia sends teen to prison for 10yrs for...

123457»

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    I don't know the specifics, but that isn't a liberal position. Maybe that was used, in one instance, to combat a conservative trend - I dunno - but that's definitely not something a real "liberal" supports, methinks.
    It's the result of a liberal position. Many victims of child-molestation by priests had no way of putting their attackers onto the registry because they were never charged with a crime, and people freaked out that the result is child-molestors living in communities that don't know about it, working in their churches. So a law was passed that makes it so that someone can be penalised without ever recieving any of their constitutional rights as accused, including trial. Welcome to democracy, most people don't know anything about the legislation they support except the wrong title of the bill, and the bills themselves are only passed because then the legislators get to go to their constituents and say "look how much you love me, I just passed the 'Free Toys for Homeless Children' bill!" and then don't mention that the Free Toys for Homeless Children bill redefines child-molestation to include yelling at someone else's kid and to exclude parents from any such charges involving their own children.

I made that bill up, it's just an example. Look to the "Protection of Marriage Act" and the Patriot Acts for real-world examples.
    Drez wrote:
    And I know this wasn't directed at me, but I do think that most liberals are more sensible than most conservatives. That's how most liberals think. Same goes for conservatives - most of them think that most conservatives are more sensible than most liberals. When you adopt a particular philosophy that makes sense to you, and the opposite philosophy doesn't, isn't it natural to believe the adopters of the opposite philosophy lack sense?
    Because real-life isn't a dichotomy. Which makes your dichotomy here false. Both extremes are completely and totally retarded on nearly every identifiable level. Remind me again what color state NY is, because their senator is the one pushing hardest to impose censorship on videogames at a federal level.
    Drez wrote:
    Only centrists should realistically be expected to believe liberals and conservatives have an equal share of "sense," though they are free to believe both sides are quite dim.
    What if putting political orientation on a convenient graph or diagram doesn't actually tell you anything real at all about how the different political ideologies relate to one another? Do you really think there's a broken-circle or 2-axis graph that can do that?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    VC, can you give me a cite for that law (about putting people on the sex offender registry without a conviction)?

And California needs to fall off into the ocean. I've never hated a place as much as I hated LA when I lived there for seven months.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:
    VC, can you give me a cite for that law (about putting people on the sex offender registry without a conviction)?

And California needs to fall off into the ocean. I've never hated a place as much as I hated LA when I lived there for seven months.
    Apparently not, every thing I try to click on my google search is a dead link.

There we go! Slashdot.
    http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/03/2235250

Some more:
    http://www.midwest-populistamerica.com/articles/no-more-due-process-in-ohio/
    http://www.kxmc.com/getARticle.asp?ArticleId=40183
    http://www.addisonrd.com/WordPress/?p=850 (I like how this one refers to it as "wiki-based sex offender registry")
    http://purplemotes.net/2006/09/04/communicative-punishment/

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Holy crap, that's horrifying.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    LadyM wrote:
    Holy crap, that's horrifying.
    Yes, it is. Unless you trust politicians and court officers. In which case:
    [spoiler:28f86a856d]Santa isn't real.[/spoiler:28f86a856d]

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hmm... it's a civil registry, so that's "some" relief. I'll have to find the actual law, though. I'll search for it later.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:
    Hmm... it's a civil registry, so that's "some" relief. I'll have to find the actual law, though. I'll search for it later.
    The civil registry is only different from the regular registry in that it's called a civil registry.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Raggaholic wrote:

Apparently not, every thing I try to click on my google search is a dead link.

There we go! Slashdot.
    http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/03/2235250

Some more:
    http://www.midwest-populistamerica.com/articles/no-more-due-process-in-ohio/
    http://www.kxmc.com/getARticle.asp?ArticleId=40183
    http://www.addisonrd.com/WordPress/?p=850 (I like how this one refers to it as "wiki-based sex offender registry")
    http://purplemotes.net/2006/09/04/communicative-punishment/

modestproposal.bmp

Raggaholic, I think the best way we can spin this is that it "only" allows for institutionalized slander of wide-reaching impact.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You act like most liberals are at all more sensible than most conservatives. Did you know that in my state you can be put on the sex-offender registry without ever being convicted, charged or even arrested?
    Depending on your definition of "liberal", I'd be inclined to say that liberals are more sensible than conservatives.

If you mean liberal as in "progressive" as opposed to "traditionalist", then yes, that makes more sense. Progressives can always improve the country, whereas traditionalists stagnate.

If you mean liberal as in "oriented toward personal liberties" as opposed to "authoritarian", then yes, that's more sensible. The government cannot be trusted to protect my personal liberties if given the option not to.

If you mean liberal as in "I hate Republicans, wah, wah, wah!" Well, I hate Republicans too, and people like that just give me a bad name. :D

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So what are the chances of his getting out in 6 months for good behavior?

Also, shouldn't he be going to juvie for being under 18?

Sam on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sam wrote:
    So what are the chances of his getting out in 6 months for good behavior?

Also, shouldn't he be going to juvie for being under 18?

Nah, see, he'll never learn his lesson properly unless we sentence him to a good, ol' fashioned ass pounding!

Goddamnit, Georgia.

And that story about the gang-rapes in the OC nearly made me put my fist through my monitor.

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:
    Does this even merit one year in prison? I mean, I know so many white kids in my rich suburban neighborhood who have done things far worse than this, and with even bigger age differences.

I don't think you get what happened here.

A black guy. A BLACK guy.

Touched a white female in some manner or other.

That's the deadliest sin there is.

Not to undermine the race card, since people love it so much, but I have a question: I haven't had an opportunity to read the whole thread, but was the girl here even white? I was under the impression from earlier articles that the females in this case were black. There was a similar case with white female "victims", but in this case I thought they were black.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You know, reading this thread really cemented this feeling I have: I am so goddamn lucky to be living in Canada.

Ranx on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Did you know that in my state you can be put on the sex-offender registry without ever being convicted, charged or even arrested?

:shock:

Canada may be cold, but my love of freedom keeps me warm.

:P

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:
    Does this even merit one year in prison? I mean, I know so many white kids in my rich suburban neighborhood who have done things far worse than this, and with even bigger age differences.

Not to undermine the race card, since people love it so much, but I have a question: I haven't had an opportunity to read the whole thread, but was the girl here even white? I was under the impression from earlier articles that the females in this case were black. There was a similar case with white female "victims", but in this case I thought they were black.

The thing is, if racial hatred isn't behind this, this might actually be -scarier-.

Racial hatred is something that might be able to be used to undermine the draconian sentence.

But if the sole, genuine reason here is that people are so offended that this guy didn't take the risk of knocking the girl up, then OH FUCK.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I would suggest that we encourage all these southern fuckwit fundie rednecks to do everything they can to preserve the "white race" by only breeding with eachother.

In a few generations, once their offspring are too developmentally retarded to remember which hole to stick it in, we bash them over the head with their own sodomy laws, and sterilize the lot of them.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    I would suggest that we encourage all these southern fuckwit fundie rednecks to do everything they can to preserve the "white race" by only breeding with eachother.

In a few generations, once their offspring are too developmentally retarded to remember which hole to stick it in, we bash them over the head with their own sodomy laws, and sterilize the lot of them.

Have you heard of Raymond, CA?

It doesn't work as well as you'd think.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

The thing is, if racial hatred isn't behind this, this might actually be -scarier-.

Racial hatred is something that might be able to be used to undermine the draconian sentence.

But if the sole, genuine reason here is that people are so offended that this guy didn't take the risk of knocking the girl up, then OH FUCK.
    She's white but it is really hard to find a press release from a well known website with that information in it.
    In February 2003, 18 year-old Marcus Dixon, who is African American, was arrested and charged with imprisonment, sexual battery, aggravated assault, misdemeanor statutory rape and aggravated child molestation of a 15-year-old White girl.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I had a good reply going but then I read the bits where this has a foot in race. I decided I was better off forgetting about this.

I can't help but feel pretty fucking bad for that guy though. Mistake or no, he's losing a decade of his life for head.

[spoiler:22be7c1fa0]So if this is the way the law works, can I get some jailtime for the guy who slept with my girlfriend last week?[/spoiler:22be7c1fa0]

[spoiler:22be7c1fa0]And am I legally entitled to kick her in the taco now?[/spoiler:22be7c1fa0]

Ugh. </vent>

Touché, Incenjucar. Ninja edit for realspoiler abuse.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    (Dude, no abusing Real spoilers)

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    FreddyD wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:

She's white but it is really hard to find a press release from a well known website with that information in it.
    In February 2003, 18 year-old Marcus Dixon, who is African American, was arrested and charged with imprisonment, sexual battery, aggravated assault, misdemeanor statutory rape and aggravated child molestation of a 15-year-old White girl.

You're conflating two cases. Marcus Dixon is the other similar case I was referring to when I posted the question. In Dixon's case, the victim WAS white. The case mentioned here is a different one. I believe from what I've read that the victim here wasn't white.

For clarification, the Marcus Dixon case was an 18 year old with a 15 year old, where the assailant was black and the victim was white. Nearly every article I've read about that case mentions the victim's race. This current case is the Genarlow Wilson case, with a 17 year old black defendant. No article I've seen mentions the victim to be white, which leads me to belive she wasn't, since that's a noteworthy point.

It's a stupid law to be sure, but I'm not sure it's accurate to point fingers at "whitey being upset because a black guy got with a white girl."

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Seriously, a black guy and a white girl? What is happening to our fair and gated community? You'd almost think these people have never even heard of the master race. WE DO NOT MIX WITH THESE PEOPLE. So say our Nordic and Saxon lords.

Are you trying to get Mjolnir shoved up your ass?

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.